Kurushii

[P4AU] News & Gameplay Discussion

What if Jin and Noel from Blazblue were the final 2 charcters in the Update..It would be pretty cool but it would piss a lot of pepole off. Maybe Noel's Persona could look like Mu-12 and Jin's Persona could look like Hakuman..just an idea

Nah, Relius would be a much better fit. Plus, think of all the fun he'd have in a game filled with high school students.

Man, what? At high level, there's already been a shift away from SMP and towards skull combos. SMP Loop is strong but not even close to "the only thing keeper her somewhat viable."

Agreed, while a little situational, her Instant Deaths are way to dangerous if left unchecked! If you get knocked down to zero on the fate counter, you better be prepared to eat a Mudoon or Hamaon!

Also looking at the big scheme a things, Naoto is probably a better jack of all trades character then a zoner. She can't win matches zoning alone, and her rush down games needs some support from her persona and traps. So I guess I can see why they altered her play style a bit.

Also, in the first game. I think the reason they had her damage output below average was because of her Instant Death Mechanic. I think they kinda wanted to make her a little dependent on it, but it didn't work out in the big scheme of things. You know?

Well, at least I don't have to worry about learning the SMP Loop anymore.

On another note, has the character select artwork changed at all, or are they using the same portraits?

Shadow Labrys

6 Persona cards

New additions:

Public Execution ([2]8 C or D)

Anti-air grab.

Chain Knuckle

Same as Labrys' version.

- 2C and 8C are having their commands swapped.

- Guillotine Axe, ground 214A or B, now groundbounces rather than giving hard knockdown.

- 2B > 5B chain removed.

- Furious Action no longer wallbounces on counterhit.

- Massive Slaughter ([4]6 C or D) grants Fear on hit.

- When using Titanomachia, number of attacks is shown above gauge.

- After titanomachia ends, a separate (ox) gauge appears, cannot use persona until gauge fully recovers.

With info translated from stunedge's notes (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s43/sh/0e9b830d-5702-4866-a1d5-0c8e1e1c2a8f/c7f1fbbc1497cce8cfc1b1cf907c8732) by KayEff.

Not quite sure how to feel about ground Guillotine's change. Maybe it's possible for the groundbounce to knock the opponent into properly timed Persona attacks. I can see myself having....trouble adjusting to 8C and 2C's switch. Did 2B actually chain into 5B or did you possibly mean 2A>5B?

On another note, has the character select artwork changed at all, or are they using the same portraits?

I do believe all the character select portraits are exactly the same sans the Shadow versions of course.

Looks like they're all the same, along with the sprites. Does make me wonder how the Shadow Versions will look in-game. As they are now, visually, they don't look that much different than the normal characters.

Not quite sure how to feel about ground Guillotine's change. Maybe it's possible for the groundbounce to knock the opponent into properly timed Persona attacks. I can see myself having....trouble adjusting to 8C and 2C's switch. Did 2B actually chain into 5B or did you possibly mean 2A>5B?

2B and 5B chained into each other, but you couldn't do both in one string. Now the 2B > 5B chain is gone.

And yeah, Shabrys' changes might be generally looked at as nerfs, but there's interesting stuff there. I'm hype for new moves and EX Titanomachia.

As is 5C being able to cause the paralysis effect. That ought to give him some more control over his opponent's movement since his Furious Action was hardly intimidating and Zio was very unlikely to hit.

I thought Kanji had one of the best DP's in the game since uh y'know, basically 1-frame startup, paralyzes, beats disjointed attacks for some dumb reason, etc.

I find a lot of these changes hilarious. Some are neat (Kanji can command grab even during Persona Break), sure, but stuff like "Yu sweep no longer goes into 5D" is just lol. It's one thing to nerf his oki, but remove it entirely? That's basically asking for a total character redesign.

Also, @ Liz mains: I'd hold out hope. Most of what Liz needed was hitbox buffs, right? Those'd be a little harder to notice.

I know it's almost like they don't want Narukami to be so over-the-top braindead anymore. I'm cool with him being different. (I play Yu)

Edited by Beautiful Death

Man, what? At high level, there's already been a shift away from SMP and towards skull combos. SMP Loop is strong but not even close to "the only thing keeper her somewhat viable."

I agree that it's important to know when to go for Fate counters over damage, especially if it's the first round. You shouldn't always go for SMP damage and it depends on factors like their remaining Burst, what resources you have, etc. But I still think Naoto would be pretty terrible if she didn't have the SMP loop in this version of the game. She can get decent damage with vanilla Mudoon combos but that doesn't mean much against characters like Mitsuru or Aigis that can sneeze on you and take off half of your life bar with little resources.

Maybe "only thing keeping her viable" was an exaggeration, but I feel like you really need to know how to confirm into SMP off every random hit to be competitive with her.The other aspects of her gameplay alone aren't enough to make other characters that are strictly better at neutral, okizeme, etc. respect her without the threat of huge damage, which is why I disagreed with the notion that it wasn't "extremely necessary".

Edited by Zeromus_X

I thought Kanji had one of the best DP's in the game since uh y'know, basically 1-frame startup, paralyzes, beats disjointed attacks for some dumb reason, etc.

It also has a asston of recovery and any character with higher speed than him (i.e all of them) can bait it out pretty easily.

It also has a asston of recovery and any character with higher speed than him (i.e all of them) can bait it out pretty easily.
Yeah, but the only DPs I can think of without big recovery are Yosuke's and Chie's. The super armor on that move was intense, and it had a lot of active frames.

I think the paralysis, 1-frame startup and disjointed immunity probably makes up for that.

And oh I'm fairly certain that his DP doesn't really have any more recovery then other DP's do it just lasts a long time because it has a million active frames. Yeah.

Eh maybe I never saw Kanji's DP as scary since all I ever had to do, as Lizzie, is lob one Maziodyne at a distance and problem solved. Also, apparently I had it wrong: it isn't Kanji's 5C that paralyzes. It is his Shadow version that does that.

I think the paralysis, 1-frame startup and disjointed immunity probably makes up for that.

And oh I'm fairly certain that his DP doesn't really have any more recovery then other DP's do it just lasts a long time because it has a million active frames. Yeah.

It actually doesnt have an attack hitbox until the 13th frame, what youre thinking of is the counter portion of it. And just like yosuke/chie/teddie, in that sense, they all have 1f startup lol. It also does NOT have invuln to disjointed attacks, its more likely that you never realized something wasnt actually disjointed.

Paralysis also isnt very effective since the only realistic time youll hit with it, as a counter, it allows you to tech in the air, giving you a plethora as options as any character to protect yourself afterward, or just pressure kanji for trying. :V

edit: and both versions have paralysis on 5C hit, btw.

Edited by Omex

Something hit me a while back. I recall someone once telling me that the combat in P4A lacked an aspect that most 2D fighters utilize. I believe mix-up was the one they were convinced was missing. Would any of you agree with this or was there something else missing from the original P4A's combat?

Something hit me a while back. I recall someone once telling me that the combat in P4A lacked an aspect that most 2D fighters utilize. I believe mix-up was the one they were convinced was missing. Would any of you agree with this or was there something else missing from the original P4A's combat?

I argee, mix ups aren't really that important because of the lack of barrier guarding/faultless defense like mechanic that's present in BlazBlue and Guilty Gear.

The focus is more on instant blocking, and not getting hit.

FD system. Whoever said it was missing mixup must've only played something like Labrys vs Liz.

Hmm, a Faultless Defense system...well looking at the recently revealed videos, it wouldn't seem like they're adding the function. I guess they figured since you cannot kill someone via chip damage, it wasn't necessary. Though I guess I can understand the lack of mix-up too. Barring AOA, I don't think there were many characters with overhead attacks. Then again, it's been ages since I last played someone at P4A so my memory is likely very incorrect.

Mixup isn't strictly limited to high/low, and there was plenty of mixup in P4A. S.Labrys, Yu, Chie, Mitsuru, Yukiko, and Aigis all have good high/low and/or crossup options. Teddie as well, I suppose, since that AOA crossup can be kinda dirty.

Mixup isn't strictly limited to high/low' date=' and there was plenty of mixup in P4A. S.Labrys, Yu, Chie, Mitsuru, Yukiko, and Aigis all have good high/low and/or crossup options. Teddie as well, I suppose, since that AOA crossup can be kinda dirty.[/quote']

True, but I wouldn't say there as important as would be in BlazBlue, or Guilty Gear.

But none the less, a lot of characters have Overheads and Lows.

Mixup isn't strictly limited to high/low' date=' and there was plenty of mixup in P4A. S.Labrys, Yu, Chie, Mitsuru, Yukiko, and Aigis all have good high/low and/or crossup options. Teddie as well, I suppose, since that AOA crossup can be kinda dirty.[/quote']

Explains why I had no idea. Of the characters you mentioned all I ever seemed to fight on a regular basis were Yu, Chie and Mitsuru. I've faced all of 2 Teddies online, with 4 Aigis, 3 S.Labrys, 7 Akihiko and a Yosuke with a strange influx of Kaji players near the end of my P4A "career". And most of the ones with good mix-up were pretty terrible. It was like they were following a flowchart. If I zapped them with Maziodyne, the Yu player would jump and Raging Lion...right into Thanny's 2C. When that didn't work, they used (SB)Swift Strike, forgetting everyone had a dodge mechanic. Rinse and repeat until they lay dead. Only Mitsuru ever gave me grief but then again it's Mitsuru.

Edited by Luminos564

It actually doesnt have an attack hitbox until the 13th frame, what youre thinking of is the counter portion of it. And just like yosuke/chie/teddie, in that sense, they all have 1f startup lol. It also does NOT have invuln to disjointed attacks, its more likely that you never realized something wasnt actually disjointed.

Paralysis also isnt very effective since the only realistic time youll hit with it, as a counter, it allows you to tech in the air, giving you a plethora as options as any character to protect yourself afterward, or just pressure kanji for trying. :V

edit: and both versions have paralysis on 5C hit, btw.

I know it isn't active until frame 13. But if you are stuck and cannot do ANYTHING (no jump cancel, special cancel, rapid, etc. ) until the attack hits you............that is pretty much a 1-frame start up for what matters. and YES. IT DOES. HAVE. DISJOINTED INVULN. Or whatever is going on. All I know is that disjointed attacks aren't safe against it. I do not know what you are talking about when you say it does not. I poke it with Mitsu's 5A from max range- I get hit. Yu's 5B. Yeah I'm pretty sure you're wrong. It's like you get stuck and then the lightning travels through your sword and hits you or some shit. Persona attacks work because personas are considered separate from the character. And certain normals like Aigis's 5B don't cause her to get stuck because well, Aigis's it counts as a projectile.

I know it isn't active until frame 13. But if you are stuck and cannot do ANYTHING (no jump cancel, special cancel, rapid, etc. ) until the attack hits you............that is pretty much a 1-frame start up for what matters. and YES. IT DOES. HAVE. DISJOINTED INVULN. Or whatever is going on. All I know is that disjointed attacks aren't safe against it. I do not know what you are talking about when you say it does not. I poke it with Mitsu's 5A from max range- I get hit. Yu's 5B. Yeah I'm pretty sure you're wrong. It's like you get stuck and then the lightning travels through your sword and hits you or some shit. Persona attacks work because personas are considered separate from the character. And certain normals like Aigis's 5B don't cause her to get stuck because well, Aigis's it counts as a projectile.

"Take-Mikazuchi gives Kanji an electric aura and autoguards any incoming attacks. If the opponent touches or attacks Kanji, then they get hit and become shocked." Indeed, anything that isn't a projectile or invulnerable striking Kanji will get "caught" regardless of how disjoint they may be.

"Take-Mikazuchi gives Kanji an electric aura and autoguards any incoming attacks. If the opponent touches or attacks Kanji, then they get hit and become shocked." Indeed, anything that isn't a projectile or invulnerable striking Kanji will get "caught" regardless of how disjoint they may be.

actual disjointed attacks don't trigger the retaliation. liz's j.b and 2b do not trigger it because they're, you know, disjointed seperately from her. persona attacks? "Persona attacks work because personas are considered separate from the character" there's a word for this. the word is 'disjointed'. long range attacks do not necessarily mean 'disjointed'. big difference. it varies from game to game, but in persona it's very consistent-anything directly attached to your character rather than your persona isn't disjointed. also, 13f is 13f-the 'retaliation counter' activates instantly if you hit it, but that's the same for hte other counters-the instant your attack hits, they activate. no different.

just don't want people spreading misinformation lol