Kurushii

[P4AU] News & Gameplay Discussion

soft banned over in Japan

They're definitely ~not~ soft banned lmao. They're allowed in any tourney, and they aren't bad, but lack of a burst still screws them over.

And here's the reason Liz's place is rising: They found out how to get damage with her again, even off shitty starters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3aFCle-zJk

Shadows in 1.1 seem to be more different then inferior/superior. Some characters will benefit more with shadows then others though and maybe for certain matchups as well. So far seen constant arcade footage of S. Narukami, S. Yosuke, S. Chie, S. Kanji, S. Mitsuru, and some S. Naoto.

Advantage

- 2k health buff

- Meter gain increase on hit/being hit

- Meter carries over between rounds

- berserk mode (100 meter, easy to cancel into and can convert into big damage that can kill non-awakened opponents in 1.1 even at .8 damage ratio)

- Awakening Supers at anytime if you have the 50 meter.

Neutral +/-

- old auto combo used

Disadvantage

- .8 damage ratio

- No bursts (regular, gold, OMB)

- No Awakening Mode (means so sudden extra 50 SP/150 meter cap or defense buff for the remaining health once you past the health threshold in neutral)

If you played KoF or even SF enough that you know how to take full advantage of proper meter management then you will get the most payoff with shadows. Otherwise you should stick with the more stable regular that guarantees you a burst and awakening mode crutch.

That tier list is just MikeMuscles's opinion. I kinda agree with it, except for Naoto's and Yukiko's placements.

As for Shadow characters, I saw plenty of them already in 1.1. I can't really tell if they're worse or not compared to their normal versions, I guess it varies by character.

For example: While Normal Junpei can Burst and deals good damage, S.Junpei gains SO much SP due to being a Shadow type + Victory Cry that he can get 100 in a heartbeat and deal huge damage. Depending on the match-up, I might have to decide which one.

Edited by Strife

Adachi, Rise, Ken are on this list. Move along people. Taking them out and this list is still a bit shaky. Opinions

As for Shadow characters, I saw plenty of them already in 1.1. I can't really tell if they're worse or not compared to the normal versions, I guess it varies by character.

For example: While Normal Junpei can Burst and deals good damage, S.Junpei gains SO much SP due to being a Shadow type + Victory Cry that he can get 100 in a heartbeat and deal huge damage. Depending on the match-up, I might have to decide which one.

Yeah it seems like some Shadow Characters are way more potent than others, or at least look that way. 

Also kind of out of left field but can the opponent burst during Shadow Rage combos? I figured it was like BBCP overdrive where if they start comboing you cant burst at all. From most of the matches I've watched they just take it though.

So is the general consensus that Shadow characters are still worse than their non-shadow counterparts even with the buffs they got?

Characters that dont rely on meter outside combos and with decent defensive options are the best Shadow characters.

For example, Shadow Aigis is a worse counterpart because besides having lower damage output, she *needs* to spend meter on EX Megidos and therefore can't get the most out of Shadow Berserk.

Now when you compare her with Shadows like Yu and Mitsuru it becomes obvious why they are one of the best Shadows.

Adachi already getting tier placement based on a a few screenshots and a vague description of his play-style? I don't even think we should even rate Rise and Ken yet either.

Guys, that list was a bait. Just letting you all know.

Also kind of out of left field but can the opponent burst during Shadow Rage combos? I figured it was like BBCP overdrive where if they start comboing you cant burst at all. From most of the matches I've watched they just take it though.

Yes, you can Burst during Shadow Berserk. I figured the best way to fight a Shadow type is to save your Burst for these combos. The only problem is, if you save it, you're gonna have to eat all the regular combos, losing HP and momentum little by little.

Edited by Strife

Yes, you can Burst during Shadow Berserk. I figured the best way to fight a Shadow type is to save your Burst for these combos. The only problem is, if you save it, you're gonna have to eat all the regular combos, losing HP and momentum little by little.

Thats kind of a bummer. Curious why they didnt make them non-burstable like BBCP. 

Thats kind of a bummer. Curious why they didnt make them non-burstable like BBCP. 

My thoughts exactly. We'd probably see more Shadow play too if this were the case, but then again characters like S.Junpei might have their own tier above everyone.

Also, when tier lists are actually made, are shadow counterparts going to factor into a character's placement or naw?

Because then that would tip the scales in favor for shadows even more if the regular character burst usefulness is greatly reduced against a shadow since berserk mode combos is their big weapon.

Ideally if your a shadow you would wait until the opponent uses their burst before you enter berserk anyway and they will use burst sooner or later if you keep hurting them.

Even if they burst immediately during berserk mode it doesn't end right away and your still a big threat that can throw out Ex specials, OMC, and supers in quick succession during the duration. Not to mention getting 100 meter as a shadow is typically faster then waiting for the burst gauge to fill up.

Along with Adachi's page being selectable on the main page, you can also listen to some of his voice clips if your interested. No video, like stated earlier though.

Because then that would tip the scales in favor for shadows even more if the regular character burst usefulness is greatly reduced against a shadow since berserk mode combos is their big weapon.

Ideally if your a shadow you would wait until the opponent uses their burst before you enter berserk anyway and they will use burst sooner or later if you keep hurting them.

Even if they burst immediately during berserk mode it doesn't end right away and your still a big threat that can throw out Ex specials, OMC, and supers in quick succession during the duration. Not to mention getting 100 meter as a shadow is typically faster then waiting for the burst gauge to fill up.

Thats very true, I can understand the reason a bit more now. Still it kind of bugs me however. Its also true that S.chars gain meter a lot quicker via combos out of zerk mode anyways right so I guess its not as bad if they burst mid combo or whatever. Ahwell. 

Well, you have to think about S.Mitsuru a bit more. When she does her berserk mode combos, it's near impossible to burst it. Once she does droit, you're in SB bufula, which can't be burst, she then does mabufu, myraid, and you're dead basically. So S.Mitsuru is probably one of the better shadows.

In my opinion I think some of the better shadows are characters who already have high HP like Mitsuru and Yu and can easily do their berserk combo from any starter. Mitsuru has the benefit of having good range, so she can build meter really easily.

Narukami high health? Anyway going back to the video yukari is not unsightly dammit lol

Ive played the first game I've known that for a while. This is my waifu so im just pretending to be a baby about it

The titles are supposed to be insulting.

Funny thing about them is that a good number of them are not insulting though. Lizzie, Labrys, Shadow Labrys, Sho and MINAZUKI all have titles that don't sound insulting or demeaning. Rather, they sound rather threatening. "Lethal Elevator Attendant", "Raging Bull of Destruction", "Scar-faced Dark Messiah"? All titles refer to them as someone you don't want to run into in a dark alley.

As for the Yukari E3 footage, I like it. Would have liked to see more, but I'll take what I can get.