Kurushii

[P4AU] News & Gameplay Discussion

Imo, most reasonable theory is that shadow frenzy requires a burst to be done, but can be done with any amount of meter stocked

That's what I'm thinking too.

That would make most shadows most interesting.  Having a Hakumen Mugen mode is great for characters like Hakumen, but most of the P4U cast, given the crazy SP gain rate shadows have, just simply benefit the most from hoarding all their SP till they hit 100, hit confirming, and then using Shadow Frenzy to end the round. 

Removing Shadow Frenzy from SP use would actually allow Shadows to more actively use their SP with wild abandon throughout the match.  I wonder though, if Shadow Frenzy is activated with a burst, would it be like Tsubaki's Mugen where the time is proportional to your amount of meter?

Imo, most reasonable theory is that shadow frenzy requires a burst to be done, but can be done with any amount of meter stocked

I was about to post some other theory I had, but this makes way more sense to me! But if it would be the case, what if there is less than 100 SP when you do the shadow burst then?

That's what I'm thinking too.

That would make most shadows most interesting.  Having a Hakumen Mugen mode is great for characters like Hakumen, but most of the P4U cast, given the crazy SP gain rate shadows have, just simply benefit the most from hoarding all their SP till they hit 100, hit confirming, and then using Shadow Frenzy to end the round. 

Removing Shadow Frenzy from SP use would actually allow Shadows to more actively use their SP with wild abandon throughout the match.  I wonder though, if Shadow Frenzy is activated with a burst, would it be like Tsubaki's Mugen where the time is proportional to your amount of meter?

Assuming that it happens like this model, I think it's a pretty good buff overall. A lot of Shadows would benefit from the bonus properties of SP skills (not to mention the reversal potentials of Awakening supers). Plus you would be able to cancel an SP skill into Shadow Berserk, which might be just the round finisher they need.

It wouldn't shake up the higher-tiered Shadows too much - Chie wants as much SP as possible to maximize her Burst-safe combos, as with Mitsuru and Yu, and Shadows like Yukiko and Kanji will still want a full SP bar (and won't get that much benefit from hoarding SP except for their supers or squeezing out damage), but those like Yukari, Junpei and Teddie would benefit a lot from this change.

I was about to post some other theory I had, but this makes way more sense to me! But if it would be the case, what if there is less than 100 SP when you do the shadow burst then?

You'd have less time until the meter runs out so it would be fair, not all combos would work. They also could change the rate that it goes down at to encourage saving meter maybe, but that seems more complicated.

I'm taking a shot in left field but the burst, so expect a few stupid ideas. 1. They may gain the use of maybe 1 burst per match cause it seem like the start of the match, but that would be a problem once you get 100 SP. 2. Maybe are able to begin berserk at 50 SP Im saying this to the purple outline of the burst and the sp bar but it could be part of the 2.0 design and what would make them easily get it back with a quick combo, maybe reducing the sp gain to normal for the rest of the round?

Throwing a dart in the dark, but predicting shadows can now burst at the cost of meter as another option to Berserk. Potentially broken because of how relatively fast shadows gain/keep meter.

Uhh, so if Shadow characters will be able to Burst and IK, why would you ever pick a non-Shadow version? Just for the auto-combos? There must be something I'm missing here.

Non shadows do more damage since current shadows are at a 0.8 ratio. Some shadows though don't care about doing less damage because they either do enough damage even at 0.8 (Thanks to berserk) or have an alternative to kill you without depleting HP (S. Naoto). 

Non Shadows also have awaken mode as a comeback crutch since it gives defense buff + instant 50 meter+ meter cap extension to 150 once you pass a certain health value threshold in neutral. That advantage is not the most reliable/consistent because it's pretty common to kill a character (with no burst left) before it even activates or at the very least leave the opponent at little health that makes the defense buff nearly meaningless.

Auto combos can be pretty significant depending on the character (Kanji is the biggest example). Even if Shadows get Burst, they still won't get the benefits of Gold Burst (instant SP restore, refilling Persona cards), or OMB (which can be pretty useful depending on the character, e.g. Junpei).

I don't think they intended for the shadows to have TOD like they do. I for one will be forever grateful if that shit gets eradicated.

How in the world would you look at Shadow Frenzy and think "yeah this won't lead to a lot of damage"? If you got rid of their ability to deal heavy damage off of their only mechanic, this is all they'd get:

+ greater meter gain

+ access to awakening supers at all times

+ additional 2000 max life

- no awakening

- 80% damage compared to normal

- no Burst

vanilla autocombos

which would be incredibly bland for the effort of implementing Shadow mode in the first place.

Hmmm, I'm sure Arc's improvements, whatever they turn out to be, will make shadow characters more viable. The most likely would probably be a CP hybrid where they can either burst or sacrifice a burst for shadow frenzy (loosing the gold burst option that normal characters had).

But what I want to know is if you guys think shadow versions of Yukari, Junpei, Ken/ Koromaru and Rise will get their own unique auto-combos? Or maybe the normal versions of these characters will get new autos and the shadows will stay the same.

Heavy damage is like 5K. TOD is 7-8k. That's retarded, normal characters do heavy damage off of fatal combos. Shadow Chie get 7K off a 5A haha.

I've always considered 3k+ good damage.

I've always considered 3k+ good damage.

^This. Usually a Bnb in this game is about 1.5~2K of damage. Better bnbs (of better starters, better hitconfirms or using SP) are from 2.3K to more than 3K, still those are situational.

Shadows combos in Shadow Berserk can do a lot of damage from any starter, a normal character can't do that.

I think they wanted shadow combos to be like an on demand fatal combo not corner fatal combo dmg + 2k lol. For the love of god increase the untechable time on Mitsurus 2D diag ice whip its to inconsistent to combo up backer in the corner.

I wonder what the deal is with the purple in the HUD. Makes me think of other Persona games.

Also, ASW tweeted about it at https://twitter.com/ARCSY_Event/status/533093896176156673. Says the game will release in 2015 and that loketests will begin next Friday.

Both the Famitsu and Dengeki articles already mentioned the release being in January 2015, though the Famitsu article put in some disclaimer about "this date is subject to change, blahblah".

Have we heard anything other than the fact that the update is happening and shadows are getting reworked?

Have we heard anything other than the fact that the update is happening and shadows are getting reworked?

We're not going to hear anything until the loketests next week.

TS Lord Knight decided to finally make a tier list for the console version, with some really solid explanations behind his placements on his website.  Nice to finally see an explanation on why people think Yosuke is so dominant now.  He even rates each character in the categories of Neutral, Offense, Mixup, Damage, Defense and Awakening.  Just a great read overall.  As someone who hasn't seen or even fought Shadow Teddie, I'm curious, does he have some really nasty mixup or gimmick in Shadow Fury, perhaps with Circus Bear, to warrant the mention LK gave him, despite lumping him in Shadow with the rest of the "undesirables?"

http://www.lord-knight.com/p4u2-character-ranking-character-stats/