Kurushii

[P4AU] News & Gameplay Discussion

So many guys are getting tagged by AOAs in these 2.0 vids. I already got hit by them sometimes ( specifically by Adachi or Yukari) but this scares me a little.

That's not very reassuring to hear. Blocking and punishing AOAs was one of the few semi-reliable ways that I could escape pressure, and even then I'm already getting tagged by them at least 75% of the time they're used. Them having faster startup and being harder to punish on top of the armor does me no favors, particularly against people who mash them on defense. Even GG had the sense not to make Dusts universally armored. :vbang:

That's not very reassuring to hear. Blocking and punishing AOAs was one of the few semi-reliable ways that I could escape pressure, and even then I'm already getting tagged by them at least 75% of the time they're used. Them having faster startup and being harder to punish on top of the armor does me no favors, particularly against people who mash them on defense. Even GG had the sense not to make Dusts universally armored. :vbang:

Not everyone is equally as well armored; SHO's armor only really kicks in just as his attack comes out; he has an extra long since it teleports and crosses up.  All it does is prevent it from being pathetically bad; you can still mash out of it with most of the characters, I believe.

Not everyone is equally as well armored; SHO's armor only really kicks in just as his attack comes out; he has an extra long since it teleports and crosses up.  All it does is prevent it from being pathetically bad; you can still mash out of it with most of the characters, I believe.

Don't forget that it can be thrown if they're close.

Haha, I'm sure that they're generally reasonable (or even bad) at high level play when looking across the whole cast. But playing frequently against a friend's Chie has scarred me for life - I still have PTSD from our vanilla P4 sessions.

Just for research purposes, can you name your friend who plays Chie? I happen to main Chie as well. Can you PM that? I've been reluctant to learn anything about characters since 2.0 is new and will change everything.

Also, isnt throwing an AOA still hard since you have to have the reactions for it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm really not sure about how the whole Patch 2.0 is turning out. Has it reached console versions yet????

No. It released last week in Arcades but a console release in general has not been announced yet so no dates. 

As for AOAs, people are probably just getting hit by it because it's week 1 and people are more concerned about relearning their character than being on point on defense. I don't expect much to change about AOAs in the long run. The only difference now is that when your AOA gets blocked, instead of getting punished, your pressure will probably just come to and end. People might go for it more because of this though since the risks aren't as bad this time around. 

No. It released last week in Arcades but a console release in general has not been announced yet so no dates. 

As for AOAs, people are probably just getting hit by it because it's week 1 and people are more concerned about relearning their character than being on point on defense. I don't expect much to change about AOAs in the long run. The only difference now is that when your AOA gets blocked, instead of getting punished, your pressure will probably just come to and end. People might go for it more because of this though since the risks aren't as bad this time around. 

At mid and high level yeah, but in low level netplay they don't give a single fuck and spam that thing like there's no tomorrow.

*Tear tear* Oh well...

On the other hand what's Sho like compared to Minazuki anyways? (Referring to the last page)

I honestly find the two equally as stressing to block honestly.

*Tear tear* Oh well...

On the other hand what's Sho like compared to Minazuki anyways? (Referring to the last page)

I honestly find the two equally as stressing to block honestly.

Pretty much the key differences are that Sho's neutral game is more footsies oriented and involve mostly using his good normals, movement and his projectiles to get in on the opponent. Once he's in, Sho has really good high/low/left/right mixups that can be scary to deal with when in the hands of a skilled Sho.

On the other hand, Minazuki has a wider array of neutral tools thanks to his Persona normals and teleport being added on to a lot of Sho's already good stuff (normals and projectiles). As a result, Minazuki has a neutral game that not only gives him a good set of tools to pretty much deal with any character/situation but also allows him to play an oppressive neutral game that can bully people into playing at his pace and eventually make costly mistakes. While he doesn't really have as scary high/low/left/right mixups as Sho, Minazuki is still scary to block for reasons Anne specified a page back or two and also because every time he opens you up, it's probably going to hurt, especially if he has meter for a Wings of Purgatory extension. 

I've read on twitter that 2.01 drops in a week. Do you guys know if it's true?

I guess it'll be an arcade patch for bugfixes such as Junpei's SB move costing 50sp or so but it's still nice to hear things are going fast. Just hope they don't hurry things too much if it's true

I've read on twitter that 2.01 drops in a week. Do you guys know if it's true?

I guess it'll be an arcade patch for bugfixes such as Junpei's SB move costing 50sp or so but it's still nice to hear things are going fast. Just hope they don't hurry things too much if it's true

https://twitter.com/cw_ishibashi/status/558173198131273729

psr fix, golden arena burst bug, probably other various bugfixes not mentioned

no balance changes confirmed

Just for research purposes, can you name your friend who plays Chie? I happen to main Chie as well. Can you PM that? I've been reluctant to learn anything about characters since 2.0 is new and will change everything.

Also, isnt throwing an AOA still hard since you have to have the reactions for it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're hoping to find videos of his P4AU play or to bump into him online, he unfortunately hasn't been playing it much if at all. And recently the few times he's online, it's mainly to play against a handful of friends on a private lobby. I can assure you that we're lower-mid level players at best though - there're much better players to learn from.  :sweatdrop:

Anticipation and obvious startup animations help a great deal with "reacting" to AOAs. Throws seem to typically be a relatively quick 5 frames of startup, so that leaves... at least 17 frames to recognize the AoA and input the throw if you correctly anticipate it. (Note: not sure how quick the fastest AoA is, so using 23f here.) The obvious startup animations give you more of the 17f+ to recognize it, whereas a more-subtle one gives you less. While the window for inputting the throw is smaller and in the latter portion of the AOA startup when it is used during a blockstring, aiming for these latter frames would work for both raw and blockstring uses.

Of course, this is just talking raw numbers. Keeping this in mind while also being wary of the opponent's other options is a struggle for most players.

Hopefully everyone who wants to go to Evo for Persona gets to make it out there. I know I will.

Considering certain AOAs go airborne and can actually used as throw baits I'd be careful about telling people to react to them with throws. They're slow enough that unless you're online or get really tripped up you should just block and punish. In rare circumstances you can get out the way or you might catch one with an OS (sometimes fuzzyjump catches Chie AOA, or you might move out the way or fuzzy DP it etc). "But what if they got 50 meter?" They just spent 50 meter making a mix up safe that is probably not even worth going for.

Seriously, most AOAs are hella slow and unsafe, netplay is the main reason you guys see them hit since you probably mostly netplay. When you see them in higher level play offline, the person using them is either super far deep into somebody's head or was assuming it could be safe if blocked and was okay with the other associated risk.