Kurushii

[P4AU] News & Gameplay Discussion

Sigh I look at that as a colossal failure not having 2.0 out before Evo Netherelm/Capcom have been good punting out patches/updated out 3+ months or so before evo. Completely sucked the hype out of the game and now I can see Evo and upcoming majors having weak numbers.

First of all, did you forget last year when ultra came out a month before evo? Second, "the hype" that you say disappeared is still here. The players that were hyped for persona are still excited, so don't think just cause a patch that we didn't even know the date for is the reason that numbers were going to drop.

First of all, did you forget last year when ultra came out a month before evo? Second, "the hype" that you say disappeared is still here. The players that were hyped for persona are still excited, so don't think just cause a patch that we didn't even know the date for is the reason that numbers were going to drop.

The difference is that the arcades in Japan only had USFIV exclusivity at arcades for less than 2 months (released on April 17th, while release for console came around June 3rd), had multiple testings over at other regions like Europe and the US, and gave a firm release date for both console and arcades around the time prior any release.

Meanwhile, P4U 2.0 arrived to arcades around January 15 (over 2 months has passed at this time), had no location testing outside of Japan, and is STILL to this day without a firm release date on when the patch will arrive on consoles.

The fact Atlus's message stated that Evo won't have version 2.0 running only means it's going to take even longer for the release, at least 4 months of console users hanging (not that this would matter for console players, but likely even longer if version switching is impossible). However, in this case, it's more so a blow to Japan than it is to other areas obviously. The situation of patch releases for USFIV and P4U 2.0 are definitely not comparable in terms of patch preparation fairness for Evo.

Shit sucks, but all this means is we actually have a chance at doing better. Still rockin' it.

Sure... but why does that have to be the "all means" of this recent info? There are other reasons this issue will set foot. Chances are some or most of the Japanese contenders (and/or players considering going to Evo) will probably argue about this situation. It's probably the right thing to be vocal too, since Arc Sys has been very silent and uncooperative with scheduled time-release patch information in general.

Not saying that you are wrong, but I do wish most people out there has the same fair opportunity as others given their current standing at their specific location, and that at least others acknowledge the faults this recent news can do to everyone, not just one specific country.

Edited by AceKombat

Actually you are right i forgot about the ultra sf4 donk but for what its worth 3/8 top 8 Evo placers had no access to arcade ultra n still placed. Granted 2.0 is a bigger change i did go to winter brawl n persona got iirc like 28 people which i feel is low (i expected 40s).

Personally I feel the game needs a shot in the arm 2.0 coming would have beeb perfect.

2.0 arriving would have been nice, but on the other hand having only a month of 2.0 before EVO would have been pretty bad.

Waiting for something like them announcing 2.0's console release at the end of EVO or something.

I wonder what Japan thinks about this.

They seem pretty neutral on twitter, but Japanese players generally come off very confident concerning overseas tournaments. Stunedge has been upbeat, but he's also taken on the role of promoter to some degree, so take that for what it's worth. Denpa, who I didn't even know was going, said it would be easy for him to switch since he hasn't really been competing in 2.0. Most of the other comments are pretty neutral.

I would assume most of the JP top players spent 2014 playing the 1.1 top tier anyway. Less work for them. I know Tsujikawa's been playing a lot of Chie lately and tweeting about evo since 2.0 came out. I'm interested to see what he says.

Street fighter 4 had already established itself as a globally competitive game by releasing previous versions within a reasonable time frame. They also don't charge full price for console updates, which believe it or not is a sticking point for a lot of players.

One of the reasons fighting game enthusiasts who either don't play arcsys games or play them casually don't pick them up as a competitive venture is because of the release cycle and the constant procrastination and waffling it encourages. Is the persona character you like not top tier? Go back to playing ultra until they are! Do you not like X, Y, or Z  Blazblue mechanic? Is this DLC character retarded? Just wait for the next version! It doesn't come out until after that major you're going to, but you can just watch BB this year instead of entering.
Apparently there's still quite a bit of money to be made with arcade exclusive releases in Japan, but the last 25 years since world warrior seem to indicate that if you're making a fighting game and have any interest in it being internationally competitive, you need to pay attention to your release cycle if you're not going to do a simultaneous release.

Persona was already a huge surprise to people when it got announced for EVO since it had basically fallen off the radar here since Ultimax dropped, and BB had a very strong top 8 last year. 2.0 is going to have a VERY difficult time keeping the community's attention after EVO, let alone attracting new players and growing. The passion a few of the people on the Persona forums here have is admirable, so I wish you guys the best of luck, but the hand that feeds is not doing you any favors in this case.

The passion a few of the people on the Persona forums here have is admirable, so I wish you guys the best of luck, but the hand that feeds is not doing you any favors in this case.

We are all delusional it seems.

Considering that most of the FGC doesn't even play this, I think the patch status might not even matter so much as far as generating hype goes. What will make or break things come Evo, IMO, is just how directly engaging the matches are on stream. Hoping for lots of character diversity and entertaining fights!

BBCP doesn't have nearly the playerbase of a lot of games at Evo, yet there's widespread opinion that it stole the show. Didn't happen with original Arena, but I'm hoping this time around, Persona can do the same.

To be fair, BBCP had all eyes on screen on Sunday, while Persona had a day 1 finals on the side projector (main was still dedicated to Capcom). The difference in attention between a day 3 dedicated finals and one that's happening in a corner while other tournaments are still running is pretty big.

There's not really much to talk about in terms of release cycles. A lot of people compare ASW to Capcom but Capcom is a company that has like 3-5 different franchises where even if they release a game that's received poorly, it'll still sell millions. What ASW and Capcom can afford to do financially might as well be the difference between night and day. Expecting ASW to improve their release cycles is an unrealistic expectation based on their current situation. Expecting ASW to improve their communication with their western audience is slightly more realistic and I encourage people to try and get ASW to improve on this but considering a lot of their profits come from the JP scene and ASW is of the opinion that we're a much smaller scene by comparison, I don't expect much success with that. Doesn't hurt to try though.

Persona was already a huge surprise to people when it got announced for EVO since it had basically fallen off the radar here since Ultimax dropped, and BB had a very strong top 8 last year. 2.0 is going to have a VERY difficult time keeping the community's attention after EVO, let alone attracting new players and growing. The passion a few of the people on the Persona forums here have is admirable, so I wish you guys the best of luck, but the hand that feeds is not doing you any favors in this case.

I appreciate the luck but don't be silly. This is the anime FGC. If you aren't already worried about your game's scene dropping off people's radar and becoming very small by the end of its first year on the market as well as taking the appropriate measures to try and prevent it, chances are your game's already doomed. Not even the latest flavor of the month, Xrd, will be safe from this. We all just have to do our best to keep the fire going for our games' scenes. A lot of it is going to come down to whether we can do a better job of being a closely knit community and welcoming new players in instead of the fragmented mess we have for every community right now >,< Personally, I'm not too worried about Persona though, even if it does fall off people's radar. P4A had a nice group of people of both competitive and casual players who played from the moment it released to the moment P4AU released. So long as the same happens with P4AU, I'll be happy. The only I thing care about at this point is playing with people equally passionate about the games I play at this point. Don't get me wrong. I'm going to do my best to help out all the anime scenes grow but I'm not going to be heartbroken if things go south.

Anyway, back on the immediate topic of 1.1 at Evo. Although the main tourny will be 1.1, I kind of suspect Atlus will probably have a booth at Evo again this year and that 2.0 will be playable there. I hope they do. It would be pretty cool to do exhibitions again like we did for P4AU last year at Evo. I still remember how hype we were all getting when Tsujikawa would land a S. Chie combo. Those were really good times, lol.

I wonder what Japan thinks about this.

Most of them will have to regress and start learning an update patch they've long forgotten. What a slap in the face for them. This also means US players aren't getting that patch anytime soon, I do suspect less JP players will be less interested because of this, and that just makes P4U2 @ EVO look bad in the long run.

Most of them will have to regress and start learning an update patch they've long forgotten. What a slap in the face for them. This also means US players aren't getting that patch anytime soon, I do suspect less JP players will be less interested because of this, and that just makes P4U2 @ EVO look bad in the long run.

Oh, come on, the possibility to get money and Evo champ title totally worth that "regress". "Learning old patch" is also wrong statement, they have not forgotten that even, Japanese PSN lobbys are full, so its no problem to play there.

In other words - it`s easy win for Japanese on this EVO, but not that easy if it was 2.0,  other patricipants have chance still.

Nobody was comparing anything. I just don't like it when people say "we just need to learn to deal with it" when referring to OP characters/mechanics in general. 

How embarrassing I didn't process that. Chalk that up to more reason to play as a Shadow.

Oh, it must've been combo rate I was thinking of. Anyway I hear what you're saying, but just know I still have my doubts, because this isn't the first time a character I liked rose up from speculation due to buffs, got my hopes up,  and then fell way back down to where they were after some time of playing (Makoto from both games you're thinking of right now). In the majority's eyes I assumed they believe she's gotten strong, but not that strong. Despite my personal accords when it comes to other people's judgment I'm VERY skeptical about this, which is why I need to stop talking on this (as I am wont to do all day) and see if people's speculation on 2.0 Yukiko holds true after some time.

To save an argument, I'm just going to assume that if you want to play a certain character offensively more in 2.0, pick Shadow-type. If you want to play defensively, simply pick the Normal-type from now on. Right? I'm not 100% with this (and I never will be) but if I consider things to be like that then I can stomach the bullshit that comes with it.

I also realized that I am very hard on my character ;_; it's only because i love her to bits, and cannot stand people to get the wrong idea or impression that she's a bad character...she really isn't and I cannot stress this enough. However, I'm also not going to let people think she's good for all the wrong reasons. I want to assume the best and believe everything I hear about Yukiko, but I just know better than to do that. (And by that, I am referring to opinions and early speculation as opposed to frame data, buffs/nerfs and technicalities.)

it's not a wrong statement

either learn to deal with bs or pick the bs

either learn to deal with bs or pick the bs

That definitely goes without saying. I've just learned now that it seems more respectable to learn to deal with it rather than cave in and pick it, since it's always satisfying to watch someone honorable overcome literal bullshit. That's just me, though.

I just only hope there'll be such moments in the future...

Specific bugfixes for Marie, Junpei, Yosuke and Ken.

Nothing else I believe

Link please, need the info.

http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/p4u2/important.html#imp150326

Junpei's SP consumption on Bat spin was fixed

Yosuke's SB Whoo was causing a freeze (?)

not sure on the other 2.

Edited by Pssych

two of Ken's SB dog specials wouldn't come out in shadow berserk

fixed the SP cost on air SB bat tornado for junpei

fixed an issue where getting hit by Marie's clouds made a bunch of messages pop up

fixed a bug with Whoo (not SB, any version) crashing the game

Edited by Buttface

Isn't there a list of 2.0 system changes (and character changes) compiled on a single post somewhere? Thought it would be on the wiki but nope.

EDIT: I'm blind, didn't see that there was a link to P4U2 2.0 on the wiki, more specifically P4U2's page.

Isn't there a list of 2.0 system changes (and character changes) compiled on a single post somewhere? Thought it would be on the wiki but nope.

This is what you're looking for: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Persona_4_Arena:_Ultimax_2.0_patch_notes

Keep in mind that It can be incomplete. Some characters changes aren't even there to begin with

If your character's changes are missing from the wiki's patch notes, you can find them here in Xie's translations of the changes

I'll try to get the remaining characters' changes into the wiki pages at a later date and add in some changes that weren't in the official changelist as well like Sho's SB Destruction Fang no longer having a minimum height (Tremble in despair!!!)

You can see the full list of what's on sale and for how much in this Playstation Blog post

Also, for those who aren't about that twitter life, here's a video Jiyuna tweeted out recently: 5 Major Mistakes Persona Players Make. #5 was a really good one. It's a subtle point that I didn't really catch until now.

For those who can't bother checking, the game itself is $36 instead of $60, and then all the icons, boss characters, additional colours, navigator bulk packs and full story are half price.