Kurushii

[P4AU] News & Gameplay Discussion

Any tips or advice on optimizing practice/training time? What do you guys normally do to study match ups?

Well alot of the time i can find some replays of the matchups on the replay board and examine the choices that player makes that i don't and if that doesn't work go into training mode and record certain things that you see that character do set your recordings to random and practice reacting to them and finding ways to deal with the tools that they have. For example i play Marie and can't block Narukami raging lion mixups on Netplay so i recorded it and found out i can mash 2B through it and get a combo from it. There are probably more things that you can do but that's just what i do

Any tips or advice on optimizing practice/training time? What do you guys normally do to study match ups?

Go here and learn about fuzzy os.

Go here to learn about the mistakes netplayers make (they're pretty common).

Go to your respective character's forums and watch lots and lots of replays. Even if the people playing aren't pro level, you will learn what to do and what not to do.

Gain experience and communicate with the people you're facing. You never know what you can end up learning.

If you wish to get better at hit confirming, set the training dummy to Block - Random until you're comfortable enough to hit confirm consistently.

If you wish to get better at defense, set up several commands for the training dummy to do, and make the training dummy do them at random.

Check up the frame data on your character and every other character in the game(this includes things like studying jump height since there are characters who take advantage of this). I know some people skimp this, but you really shouldn't. All about having more information.

Not exactly my routine since I've learned all this stuff. I hope it helps. I should also mention that you should also learn your character's counter to fuzzy os as well since fuzzy os has become apart of the netplay meta (at least among the better players since fuzzy os destroys most netplayers).

One of the most important things I see people forgetting to do with there practice and training time is not utilizing it. What I mean by that is that I know alot of people who in a match are to afraid or forget to utilize there new mixup or tech in games because they simply forgot it in the heat of a match or they were hungry for the win and used something more reliable to secure it. Push past all of that and never forget to use what you just found in the training room in the battlefield to cement it into your play.

Watch your own replays, no matter how "painful" it may be to watch you screw up and "actively" learn (or download your opponent as some people call it) while you're playing. I feel that a lot of people don't do these simple things (myself included) which bars them from really improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add on to my post. Go here. It's LK explaining how to use training mode. It's a bit old, however it should still prove useful. If you want some more information, he has a series of sorts as well.

If I can add another piece of advice, once you find your character, find a Skype group! I find that they're really dedicated to learning all about their characters, as well as their matchups and overall strengths and weaknesses. You might also make a few good friends, and that's always delightful.

Some characters don't have Skype groups, however, or if they do it's pretty much dead, so if you have to, create a Skype group and promote it here. You should get responses in no time.

If I can add another piece of advice, once you find your character, find a Skype group! I find that they're really dedicated to learning all about their characters, as well as their matchups and overall strengths and weaknesses. You might also make a few good friends, and that's always delightful.

Some characters don't have Skype groups, however, or if they do it's pretty much dead, so if you have to, create a Skype group and promote it here. You should get responses in no time.

Funny how was just thinking about starting one for Marie and i see you say this

Just watched the Jiyuna video, re-reviewed the fuzzy os stuff, and watch the replays I save soon after.  Wish I could do skype, but can't on my brother's PC.  I'll keep posting in character subforums here, though.  I lose a lot more than win, but I've never been good at long combos (especially online), even after breaking them into parts in training.  I'll try some of that training stuff Sphinx mentioned.  There's been slow improvement since release, thanks to this forum & playing consistently on weekends.  I imagine being able to get a PS3 & play during the week would help even more though.  Thanks for the posts here.

Wow, I'm so looking forward to it, especially since both players are considered one of the best (if not, the best) with their respective characters, so excited to watch this

This has already blown up on Twitter, but for anyone who doesn't yet know or fully understand the chatter about a glitch recently discovered with Shadow Labrys, BananaKen was kind enough to make a video. For the record, this does cause meter cooldown (180f reduction in meter gain).

That's an interesting bug. Not surprised no one caught it if the cancel has to happen on the first frame. I'm curious to see how people will take advantage of this in a match.

That's an interesting bug. Not surprised no one caught it if the cancel has to happen on the first frame. I'm curious to see how people will take advantage of this in a match.

It's been implemented by Jose and others already (I've used it, and I'm certain other Shabs have as well). It's changed neutral in some MUs substantially, others not much (if at all). Regardless, there's an explanation of the glitch out there now, so at least everyone can understand what's being discussed and be prepared to deal with it.

Oh wow. It's interesting to hear it's had a big impact in some MUs. Guess I need to watch some Shabrys matches and see how it's being used.

Thanks for posting this video explaining the glitch Mixed! Information like this is always very valuable to know and understand.  

Okusan confirmed some new names heading to Evo. Full list is under the cut: [collapse]Aguro (Narukami)

Pet (Adachi)

Okusan (Ken)

Tahichi (Margaret, Yukari)

Mokke (Yosuke)

DIE-Chan (Rise)

Mui (Aigis)

Damosu (Adachi)

Souji (Kuma)

Yume (Aigis, 2.0 Marie?)

wakabo (Mitsuru)

purepure (Labrys)

Koichi (Aigis)

Domi (Akihiko)

Setsuo (Aigis)

JEO (S. Mitsuru)

Hagiwara (Kuma)

BLEED (Margaret)

Uinyan (Rise)

Cho (Ken)

[/collapse] If you watched KSB or A-Cho's recent 2v2, then some of these names should look very familiar! Which is good, as KSB gave us a chance to see some of these players playing 1.1 offline -- always helpful. Despite being confirmed initially, MAD later said that unless he won KSB, he would not be attending Evo, so I have removed him from the list; if anyone knows something more, please correct me.

As far as who's playing whom: Tahichi stated that he will use both Yukari and Margaret depending on the MUs he faces, while Okusan announced that he was switching to Ken roughly two months ago.

Ho-chan is also attending Evo but since he's living in the US now, I didn't include him as part of the Japanese team.

In other news, LK made a final 1.1 tier list. You can see the original on his blog. The final version (with reasoning) is here, with Twitter discussion flowing from the initial Tweet and a follow-up. Since 1.1 is what we'll be playing at Evo, this is all worth reading.

I find it odd he still has S.Teddie in some MYSTERY rank. I mean yeah, it's Teddie and he still has his neutral game, but his damage doesn't get good til 2.0 and his Berserk combos are generally situational, or simply aren't nearly as good as the ranked Shadows. He also lacks a Burst and Teddie doesn't have the best defense options anyway (his DP getting nerfed in P4U2 is pretty harsh for him, despite gaining Nihil Hand).

Mdesilva translated some new 2.0 Tier Lists form Damosu and Hina.

Damosu:

S: Mitsuru, Shadow Mitsuru, Shadow Chie, Shadow Ken

A: Ken, Aigis, Adachi, Ken, Akihiko, Yukari, Sho, MINAZUKI, Margaret, Shadow Yosuke

B: Chie, Yu, Labrys, Rise, Naoto, Yukiko, Shadow Yukiko, Shadow Junpei, Shadow Teddie

C: Yosuke, Teddie, Shadow Labrys, Kanji, Marie, Junpei, Elizabeth.

Hina:

S: Shadow Mitsuru, Shadow Chie, Shadow Ken

A: Aigis, Mitsuru, Shadow Yukari

B: Yu, Yukari, Margaret, Naoto, Ken, Yukiko, Sho, MINAZUKI, Rise, Shadow Labrys, Teddie, Shadow Teddie, Shadow Yosuke, Akihiko, Shadow Junpei

C: Labrys, Elizabeth, Junpei, Kanji, Marie.

https://www.twitter.com/mdesilva_/status/604314556555382784

Eesh, they really did break Yosuske's legs for him to fall that low.

Yes, they did.

In Damosu's interview part; he talks about Yosuke. He mentions that Shadow Yosuke is good because he's still Yosuke by design (5A, DP, Jump heights), but Shadow Yosuke's damage is higher due to multi-poison combos (Shadow Yosuke combos can do up to 5k with 2 different possible points of poison). Meanwhile regular Yosuke has not-so-good damage.

Edited by Pssych

Yosuke deserved even Nerf he got. Dude was preposterous in ultimax. But hey, there were like 7 S tier characters anyways lol

Oh there were interviews with these lists?  Would somebody mind posting those if possible?  I'd LOVE to hear what Damosu has to say about Liz and Adachi.  :)

Not a fan of the new s tiers compared to the old ones not gonna lie, glad that some of the lower ones got higher but then aswell kinda bummed certain shadows just outclass their vanilla counterparts. I think if they did a writeup would be nice I would like to see their thoughts on it.