Kurushii

[P4AU] News & Gameplay Discussion

If your policy is to not buy any Arcsys games that are planned for updates, you'll pretty much never ever buy any Arcsys games, period.

If you want the current "in" game, get Xrd. If you don't Xrd, get P4AU, which plenty of people sitll play.

25 bucks is a bargain considering I happily paid full price at launch. No regrets here! I would just go for it. Rerelease probably won't be in NA til late summer/fall, if not 2016 anyway.

I was thinking hard about whether or not to pick this up when I saw it was only $25 on Amazon(already?!). However, much to my chagrin, I checked around and found out there was an update planned for the arcade. I immediately smelled a possible console-expansion in the works and decided to wait. I do not want to get burned on yet another fighter. I also have no information on the state of the game's community. I have become quite a paranoid consumer lately.

Dudes, any news on Yukiko in newer version? I want to know if her Shadow version will have some buffs. She's fun to use, but gawd THE DAMAGE makes me cry (because of how crappy it is)

Dudes, any news on Yukiko in newer version? I want to know if her Shadow version will have some buffs. She's fun to use, but gawd THE DAMAGE makes me cry (because of how crappy it is)

From what I've seen, Yukiko will mostly remain the same, but has a few tweaks that helps flesh her out more, such as decreased recovery from her j.5B, and the ability to cancel fire specials into firebird. Not really sure about nerfs but they don't seem to be largely significant towards her playstyle or anything ASIDE from the fact that Yukiko can no longer 5AAA into maragi reset because of that horrible idea of removing inactive frames from spin states. Argh.

Shadow Yukiko is supposed to get better now that she gets a burst, but I'm fairly certain she will pretty much remain where's she always been. 

"Horrible"

Right.

Yeah. Right. It's horrible, as it was Yukiko's surefire way of ACTUALLY granting a combo setup. Unless you can tell me another safe way Yukiko can begin a combo route besides on fatal or counter hit.

...don't worry, I'll wait.

Dude spin state was pretty dumb. I guess you've never been hit by Yosuke unblockables into glide mixups. The nerf won't particularly change much

What are the 2.0 patch notes for Rise? Cause from what I've heard her j.b got nerfed and that's pretty much all I know atm.

You can find it in the OP of this topic in the Rise forum. The quote from sourenga is a translation from the official patch notes, everything else is stuff found at the loketest

2.0 does not bring any big changes to think that this will not be a patch (like BBCP 1.1) instead a new disc.

Also: Noob question, what is spin state?

Spinstate is a state where the opponent can only block or burst. No other inputs work. It allows the opponent to be comboed into grabs. This state is caused by a bunch of moves like AOA (before you input the followup attack), Teddie's buckets, or Kanji's 236236A super. You know you're in spinstate when your character is literally spinning in place.

Spinstate is a state where the opponent can only block or burst. It also allows the opponent to be comboed into grabs. No other inputs work. This state is caused by a bunch of moves like AOA (before you input the followup attack), Teddie's buckets, or Kanji's 236236A super. You know you're in spinstate when your character is literally spinning in place.

Thanks for explaining.

Doesn't look like this has been posted here yet. Guess it went over all of our heads since it was the holidays. Shoutouts to FluxWave for catching this one.

Anyway, the 2.0 Update is launching in arcades in Japan on January 15th, 2015. That's just 2 more weeks until you all find out whether ASW sent your characters to Heaven or Hell. If you start praying to the balance gods now for mercy and good fortune, they might listen to you :P

I really hope they didn't put too much of that location test stuff in there.  I can't say that actually since there were so little details but... Most of the changes looked a little lame.

I still have no idea what the hell they did to Sho in the loke test. -_-

I hope they didn't take away his sword loop of all things.

I hope they didn't take away his sword loop of all things.

it's not that they removed the loop, they nerfed j.B hitbox which makes the loop impossible.

I don't know what they're doing to Minazuki, because he looks so fucking godlike with those loketest changes.

I don't play Sho, but here's some comments from Twitter quickly translated...

- Moving distance of 5B reduced
- No more forced knockdown when you hit 5B's second hit to an aerial opponent - they just stay afloat.
- Fatal Recovery removed from 2C
- 5B>5C>5B gatling route removed
- If your combo gets too long, the opponent can tech out from Destructive Fang in midair.
- Moon Smasher damage seems to have been nerfed. On counter hit, the opponent flies to a different direction - You can't follow with OMB
- Amount of hits B Rising Fang deals has been reduced
- Amount of hits Blazing deals has been reduced
- Can't follow A or B Blazing near the corner even on Counter Hit
- j.B hittbox is now smaller from below Sho. j.B>j.C loop is impossible.
- A Rising > jump cancel > A Rising A doesn't work
- A Rising > jump cancel > j.B > Aerial B Rising > A Destructive works
- Aerial D High-Speed has faster start-up
- Aerial C High-Speed now moves more diagonally.
- Aerial High-Speed cancel > Aerial SB Rising doesn't seem to work. High-Speed cancel > SB Destructive works

The hell is with those nerfs? None of them were called for other than maybe J.B loops. 5B not KDing anymore is nice though, but doesn't make up for everything else.

I really really really hope that characters like elizabeth and yukiko get some worthwhile buffs that stick, not that they'd be narukami tier but at least finally they would be somewhat balanced compared to the rest of the cast, in other words, balance the damn thing lol.

Those Sho changes don't really look all that bad. My impressions from top to bottom on what Sourenga posted (Thanks for translating Sourenga!)

- 2C no longer having Fatal Recovery is good because a move with this much startup didn't really need another negative.
- Moon Smasher dealing less damage and not being able to be followed with an OMB on CH is fair
- Not being able to follow up A and B Blazing super even on Counter Hit is again a fair change. 
- Lots of changes here that seem intentionally targeted at eliminating Sho's ability to do grounded combos and encourage him to do air combos more. Nothing really to say on this other than that. It's pretty typical for characters to lose their old combos in new versions and have to find new ones. Even when the old combos do still work, a lot of the times they're no longer optimal and get discarded anyway.
- The change to air D High Speed Movement might actually be very good depending on how much faster it is. It might become a good neutral movement tool now.
- Hard to say what the change to air C High Speed Movement means. Need to see how much more diagonal the trajectory has gotten. Could mean it's more practical now, especially with TKs. Could mean it's less useful now. Won't know until I see it.

Overall, Sho's core is still looking solid. Still has great normals. Still has amazing pressure and mixups. With the lower survival knife being a low now and opening up the possibility to find unblockable setups, it might get even better. 

In general, a lot of these 2.0 changes seem pretty solid to me. The only characters I'm concerned about currently is Elizabeth because it once again feels like ASW rolled dice to decide her changes. It's unclear based on what we've heard so far if Yukiko got the loving she nees. I'm somewhat concerned about Akihiko 5B's forced FC and Kanji's j.C as well but I'll wait and see how this plays out. 

Hard to encourage you to do air combos when you have no air combos to begin with. All of Sho's air combos are crappy, 4 hits stuff that is height specific, and none of the changes imply any real changes to that. Meanwhile, the 5B nerf together with losing 5B>5C>5B makes our ground combos a lot less consistent and sweep probably won't combo anymore, which screws over our average damage badly. Meanwhile Moon Smasher's damage nerf screws over our burst.

Honestly, these changes aren't 'fair' at all. The buffs simply don't make up for losing such large amounts of consistency in our gameplay.