Kurushii

[P4AU] News & Gameplay Discussion

How is Junpei's system "needlessly complicated"? It's baseball! It's America's Favorite Pastime!

Except for:

1. I do not play baseball nor do I understand its rules.

2. I do not know anyone who does play it or understands the rules.

3. I do not live in a country where the sport is prevalent enough to inherently understand it.

I'm not saying anything ill about the sport itself. Just that there are people out there that do not have an ingrained knowledge of a sport to make full use of Junpei's gimmick. Though Narroo makes a solid point: if explained in FG terms, then it becomes easier to grasp.

-Make sure to hit people with bat.

-Make sure not to whiff bat hits.

-Don't get hit.

-???

-Gain points.

The converse is also true. It could latch onto something the player doesn't get and hates. "I have to play baseball while playing P4C! Fuck!" :eng101:

That too ;).

You'll at least admit that it's a FANTASTIC design for Japanese audiences, since their whole country loves the sport like most countries love soccer/football.

You'll at least admit that it's a FANTASTIC design for Japanese audiences, since their whole country loves the sport like most countries love soccer/football.

I dunno how fantastic the design is for any audience really, but I am more than willing to admit that the idea is certainly unique. I mean, I certainly do not recall a fighter where a lunatic swings his bat at people in order to play a baseball match that only exists in his head...

Joking aside, it does at least make Junpei pop out from the rest. And hey, he's at least integrating his sport into his fighting style. Why is Akihiko not accompanied by Mitsuru at all times to give a 10 count for each of his KOs?

Edited by Luminos564

I can guarantee you that if they used some other cover instead of baseball for Junpei's gimmick, you would magically understand it because it's not baseball.

His gimmick is complicated, but concise. You can literally sum up everything with two sentences. "Hit people with bat. Don't get hit." Everything else is extra fluff that people are overcomplicating.

Edited by Nihiru

I LOVE characters like Junpei - characters who get to play mini-games. Labrys has that feel, too: "Stay in Red Axe as often as possible." But now I get to play baseball! I get to score runs and set up walks and try not to get struck out. The promised ten-run bonus is practically unimportant to me - I just love minigames.

I can guarantee you that if they used some other cover instead of baseball for Junpei's gimmick, you would magically understand it because it's not baseball.

That's a bit of a stretch. Only sports I ever semi-regularly watched were soccer and basketball in my youth. I fell out of love with televised sports around the time I noticed that I couldn't stand the commentators blabbing on and on. I'm not even able to watch all those videos of JPN Arcade tournaments because of how much they talk. Point is, I do not follow sports. I don't hate them, but I simply don't watch them enough to understand.

Besides, what other sport would you have given to Junpei that involves hitting things with a long, straight, wooden stick?

That's a bit of a stretch. Only sports I ever semi-regularly watched were soccer and basketball in my youth. I fell out of love with televised sports around the time I noticed that I couldn't stand the commentators blabbing on and on. I'm not even able to watch all those videos of JPN Arcade tournaments because of how much they talk. Point is, I do not follow sports. I don't hate them, but I simply don't watch them enough to understand.

Besides, what other sport would you have given to Junpei that involves hitting things with a long, straight, wooden stick?

I'm not saying it even has to be a sport. If they literally just removed the baseball theme and had it just plain and simple, people would magically understand it because it's not baseball. I honestly think too many people are way overcomplicating it simply because it has a baseball theme on it.

"A character that powers up by hitting people with his weapon a certain amount of time, but loses his powers when he gets hit."

Barring specifics such as numbers, anyone would understand this. If I suddenly changed it to look like:

"A character that powers up by scoring homeruns when he hits people with his bat a certain amount of time, but loses his powers when he gets combo'd."

All of the sudden, it's too confusing.

People are making this more difficult than it should be. You hit people, you don't miss, you don't get hit. Anything more than that is extra fluff.

Cricket.

Good idea. He can bend the opponent over and paddle them on the ass for 9000 fratbro damage. I would have also suggested pool but then Venom might sue :(.

The only spike in an ASW game I wanna see should come in the Dead variety. Also, WTF IS WRONG WITH HER HAIR!? IT'S PHASING THROUGH HER BOOBS LIKE A GHOST!

I'm not saying it even has to be a sport. If they literally just removed the baseball theme and had it just plain and simple, people would magically understand it because it's not baseball. I honestly think too many people are way overcomplicating it simply because it has a baseball theme on it.

"A character that powers up by hitting people with his weapon a certain amount of time, but loses his powers when he gets hit."

Barring specifics such as numbers, anyone would understand this. If I suddenly changed it to look like:

"A character that powers up by scoring homeruns when he hits people with his bat a certain amount of time, but loses his powers when he gets combo'd."

All of the sudden, it's too confusing.

People are making this more difficult than it should be. You hit people, you don't miss, you don't get hit. Anything more than that is extra fluff.

Because it is using a language that a fighting game player may not necessarily understand. If I had to put it in an odd way, saying "Yeah I just scored a homerun after loading the bases with Junpei" may not tell an FG player anything useful but saying "Yeah I just did a combo that powered up Junpei enough for massive damage" will definitely tell them what happened. Yeah, they might understand the Layman version of "Hit them with bat, try not to whiff and don't get hit" but what happens if they wish to understand all that extra fluff? That's just my POV for better or for worse.

Because it is using a language that a fighting game player may not necessarily understand. If I had to put it in an odd way, saying "Yeah I just scored a homerun after loading the bases with Junpei" may not tell an FG player anything useful but saying "Yeah I just did a combo that powered up Junpei enough for massive damage" will definitely tell them what happened. Yeah, they might understand the Layman version of "Hit them with bat, try not to whiff and don't get hit" but what happens if they wish to understand all that extra fluff? That's just my POV for better or for worse.

Well then screw those people, straight up. If unique and funny mechanics like Junpei's can't exist because it will confuse certain people who don't want to take the little time required to learn them, then screw them. There are 14+ other characters they can play as.

Wait...is someone seriously complaining about Junpei's Baseball mechanic because it might confuse people? lol

Edited by Pssych

Well then screw those people, straight up. If unique and funny mechanics like Junpei's can't exist because it will confuse certain people who don't want to take the little time required to learn them, then screw them. There are 14+ other characters they can play as.

Never said that a mechanic like this can't exist, just that on paper and by word of mouth not everyone would understand it. This is likely more of a case of "it's better to just show it in action rather than just explain it in text". Besides, it isn't like people will/won't play Junpei simply because they don't understand baseball terms. I know I won't be playing him but that's because I got my girl Lizzie and will likely stick with her to the end (also because Thanny is the most badass Persona and all others would likely shit their pants when they see him at the annual Persona Meet-n-Greet).

Wait...is someone seriously complaining about Junpei's Baseball mechanic because it might confuse people? lol

No complaints here, just observations and opinions since that's pretty much all we got up to this point save for a few loketest vids here and there.

I think saying that you did a combo that powered him up for massive damage can be confusing too. How and why did he get powered up? The baseball mechanic gives a good reason why he's getting powered up.

I think saying that you did a combo that powered him up for massive damage can be confusing too. How and why did he get powered up? The baseball mechanic gives a good reason why he's getting powered up.

I guess. I was trying to translate a mechanic based on a sport I have no extensive knowledge of into fighting game terms :sweatdrop:. I still stand that it likely sounds more complex on paper as opposed to seeing it in action.

no idea what junpei's baseball system powers up. i heard rumors he gets somehting at 10 points, but i havent seen anything. maybe he just get a power boost with each point?

the rules as far as i can tell are very VERY much baseball:

- hit the opponent with the bat for a single. can hit with the bat multiple times in one combo to get more ppl on base. can score points with singles if you hit them enough times.

- whiff the bat for a strike. 3 strikes for an out.

- make them block the bat for a ball. didn't see it, but presumably, 4 balls and you get a walk.

- get a "clean hit" with the flaming bat super for a homerun and score points just like baseball; 4 points with the bases loaded. the hud says "homerun" on the screen where "counter", "super cancel" etc. are located.

- getting combo-d = 1 out. doesnt matter how long or short the combo is.

- get 3 outs and you lose all ppl on base

- getting an out or getting someone on base clears the strikes and balls count

- only points carry over between rounds, everything else resets

Can someone translate this into "fighting games"?

it's like marvel

hitting someone with a bat is hype. whiffing/blocking bats isn't hype. the more you whiff/get blocked, the less hype you are. the instant you hit someone with a bat again people forget most everything they were worried about and get hype again. the more hype, the better junpei is. max hype = a combo that probably does as much damage as chris g does to the hype. (though admittedly we don't know exactly what his system does)

- hit the opponent with the bat for a single. can hit with the bat multiple times in one combo to get more ppl on base. can score points with singles if you hit them enough times.

"Whenever you hit with one of his bat moves (I beleive it's his B button) You get one of 3 points. If you hit someone with the bat multiple times in a combo, you get multiple points."

- whiff the bat for a strike. 3 strikes for an out.

"Whiff a b move, and you get a sort of negative points, 3 negative points and you get a super negative point."

- make them block the bat for a ball. didn't see it, but presumably, 4 balls and you get a walk.

"If they block a B 4 times, you get a point as if you'd hit them with it once."

- get a "clean hit" with the flaming bat super for a homerun and score points just like baseball; 4 points with the bases loaded. the hud says "homerun" on the screen where "counter", "super cancel" etc. are located.

"The points you've collected from bat hits are cashed in if you hit someone with a flaming bat. What this "cash in" does for you, I have no idea."

- getting combo-d = 1 out. doesnt matter how long or short the combo is.

"Get hit, get a negative point."

- get 3 outs and you lose all ppl on base

"3 negative points, and you lose all of your points"

The other two I have no idea. Basically, as you get upward of 4 clean bat hits, you'll start to gain benefits, get hit too much, and you lose those benefits. Don't whiff, if they block bats you still get benefits, but it's much harder. Basically, hit them with your bat= good. Whiffing and getting hit=bad.

it's like marvel

hitting someone with a bat is hype. whiffing/blocking bats isn't hype. the more you whiff/get blocked, the less hype you are. the instant you hit someone with a bat again people forget most everything they were worried about and get hype again. the more hype, the better junpei is. max hype = a combo that probably does as much damage as chris g does to the hype. (though admittedly we don't know exactly what his system does)

... I meant in the actual mechanics of the game.

stuff

Well that kinda helped. It's probably much simpler than it sounds if you just take all the baseball terms out of it...

Edited by tataki

it's like marvel

If only this weren't too long to sig

it's like marvel

http://wondersinthedark.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/paranoia-agent-lil-slugger.jpg

Junpei just wants to get to the Koshien so let him bash random highschool students, weirdly dressed people, and a bear with his bat so he can acquire a charismatic glow needed to win the championship.