Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eric

NORTHEAST CHAMPIONSHIP XIV (NEC) Dec 6th, 7th and 8th in Essington pa., (right outside of Philly)

Question: Is NEC banning macros for GGXXAC+R tournaments? There is a very abusable glitch that significantly changes the way the game is played and I am curious what the TOs have decided about this...

St1ckBuG's opting for a soft ban. Both players have to agree to allow macros in the match, otherwise they're not allowed. Basically we're self-policing. Here's the post.

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to wait until next weekend and see how that works out at NEC before posting an official stance on macros for Frosty Faustings VI.

It's silly that macros need to be banned, but there is an exploitable use case that makes the game differ from the arcade version in an appreciable way, and simply banning macros is a very easy/cheap way to eliminate the problem. I actually consider it pretty lenient and reasonable that players are allowed to agree to allow macros.

Additionally, those accustomed to using macros always have the option of manning up.

i know my game plan

"hey, do you need macros"

if yes

"what macros and what for?"

after answers

"who do you play"

if justice or someone i think macro might ruin my good time, see if i can get someone to watch the match for macro nonsense or something.

otherwise i probably wont give any of the fucks i already i dont give.

aka, its whatever.

Can I note that since I'm a Jam player the macro glitch isn't too useful?

*holds macro, mashes input for DP during blockstrings or something*

*gets reversal 22K*

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I'm personally of the school of thought that says "I'd rather play against the best possible opponent operating within the game-rules." If your abusable glitch gives you perfect execution easily, I'm okay with it. If it changes something about the game-rules, I'm impressed but less okay with it. If having perfect execution makes the game degenerate, then uh, guess the game was degenerate. That's unfortunate. Still, it sounds like the macro glitch allows some stuff that wouldn't even theoretically be possible without it, so banning it makes sense.

theres two arguments for that topic. personally i would say do the one healthy for the scene as a whole. which i think we can agree we are doing.

we are all mostly civil people. if someone is being that guy, we can make a note about it. otherwise, how many of us are really gonna be the guy that says 'no, rather have the essentially free win since you cant combo or burst without a macro'

its like the pause DQ thing

...how many of us really take the fucking win when it happens in the anime community... right...?

Yeah but when money is on the line........

People start to get shady.

I remember when I was first learning GG, I was like "Ooo, look at this option...". Who knew it would turn out like this, years later.

I know now to stay away from macros entirely.

I remember back in AC, HOS has this strange bug where you can standing FD a Slidehead. The result is you take no damage, you take no block stun, and you don't get knocked down while Potemkin is acting like a clown on the floor. I tried my hardest to never do this and play "like the move is supposed to work".

Months later I am fighting a local Pot player and I accidentally did the glitch and he was like: "Holy shit, that's so cool!". Mind is blown at this point, so I asked him how he would feel if it was tourni. He said he would think it was ok because it exists in both console and arcade. I started using it; still got blown up because he is the better player. Lesson learned.

hey stand up vs slidehead is secret tech shhhhhh

macro stuff is more along the lines of roll cancel in cvs2 in my eyes.

except this is preventable, while roll cancel realistically isnt. its just something we need to make a judgment about and stick with it. if you use them to get the reversal window like a stick user would piano inputs, i dont give a fuck.

if you use it for not-intended bullet hell nonsense zone shit... then i care a little more. this isnt a coding oversight thats either marginally useful (hos standup vs slidehead) or really hard (anji double butterfly) - its intentional use of something not intended thats has harmful effects on the game as a whole if it ran rampant and got to that point.

i dont know, it could be nothing, but im a believer on better safe than sorry.... but the answer we got is perfect. ill let you use macros ian, promise <3

the first guy to be that guy, people are gonna know, and they are gonna say no to him, but yes to all the other pad players lol.

fuck, i use macros in p4 on a stick for crying out loud. i dont do anything shady, but i use the option the game presents to me.

but thats the option presented. hit more buttons in a single press.

not 'use this in a option select for really silly game bending shit'

we know better. use common sense.

if there are niggas in this scene that are willing to take money vs being friendly, they probably should be playing other games for more money gains. if its like a grand final or something, have someone watch the match or the guy play for it or something. who knows...

my 2 cents, ima be quiet now (probably)

legit discussion happened. will stop.

will stab/end/say hi to you at nec for stopping it.

<3 your body isnt ready. or it is. time will tell....

if there are niggas in this scene that are willing to take money vs being friendly, they probably should be playing other games for more money gains. if its like a grand final or something, have someone watch the match or the guy play for it or something. who knows...

I've always thought Mr.Biscuits was pretty mean. He doesn't even look you in the eye before the match!

:gonk:

So uh... serious question: Can anyone give me a ride?

Apparently my flight got rerouted and now connects to a train(?) in Newark, then the train spits me out at Philadelphia 30th. Street Rail Station, PA, which according to google is like 12 miles from the Clarion. I guess I could take a cab but I figure it's worth asking.