Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_d3v

Pocket Rumble - SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color Styled Fighter, now on Kickstarter

You have more options. Dunno enough about ST to say if you have more viable options, but you definitely have more options.

ST is just SF2 with meter. It's as stripped down as an FG can get without being Divekick. You're stuck with whatever options your character has, there are just about no universal options or subsystems to bail you out. If you're playing Honda and Ryu or O.Sagat starts fireball zoning, then that's it for you. It's the only game I know where 9:1s are considered acceptable since every character ends up having counters anyway.

Shit, that stuff happens in Chess lol. You actually need to memorize long move sequences because deviation from most of them means you're just dead. It takes a lot more than that to kill a game.

I do think that Divekick's simplicity will make it pretty difficult to avoid lopsided matchups, which is pretty unfortunate, but it's so approachable that people should have no problem just picking up a secondary. Anyway, there are bad matchups in plenty of games, and they're rarely too much of a deterrent for most people. As for Pocket Fighter, it looks like there are plenty of "balance knobs" to turn, so to speak, so if the team decided to put in the effort I'm sure they could end up with a pretty balanced roster.

And d3v, I think I saw on SRK that you put together an article for this. Much appreciated, hope the editors let that one through. I think this still has a chance if it gets front paged, it went up by like ~$200 over the past day which really isn't so bad considering that nobody is reporting on it. Eventhubs is more interested in posting about Keiji Inafune's completely FGC-unrelated Megaman stuff or whatever. =(

Try spamming our tip line to get it in. Just be sure to be nice and explain why you think it deserves to be on the front page.

But clearly, go>>>chess.

At least go compensates for the advantage of first move. Also one of the games that computers still aren't better at than we are.

...Though I digress.

Chess is the better FG analogy since it provides more varied levels of space control.

Well this seems to have gained ~700 dollars in the past day, so that's encouraging at least!

And it's not entirely fair to compare "moves" in Chess to "moves" in Divekick. I can make a decision to wait for 3 extra frames in Divekick or whatever, and oftentimes that's a totally relevant and important decision! Fighting games, even the super ultra basic ones, have a huge amount of room for that kind of 'expression.'

Well, looks like the game got some last-minute attention on SRK (and Destructoid). Maybe a possibility that they'll be able to make this happen in the last couple days?

Apparently they're looking to do a 3ds version now, too. That's a stretch goal, but it looks like they'll do it anyway, assuming the game gets released and has enough sales.