Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4r5

[+R] Johnny vs Justice

Justice is a strange matchup. It'll change your entire concept of what's safe and what isn't.

First and foremost, the neutral game. Obviously, Justice can shoot missiles. This is a problem for you, but it's actually not as bad as it may seem at first. You basically have three ways of dealing with missiles:

- Superjump (then DB FRC/Unchou/whatever once you get right above Justice)

- (Dash) Jump FD, block, then double jump/AD/land

- Walk forward (Don't wavedash)

Of these options, walking forward is the safest; and, depending on the order the Justice player detonates the missiles, can lead to the highest reward. But, most Justice players will know better than to just let you walk towards them. That's why you'll have to jump a lot of the time.

Superjumping is a tempting option (and it does work pretty well for the most part), but be careful of getting too reliant on it; a good Justice will catch on and start detonating missiles before you can get above her and anti-air you. That's why you have to vary your approaches.

Doing a normal jump (with the momentum of a dash, whenever possible) kind of gives you the best of both worlds. You can cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time, and sometimes you'll even avoid the low/mid missiles altogether. If you block a missile outside of her anti-air range, you'll get pushed back a bit, but you can either stay in the air by doublejumping/airdashing, or you can land and walk forward/block. I do advise against normal jumping once you're in her anti-air range, though. At that point, you're playing a different game, so you're better off trying to force her into the corner.

Once you get Justice cornered is when things get really interesting. She has a lot of ways to get out of pressure in general, and this matchup is no exception. Don't autopilot your blockstrings, because she'll either crack counter, use a move with startup invincibility, or jump out and make you sad. You really have to be patient against her. The good news is that she's relatively easy to tick throw (though most Justice players I've faced have pretty much based their defensive game on avoiding throws, so you can't autopilot that, either), and when you use the upcoin correctly ("correctly" being the key word here), you can really shut down a lot of options.

It's hard to say if either character really has an advantage. The neutral game feels pretty much even, and both characters have pretty adequate pressure. Justice has better defensive options, but Johnny hits way harder. If I had to choose, I'd give Johnny the slight advantage, though it's pretty hard for both characters, honestly.

There are also other ways. Besides the options you mentioned to deal with Justice's missiles, Johnny can now use the invulnerability of the DBT during the ascending part, no invulnerability frames at the very beginning though.

Depending on how the missiles are set up, you might be able to go through one with invulnerability then hit DB FRC, for instance at the apex of the leap, then either jump or airdash and do your thing and/or react (KJ, another DB, Unchou, block etc.). As a reminder, DBT with or without followup now has auto-JI.

I have yet to experiment in a live match how Step Jack might also be an option or not. Traveling big distance and hitconfirming into good combos or setups sounds nice but actually being able to land it is another point, missiles can be everywhere and Johnny extends his hitbox during the startup, possibly making you get hit while you thought to be outside of range. To be tested.

For the walk forward, it might be good to add, better be ready to IB or buffer IB while walking. For instance walk a little then crouch block "just in case" then if Justice did not try to hit resume your little walk or another option.

Last but not least, a VERY important point is you can combine the walk > crouch IB with zoning with MF-K(1) (or lv2) when in range. Mist Finer K's height is between Justice's horizontal missiles, so they won't hit each other. MF-K being faster, if you are in range, you will hit Justice before she does, therefore canceling her missiles. If she does FRC, you might be able to recover fast enough depending on how the missiles are, if there are others etc.

AC+R new properties also make MF-K(1) score a knockdown, making closing the gap easier after connecting.

Please note that should the Justice perform an upward N.B. at the very same moment you MF-K her, the N.B. will cancel your MF-K(1) if their hitboxes connect, then will continue its travel.

Since when hit all her missiles disappear, you can sometimes spend a few coins to get that effect, once again depending on the circumstances (distance, etc.)

I'd be careful with using Mist Finers. It's true that a counter hit mid or low Level 1 is pretty sweet, but Justice can backdash them pretty easily. Then you're back to the missile dodging game, which is where you're most liable to lose.

For the walk forward, it might be good to add, better be ready to IB or buffer IB while walking. For instance walk a little then crouch block "just in case" then if Justice did not try to hit resume your little walk or another option.

Any time I say "walk forward", that's what I mean. I should keep in mind that "obvious" things like this may not occur to people who are less familiar with the game. Thanks for clarifying, yet again. ;)

You can jackhound through bombs to get some free combos.  THOUGH, if the JU player is good, he can blow up the bomb during your jackhound and stop you (this is not very likely because you can easily bait bomb explosions, as well as the jackhound being very fast.)

mid mist finer hits JU under his kick bomb(head level bomb), but does not hit JU through his P bomb(feet level). 

1-hits are really easy on JU and you have to use this to your advantage to get some good mixup/mist opportunities. 

DO NOT 6P JU j.HS, it will only work like 1/10 times. 

Since bombs don't do too much damage, I suggest just airdashing or jumping into them and block to get them off the screen.  JU will then throw some michael blades or something.  And then... as long as you are at max range for Michael Blade's to hit, you're in the right spot.  You can bait Michael Blades.  You can bait bombs and either Jackhound or airdash Ensenga.  Just keep blocking those Michael Blades and try not to get hit by one. 

It's better to block the bombs than to get hit by them, which becomes a hard knockdown.