Sign in to follow this  
VR-Raiden

[+R] Sol Badguy Q&A Thread

I'll kick this off I guess? Hi. Two questions. I hope they don't sound too stupid.

How do I deal with the neutral game with Sol? I feel like most of my matches consist of me just kinda standing there afraid to press a button because every time I do so I seem to get counter hit. It's especially apparent with characters with better reach, such as Faust. Poking with f.Slash seems like the obvious choice, and if it hits then I can HS into fafnir to get closer. If they block f.slash what comes next? Gatling into 2S and look for another chance to poke? Gunflame? Bandit Revolver provided I'm not too close to get thrown?

Next question, what do I do once I've got that knock down? There's the choice of going for a gunflame FRC and trying some sort of mixup, though Kyle had offered me the advice of "just do a jump in. go j.S into j.HS and do a mix up," which seemed to be working fine, but I can't help but wonder there are better options?

Overall, I feel like matches seem out of my control. I work to be able to get in, and when I get in, I get some damage, but then I'm kinda flailing about and unable to mix up to keep myself in and press that advantage. I realize these are a lot of kinda vague and dumb questions, but this is the Q&A thread so...

Also a tad off topic but, would any of y'all be interested in a Sol Badguy Skype chat group or something of the sort as a way to chat and shoot ideas back and forth to each other? A friend had an Aigis Skype group going for the Persona players and that seemed to work nicely for a while.

How do I deal with the neutral game with Sol? I feel like most of my matches consist of me just kinda standing there afraid to press a button because every time I do so I seem to get counter hit. It's especially apparent with characters with better reach, such as Faust. Poking with f.Slash seems like the obvious choice, and if it hits then I can HS into fafnir to get closer. If they block f.slash what comes next? Gatling into 2S and look for another chance to poke? Gunflame? Bandit Revolver provided I'm not too close to get thrown?

This is definitely not a stupid question; in fact, it is probably one of the most difficult aspects of playing Sol, and what separates the average Sol players from the good ones. You've got a few of the basics already (f.Slash, 2S, Gunflame, Bandit Revolver). It's really a question about creating space, fishing for counterhits, and, most importantly, creating opportunities to move in. You can create some space with j.P and backwards airdash j.H -- both are very safe, can catch some aggressive moves by your opponent, and can help create a pattern of movement. This creates expectations for certain actions from you in your opponent's mind, and you need to take advantage of this by breaking those expectations.

Sol's best tool for getting in is GF FRC, often in conjunction with dashing in, jumping in, or even airdashing, often covered by some air normal (j.P and j.H, usually, but also j.S). j.H is a good jump in, and you can also airdash it and tag the opponent on the way down with j.P (and you can do this as a cross-up, too). Also, a great tool that has to be used very precisely is run in 5K. If the distance is appropriate and your opponent isn't sure what to expect next, or you've caught them in the recovery of some move, you can be on top of your opponent before they can react. If they're expecting it, though, it can be very high risk. Also, never forget you have VV. Run in VV may sound stupid, and it is, but that doesn't mean you should never utilize it. Also, if an opponent is being too respectful, or expecting run in VV, you can actually catch people sometimes with run in wild throw. Again, this is a stupid idea, and should be utilized rarely, but it can work on occasion. Bandit Bringer and Bandit Revolver can be used to go over moves, but neither is very reliable (Bandit Revolver is generally better -- a lot better). Bandit Revolver can also catch people jumping away as well as sometimes working at max range to get in.

Additionally, fishing for counter hits sometimes is an integral part of the neutral game -- it's important to remind people that you have ways to punish pokes that aren't VV and lead to big damage. 6P has good priority and a strong counter hit, but it's slow and it's range isn't very good. 5H is probably the best move for getting counter hits, but it's also slow. 2D is fantastic in the right situation -- make sure to take advantage of its low profile. j.D has some situational uses at max range, and can work as an air-to-air (and an air-to-ground against Faust sometimes). GF FRC -> block is good for getting counterhits and is safe, but it burns tension. It's also very risky if not FRC'd, but can still have uses.

And pretty much all of this is situational. As I mentioned earlier, I think learning when and when not to do all of these things is possibly the most difficult aspect of playing Sol. As such, I'd also really like to hear other people's opinions on the matter. Does anyone else have additional input, or agree/disagree with some or all of what I've said?

Next question, what do I do once I've got that knock down? There's the choice of going for a gunflame FRC and trying some sort of mixup, though Kyle had offered me the advice of "just do a jump in. go j.S into j.HS and do a mix up," which seemed to be working fine, but I can't help but wonder there are better options?

Oki options:

Safe meaties (my personal favorite): jump in j.S and j.H, usually. j.S takes some getting used to for hit confirms, while j.H (2) is easier, but both are great. If you time these right, they give good frame advantage and bait DPs. You can also do j.S or j.H and immediately input 6H+K. This is a three way option select: if the opponent blocks, you get j.S or j.H and frame advantage. If they back dashed, you get 5K and can punish (doesn't work on slow back dashes typically like Pot's). If they did a strike invulnerable but not throw invulnerable move (i.e. Baiken's overdrive), you get a throw. But if they did a DP, you will get caught by it. Oh well.

GF is also a very good meaty. Try to get it to hit at the very end of its active frames for maximum frame advantage.

You can also whiff an air normal (usually j.P) and then WT on landing. You want to make it look like the j.P will hit, so they block, and then you get the throw.

Jump in 2K is a decent low, and you can mix it up with air dash j.S as a high and jump in FB Fafnir as throw bait. But for the 2K/j.S mixup to be really effective, you should do it after a Bandit Revolver knock down, otherwise you'll give your opponent too much time to act.

Air dash j.PKD can catch a variety of things if timed right, from pokes to throws to jump attempts.

Just doing 6P on wakeup, not as a true meaty but immediately after they wake up (so they have a frame or two to push a button) can fish for counterhits, but remember you can be DP'd.

Run in 2P also gives frame advantage, but it's probably not the best option. Still, you can mix it up with Wild Throw, so it has its uses.

There's more, but those are generally the most useful and most utilized oki options.

Orrax covered a lot of it well. I'll add that in +R, its important to confirm f.S hits into FB Fafnir, which knocks down and goes into the same oki options Orrax described. If you buffer a halfcircle forward when you do f.S, you can:

-press D on hit for a FB Fafnir knockdown(also + on block)

-press K on block (or hit if you have no meter and outside 5H range) for a long range BR, which covers ground, usually leaves you + on block, and catches them trying to jump away. Be careful though, they can hit you out of BR in a number of ways if they expect it. You can also choose to BB but much more risk involved there.

-press P for a GF, which can help pin the opponent down if they don't jump away (usually once they've been conditioned to your BR). Punishable if they react and hurt you by IADing or otherwise, but you can FRC it and use strategies like Orrax mentioned.

Then there's always f.S 2S whiff cancel, which is always good.

Also new to +R, an expensive but very safe way of getting close to pressure the opponent is f.S 5H Fafnir(RC) dash etc.

Basically with f.S you need to pick your moment with it carefully, since its very bad on whiff, and keep the opponent guessing with what you do once it connects.

Also a tad off topic but, would any of y'all be interested in a Sol Badguy Skype chat group or something of the sort as a way to chat and shoot ideas back and forth to each other?

A Skype chat would be great, Final Ultima mentioned the idea to me a while back. That way we wouldn't be hijacking the Ragna one all the time lol. I'll get one set up later unless someone else wants to get it started.

EDIT: I should also mention again here, f.S 5H Fafnir Tyrant Rave knocks down Potemkin and Robo-Ky

Edited by VR-Raiden

Just throwing in my 2 cents, j.HS is good for lots of mixups on its own. It has 0 recovery which can lead to funny and satisfying mixups. Here are some of the ones I use.

j.HS as soon as you jump so it whiffs. You can either air dash backwards if you think they'll wake up with an antiair, or air dash forward and do j.S -> j.HS -> VV into knockdown. If they block it, use the j.HS to help you see and confirm that they're blocking it so you don't VV and set yourself up for nasty combo.

j.HS so that the 2 hits land deep, and you can hit-confirm into ground combo or another VV. Just make sure to get that knock down.

After you get them accustomed to seeing 2 hits, you can confuse them even more!

j.HS with a small delay after the jump so that only the last hit is blocked. Land, then do 2K -> cl.S -> 6P -> into combo I have yet think of. Or if you managed to get them scared, walk up WT. (Get some running momentum so you stay close after a blocked j.HS)

You can also j.HS whiff -> WT.

Or

j.HS whiff -> jump again -> deep j.S -> combo (another solid combo I have yet to think of)

That's all I can think of right now. There's probably more that I use against my friends. But I'm braindead right now. =P

Indeed a good question,

might be obvious, but i believe it also depends on the matchup... you want to get in all the time, in their face (except against pot, lol)

if the opponent likes to run away, chase them down with tools like j.236k frc, gunflame frc and 236 k or [k] sparingly and well spaced even the occasional riot stomp as long as its not full screen, mix it up and use lots of gimmicks if they know the sol matchup. against characters with longer range pokes, lots of fd, braking and spacing is required; go under unfrc'd projectiles and predictable block strings with grand viper for 50 % or so life, use 2d to fish for CH

its about knowing the ranges of of their moves and your range

Also VV rc and 2D rc are very good as both lead to 50 + percent life combos, make them fear and respect dp, and 2d because that sets up the WT command grab game

Edited by SIne

Thanks for the great responses folks. All of this has been really helpful stuff, even some of the stuff I already knew. It's nice to hear things solidified and know that some stuff you're doing is right :P

Question about Gunflame and Bandit Revolver, though the wiki says they are -2 and -3 respectively, that's not always gonna be the case right? VR-Raiden mentioned that there are instances that Revolver can be + on block. So if Gunflame or BR hits a bit later it's probably gonna be better on block? Cuz there have been many times where I would end strings with Gunflame every now and then, and it'll hit on like the last pillar of flame (it shoots out like, 4 or something right) and it's always lurking in the back of my head "well shit that's like -2 so i probably shouldn't try to do stuff" even though it may not necessarily be the case.

I appreciate all these responses haha. Y'all are like mice lurking in a wall or some shiz waiting for cheese. Nothin really seems to be going on around here then you see a new post and BAM tons of conversation. Thank you very much.

Pretty much. Written frame advantage is always based on the assumption that the move is blocked on the first frame of active time. So if you hit as the active window is ending, the window of Static Difference is always going to move towards the positive side. BR will be + on block if you space it properly because they're blocking it near the end of the active window, and you'll start your recovery just as they get put into blockstun.

Remember that you're going to have to space it properly. If BR lands right in their face, you're going to get thrown if they don't FD or crouch block it.

This is actually the reason one of my favorite mixups works. Most players block BR standing not because it's an overhead (it obviously isn't), but there's less blockstun if you block high, and it's easier to punish. This can work in your favor if you do it in their face because you can RC the second hit and airdash if they blocked it standing. So fuzzy guards and airdash pressure if you have 50% meter to blow. It's kind of gimmicky and kind of stupid. Which is why I love it.

Lastly, good choice on Sol. I hope you enjoy your getting ridiculously high damage for free when you land a hit!

I figured that was the case. Thanks for the clarification!

And yea, I've played Gear for a while and have been sticking with Sol for a good bit, but as my community grows (we're all kinda new at picking up Gear for the most part) I've found myself left in the dustloop so I figured I'd come to you guys for advice. Thanks again everybody. I really need to start playing with my local folks a ton more.

I've started practicing WT into sidewinder loops but problem is I get VV a lot instead of SW, especially on the left side. I've tried different ways of inputting but nothing has helped too much. Tips please!

You are most likely not leaving enough time between inputting up-forward for the jump and inputting the quarter-circle needed for sidewinder. Make sure you are tapping up-forward and not holding it.

Edited by Orrax

could also do a half circle (41236H) for the SW input. it adds shit to force a cleaner quarter circle motion, but just tightening your execution is the better solution in the long run.

OK, thanks guys, I'll be a little more patient with tightening the execution. Orrax, I'm sure you're right, when I practice later, I'll pay attention to tapping up-fwd as opposed to holding.

Hey guys,

Please give me some good dustloop combos that you've seen in Xrd that I can practice in +R.

Preferably relative easy stuff.

Oh, and combos from 2H would be appreciated as well, again easy and and applicable to Xrd.

Btw, the reason I ask for easy is that I am probably going to Anime Expo mainly to check out the game and it's soon and not much time to practice.

I'm still a beginner but I don't wanna look like a TOTAL beginner haha.

Again, I'd really appreciate it.

Getting familiar with some combos can't hurt, they may feel slightly different timing in Xrd though. but the generic dustloops in +R will work in Xrd.

Example dustloop:

corner 5K > 6P > 2H/5H > rising j.D > falling j.D > (dash) j.D > falling j.D > dash j.K/j.S > j.D > dj.S > j.D > VV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8yKWdf5nQQ

The key is getting the rising j.D out as soon as possible as you begin your jump, and the falling j.D soon before landing. If the falling j.D doesn't come out you pressed the button too early, if it comes out but doesn't combo you did it too late.

If you want you can choose to end it after that first rep. Also the 2nd rep won't work on light weight characters (Baiken, Bridget, Jam, Kliff) so keep that in mind while practicing it.

That same combo will work from an airdash j.S > j.D starter. From airdash j.P > j.S > j.D you need to end after 1 rep.

In Xrd it's common to do Fafnir > dash 6P > 2H/5H > j.D > Kudakero > (6P) BR after the first rep (after the first falling j.D)

WT will bounce the opponent closer to you than in +R. In +R you can practice simple midscreen WT combos that will work in Xrd, such as:

WT > (dash) 2H > j.S > dj.S > j.H > VV

VV(RC) combos that will work in Xrd:

midscreen VV(1st hit RC) > dash 5K/c.S > 2H > j.S > dj.S > j.H > VV

corner VV(1st hit RC) > 2H > 2 rep dustloop (first combo I posted)

approaching corner 2D > BR(RC) > j.D > land 2H > 1 rep dustloop will work in Xrd.

Basically, most combos not involving Clean Hit GV and SW stuff will be doable in Xrd.

If you have any questions, ask away.

so now that i finally have this game i can start playing around with sol. what should i first work on.

im having trouble getting a CL GV combos, especially off of a 5h starter. how much do i got to mash damn.

what match ups would u say are not in sol's favor and like what are they (ie: ky 7-3 ky favor, idk if it is that was just an example)

how good is dragon install 1/2 . also for some reason i can never get dragon install 2 to come out, it's 214*4 ps right?

i think that's it for now if i have anything else i will ask, it's hard to practice with nobody on netplay :(

so now that i finally have this game i can start playing around with sol. what should i first work on.

im having trouble getting a CL GV combos, especially off of a 5h starter. how much do i got to mash damn.

what match ups would u say are not in sol's favor and like what are they (ie: ky 7-3 ky favor, idk if it is that was just an example)

how good is dragon install 1/2 . also for some reason i can never get dragon install 2 to come out, it's 214*4 ps right?

i think that's it for now if i have anything else i will ask, it's hard to practice with nobody on netplay :(

Learning spacing with sol, what ranges he excels in and what normals/specials to use at different ranges. 
Learn his most basic ground and aerial combos before you look into sidewinder loops and sidewinder loop setups.
Like 5k>2hs>j.s>j.s>j.hs>s.VV, or f.s>c.s>2d>BR, basic combos like that.
Learn basic block strings and how to combo off of them as well.

VR Raiden has a tutorial on how to get CLHs off of it on youtube. Don't worry too much about something as intermediate as that just yet when learning this character and this game.

Don't worry about that, just have fun and learning the game, worrying and analyzing these sort of things when learning a game takes away from the fun and makes you biased when someone bodies you. Overtime you'll just know what matchups are bad for Sol as you'll play and get more experienced. Right now it's just important to immerse yourself into the game and have fun. but if you're really curious, Sol is easily zoned, so any character that has moderate to amazing screen control gives Sol a hard time. Which is why I said

Unless you're playing Xrd, dragon install is ass and gimmicky as hell. Don't bother learning or using it unless for jokes and/or to make someone mad by getting a random win off of it. And Dragon Install Sakkai (aka the 214 x 4 version) is even more useless and hella impractical to pull off in a match, there's a reason you haven't seen anyone use, let alone ordinary dragon install.

i think that's it for now if i have anything else i will ask, it's hard to practice with nobody on netplay  :(

Where do you live, I sub Sol and main Ky. If you leave upper east coast I'd be down for some matches, and it would also mean you'd have a good connection with VR-Raiden too. his Sol is hella strong.

Anything else I missed feel free to add. :)

Learning spacing with sol, what ranges he excels in and what normals/specials to use at different ranges.

Learn his most basic ground and aerial combos before you look into sidewinder loops and sidewinder loop setups.

Like 5k>2hs>j.s>j.s>j.hs>s.VV, or f.s>c.s>2d>BR, basic combos like that.

Learn basic block strings and how to combo off of them as well.

VR Raiden has a tutorial on how to get CLHs off of it on youtube. Don't worry too much about something as intermediate as that just yet when learning this character and this game.

Rest of texted I deleted to make space

Anything else I missed feel free to add. :)

I actually do. Live live near Boston MA. I'm going to start playing offline and stuff now cause I just graduated HS. I also have heard tht someone named troll bad guy lives/lived around me but idk. The net play on the game doesn't really bother me it's net play like everything else. I just got this and I only found 3 people online. I could beat 1 of them consistently really but that's okay learning exp and stuff.

To add to BladeOfJustice7's post,

The wiki is a good place to start if you haven't looked it over yet: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sol_Badguy_(GGACR)

It has a good overview of his moves and strategies. Also some useful tutorial videos are linked in it.

These videos are most important for basics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXxyzS1o_XQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhzR6rlPP8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lyl-gavEn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1KlHSzn1D8

I've put up lots more on my channel that are worth checking out at some point, all in this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDNPEhQzFdxjV8T9F_C2RySh6SOI5F87s

Check out this video, near the beginning it explains how to CL GV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-N6XKcyKcA

He doesn't have any that are that bad. In general he has most trouble on people that can zone him out really well. It's nothing he can't handle though.

If you're having trouble with a certain match, you can ask about it in here or in match up threads and people will be glad to help.

It's not good. The rewards are very rarely worth the risks.

Only time I see it being useful at all in +R is if you need a big comeback. But even then there's so much that can go wrong it's generally a bad idea.

There are much better uses for meter, like GF(FRC) and VV(RC).

Feel free to ask anything else we're glad to answer any questions.

If you have skype, you should join the Guilty Gear Skype group, people use it for match making in +R netplay a lot. Just let me know if you'd like in and I can invite.

There's also a Sol skype group with a couple Sol players of varying experience levels who are happy to help too if interested.

If you're in Boston they probably have a couple GG players. If you're able to get to gatherings you could try asking in match finder.

Yeah TrollBadguy is a great Sol player you could learn a lot from, but he hasn't been able to be as active with GG lately as far as I know.

Hello guys! I'm pretty new to Guilty gear and trying to soak as much info as I can before Xrd drops, that includes playing +r as well! Ive been a street fighter player for a very long time, but ive always been able to play other games, but just never really cared to play other games. Now ive learned the goodness that GG. Planning to play sol then switch over to Eddie when I become more seasoned, however I just have some quick questions. Living in chicago, ive heard and a a custom to some GG players and look forward to running sets with them and supporting the scene any way I can.

The first involves safe-jumps, in the SF4 series safe-jumps are mainly done by whiffing normals then jumping or some other action in the game like dashing then jumping right after. Ive noticed that is not the case in Guilty gear, are the timings just muscle memory or are they so based of counting then jumping? How do they really work in this game. Also in SF 3 frame reversals are typically not safe jump-able in most cases. Are there any moves that are like this like anything below frame number x isn't safe jump-able?

Also, can you OS back throw or not typically? and I should OS throw with 6HS+K right? Due to the fact that sol's kick has 3 frame start up, correct?

There are no reversals in GG that cannot be safe-jumped with the right move. For example, Sol's j.S and j.H have zero recovery on landing -- that means you can safe jump 3F reversals (like Robo-Ky's dp) with them. Also, because some moves recover instantly on landing (again, j.S and j.H are the main ones you'll be using), timing the safe jump is considerably easier, so learning the timing isn't that bad in my opinion, and doesn't require visual cues to get down.

There are some ways to OS back throw I think, but, if I remember correctly, they're kind of a pain and are not typically done. And yes, 6H + K is a good option select. There's not really a reason not to use it, either -- at least, not that I know of. Whiffing 5K is a lot better than whiffing 6H, anyway.

Orrax, I have actually never been able to safejump 3f moves with anything but j.P. Back when I was testing that a few months ago I determined that j.S and j.H simply can't connect within 3F of landing. I could safejump Chipp FB DP (4f) with them, but not Jam charged DP or Robo-Ky's high lvl DP (both 3f). I could only get those with j.P. Correct my if I'm wrong though, I did find this puzzling when I was looking at it.

On timing the safejumps, it isn't so bad since Sol’s common knockdowns leave them face up, and a majority of the cast has the same face up wake-up timing. An easy method is after a Bandit Revolver knockdown (very common), walk forward a certain amount before jumping, and just know how long to walk on different wake-up timings. There's a chart on the dustloop wiki with all wake-up timings I'll have to find the link for.

Here it is http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=System_Data_(GGACR)#Wakeup_Time

Also this vid goes over the subject in some detail if you hadn't checked it out yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1KlHSzn1D8

Yeah the 6K+H OS is really good, literally only reason not to use it would be if you really want to throw them backwards for positioning, since 4K+H will give Faultless Defense instead.

6P+H is a common OS other characters use since most 6P can work as anti-airs as well. Usually almost anything is better than whiffing H normals.

Oh and a universal good one is 4/6H+D, will give gold burst or throw.

Orrax, I have actually never been able to safejump 3f moves with anything but j.P. Back when I was testing that a few months ago I determined that j.S and j.H simply can't connect within 3F of landing. I could safejump Chipp FB DP (4f) with them, but not Jam charged DP or Robo-Ky's high lvl DP (both 3f). I could only get those with j.P. Correct my if I'm wrong though, I did find this puzzling when I was looking at it.

On timing the safejumps, it isn't so bad since Sol’s common knockdowns leave them face up, and a majority of the cast has the same face up wake-up timing. An easy method is after a Bandit Revolver knockdown (very common), walk forward a certain amount before jumping, and just know how long to walk on different wake-up timings. There's a chart on the dustloop wiki with all wake-up timings I'll have to find the link for.

Here it is http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=System_Data_(GGACR)#Wakeup_Time

Also this vid goes over the subject in some detail if you hadn't checked it out yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1KlHSzn1D8

Yeah the 6K+H OS is really good, literally only reason not to use it would be if you really want to throw them backwards for positioning, since 4K+H will give Faultless Defense instead.

6P+H is a common OS other characters use since most 6P can work as anti-airs as well. Usually almost anything is better than whiffing H normals.

Oh and a universal good one is 4/6H+D, will give gold burst or throw.

Mr. Raiden thats all the info that i wanted to know! Oh and yes I've been a lurker on your videos for quite some time. Just gonna wait until this friday to invest time into gear, with school and all. Thanks alot guys I really appreciate it!

Sign in to follow this