Sign in to follow this  
VR-Raiden

[+R] Sol Badguy Critique Thread

I'll start this off with footage of myself from a recent tournament. I dropped lots of stuff in general :v: but any advice on the matchups or otherwise is appreciated.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/465760825?t=120m22s vs Eddie

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/465760825?t=130m45s vs Baiken

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/465760825?t=144m4s vs Eddie again

Edit: youtube links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU9xnrHOuKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H1beuMmTqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSF-JIyU50

Edited by VR-Raiden

I'll start this off with footage of myself from a recent tournament. I dropped lots of stuff in general :v: but any advice on the matchups or otherwise is appreciated.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/465760825?t=120m22s vs Eddie

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/465760825?t=130m45s vs Baiken

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/465760825?t=144m4s vs Eddie again

Just making note of some things as I watch. I'm not trying to nitpick or anything, just pointing out what comes to mind:

VS Eddie:

One of the struggles with Eddie is that he can be really annoying with his pokes. But if your strings are tight enough, he shouldn't be able to get away with that, at least not as reliably. VV RC can also disabuse him of his poke shenanigans, as can cancelling moves like 2P or 2K into GF FRC -> block. You can also try FD braking just outside his poke range and see if you can take advantage of Eddie whiffing normals.

I personally don't think it's worth going for crossup j.D or j.S FB SW. I saw you skip air dash mixup opportunities that could have led to pressure if blocked to do a crossup that left you at a disadvantage when Coma blocked it.

You are wasting tension with the j.S/D FB SW stuff imho.

Less run up VV unless you're going for VV RC. I think you were afraid to let him get space, but sometimes that's better than rushing him down without an opening. Besides, it gives you space to look for a better rushdown opportunity.

Careful about backdashing in the corner; Eddie has a lot of ways to punish that.

VS Baiken:

Again, the crossups are something I can't personally recommend. Baiken should be able to punish them on block with the P counter, iirc.

The commentators are talking about patience, and I can't stress how important that is against Baiken. Don't get too frantic with your rushdown. Always be prepared to FD brake -- better to block and be put on the defensive than to eat a counter hit tatami because you decided to throw out a move at the wrong time.

Nice use of 6P as AA when you had Baiken in the corner.

I think you're making good use of WT against Baiken while not abusing it.

Good use of 2D and WT punishes in the 3rd match.

Completely unnecessary dead angle against Ouren, but I'm assuming that was a mistake.

I find j.D to be almost completely useless as an air-to-ground against Baiken. It has more hit pause than Sol's other air normals and the recovery isn't instant, making it easy to counter. I usually stick to j.S, j.P, and at times even j.K. I try to stay away from j.H as air-to-ground as well because the two hits also make it easier to counter. That said, using j.H as a spacing tool like you were doing is much better (as long as you can keep away from tatamis).

Don't throw out of the corner when you've got Baiken backed into it! All of Baiken's counters and her super are throw vulnerable, so throw is probably going to work and then you can combo. Plus you can OS it with 6H~K.

VS Eddie again:

I'm seeing some pretty unsafe dead angles against Eddie's pressure.

I've seen you do lots of 2S whiff oki. I personally think that type of oki is ok once in a while, but not as a staple like you seem to be doing it.

Hmm, it seems like every time you get pushed out, your immediate response is to try to get back in. It makes it obvious what you're going to do. Stalling a little and rethinking your approach is sometimes not a bad idea, particularly when it can force your opponent to predict when you're going to make your move. The saying "look before you leap" has some degree of applicability here. Then again, that can be pretty tricky against Eddie.

I like how you're double jumping to get around Eddie's AA options, although it looks like your spacing is a little off or maybe the Eddie player is reading your movements. Super jumping and airdashing can also work to get around some of Eddie's AAs.

Anyway, I hope that helped. I thought you played well, but the dropped combos really hurt your momentum.

Edited by Orrax

Drop less combos, clean hit grand viper, be more aggressive, do more 5D.

I want to see respect cancel 5D :v:

haha thanks. on CL GV, I think I was mashing too long for some reason, since I got all the hits but no CL. Actually the very first GV on Coma I purposely stopped mashing that one since I realized I shouldn't have done it and thought he was gonna burst over it.

yeah, literally any time I do 5D now is an accident. I feel like better players will just block it and usually hurt me for it but I should at least try for it to gauge their ability to deal with it.

Anyway, I hope that helped. I thought you played well, but the dropped combos really hurt your momentum.

Thanks it was very helpful actually. Yeah the FB SW stuff is gimmicks at best. I used that cross up one on Coma too much already so he knows it's coming any time I do it now. I need to just keep them up my sleeve for people who haven't seen them before, it's definitely not a solid option to go for multiple times on someone.

Edited by VR-Raiden

I think you played really good, sometimes you missed the parts where you could have did FB sidewinder to pick up those weird angles and you ran into a lot of drills and when you did 2k RC you should've command grabbed instead of 2p and also I not a fan of those riot stomps with out frc, even when you did RC you wasted meter and you messed up the fuzzy guard on Eddie... but yeah good,solid stuff

Oh and that baiken match was pretty spot on, played pretty correctly, I play against baiken (albeit online) alot and it's pretty much how it goes...

2D is really good if they love to mash GC, i like that 2s whiff 2k VV RC, to get in it blows up Counter poking and dp would at least clash with slash GC...

You should post that vid in the baiken matchup thread, cause that's pretty much how the baiken fight goes... She runs away with tatami, she approaches with j.s and j.hs and IAD tatami alot, and you gotta bait GC like all the damn time. She is really, really annoying , Good thing she's on permanent PMS, cause she bleeeeeds...

Also how come MD is so not hype on commentary :v:

Edited by SIne

Just wanted to start by saying that I think you played well!

Also, before I get into any critique I think I should say that this matchup has always given me trouble. I think it's slight advantage Johnny, and I'm curious to hear if you or anyone else disagrees with what I say, because I'd love to hear some second opinions on this matchup.

Anyway. Two important things I saw you doing against him that I usually find to be bad news: approaching Johnny from the air, or being in the air just in front of him a lot. He's just too well covered by coins, mist finer, and 5H, not to mention his 6P beats all your air approaches except VV (although it can be baited). Of course, I'm not saying never approach from the air, but you need something more reliable to fall back on.

What I usually find to be the best approach is to wait for an opening in the footsie game and then run in with either 5K or 2D. You want 5K simply because it's fast -- once you get an opening, get in there asap. Your run can also go under coins and other things, and 5K comes out fast enough to punish a lot of the time. 2D simply beats or goes under a lot of his moves, so run in 2D is pretty viable against Johnny as long as you don't abuse it. Basically, he wants you in the air because he has so many ways to punish you there, so getting him to think you're going into the air gives you an opportunity to run in on the ground. GV can also be ok for approaching for the same reason 2D is, but, yeah, it's risky.

I don't find 2S to be that useful of a spacing move in this matchup because Johnny seems to outrange it fairly easily.

Also, I find 6P and 2D to be occasionally useful oki against Johnny since they either go under or clash with his overdrive if timed right. Or, at least, they used to. I haven't tested them in +R.

Hey guys, Sol player R.S. from SoCal here. I've never really posted much in the forums save for a silly video or two. I'd love some tips to get better. I used to be really really bad but we've had a scene growing again and I've been getting better just through playing people again but I could use tips to take it in a better direction since I don't own +R at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQPkyyIUIw

5:25:00 Starts with me versus Pot.

6:23:10 is versus Millia.

I'll post more up when I'm not on such a slow PC and can thumb through matches.

Hey guys, Sol player R.S. from SoCal here. I've never really posted much in the forums save for a silly video or two. I'd love some tips to get better. I used to be really really bad but we've had a scene growing again and I've been getting better just through playing people again but I could use tips to take it in a better direction since I don't own +R at the moment.

Thanks for sharing, I finally got around to watching the Pot matches, I'll list some general things I noticed.

- Maybe you were trying to use new to +R stuff, but you ended lots of close ground hits with Fafnir. Canceling into ground hit Fafnir is only really worth it off long range hits where 2D wouldn't reach (like f.S > 5H). You should take a 2D > BR knockdown (or just 2D) over ending with that Fafnir stagger, the stagger is nice but it gives you much more limited options than a typical knockdown. Also it's good to know on Potemkin (and Robo) Fafnir > Tyrant Rave add on knocks down.

- I saw quite a few Tyrant Raves, I would advise using VV(RC first hit) instead in almost every situation. The only time Tyrant Rave is superior is if the opponent is far away enough that the first hit of VV wouldn't reach. VV(RC) lets you convert to a full combo on hit, or pressure on block.

- Potemkin's Hammer Fall (super armor dash forward move) is pretty unsafe on block, maybe you know but just messed up the punishes. It's easy to dash 5K or just 2D after blocking it.

- On knockdowns, you did lots of OTG hits. Usually this is a bad idea, since it gives the opponent the ability to air tech away instead of dealing with your oki. Speaking of oki, try to implement more safejump j.S/j.H, empty jump low, delay air dash, and GF(FRC) mix-ups after knockdowns. Also remember on Potemkin you can combo off a fuzzy guard easily (blocked close to ground j.S > fuzzy dj.S > j.H(1) > FB SW...)

- Judge Gauntlet (forcebreak super armor move) hit you quite a few times. If you react to your moves getting eaten up, you can cancel to Tyrant Rave if you have meter, that move loses to supers. Or you can RC and block it then punish. Also, you should be able to cancel to VV late in the attack, after he starts throwing his fist down at you.

- Seemed like movement in general was an issue, you did some unnecessary airdashing that put you in bad positions. Try making use of double jumps instead, or just refrain from taking to the air as much and make use of dash brake on the ground.

- In general lots of combos could've been improved but part of that is due to your unfamiliarity with +R I'm sure. For example, after corner throw now you can just do 5K > 6P > 5H/2H > stuff instead. Which actually helps vs Potemkin a lot, since before you had to do tkBR stuff after corner throw on him. Lots of combos were dropped which hurt really your momentum so I'd say just try to get more consistent with ending in knockdowns, though I'm hardly one to talk about that lol

- vs Potemkin you need to lay back on the risky use of special moves, he has so many ways of destroying Sol for abusing them. BB is almost always a terrible idea in this match up. Mike Z was punishing you for it often but not as badly as he could have been. You generally want to stay grounded and play a good footsies game against Pot. Keep him out with f.S/5H and look for chances to punish mistakes. His jump-ins aren't anything spectacular and you have great anti-airs.

I'll add more if I think of anything else, and post on the Millia matches next chance I get.

VR already commented on Pot, so I'm not going to add to that. I have a few pointers on Millia, though.

It's really important not to drop your combos against Millia. She's great at getting away from you and her neutral game is stronger than Sol's, so capitalizing on damage and knockdowns and oki are all key to winning.

Don't otg Millia unless you're going for the kill. It's not worth losing the knockdown. And if you do otg her, make sure you do a combo that works. Those 5Hs you threw in didn't combo (5S(f) would have, though).

I find random VV to be pretty risky against Millia; she is fast and can punish it easily. I don't recommend random BB either.

You were too close on oki multiple times, and Blitz clearly has the reversal throw timing down. If you want a meaty, I recommend either gunflame (actually pretty good against Millia because she can't backdash it, but I think she might be able to super through it) or j.S or j.H. If you've got her in the corner, you can also do the j.S/H 5K OS, which should catch backdashes (careful about supers and bursts, though). You can also jump or do FB Fafnir to bait throws.

Speaking of backdashes, end combos in the corner whenever you can against Millia. Her backdash is amazing, but it's not so good when she's backed into the corner. She still has a fast jump which is great for getting out, though, and a big part of the game once you've got her in the corner is dealing with her jumping out.

I have never found Tyrant Rave to be very useful against Millia. I'm not really sure why you're using it so much.

Generally, when you connect with j.P or j.H and you're higher up or not in the corner, just combo to VV for the knockdown.

I saw you jump out of Millia's oki a few times, which was good. You also got away with some VVs, also good. But a lot of the time, I just felt like Blitz was in your head. Getting those combos down and having better oki and will help, though.

Some things I noticed against Slayer:

When you've got your back to the corner, it's really not a good idea to poke him. Usually your best way out is to FD super jump away. If he's being predictable with Dandy Step, Grand Viper and Riot Stomp can both beat Dandy Step in the corner, but the former loses badly to lows, especially 2H, and the latter will get you killed if he 6Ps. If you really want to poke him, I'd stick to 2D or 2P, but both are pretty unsafe. The best way to beat his pokes is really just to do Volcanic Viper, and if you can do running H VV, it's hard for him to punish. IMHO, the best thing to do in the corner against Slayer is to just FD jump away, or VV him if he's relying too much on his stupid good normals. Slayer tends to struggle in the neutral game (and it looks like you were doing well there), so the top priority when you get cornered is to get back to the neutral game, not to beat his pokes. FD jumps are the best for that and, failing that (usually because of too much poking keeping you grounded), VV.

I haven't had a chance to watch the others, so I'll try to add more when I get a chance.

Thanks for that I totally agree. I know there's a bunch of matches but any more observations are appreciated. As for which matches I lose to narrow it down maybe, I lose that Slayer match, the 1st Order-Sol match, and the Johnny match. Kliff also gives me a bunch of trouble, I don't feel comfortable with that matchup at all yet.

Well, I watched the Order-Sol, Johnny, and Kliff matches. I don't really have much to add, unfortunately -- for the first two, I thought you played well. I think your biggest problem was just dropping combos or missing punishes, especially with Order-Sol. Johnny is also not an easy match for Sol, and I thought you played it well.

As for Kliff, I really have almost no experience against him, so I probably shouldn't comment much. But I will say you should throw his dodge -- I saw you trying to poke it in retaliation a few times and that doesn't really work as far as I know. I'm guessing you may know about this already, but you can do a j.H meaty/throw option select against him on oki, although you'll be vulnerable to gold bursts. If the Kliff player isn't cancelling the dodge into the P follow up, you can probably just react and throw it instead, which should be safer. If you've got a corner, you should be able to do j.H and then 6+K+H to do a three way OS: meaty for block, throw for dodge, and 5K for back dash.

Edited by Orrax

Local tourney: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l4jZG_KXgA

I'm at 16:50, 29:11, 1:11:25, 1:28:45 (links in vid description)

vs. Kliff and Potemkin (my other matches weren't on the recording station).

I've got a handle on the Kliff matchup, I think, but I do dumb things against Potemkin all day. Oh, and I know I need to practice punishing Kliff's drill.

I don't really have any tech against Potemkin :(

Thanks for the feedback as always. I would post my matches from Winter Brawl, but it's been long enough I don't think they're getting uploaded :blue:

Local tourney: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l4jZG_KXgA

I'm at 16:50, 29:11, 1:11:25, 1:28:45 (links in vid description)

vs. Kliff and Potemkin (my other matches weren't on the recording station).

I've got a handle on the Kliff matchup, I think, but I do dumb things against Potemkin all day. Oh, and I know I need to practice punishing Kliff's drill.

I don't really have any tech against Potemkin :(

I finally got around to watching the Potemkin matches (been busy with Xrd stuff). I'll list a few general things I noticed:

- Seems like you aren't familiar with bursting against Potemkin, a couple times you bursted right before he 2D and you were pushed too far out. Just have to realize that he can combo you outside burst range often so either burst early when you're still close to him or not at all.

- You probably realize combo stuff mostly, but I noticed you didn't chain to 6P when you landed corner hits a few times, which leads to better stuff. And a lot of combos were dropped in general that could have ended in knockdown which would let you get oki going, and possibly change the way the match went for the better. On that...

- On knockdowns you didn't seem to go for meaty safejump j.S/j.H often. Regular GF and just running in oki is risky on Potemkin, noticed you got buster'd a few times running in on oki. Starting with jump ins prevents him from using that as an option entirely. I did see you go for low airdash j.S on him, but unfortunately he backdash buster'd you for it. On Potemkin if you're going to delay airdash, j.P is a much safer option since you can cancel it repeatedly on whiff to either catch his backdash or at least force him to start blocking. Safejump meaty j.S is strong on Potemkin, you can do fuzzy j.S > j.H(1) > FB SW or fuzzy j.S > j.D SW in corner on him and mix that with 2K. Then if he starts backdashing you can call that out and punish with delayed airdash j.P. If he wake up shield super, you can WT before the shield hits you.

- Saw a lot of j.S > j.D on jump ins, which is fine and all but against Potemkin the extra landing recovery on j.D is really bad and can make it easier for him to buster you. Much safer to try ending with deep jump ins that aren't j.D if they start doing that.

- Try to watch his meter when he does Hammer Fall on block, he knew it was unsafe and only did it on block when he had meter to RC, which caught you twice.

- Saw at least 2 risky VV's when you were ahead on health and didn't have meter to RC I think, and it turned the match around :( I guess just try to stay calm and don't take such unnecessary risks.

-I saw some unsafe airdash j.S in general at neutral, wait for an opportunity before airdashing. At neutral try to stay grounded more and use dash brakes looking for slideheads. Punish slidehead with either CH 5H, RS, or BB depending on how quick you react/distance. Poke him at range with f.S/5H while utilizing 2S whiff cancel. Once he starts throwing f.S and 5H out to try and out poke you, you can running 2D/airdash punish those.

I meant to post my matches from SCR a while ago, but I've been busy so I'm only just now getting to it.

From the singles tournament:

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett/b/507113971?t=47m vs Baiken

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett/b/507113971?t=65m30s vs Testament (accidental random GV losing me a round and then accidental taunt, ugh)

From the two impromptu free team battles afterward:

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett/b/507113971?t=474m20s vs Zappa

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett/b/507113971?t=524m20s vs Johnny

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett/b/507113971?t=527m45s vs Testament

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett/b/507113971?t=530m50s vs May

There are only a couple people I have to play against locally, so most of my match-up experience in +R is against Ky and Justice. Any advice is appreciated. That said, I think I could use the most help against Zappa and May. I've never done very well in either of those match-ups.

Re-watching these made me realize just how much stuff I drop. =/

I meant to post my matches from SCR a while ago, but I've been busy so I'm only just now getting to it.

From the singles tournament:

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett/b/507113971?t=47m vs Baiken

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett/b/507113971?t=65m30s vs Testament (accidental random GV losing me a round and then accidental taunt, ugh)

From the two impromptu free team battles afterward:

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett/b/507113971?t=474m20s vs Zappa

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett/b/507113971?t=524m20s vs Johnny

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett/b/507113971?t=527m45s vs Testament

http://www.twitch.tv/thebrett/b/507113971?t=530m50s vs May

There are only a couple people I have to play against locally, so most of my match-up experience in +R is against Ky and Justice. Any advice is appreciated. That said, I think I could use the most help against Zappa and May. I've never done very well in either of those match-ups.

Re-watching these made me realize just how much stuff I drop. =/

Finally got around to watching these, I haven't got much to add sadly but I hope any of this helps. Love the dustloop use btw.

vs Baiken, noticed you got thrown out of your first empty jump 2K attempt, then proceeded to delay airdash j.S into pain for him mashing throw so that was satisfying.

I feel like in the first vs. Testament match you looked kinda flustered after making big mistakes (something I know all too well, as you may see again from myself soon...) I guess try to work on shaking it off faster and concentrating on playing the match up. Also some of the bursts seemed panic-y? (another thing I still do in tournaments often...). Maybe you know something I don't but to me it looked like you were using FD unnecessarily a lot during his pressure after knockdowns?

on Zappa, I have little exp against him in +R, but one thing I noticed was Kenji appeared to be crouching or at least avoiding a lot of your j.H attempts. I'd say j.S may have at least connected since it reaches farther down. Also I think I recall one situation in ghost where you froze up at the chance to hit him after he shot a ghost straight up and you were close.

vs May, I don't have a lot against her in +R. Even though I played it a decent amount at Final Round, I can't remember that much specifically about the match up (at least not that you weren't already doing). but I did notice a couple too many BB attempts that ended up getting you hurt.

I'm posting a bunch of myself too. From Final Round then Civil War. Critique away if you or anyone else cares to, I need any help I can get  :vbang:

Orrax, particularly curious if you have any input on the Justice match since you said you've played one a good amount.

Final Round:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sepFnYto4&t=9m43s vs Anji (win)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGzI3-R11E8&t=2m49s vs ABA (lose)

Civil War:

http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp/b/519248692?t=1h47m00s vs Testament (win)

http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp/b/519248692?t=2h14m30s vs Justice (lose) (wurst burst...and don't mind commentator he gives me too much credit haha)

http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp/b/519248692?t=2h31m00s vs Robo-ky (LOOOOOOSE) (tried reversal GV on every one of those ground rockets on oki and failed to time it correctly...also wurst burst)

Finally got around to watching these, I haven't got much to add sadly but I hope any of this helps. Love the dustloop use btw.

vs Baiken, noticed you got thrown out of your first empty jump 2K attempt, then proceeded to delay airdash j.S into pain for him mashing throw so that was satisfying.

I feel like in the first vs. Testament match you looked kinda flustered after making big mistakes (something I know all too well, as you may see again from myself soon...) I guess try to work on shaking it off faster and concentrating on playing the match up. Also some of the bursts seemed panic-y? (another thing I still do in tournaments often...). Maybe you know something I don't but to me it looked like you were using FD unnecessarily a lot during his pressure after knockdowns?

on Zappa, I have little exp against him in +R, but one thing I noticed was Kenji appeared to be crouching or at least avoiding a lot of your j.H attempts. I'd say j.S may have at least connected since it reaches farther down. Also I think I recall one situation in ghost where you froze up at the chance to hit him after he shot a ghost straight up and you were close.

vs May, I don't have a lot against her in +R. Even though I played it a decent amount at Final Round, I can't remember that much specifically about the match up (at least not that you weren't already doing). but I did notice a couple too many BB attempts that ended up getting you hurt.

I'm posting a bunch of myself too. From Final Round then Civil War. Critique away if you or anyone else cares to, I need any help I can get  :vbang:

Orrax, particularly curious if you have any input on the Justice match since you said you've played one a good amount.

Final Round:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sepFnYto4&t=9m43s vs Anji (win)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGzI3-R11E8&t=2m49s vs ABA (lose)

Civil War:

http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp/b/519248692?t=1h47m00s vs Testament (win)

http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp/b/519248692?t=2h14m30s vs Justice (lose) (wurst burst...and don't mind commentator he gives me too much credit haha)

http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp/b/519248692?t=2h31m00s vs Robo-ky (LOOOOOOSE) (tried reversal GV on every one of those ground rockets on oki and failed to time it correctly...also wurst burst)

Thanks for the input! Yeah, the FD against Testament didn't really do much. I think I was afraid of his overhead, so I kept trying to keep him as far away as possible, but it didn't really help -- especially not when I was doing it against beast. For Zappa, crouching under j.H doesn't really bother me as much as getting CH out of j.S by his 6P, so I tend to opt for j.H since they both whiff. And you're right to say I froze up -- I had a free punish and I completely missed it.

I've got some time right now and I'm not sure when I will again, so I just went ahead and commented on your matches. I mostly just made notes of a few things as I watched. Sorry if they seem discombobulated:

VS Anji - Hitting that fuzzy guard setup would have been hype but was probably too risky in that situation. You already had a big life lead, and you were gambling a lot on him either blocking it or whiffing the j.D. I find 6P and 5K on oki against Anji tends to lose to autoguard or Fuujin -- I prefer safe jumps, lows, GF, and even WT oki. The gold burst was asking to be thrown -- I think you were in range for WT and opted for 5K instead, which whiffed. Nice j.VV RC. More WT in general against Anji -- he's pretty weak against it. On the whole, very well played.

VS A.B.A - A.B.A has a very late wakeup, and it looks like it was throwing your oki timing off. I don't recommend using Riot Stomp against A.B.A; even in the corner, she can punish you very hard for it, and it seems to lose to pretty much anything she throws out. Don't try to beat A.B.A's stuff when she's on top of you. You can air grab if she's jumping predictably, or sweep 5H (I think that's the move), or sometimes get away with VV if she's really close (if she's farther out, it's not worth the risk in my experience), but mostly I try to FD jump out and create some space. Also, the longer you block, the more life she loses when she's in Moroha. Try to keep your guard meter from get built up too much (easier said than done, I know) and look for your way out. I like to use FD a lot against her because it pushes her out and I don't like her cranking my guard meter, which she does really well. Super jumping can also help you get away and stay above the range of her large upward hitboxes.

VS Testament - I don't really have much to say to this one. I thought you played well, and nice job blocking.

VS Justice - This can be a really annoying matchup; I'd say it's slightly in Justice's favor. Don't automatically cancel 5H iad j.PH into VV -- it's very easy to miss it, so always hit confirm it. First match looked good -- I didn't have that much to comment on. Running in on Justice is actually really hard; it's pretty much impossible to not get tagged by all sorts of stuff, including Micheal Sword. Run in FD brake, which you were doing, is pretty much the way to go, but sometimes you can get past stuff quickly with iad j.P, which hits Justice standing, and iad j.S is ok too, but slower. GV is actually a pretty good way to get under missiles, and I saw you use it once, but it can be risky because Justice can pop the missile early. You can also super jump to get over stuff, but getting predictable with that usually gets me air thrown. You're right to use VV as AA against Justice; I didn't see Eshi doing it very much, but her air to grounds will beat or trade with pretty much anything else (2H can sometimes work). On the whole, I again thought you played pretty well -- the matches were close, and you may have won if not for a few bad VVs near the end. I thought you had the general idea right (cautious but also somewhat opportunist approach), but you weren't utilizing all of Sol's tools for getting in as effectively as you could have. You also did not do the worst burst against Justice, which, in my experience, is to burst her throw when she has 50%.

VS Robo-Ky - Saw at least one run in low against missiles that probably should have been run in WT. Don't mess with his oki rocket; just block it. I know it's tempting to beat it, but unless your timing is spot on, I wouldn't risk it. 5K loses to his air-to-ground, but 6P can beat it. Robo's still got a really good air-to-ground, though, so messing with it can be pretty risky. Can't miss those DP punishes. I'm seeing a lot of j.P oki, but I'm not sure why you're opting for that over j.H. I'm also seeing a lot of random VVs -- I get the feeling that he's winning the poking war, which really shouldn't be happening. I see you CH fishing with 5H, but 5S is probably the better poke in this match-up. 5H is good, don't get me wrong, but 5S catches more jump attempts. If Robo delays his wake up and you did safe jump oki, you can just land and do j.H oki again on reaction and get another safe jump.

That's all I've got. Sorry if it was a bit disorganized, but I hope it helped.

Thanks that was helpful I'll definitely take it into consideration.

On ABA that full screen RS was a messed up dash break. Thought I had that error totally out of my system but alas...agreed RS seems pretty bad on her in general.

On Justice, curious what happens if you burst in that situation? She does some FRC or Michael Blade when you wanna burst anyway or somethin?

Yeah vs Robo-ky was really ugly. Got flustered after mistakes and let it get to me. On j.P for oki I like it over j.H cause its really easy to make it safejump or at least clash with his lvl3 DP. Last I checked j.H didn't work so well against it. but I bet I did some j.P when he didn't even have meter for it though, I'll watch again.

On Justice, curious what happens if you burst in that situation? She does some FRC or Michael Blade when you wanna burst anyway or somethin?

If Justice does throw -> 6H -> Imperial Ray, it's burst safe. Moreover, if you burst the 6H, the Imperial Ray will hit you anyway, and without throw proration.

I need to improve my Sol's neutral game this month before going to Japan.

Beside dropping a lot of combos what major flaws do you think i need to work on ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufvQQ4_u5kI

I tried to note a few things as I was watching. You probably know a fair amount of this already; I'm mostly just jotting down things off the top of my head and hoping that something helps you. I know you said major flaws, but, for the most part, I didn't really see major flaws. Instead, there are a lot of minor things I noticed, but combined they can still be important, so I made note of them anyway.

Your main Wild Throw set up seems to be off of 2K. This is ok, and it keeps people blocking low, but I feel like you're neglecting 2P. 2P has frame advantage, so you can mix up with frame trap -> Wild Throw.

I feel like some of your hit confirms could use a little work. I saw you do 5K 2D on block at close range and then you cancelled it into BR, which left Eddie at a pretty big advantage when you sailed over his head. Adding in 5S (close) to the mix -- so, 5K/2K 5S -- gives you a move you can late cancel, so you can add in a late low to catch jumps after it, run in Wild Throw if someone's respecting you, 5H or 6P to counter hit poke attempts, or just blocking to bait stuff because it's safe.

I am not seeing much 6P. Why so little 6P? I think I only saw you use 6P as poke-bait once in the first match.

I've also seen you air dash into your opponent with j.H a lot, which isn't bad by any means, but you keep doing it in a way that's vulnerable to IB -> throw. This isn't necessarily a major problem -- it's just kind of the weakness of air dash j.H in a lot of situations -- but I've seen a few times I think you had time to add in a j.P before you landed, which would help against people trying to throw you on landing.

GF Feint -> Wild Throw can work against opponents who are respecting you a lot (like this Eddie player), but be wary of it because it's pretty gimmicky.

I've seen low air dash j.SK a few times. Why? I usually only do j.SK when I'm not air dashing, and with air dash j.SK you can also tack on at least one j.P at the end (and I think if you're high enough, you can do air dash j.SKS). Basically, you're leaving too big of a gap in your pressure and it leaves you vulnerable, and makes it so you cannot continue a combo when you land.

I feel almost like you're getting ahead of yourself in these matches -- something I am frequently guilty of myself -- and instead of hit confirming a lot of things, you're anticipating things. This means that you're hitting buttons based on a guess, which may not work out, rather than having a set hit confirm you can react to and follow up with each changing situation. This is probably the biggest issue I've seen with your play style so far, and probably the only thing I'd call a big issue. The other things I pointed out are significantly more minor. That said, being able to read your opponent is important, but you still want to minimize the amount of guess work you need to do.

I've seen a bunch of times where you do run in 5K and basically put all your momentum into your opponent not blocking the 5K. But when they do block it, you're left with nowhere to go. Again, hit confirms can help here, and you can also mix things up with run in Wild Throw. Run in 2P Wild Throw or 2P 6P are other options.

Max range 2K -> run in Wild Throw is usually not the best way to go about things. 2P is much better for that because of the frame advantage, but is still risky.

I've seen you using Gun Flame as an approach tool, but not so much as a pressure tool, which is a shame, because Gun Flame FRC is probably the best pressure tool Sol has. Granted, I think a good case can be made for using it sparingly because of the tension cost, but, imho, it's too important to Sol's pressure game to leave out.

Also, using GF FRC to get in from full screen when there's nothing out to run through is not the best use of tension. You're probably better off just doing Gun Flame with no FRC from full screen and watching what your opponent does, since they're too far to punish you for it.

I saw you use 2K 5S finally, and then you cancelled it with GF Feint. There is no reason to do this. 5S is safe on block, and GF Feint takes away from the safety.

Hmm, I don't see you using much meaty j.S or j.H on oki. It doesn't matter that much against Eddie and you can opt for low/throw instead, but you can do similar mix ups of the meaty, and you can option select it against back dashes.

That's all I've got for now. I watched about half the video, but I felt like I was writing too much and nitpicking too much. I thought you played well overall, with some mostly small things you could work on. The most important thing was probably just getting better hit confirms and not getting ahead of yourself, which should help you keep momentum better and have a better pressure game. I didn't think your neutral game was bad at all.

Sign in to follow this