Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GF9Returns

Is it okay for Arcs to put "extreme" things in their games now? (uncensored stuff)

I'm just being curious.

Since I-no cursed a few times but there were bleeps, Ragna almost saying the "F" bomb a couple times (what the fuuu~), blood features in GGXX, and Kokonoe and Litchi saying raunchy things during their "modes"(HMPK and TMML)...I say just put em in. Their games are marketed for customers 15 and up anyway.

What do you guys think? Oh, and here's an example to what I'm talking about.

http://youtu.be/FJoCI6FcB5k?t=40s

All of GG and BB have stayed around Cero 12-15/B-C and ESRB Teen.

Cero B: Titles rated B have been assessed to be suitable for gamers ages 12 and up.

Cero C: Titles rated C have been assessed to be suitable for gamers ages 15 and up.

Cero B can have pretty much everything to a small degree except for drugs and alcohol use. Cero C is pretty much the standard for titles that end up Teen in the ESRB. I can't think of any fighting games that received a Cero D this generation. For the games I like that saw Cero D were: Metal Gear Rising, ZoE HD, and Bayonetta. Killer is Dead was Cero Z. They'll have to push the adult content pretty far to get GG/BB into Cero D.

For their main titles I highly doubt they'll go to a more extreme, adult content. It'll just mean less sales for them because it'll limit their consumer base. They have already shown the interest in gambling machines so side projects like that would be the area they could go further into adult content.

Well, for whatever reasons, the ESRB did re-rate the PSN and XBLA versions of AC+ to be M [where they gave the original PS2/P and Wii ver Ts, coinciding with ever other ver/entry of the series].

With BB the innuendo and allusions to such things is more "intentional", they don't specifically want to flat out say those things because it's "funnier" to censor yourself.

At the end of the day though, it really wouldn't add anything to the games, and like Kurushii said, it would just limit their potential audience pool.

All of GG and BB have stayed around Cero 12-15/B-C and ESRB Teen.

Cero B: Titles rated B have been assessed to be suitable for gamers ages 12 and up.

Cero C: Titles rated C have been assessed to be suitable for gamers ages 15 and up.

Cero B can have pretty much everything to a small degree except for drugs and alcohol use. Cero C is pretty much the standard for titles that end up Teen in the ESRB. I can't think of any fighting games that received a Cero D this generation. For the games I like that saw Cero D were: Metal Gear Rising, ZoE HD, and Bayonetta. Killer is Dead was Cero Z. They'll have to push the adult content pretty far to get GG/BB into Cero D.

For their main titles I highly doubt they'll go to a more extreme, adult content. It'll just mean less sales for them because it'll limit their consumer base.

Well, for whatever reasons, the ESRB did re-rate the PSN and XBLA versions of AC+ to be M [where they gave the original PS2/P and Wii ver Ts, coinciding with ever other ver/entry of the series].

With BB the innuendo and allusions to such things is more "intentional", they don't specifically want to flat out say those things because it's "funnier" to censor yourself.

At the end of the day though, it really wouldn't add anything to the games, and like Kurushii said, it would just limit their potential audience pool.

Alright, I understand all the innuendo and all that. I personally think it'd be a bit too far too. But cussing? COME ON! In Blazblue, the characters said almost all the cuss words under the sun, even more than Guilty Gear. They even said d!ck(Ragna called Hakumen that) and p*ssy(Hazama said it). It wouldn't hurt to for the writers to put the F bomb in. But you know...it's whatever. ("C*nt" would be a bit too far though)

They have already shown the interest in gambling machines so side projects like that would be the area they could go further into adult content.

Well that's good. A franchise needs to mature somehow. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Alright, I understand all the innuendo and all that. I personally think it'd be a bit too far too. But cussing? COME ON! In Blazblue, the characters said almost all the cuss words under the sun, even more than Guilty Gear. They even said d!ck(Ragna called Hakumen that) and p*ssy(Hazama said it). It wouldn't hurt to for the writers to put the F bomb in. But you know...it's whatever. ("C*nt" would be a bit too far though)

Well that's good. A franchise needs to mature somehow. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I think Ragna at some point did say F****.

I recall Ragna saying "bitch" a bunch in CT, but that disappeared later. I think Hakumen went from "masked bitch" in CT to "masked freak" in CS and Extend.

No, lots of characters say "bitch" or "son of a bitch" in later games. Makoto even called Ignis "bitch" in her Bad Ending in Extend.

Silly localisers.

Frankly, I think throwing in words like fuck in where they're not needed only makes the series less mature. Curse words have their place and can be very enhancing in drawing out emotion from a scene when used just right, but there's no reason we should just add them in for the sake of adding them in. Few characters in BB have a reason to curse for anything but comedic effect.

People have interesting meanings for "mature" at times. Swearing constantly isn't mature, though I really have nothing against the way Blazblue's dub is written (barring Extend, but we know the deal there). Mortal Kombat's fatalities aren't mature, they are so far overdone that they cause (possibly intentional) comedy.

People have interesting meanings for "mature" at times. Swearing constantly isn't mature, though I really have nothing against the way Blazblue's dub is written (barring Extend, but we know the deal there). Mortal Kombat's fatalities aren't mature, they are so far overdone that they cause (possibly intentional) comedy.

By this do you mean Reconstruction? I rather liked the rest of it to be honest, but CTR was a mess.

Blood and guts spewing and showing (overdone or otherwise) is guaranteed mature content, even when some of them are, in fact, comedic. If it isn't, the M rating might as well only classify the goriest of the bunch like

Death Cargo.

Also, it's not about swearing constantly, but swearing at all, and which words the rating systems accept. Say "Fuck" even once and *bam*, M-rating (close call, huh Makoto?). Hell, it's an interesting turn that there are T-rated games where characters say "shit."

Blood and guts spewing and showing (overdone or otherwise) is guaranteed mature content,

Oh no, when it's overdone then it's not what I call mature content, more like content for mature individuals who are capable of recognising how immature it is. Mature content is more like realistic consequences in a world where characters have realistic motivations, regardless of how fantastical the world may seem. Nothing about BlazBlue or Mortal Kombat strikes me as mature.

Oh no, when it's overdone then it's not what I call mature content, more like content for mature individuals who are capable of recognising how immature it is. Mature content is more like realistic consequences in a world where characters have realistic motivations, regardless of how fantastical the world may seem.

It's contextually mature content I'm talking about. Even kids can (but not always) see past the grotesqueness of content they see and find them ridiculous, but it doesn't change the fact that blood and guts spewing from MK fatalities on screen is practically mature content that aren't meant to be seen or played by kids in the first place, hence why the KA rating is dead. You're looking at philosophical maturity, I'm talking mature content as far as the ESRB is concerned. Blazblue isn't all that grotesque in blood nor language, so it does not, at face value, contain mature content. Whether it's philosophical mature in its story and characters is different matter.

It's contextually mature content I'm talking about. Even kids can (but not always) see past the grotesqueness of content they see and find them ridiculous, but it doesn't change the fact that blood and guts spewing from MK fatalities on screen is practically mature content that aren't meant to be seen or played by kids in the first place, hence why the KA rating is dead. You're looking at philosophical maturity, I'm talking mature content as far as the ESRB is concerned. Blazblue isn't all that grotesque in blood nor language, so it does not, at face value, contain mature content. Whether it's philosophical mature in its story and characters is different matter.

"Contextual maturity" is not real maturity. "Mature" ratings exist not because the content is actually mature but because it is not considered appropriate for people who are emotionally immature, only the emotionally mature. It's in reference to the appropriate audience, not the actual level of content.

On that matter, swearing has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of maturity, philosophical or otherwise, and is more a modern perpetuation of the middle age idea of the "peasant's tongue" being uncouth and disgusting language in comparison to the aristocrat's speech. Swearing being considered either immature or mature is comparable to science and rational thinking "corrupting the youth", though admittedly just swearing for the sake of it is totally immature since swears are basically forbidden and it's an attempt to be edgy.

When you construct a setting and a world and you have messages or themes you want to convey you have to be prepared to treat it like it's real.

In the real world, people have sex - AND they have sexual desires and needs!

In the real world, people kill each other.

In the real world, people have intrusive thoughts.

But they also get disgusted, they also get angry, sad, they feel frustrated or paralyzed. Sometimes they feel a sense of mission or purpose. These can offer both comedic and dramatic effects.

Now - this is all well and good, but what Anime has been doing quite a bit lately - IMO of course - is abusing these ideas, which are, sadly, a reflection of modern Japanese preoccupations and concerns. People desire sex and intimacy but feel socially and culturally chained to each other, causing mistrust and anxiety. So then you get all this incestuous or otherwise taboo sexual tension - usually played for comedy, but underneath is a serious cry for intimacy with others that no one seems to get.

Now - should BlazBlue have these things? Yes. If we classify BB as Light novel material (which it is, quite literally), then an adolescent to adult audience is in mind. Characters fall in love, have children, experience extreme and abstract tortures and suffer. Some experience quite complicated longing or loneliness - that's all grownup material - in fact, I'd say grownups like me only learn to appreciate some of these situations it more over time, and would have brushed it off as stupid when I was younger.

So - the TL;DR version of what I'm trying to say is that There's a line between adding adult or risque material for the sake of moving the story or characters along and being Gratuitous, which doesn't have any dramatic/comedic purpose. It's just there because sick fanservice.