Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toanenadiz

[CP] Nu vs Tager

Seem to be doing better in this match up. thanks guys. Faced a good tager today, he also didnt use sledge much at all. Keeping a constant eye on the spark bolt gauge seems to be the most important thing to do period. Still havent tried guard crushing but was able to pull off 4b overhead when he was blocking sickel when i was close to the corner. So scary! Don't think I want to be getting that close for the most part like bloodwolf said. But I hadnt really been thinking of guard crushing when he was blocking the sickle so thanks for alerting me to that option someonewhodied. I think I'll only bust it out in a pinch or if Im very confident.

reading toa's last comment I think the thing I need to focus on next is using gravity to mitigate magnetism. I definetely dont use gravity enough.

Still the tager I faced against today was more aggressive in our matches and I could read him easier then the one from yesterday. I really want to try and face another super-passive tager like that one and practice baiting out the spark bolt, until he gets flustered enough to try and move in. Thats when I actually feel confident, when they do what I think they should be trying to do.

At some point, I'm going to start actually getting punished for Dia parsers, but until then, I'm really loving it in this matchup. If Tager doesn't want to do anything, I'm content to do drive blockstrings and reset by parsering away until he dies of old age or something.

I am a huge advocate of playing against tager in luna mode. I'd normally never recommend doing this but throw out 236B raw whenever he sledges and you read him. Luna 236D is probably the best tool to lock him down, although as usual, don't get too predictable. Utilize 6D when zoning him - you can hit him while both of you are grounded and you can use it's jump cancel property to wisely Instant air dash out if the situation is dangerous. Just be mindful of your space.

Oh, and Luna 5D cancels spark. It's really nice.

You have less options in Luna mode to zone. You don't have act parsers and you can't spam gravity as much. If Tager sledges through a 5D, you have to either OD or RC, instead of being able to act parser away. You also have limited options when you are in the air. 236D becomes useless the second he gets spark bolt and single D swords have less pushback than double Ds. 6D is good but it is crouchable so you are gonna wanna do some 5D or j2Ds and Luna has worse options from them. Luna mode is nice against sledge happy Tagers though.

Luna 5D also doesn't cancel spark bolt.

Luna 5D also doesn't cancel spark bolt.

As I painfully found out today :lol:

One more thing if you 236d in luna too soon he can hold the sledge to guard through all the hits. I guess at that point you need to be ready to punish him during sledges recovery... something I did not do today :sweatdrop:

question: If 6d hits the spark bolt does it cancel it? Not sure if 5d wasnt trading because the spark bolt was too high and the 5d too low, or the spark bolt straight goes through it, or both.

Does it really? I thought spark bolt was a lv3 projectile and would just go through ours. I never tried though, even in training mode. :|

Are you telling me I don't have to care as much about Spark Bolt if I'm in Luna? Which I'm pretty much going to be in all the time so I can't autopilot and whiff things? Duuuuuuuude

Also, is it anywhere near a good idea to try doing things like Luna 236D in neutral because Tager moves at continental paces and can't do anything about it without Spark Bolt? I like to press stupid things like that fullscreen just because I know Tager can only waddle towards me and scowl.

Toan already listed good reasons that limiting yourself to Luna is not a great idea. Your mobility and sword push-back are important. Just don't autopilot into things and play smart. If you're just going to 236D full screen, he'll gain ground to you via the air/sledge. Even if you hit him once or twice, if he makes half the screen in the exchange, it's a bad trade. Screen space is half this MU. You've got to keep your screen real estate, otherwise he'll make it in and ruin your day.

Toan already listed good reasons that limiting yourself to Luna is not a great idea. Your mobility and sword push-back are important. Just don't autopilot into things and play smart. If you're just going to 236D full screen, he'll gain ground to you via the air/sledge. Even if you hit him once or twice, if he makes half the screen in the exchange, it's a bad trade. Screen space is half this MU. You've got to keep your screen real estate, otherwise he'll make it in and ruin your day.

I like your advice, but I think I heard the commentators say this (the real estate thing) at EVO 2014 when it was Yoshiki vs that awesome Tager player. It was pretty funny.

Oh and I also recommend watching Yoshiki play that Tager @ Evo. It was pretty much how you do it right, granted these are pros we're talking about.

The real estate wording is probably in my memory from then, yeah. That's a good example and overview of the matchup to look at.

5D is too low/Spark bolt is too high is why 5D doesn't work. 6D will cancel out spark bolt.

Oh. Perhaps I got confused then? I was certain I'd canceled spark bolt out with a luna drive before, perhaps it was 6D. I've also found that  j.2D luna seems to work the same, given you connect your drive with sledge.

In any event, I wanted to clarify I am not advocating throwing out Luna 236D raw in this matchup or ever, rather. Seriously, that would never be a good idea (huge startup, etc.) Please use it in situations that make sense (oki).

I have never been able to successfully act parser away from a sledge online, it always seemed to treat it as though I had missed the drive hit. I was able to re-create a situation in training mode though where I was able to act parser away - didn't think this was possible, so good to know. Always learning something new.

I believe that is due to the fact that we are in hitstop if our drive hits Tager's sledge, while he isn't so we don't get a chance to cancel the drive. You have to space your drives so Tager can't hit you before you can act parser.

236D puts tager into the wheel if he does a forward superjump. It does a bit of chip if he sledges and you recover in time if he uses sledge. Its great at full screen unless he has sparkbolt.