Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toanenadiz

[CP] Nu vs Taokaka

The Neutral Game

Long Range: Your Tools vs Her Tools

Medium Range: Your Tools vs Her Tools

Close Quarters: Your Tools vs Her Tools

Offense

Your Offense:

Her Offense:

Defense

Your Defense:

Her Defense:

Frame Data: Advantageous, Disadvantageous, and Punishable Moves

Neutral/Advantageous Moves:

Disadvantageous Moves:

Punishable Moves:

Gimmicks and Resets

Match Summary

Ok guys. I'm going to be honest. I'm getting destroyed by good Taos.. Has anyone found a decent way out of endless pressure strings besides blocking until eternity?

I know the best option is to not let her in, but with her speed, I'm having a hell of a time setting the pace of the match.

I'd suggest studying this video. http://youtu.be/n3lbkX-LCaI?t=12m23s

It's one of the few videos I found of Protos fighting a Tao, there is a Protos vs Isa video floating out there.

At any rate, this match up is one where you'll need a lot of experience going in to be successful. You'll have to control when you use your drives, I suggest using your drives at where Tao is instead of predicting where she's going to be. Also, for midscreen, in that video you'll notice Protos spamming 5A, that's mostly to catch Tao doing her cross through or mistimed drives.

Everyone has to actually deal with Tao's pressure, so it's not anything specific to Nu. If you're backed into a corner, you'll have to pick spots to slip out, or read when she's going for a throw. Even throw techs are an option to slip out. You'll also want to save as much meter as you can. You'll need all the counter assaults.

The goal of the match-up is to catch Tao messing up once, so that you can control her with gravity, and eventually get oki so that she has to handle your pressure. This is not really a match-up you can learn that easily and even me posting this won't help that much. It's an uphill battle until you get her in gravity or wheel oki.

This video does help, thank you. That is about what I've been doing, but it seems I just need a lot more practice at it. I'm usually blocking for a good 20 seconds before either I slip up, or manage a counter assault.

I probably need to work on capitalizing on when I DO get out. Thanks for the reference and response.

Learn to poke her overheads, her normals are good and lots of jump/drive canceled shit and the worst part is the low profiling 2A/2B so counter assault is pretty risky in this matchyp. She can crawl under everything you have except 2B (yes even 2A...) and anti airing her with anything except 5A is extremely risky. Keep gravity seed up and dont use any D moves besides 214D when you knock her down because she can tech and punish you with her leap on recovery

I've been having a MUCH easier time with this matchup now.

You can 2A after any of her drives and catch anything she does except a crawl or her 236236D (in which case just 2AA and the second one will catch any attack the tao throws out after a crawl or you eat the distortion and get a chance to get reset to neutral)

Your frame advantage after her 5D~A is +2 and 5D~B is +5. Her other drives have even less blockstun which makes life easier.

Your 2A is only slower than tao's by 1 frame so just advanced input the 2A and you will be fine.

Also hands off the barrier in this matchup and go for IBs. You will need to have as little blockstun as possible.

A normal Dia 214D is really useful here since it can easily catch tao and protect you.

Also in neutral, use backwards airdash, backjump, or forwardjump j.2Cs. Just spam it. Tao can't hit you with anything other than her command grab distortion when you do that. (or maybe her j.236B, Never seen it used in neutral though)

I can confirm that j.2C works wonders against Tao. I've had great success shutting down most rushdown/drive approaches with it (Obviously, don't get too predictable and use it every single time you jump in the air).

The real battle begins once you are under pressure from Tao and trying to poke out. Yikes. That's been covered enough in this thread though.

Tell me, could Supra Rage be used as a means of getting out of pressure in the event that Tao gets careless in a Block-string and starts going for too many Air-Normals? Like, is this even an option, or is there some vastly better means of countering this?

It is definitely an option. I was able to use it successfully a few times, which then made the Tao start baiting it, which allowed AA 5A and 2C to work easier. Don't abuse since you can be punished hard for it though.