Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Sapphire

Millia vs. Sol: This match is S.O.L. Well, not really...

Playing against Sol and Ky are pretty similar. The matchup in general is very winnable if you play your okizeme game right. - Don't jump in without your pin because Sol's 5K and Ky's 6P beat all your jump-ins, they also have their 623HS to anti-air you. - You have to play your okizeme game safely with these two because they have good wakeup options to easily get out of your okizeme. In the beginning of the match, for your okizeme, use HS disc then use crossups like 214K, 2369K, or air-dash across and back to hit them with the disc. These are more safe than say doing 2K or 6K because you won't get hit by their wakeup if timed right. Then when you punish their wakeup attempts a few times, they will start blocking on wakeup and that's when you can use easier mixups like 2K/6K. Or good players will try to jump out of the disc, in those situations try to predict it or use FB disc to lock them on the ground and give you more time to mix them up for a combo. - Careful with secret garden corner setups because Sol can get out of it easily with ground viper, and Ky might try his slide, though that doesn't travel too far so he might still get hit depending on your input. - Their rushdowns are pretty similar. Against Sol just watch out for wild throws, his high/low game is simple enough to react to. Against Ky they like to cancel 2D into jumping sphere ball FB and that's ur chance to backdash or 214K to get out. Even if you're in the corner and ky is spamming 5S into fireballs, if you FD to push them a safe distance back, then you can 214K under his fireball.

random: against characters with wakeup supers/specials, 214P -> FRC will bait them and allow a high low mixup (corner air combo knockdown or badmoon knockdown into 236H, 214P -> FRC(before hit), j.K or 236H, 214P -> FRC(after hit)) The only Reversals this isn't effective against are robo-ky DP, and slayer DoT. The other way to do DP safe oki is to use secret garden setups. You'd be surprised how well SG will work against people who think they can get out. And there's also just the j.S jump in, which is fine since you can go into TK badmoon or 2S on landing.

hello, I am having trouble vs. Anji and vs. Sol. Sol: Much simpler match up. Its alot of Volcanic Viper and Gunflames, he basically tries to zone, and doesn't do a great job, so I can get in. When I KD Sol, he obviously will DP on get up if I try anything, so say I end an air combo on him and he falls to the ground, do I have enough time to disk & block before he gets a DP off? If he misses, I have trouble punishing the blocked vV, what do you use to punish it? Can 214K go through gunflame? what is her besdt counter to gunflame, aside from jump over pin? Lets say I lost my pin for the time being, what would I do against constant gunflames and DP's if I jump over them? thanks! -MJY

Re: Sol, how are you on ground Pretty Mazes (FB discs?) In my experience, they're good stuff when used defensively as rushdown anticipation, as they activate fast and don't go away when hit. (And they own dry Riot Stomps, ha.) In fact, if they're intending to hit you, they'll probably hit you once (so don't try this if you have 1 health left or anything,) then get caught in the Pretty Maze because they were too busy hitting you to block. And unless that one hit you ate was a Potemkin 6H or something, being caught in the Pretty Maze usually holds them still long enough to combo/Winger/etc.

And regarding this:

When I KD Sol, he obviously will DP on get up if I try anything, so say I end an air combo on him and he falls to the ground, do I have enough time to disk & block before he gets a DP off?

The answer is a definite yes if we're talking Pretty Maze, though I actually don't know if a wakeup DP will pass through it even if it is out, and if so, if he has time to block it on the way back down. If the answers are yes and yes, that might not be such a good idea after all.

Off an aircombo KD on Sol, you have more than enough time to disc (FB or normal) and bait the uppercut while still mixing up, or at least applying pressure. Off HS disc, you should have enough time to do whiff 214P FRC j.K, holding 4 the entire time; you'll land in time to block the VV. You can also do any sort falling air normal oki which like the former, it'll keep them in blockstun if he doesn't VV but if he does you'll land in time to block it. FB disc can be a lot easier, as it's easy to confirm the FB disc hits on block and mixing it up after that. As for punishment, it can be a bit tricky at first because he can do the followup and delay his landing. I usually do a short dash to keep yourself close, if he didn't you can just 5S©; otherwise, just wait till he lands to 5S©.

How do I deal with Sol corner pressure? If I make the slightest mistake, I take some form of a counter hit into crazy damage. If this has already been discussed, please show me where.

If you have health to spare and at least a little distance, sometimes you can avoid getting into that mess with a ground Pretty Maze--if it gets out just before he attacks, then you'll eat a hit or two, but then his being too busy hitting you to block means he'll start eating it once it goes active, and from there you have plenty of time to 2H --> whatever. Or, if he knows that trick and is ready to block, then at least he's blocking and not pressuring you, and having to block all three Pretty Maze hits gives you time either try to get him with your block pressure or at least roll or whatever and escape. Well, unless he Bursts, of course.

Granted, all of this doesn't really help escape a pressure string you're already in, and I've eaten way too many Potemkin Busters to conclude that it works against throws. :( But it's a good anticipatory move for "they happen to be over there at this instant, but oh crap, they're running right toward me at full speed with murder in their eyes."