Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skye

[CP] Arakune Q&A/FAQ Thread

Hello all I have some questions/gameplay issues to discuss. I was watching these two videos:

Its 2.0 gameplay. Same series of matches but broken in to part 1 and 2. The first video you have to go about half way through before the Arakune player shows up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr94VAP5o8k&index=4&list=PLDZ_8ETqsDkBjthyCPe0KrJBG9RrF4kB1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt_kyo8voIA&index=5&list=PLDZ_8ETqsDkBjthyCPe0KrJBG9RrF4kB1

First of all, who is this Arakune player? He's like the best I've seen in forever! watching him gets me so hyped for 2.0 arakune.

My first question is what happens regarding one of the curse setups. Go to the first video and watch 55:45 to 55:47 that is just one example of it, it happens maybe 10 other times and the opponent gets caught in a few of them. Very nice.

It seems like the input would be something like:

5a(piano C)a >  j9 > j44+4bc > land

Im not sure exactly when C bug is being activated but it seems to be somewhere in the 5a(a) string. It certainly isn't coming from any actual C attack.

It appears to be some kind of fake overhead or fake jump. Just as the C bug bites you cancel your jump with air backdash to land back where you were.

I just want to understand the meta here. I understand that (from what I'm seeing) the C bug guard breaks now, which is incredible (maybe someone can confirm but It seems like you have to barrier block it now). So I get that the jump or jump fake gets the opponent to flinch or something. But what exactly is it threatening with while the C bug bites? an overhead like jC? a crossup? Even if you trick them into blocking high with the fake jump as long as they barrier they are fine right? On the other hand, even if they eat the jC overhead, what would you follow up with? The C bug is used and the opponent recovers before you land I'd think. Any explanation would be much appreciated. I can practice this of course but I want to know why Im doing what Im doing.

I also have some questions about this combo:

seems to be valid for both 1.1 and 2.0 so this is useful information for both now and in the upcoming version.

note that from what I'm seeing the j66 is no longer necessary in 2.0 looks like they are just doing j9 6d i could be wrong though.

5a(a) > 6b > j9 > j66d > land > j9 > j6c > ja > jb > jc > j2a (i think or b) > dive cancel? > 6d/6b > etc...

I cannot get the ja to connect for the life of me so I keep doing j6c j6c j236c as my finisher everytime. Can anyone give any tips on this? its seems to be a very standard arakune combo. Same thing goes for the version where you just float over with j66 and do ja instead of using j6c > ja I cannot get either to connect.

As far as the c bug thing since it guard breaks now the high/low game is traded on part for the cross up game and when you have cross ups, you have fake cross ups. So the forward jump air backdash would appear to me as a fake cross up, since the player could just have easily completed the forward jump and made it an actual cross up. The meta here is similar to the high/low, with low block/high block being trade for if you should hold left to block or hold right.

That combo you're trying will only work, if at all, with an N starter in 1.1. Also don't beat yourself up over the iad j.a link. It's extremely hard.

Lastly, I have no idea who that player is.

Response is very much appreciated thank you.

What would it look like if he didn't fake the crossup though? would you just float off to the other side until you land? I guess what I'm asking is, what's the followup when you don't fake? jC on the backside of the opponent? I'd imagine it takes a while to land if you don't backdash to fake it. Well that being said, if its a fake crossup why not use 214b/c?

For the ja connecting combo, why does it need to be an N-starter? I'm wondering if its because after the iad j66d you have to wait a little longer so that the opponent floats closer to you (case in which they would recover if it weren't an N starter)? I can understand that in order to complete the combo to the end it has to be N starter but my ja is whiffing after j6c which seems to be a positioning thing. If I need to delay my j6c more then it makes total sense why it needs to be an N starter.

Well anyways that is a HUGE bit of information there I appreciate it. That combo was driving me nuts. I'm gonna practice it with N-starters see if I become more consistent. When do you j66 float ja and when do you j6c ja? Is it just preference?

What are arakune's N-starters? I can't find the data in the dustloop wiki. I feel like ive seen it done with 5a ( > 6b > etc) as the starter but I could be wrong.

[edit:] nope you're right I never noticed. at least in 1.1 it looks like its either been with j66 > j4b starter, or 6b. 

The crossup thing is either do 214A to crossup or jump forward 44j.C to stay on the same side while the C bug activates I guess?

To answer what moves are N starters, I will answer it quicker by telling you what moves are not N starters.

5a, 2a, j.a, j.b, ground throw and air throw are all S starters, you'll get a shorter combo than with N starters.

f of g (j.214214d) is a VS (very short) starter, this you're not meant to combo from this, though its possible for a very brief time.

Everything else is an N starter.

Thank you both of you, that makes alot of sense. I also saw the player do ja > 9jump-cancel > j66 (instead of j44) > 4bc to end up on the other side as the C bug bit the opponent so I got to see both crossup and fake crossup.

Do you know what I could be doing wrong with the ja connect though? even with an N starter, the ja is whiffing. What do you higher level players find yourselves doing to close the gap after j66d?

I was wondering with the new blazblue 2.0 coming out soon if someone could explain how the new C bug works. I feel like the changes are worth discussing.

It looks like it guard breaks now? If so, how does one properly guard it? Does it require barrier? Low Block?

Does it stun longer in 2.0 if it connects? I tried to do some things that I am seeing in 2.0 with my current 1.0 and for example with the C bug crossup, I don't have time for it to land AND still go into rekkaken 6c 5c 2c. They recover before the first 6c. It also seems like the 6c whiffs anyways, so does the new C bug also sort of pull the opponent in a bit?

Thanks!

Where can I find frame data on Arakune's backdash, forward dash, and teleports?  The wiki has the teleport but doesn't mention his forward dash.

I've been having huge problems punish an Arakune that spams dashes on wakeup and forward dash.  I know Forward dash has vulnerable startup, but I want to be able to punish it after he's dashed forward reliably.  

Thanks.  So If I read this right, Arakune's forward dash is invincible from F5-14, but the duration is 40.  So for 26 frames Arakune is vulnerable at the ending location of his forward dash.  Is that correct?

Seems like it.

I have no idea how to do 6D into spider move midscreen (the path I tried using as an example is 5C > 6D > 22B/j.22B). If I try to jump early the bug will not appear and the enemy will tech, if I do it a little bit later the spider won't reach the enemy in time before they tech.

Funny thing is, I can do 5C > 6D > j.3D > air combo just fine.

Also, this isn't related to the previous problem but doesn't Arakune have other curse combo options? Usually the only ones I see are spin wheel loops with C and D bugs and the forementioned spider (Permutation) routes.

I also seem to be unable to do j.C > j.2D in CPEX like in CSE. Did j.C had it's revolver to j.D removed?

Finally, also having problems to combo after 5A > 6B > j.6D if I don't begin the combo point blank. The example combo in this case is (just for demonstration purposes): 5C> 6CC > 5A > 6B > j.6D > land > j.6C > air combo, but the j.6C will either whiff or it's a blue beat if I delay a bit more. Do I have to IAD j.6D? or is this combo possible at all? (Tried it on Jin). This is all 2.0 gameplay.

I can answer only a few of these questions, so maybe someone else can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. You and I seem to be at relatively the same place in terms of Arakune gameplay. I still have trouble connecting the 6D > j22B/C combo.

Also, this isn't related to the previous problem but doesn't Arakune have other curse combo options? Usually the only ones I see are spin wheel loops with C and D bugs and the forementioned spider (Permutation) routes.

This is the most common route. Usually open up by applying the 5A/2A bug pressure into crossup C bug (guard crush) then start the combo with 6CC for big damage.

I also seem to be unable to do j.C > j.2D in CPEX like in CSE. Did j.C had it's revolver to j.D removed?

jC > j2D does not combo in CPEX. I believe it is back for CF though. Most combos after jC will go into either the air DD (can't remember the name... f of g? 214214D) for curse or into a dive (j2A/B/C depending on relative position) followed by 6D > j22B/C.

Finally, also having problems to combo after 5A > 6B > j.6D if I don't begin the combo point blank. The example combo in this case is (just for demonstration purposes): 5C> 6CC > 5A > 6B > j.6D > land > j.6C > air combo, but the j.6C will either whiff or it's a blue beat if I delay a bit more. Do I have to IAD j.6D? or is this combo possible at all? (Tried it on Jin). This is all 2.0 gameplay.

This combo is character and starter specific. For example on some characters you need to use j6A as opposed to j6C to connect the air combo route. Also, I find it is easier to time the combo when you use a 6A starter as opposed to 5A. There is a long post on the CP Arakune Combo thread which details the differences (here). The post is about 1/3 down the page by Argent Zero.