Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skye

[CP] Arakune vs Iron Tager

I'll leave my two cents on this matchup, since I've been playing it regularly since CT.  Obviously this is a pretty easy matchup.  Tager can't do too much to get close to Arakune, and many of his options are very punishable.  Ultimately, I think this is a battle of patience for both characters.  If you try and play an aggressive Arakune in this matchup, Tager only needs a few good reads and the game is his.  But if you can be patient and build up curse without ever getting close to Tager as well as dodging the occasional Spark Bolt, this matchup should be free most of the time.

Arakune's best tools:

Zero Vector (The Cloud): Tager has a lot of ways to move through projectiles.  But he can't do much to deal with Arakune's cloud.  As long as Tager doesn't have a Spark Bolt charged up and you're not magnetized, you can throw these out with no worries at all.  The homing cloud and the cloud that follow Arakune will always be able to get Tager somehow.  Unfortunately, the cloud that hovers over the opponent's head will be virtually useless.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't hit him even if he jumps, although don't quote me on that.

Pretty Much All of your Ranged Attacks: All of Arakune's zoning tools can help play a role in this matchup.  j.D is amazing for punishing Sledge Hammer.  Placing Bell Bugs (6D) over Tager's head can put him in a tough situation, especially if you try and get in a quick low attack.  If you place one in front of him, it's also a pretty good way to bait out a Sledge Hammer.  Be careful with 2D, however.  Tager can plow through this one extremely easy.  And lastly, 22A/B/C can be a great tool if used correctly.  A lot of players forget that Arakune has this tool.  I can't think of many situations where 22A is useful, but 22B/C have many useful situations as long as this move is used in moderation.

j.6A/B/C: This is useful both as an offensive tool and an evasive tool.  If Tager is attempting a lot of aerial approaches, you can usually time a j.6A/B/C to beat out Tager's j.C.  This is also a great tool to get on the other side of Tager and help keep your distance from him.

Wall Teleport: Again, another great evasive tool.  Just be careful with this, because you might eat a Spark Bolt or an air grab on the other side.

Some helpful tips:

Don't let magnetism scare you: Arakune has a lot of useful ways to get around magnetism.  If you're playing a solid keepaway game, Tager's mostly going to get you magnetized through Spark Bolt.  This usually means that both players are on opposite sides of the screen.  Try to stay grounded if you're in this situation, and be careful with your attacks.  Tager's magnetism is much more terrifying to an Arakune in the air.  I'd also recommend watching some of the videos here for this matchup.  Arakune can do a lot of silly shenanigans against Tager when he's magnetized.  214A and 2A can reset the positions back to both characters being as far away from each other as possible.

Learn how to play rock paper scissors: Gadget finger is pretty much a game of rock paper scissors.  Never pick one option too many times.  If you think Tager is going to poke you, then back-dashing will get you away from him.  If you think Tager is going to grab you, then jumping is your best option.  However, if you backdash, he can pull you in with a grab.  And if you jump, he can catch you with Atomic Collider.  Trying to poke Tager is usually a bad idea.  It will work sometimes, but when it backfires it hurts.  Just remember that 236236C can beat out a lot of Tager's options.  You only really need to hit him with this once or twice, and you'll start to see him block after Gadget Finger when you have 50 heat.  Obviously you don't want to overuse this because if Tager predicts it properly he can punish you hard for it.

Run out the clock: If you have the health advantage, and you see that there's only a few seconds left in the match... just run away.  Tager has a tough time catching Arakune, and if you're playing smart you'll run into these situations a lot.

Don't try to catch Tager off-guard with standing overheads: Seriously... just don't.  Most Tager players disrespect like a mother-fucker.  Doing this is basically giving the Tager player free command grabs.

In short: Be a spineless coward.

Is it possible to j2a > 6d > 2c on Tager in the corner? i tried but couldn't get it to work, he's too obese.

And I couldn't get this to work either.