LunaKage

[CP] Noel Vermillion - Critique Thread

BBCP_Header_Critique_Thread.png

Post up your CP Noel videos to be critiqued. No footage is too scrubby, we're here to help after all. Even if you think you're the best Noel ever, feel free to post up, because you never know when someone may have a good idea, even if you're "better" than the one giving suggestions.

Hello everyone, I haven't played BlazBlue sense the first one came out so I been out of the game for a while. I picked this up and I am really enjoying it right now. Obviously I choose Noel as my main when the game was first released. Here are some my first I had with the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOgmo4MR008 Subscribe to my channel I will be uploading more. I have 4 games already including the link above.

Edited by Ecks007

I noticed when you were dealing some damage around the 38-42 second mark of the video you let loose and optic barrel, gotta be sure not to do that because it really left you open to punishment, instead you can use Chamber Shot. I've done that too (and will continue to do it until I play smarter), its taking some getting used to. And I think I saw your opponent get a jump in on you and you tried to get him with a 5D, and it was countered. What I do and I'm not sure if it would have worked in that situation (not really that good at the game), but I try to time her 4D when I think they're going to try a jump in, if it lands good, if not ooops lol, if all else fails high guard I guess. I need to get my capture card up and running again, i need some critique too, I haven't adjusted to this game well at all.

Was wondering if you guys could critique my Noel, I'm pretty terrible, and looking for some advice on things I need to fix/work on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxh9u7ocqmU This one is pretty long sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vlhJWrQHWk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fax_HCbRLM4

I pretty much wrote an essay on your matches. I hope you don't mind all the specific callouts, it's simply better for me to go about it this way. I also would like it if what I said would serve as a base for discussion with other people, because they are mostly my opinion to begin with. I'm using this post as a way to test if what I'm thinking is right.

On a sidenote, I'll be attending the monthly Montreal tournament next weekend, so expect me to ask for this thread's input on whatever games I can manage to get on stream.

FIRST VIDEO

0:48 As of BBCP, it's pretty much better to go straight into 22C after 3C. 22B does little damage, pushes the opponent away which makes it difficult to follow up and thus is best kept for combo enders.

0:58 When going for air to air, it's best to let jC hit entirely. Airborne CH jC can now easily convert into a full combo with things like 5B sjc jC jD. Adding a jB messed up this opportunity for you.

1:02 If you're going for a 4D, I feel like you might as well autopilot into your combo extension of choice (I go for 4D 2D into whatever). In case it's blocked, Noel's drive pressure is pretty legit in this game anyway.

3:52 That's not a very hard hitconfirm, yet you went for a string that doesn't combo. Try and learn to recognize when your 6B 5D is hitting someone.

4:09 Hail Mary Assault Through. Since you have meter to RC it, I'd say it's generally not a bad move (though in this matchup Hakumen could counter it pretty easily). It's not stupidly unsafe like before, and your opponent needs to instant block it to punish most of the time... but RCing it gives you assured pressure/conversion wether it got blocked or not.

4:10 It's becoming very apparent that you often go straight for 6A 6C. In this scenario, going for 6A when you're -4 is banking on your opponent oddly respecting, which went fine this time around. It's just that 6A 6C is not a thing you do to open people up, and it's kinda unsafe to just throw around because of the possibility of whiffing 6C and looking like a fool.

4:33 Backthrow without a followup. Throwing in the corner doesn't even require you to cancel into 214A, so you really should convert on those. I have no idea if this is optimal or what, but as of now in the corner I gor for

throw --> 2C(2) 5C sjc jC jD d.6B 22C 6C(2) 6B 22.

5:21 This was a moment where you could've pressed pretty much any other 2 drive attacks, cancelled into Fenrir, and got your round win. Sometimes the simplest conversions are the best...

7:48 This has not been working out for you. The stable 2D airhit (or any hit, really) conversion I use is 2D d.5A d.6B, which combos on air hit and ground hit (crouching them in the process), and keeps opponent blocking for an overhead if they blocked. Mixup or combo as appropriate if you hit or not. You want to go for a d.5B wallbounce route at this point because you don't have access to 22C.

Note: d.5A d.6B only combos if you input the second move very quickly, bacause d.5A is so fast.

8:02 So you noticed your opponent was blocking 6B by anticipation and went for 214A. That's a good adjustment. Do note that, like blockstring raw 3C, this option keeps people honest but they are also very punishable if they guess correctly. Blockstring into 6D is both harder to mash out of and also leads to drive pressure or combos, so you really should prioritize it unless you have a really good read and feel like you can get the 214A starter for a very nice combo.

The second thing is your followup combo wasn't on point. For basic easy damage stuff, you could try going with

214A 5B 5C sjc jC jD d.6B d.5C d.6B d.5C d.236D

For an easy midscreen knockdown, try

214A 5B 5C sjc jC jD d.6B d.5C d.6B 22C~66C(1) 6B 22

You succeeded in that example in the video, but remember that if you have difficulty with landing 5B after 214A, you can 2B instead for slightly less damage but an easier link. Also keep in mind you can hold down the button for your link into 5B/2B to take advantage of BlazBlue's 3 frame input buffer thing.

8:11 As said before, a drive hit should go into a d.5B route, in this case launching with d.6A d.5B. For big damage, and a round win in your situation, you can also use the fact that d.6B forces crouch and get your value out of that situation with d.6B d.5C d.6C d.236D(1) RC 214A. This adds a whopping 1.5k damage with 214A alone and should be considered whenever you can hit with d.6C. You can follow up after 214A and blow your entire meter for respectable 100% meter damage. A sample combo in this situation would be

[whatever blockstring] d.6B (hits opponent!) d.5C d.6C d.236D(1) RC 214A 5B/2B 5C sjc jC jD d.6B d.5C d.6B 632146D (does around 5.2k damage)

9:23 You got a crouching hit! Yeah! It's not like you could've did an amazing combo with a bad starter like jA, but try and hitconfirm those crouching hits into 3C, say with jA 5A 5B 5C 3C 22C into stuff. 3C combos aren't that great since they used 22C and so you can't use it again at the end of combos, but they do allow for great corner carry. Sample, easily hitconfirmable combo with jA as a Short starter:

jA 5A 5B 5C 3C 22C 66C(2) 2D d.5A d.6B d.5C d.6B d.236D

9:28 This is a pretty obvious punish, as Hakumen's counters leave him vulnerable and in counterhit state for a long time and you're very near to him. Quoting Luna from the combo thread on this one:

PUNISH WITH THIS COMBO WHENEVER POSSIBLE!!! Counter Hit 5C(Standing)/6C(Crouching) > 214A > 5B/2B > 5C > sj.C > j.D > (d.6B) > d.6C > d.2D > d.6B > 22C~66 > 6C > 6B > 22B (4.5k-5.2k) [This combo hits hard, if you know the punished move will put your opponent into a crouching state, use 6C, since Counter Hit 6C forces standing)

13:08 I know it's hard to resist the swag, but the Astral is pretty bad. Try and only do it on stuff you know is coming and not only hope they swing into it, it's pretty bad at that because it doesn't catch moves until like frame 9. With that much meter, instead of Astral, you have access to RC blockstrings with mixups to end the game, and Counter Assault to bail you out of Hakumen's kinda existing pressure.

13:22 j2C at neutral! It's cool! But it's also pretty useless... It's awkward to hit with, and doesn't yield anything good on hit. Refrain from using it too much, if at all.

13:36 Again, this is a punish. Even more obvious than the one from from before. The same combo is applicable. You can even do better since it's the corner! Again, not tested for optimal combo, but this is what I use:

CH 5C/6C 214A 5B/2B 5C sjc jC jD d.6B d.5C d.6B 22C~66C(1) 4D 214D 6C(2) 6B 22 (5C = 5.5k, 6C = 5k)

Around 14:00 Chamber Shot at neutral! It's cool! I got a shotgun! But it's also bad. It reaches pretty far, but the recovery should get you killed if it whiffs. Same comment as j2C. I might as well say the same thing about Revolver Blast at super jump height: it accomplishes nothing much. j4D at neutral is also quite a bad habit. It's been doing you more good than harm in this set, but I wouldn't count on it for too long, it's too easy to mash out of.

14:48 Thank god your opponent was in the mood for some cookie dough and decided not to just finish you off with the airgrab damage. (dropped combos sound like an actual good place to mash Astral, banking on the opponent's frustration he will probably autopilot anyway)

16:30 You are getting really, really repetitive with your pressure pattern. 2AAA 5B --> high/"low" (as in, 6B/214A) is an option but you should go for other stuff. If the opponent is blocking, try going for a short dash in grab. If they mash out of that, incorporate frametraps in your gameplay, by staggering your 2A's, or doing stuff like 2B > 2B (this is not a gatling, and so it leaves a hole big enough for people to try and mash, which will generally lead into them getting counterhit by the second 2B).

16:48 I wonder if Hakumen is going to do it a third time...? Dash under him and 6A that fool! Haku's jC doesn't have a very good air to ground hitbox. If he were doing j2C or jB... then it would probably not be wise, because ~Hakumen~. 6A goes into super jump jC jD and thus usual stuff.

17:00 I'm feeling very sad for you right now, because the combo Challenge Mode seems to present as easier than drive stuff is really finnicky and worse. jB jC jB djSTUFF is both hard for no reason if you want all the hits, and leads into Revolver Blast ender which is a Bad Ender. Again, 214A 5B/2B 5C sjc jC jD [insert stuff].

SECOND VIDEO

1:50 I've said this before, but you simply can't just raw 6A people and hope they don't block. It wouldn't have helped in this case, but if you want to launch, 2B 6A gives you more time to see if they're getting hit, and so you can super jump jC jD if they're launched or 5B afterwards if they're blocking. 5B is very safe by being jump cancelable and having multiple gatling options, like 2C which is the ultimate safe ender for a string. On certain characters you can autopilot 2B 6A 5B and the 5B will hit even if the opponent got launched.

3:00~3:10 what are you doing stop doing that :p

3:52 Chamber Shot is good in these poking hitconfirm situations. It won't hit from maximum 5C distance, but it's the only legitimate meterless combo ender you have on standing opponents.

3:55 This guy is holding downback and pressing D after blocking your 2D, AKA Drive Presure Initiation Move Extraordinaire. Show him the d.6B. It's really, incredibly good in BBCP. And Hakumen has no frame 1 counter that catches overheads, so it's especially good in this version. That is, if he even has the time to counter in d.6B's amazingly short startup??

THIRD VIDEO

0:40 Why are you backing away? You got a knockdown in the corner, and you are a character who thrives on pressure. Meanwhile, Hakumen is a character that gets paid by existing. He wants to chill out. Don't let him chill out. You mostly shouldn't back off that easily unless you're playing against Tager and want to run the clock out or something, and then again by the nature of Noel's character you pretty much should give a shot at offense anyway. In a smart way which is adapted to the matchup, of course.

2:49 CHARGING ARMAGUS! The overdrive confirm is 5B 5C OD 5C 5D d.623D. You probably already know that and only messed up the input, but you know... just in case.

3:35 Use your meter. Blocked 3C and d.214D are both unsafe situations where an RC can actually start an offense up.

I hope you don't mind all the specific callouts, it's simply better for me to go about it this way.

No not at all man, I appreciate you taking time to look at these videos. I'm going to work on everything you've mentioned, I've got an idea of what I need to fix/work on now.

3:00~3:10 what are you doing stop doing that :p

Mashing and being a tard lol, but yes, I will stop because that was dumb. :P

14:48 Thank god your opponent was in the mood for some cookie dough and decided not to just finish you off with the airgrab damage. (dropped combos sound like an actual good place to mash Astral, banking on the opponent's frustration he will probably autopilot anyway

the rage was strong when I dropped that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lW8Se_3svCM#t=445

Pochp (Mu-12) 3 matches

"Nice bait on the counter assault" "Nice what on the what now?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fHSacGehJp8#t=983

Kirbster (Rachel) 1 match

oooh nooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fHSacGehJp8#t=2255

Chi-Rithy (Jin) 2 matches, in which I wakeup astral because I'm pretty sure he hasn't fought a Noel before...

Kirbster (Ragna) 1 match

Brice (Tager) 1 match, featuring unnecessary risks and frustration towards Tager's unbelievably long neck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fHSacGehJp8#t=4037

Brice (Tager) 1 match

Man, 2 hours ? seriously ? xD

So I didn't watched everything, I tried to pick out some interesting matches

Most of this matches looks for me like you are playing on auto pilot against not very strong opponent, so, my suggestion for you to improve is : you can try to find better opponents, or focus on your defense / hit confirms during your match without regard for the outcome

Because when I look at your matches, I feel like you worked a lot on your combos and a bit on your pressure, but your defense skill is really low, basically you are just randomly deciding during your opponent's pressure to go for 4D.

You also don't look like you know how to close the gap between you and your opponent, it's a lot of full out pressure, dash, air dash, I can almost here Noel yelling yolo. I'm very bad at this aswell so I won't give you any good advice hehe

It only works because 90% of your opponent are basically doing the same, noone as any defense in these clip

You faced a Rachel at the end of your first compilation, that just knew how to block properly, and you looked lost :p

Because most of the time you don't know what to do when your opponent is attacking you (looks like it anyway), and when you face someone that know how to defend, well, you are in a position where you don't know what to do when you are on the offensive either.

So yeah, you can either try to improve your defense by forcing yourself to focus on it, or you can being forced to do so by confronting better opponent that will force you to step up your game

Thx for the advice! Ya I have def been fighting stronger opponents lately and I would agree that my defense is the worst part about my play. When I start blocking somebody I have no idea when I can escape or poke out. I usually just 4D overheads or sometimes I get acclimated to somebodys auto pilot pressure and when they would usually OH I would just 4D. Except sometimes they catch on to that on just hit me out of 4D. So I need to just actually react to the OH more often.

I recently started jumping out of pressure instead of trying to mash out as well and it is working pretty good.

My neutral got slightly better. I don't IAD all the time anymore cuz there was this Jin who was just 2Cing me everytime so that pretty much broke that habit for me.

I'm not sure how I can really make my pressure better than it is now. I mix in lows and overheads as much as possible. I don't go for throws all that much but I do still go for them every once in a while. But I feel Noel's pressure is pretty easy to deal with once you see it a lot.

Improving Noel's pressure seems hard, I'm struggling with that aswell... I tend to do shorter pressure now and zone more... not sure if it's really a good idea

Problem #1 - You're fighting Arakune.

Problem #2 - You're FAR from maximizing damage with your combos. Take a look at some YouTube videos and see what everyone else is doing. If you want, I can spar with you sometime. Keeping in mind I play at around 1 AM Central Time, though.

*Edit

I'm at a real keyboard now. You failed to punish at 1:44. He was wide open, you had 50 Heat, he had no Burst. That match was over at 1:44, but you didn't take it. At 1:53 you could've used d.6C -> Muzzle Flitter OR Fenrir and finished him off, but you instead used Bloom Trigger. This was probably the least effective thing you could've done. Then at 2:03 you jumped into his Curse cloud for no reason and got yourself Cursed. This almost cost you the round, and it DID cost you a Burst.

You seem to do ok within a basic framework. You can move around ok, block ok, and so on, but you don't capitalize on the opponents mistakes, and you don't really know any good combos. How long have you been playing Blazblue? Are you new to Noel, or the game as a whole? I'd love to meet online and give you some pointers, if you're a night owl like me. Or perhaps on the weekend sometime. Send me a PM if you're interested.

*Edit again

Also, I've played that Arakune online several times before. I've had some hard times with that guy, so don't feel too bad. Also, I hate Arakune as a character. He's not as bad as he used to be, but it's still kinda shitty.

Edited by legacy49i

How long have you been playing Blazblue? Are you new to Noel, or the game as a whole?

i've played blazblue since CT release. I've never played noel before, this is footage from my third day with her. I've seen a few videos, I kind of get what I'm supposed to do, but I don't have the muscle memory down yet, so I just kind of...do random shit.

I'm west coast and I have a pretty fluid schedule. I'd love more matches.

I'll add you on PSN when I get home tonight. I get off of work at midnight (which would be 10PM for you) but I have to shower and stuff before I can get into any BB. I usually soak up 30 mins before I'm good. So keep an eye out for me then. I'll play every night this week so I can run into you. Do you have a headset? It'd be nice to live chat instead of type so we can get things sorted out quicker.

Also, glad to hear you've been playing since CT. You looked pretty legit in your video, minus all the Noel-specific stuff, so it should be pretty easy to get you up to speed.

I watched a little bit. From what I saw, you aren't optimizing for damage, and you aren't using combos that kill, when you clearly have the resources to end the round. I think you need to read the situation better. Such as when opponent has crouching hitstun and you can get better damage with 3C, or when you should cut combo short with Fenrir to end the match, etc. I could make specific points if you'd like.

Ok.

vs Kagura:

No Muzzle Flitter at :30. Not a huge deal. I probably wouldn't have reacted quick enough in that instance, but you'd have got a lot more damage if you had.

:54 - No punish on the whiffed DP. ANYTHING would've been better than an A poke.

The rest of that round was a little sloppy, but I'm no pro myself so I don't have much to say.

1:54 - You SHOULD'VE comboed into Muzzle Flitter. Not sure if it works on Kagura, but in the corner you can 4D - 6C - MF. And your Heat was close enough anyway that you could've 5C - 6C- BT - RC - MF if it doesn't work on Kagura. You just gave up about 3k of damage.

2:08 - Fewer A pokes. He was crouching hitstun. You can 3C combo instead of Chamber Shot and you could've got around 3k on a full combo.

2:26 - Blue Beat. Gotta have tighter links. Just got lucky there.

vs Hakumen:

3:06 - Could've added a 5C before the Chamber Shot for a little more damage

3:24 - Different Chain Revolver links could've put him in the corner for a longer combo. After the 6D: 6B - 5C - BT - slight pause - 5B - 5C - sj.C - j.D - etc, etc.

3:28 - Overdrive? Why? And you had crouching hitstun again and didn't 3C.

3:53 - Air throw combo. You dropped it. If you're about to win, better to be safe than sorry. 2B - 6C is an easier link. Also, you had Heat for an immediate Fenrir, which would've given you an unburstable win.

4:15 - This is a side tip. If your opponent has no visible health (like Hakumen here), depending on how smart your opponent is, you can just throw out a random full screen Fenrir and let the chip damage finish them off. It's definitely NOT SAFE in many instances, but if you know your opponent won't barrier block it, or if it's not possible for them to retaliate (Tager with no Spark Bolt, etc.) it's worth a shot. Take that tip with a grain of salt...

4:48 - Again, add that 5C before Chamber Shot.

4:59 - Again, crouching hitstun. And a misplaced Fenrir...

5:05 - Super jump to not get hit by Haku's DD. At full charge it's unblockable. A forward jump would've given you a CH j.D and a match changing 5k-ish combo, or forced him to waste a burst.

5:39 - Crouching hitstun...

5:45 - Dropped combo (w/Blue Beat). Just gotta work on your technique some more.

5:55 - Same as above (minus the Blue Beat).

6:02 - Wasted Burst/OD. WTF was that, anyway???

6:12 - Short combo. You had FULL METER, his Burst was locked out. You could've added Fenrir in there just about anywhere and won the match right then.

I'll look at the other matches later. I gotta get some sleep.

I only watched a couple matches, but what really stood out to me is that you really lack the ability to hitconfirm. It's pretty hard to get down, but there seemed like lots of times you were pressing buttons as if you expected the combo to work even if it was an air hit or got blocked or whatever the case may be, and a lot of times your opponent just fell out, or it bluebeated, etc. There were also a couple times where you didn't do the correct combo for a crouching confirm, stuff like that.

Also, you do a lot of random fullscreen j.Ds, not sure what that's all about.

That's the biggest thing that I noticed, but I would also work on getting some more optimal combos with oki setups, better combo consistency, find some use for your meter, know when to burst. You got this~

I only watched a couple matches, but what really stood out to me is that you really lack the ability to hitconfirm. It's pretty hard to get down, but there seemed like lots of times you were pressing buttons as if you expected the combo to work even if it was an air hit or got blocked or whatever the case may be, and a lot of times your opponent just fell out, or it bluebeated, etc. There were also a couple times where you didn't do the correct combo for a crouching confirm, stuff like that.

Also, you do a lot of random fullscreen j.Ds, not sure what that's all about.

That's the biggest thing that I noticed, but I would also work on getting some more optimal combos with oki setups, better combo consistency, find some use for your meter, know when to burst. You got this~

Those j.Ds were my failed attempts at trying to throw out thor, probably not a good idea to do anyway so I'm going to get out of that habit, cause it isn't working and I look dumb XP. Optimizing combos, hitconfirming, meter,bursting, consistency. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna have to put in a lot of work. I have quite a few bad habits I need to kill.

Hi, my friend would like to have this video critiqued, if possible -he doesn't have dustloop (He's bloody lazy). Would you guys be kind enough to critique this Video if possible?

Much appreciated if anyone can analyze this.

Hi, my friend would like to have this video critiqued, if possible -he doesn't have dustloop (He's bloody lazy). Would you guys be kind enough to critique this Video if possible?

Much appreciated if anyone can analyze this.

Watched 4 matches or so and here's what I think he should work on.

Don't get in the habit of using 4D so much. It was working against you (Mu) a lot so make sure to do 2A, 2B, 3C, and throw on him more. Especially on his wake up. This is probably the most important thing because vet players know all about the 4D spam and they will blow you up for it every time. He shouldn't be using it as a AA either but it did work a few times.

When he lands a 5A/2A don't always go for the overhead "reset". He is missing out on 2k+ dmg and a tech chase setup every time. Try the overhead reset every once in a while maybe; but it was obvious you were use to it.

Don't always go for 6B in pressure strings in general. I know that pretty much at the end of pressure it's the only normal left to cancel into usually. But don't forget about 6D. I know it's slow but people get use to abc 6B pressure from Noels, so throw in a abc 6D at least once in a while. Also you can get a lot more creative with stagger pressure. He did do it once out of the 4 matches I watched so I know he knows about it.

Don't IAD too much. At first I saw him doing it a lot but he slowed it down some. Just remember that IAD's are super free to AA's and if you spam that shit then it's going to get AA even more.

A side note that I would like to see all Noels do (including myself) is use RC pressure more. An example drive string>d.2D>RC then pick between >air dash>j.C>j.B>drive cancel mixup or >land>2B. This and the spring raid RC>j.C>drive cancel mixup are things that I've only been seeing JP Noels do and it lands them hits a lot.