LunaKage

[CP] Noel Vermillion - Q&A Thread

Non-Fatal:

j.4D > d.6B > d.5C > d.6A > d.5B > 236A > 665B > sj.C > j.D(Crosses Over) > d.6C > d.2D > d.6B > 22C~66 > 6C(2) > 66B > 22BxN

Does 3.1k, and your opponent will bounce off the wall after the 6C(2), you will need to dash in a bit to land the 6B, but it's not that tough. Keep in mind that if you use 5B > 5C, you will not cross over the opponent with the sj.C, so you wont put them back into the corner.

Fatal:

j.4D > d.6C > 214A > 665B > 5C > sj.C > j.D > d.4D > d.2D > d.6B > 236D > 6C > 6B > 22B > 2B > 6C(2) > 6B > 22BxN does 5k

Thanks! I tested these, but it brought up another problem. My dream setup was to go for an ender like "6C(2)" j2C j4D (whiff) [stuff]", where [stuff] is usually "d.6D", "d.6B", "Assault Through RC" or "d.5A (whiff) Spring Raid RC". As you can see this is supposed to have answers to varying degrees of respect from the opponent. I wanted to whiff j4D because it doesn't do much and go into the mixup itself ASAP... but even if I hit with d.6B I am now not pushing the opponent far enough because of the whiff on the j4D. It does work on characters that have easy 236A --> 665B link timings (ex: Tager), but not on characters with tight links (ex: Rachel).

I guess I can't have everything all the time. It WAS a rather gimmicky setup idea to begin with...

Note to self: Do "6C(2), jump cancel, OD activate, swear audibly to lure opponent into thinking this was a mistake, j4D into gimmicks". Doing it with OD has the advantage of both SR and AT getting meterless followups.

I have question about 3C, 22C, 665C or 665B. I just cannot do it, is there a trick to this?

Even inside a small combo, where there is only a short running distance (like 5A/2A > 5B/2B > 6A > sj.C > j.D > d.6B > d.5C > d.6B > 22C~66 > 6C > 6B > 22B). My character would just run into the enemy floating body and stop. I pretty sure I canceled the 22C into 66. Do I have to release the 66 quickly into 6C (666C)? Cancel the built int 22C-66 with another dash? I tried everything :(

I think it's more of a combo pacing thingy, after the 66~ you can't input the 6C/5C/w/e in advance, you have to input it at the right time *after* the dash (more of a 666C thingy, like you say). It's a bit tricky to find out at the beginning but once you get the gist of it it'll be no problem

Is there a way to cancel the reload animation off of her Chain Revolver, or if not, any easy ways to make yourself much safer after a blocked CR. Or, is over -13 on block not that much a problem? :gonk:

Use 50 Meter to rapid cancel, barring that, our SAFEST option on block now is Assault Through, since it's -4, and our only other options are at least -13. Though to be fair both Chamber Shot and Bloom Trigger have massive pushback, so you wont be getting punished a whole lot, though it WILL happen if your opponent is on their toes and is good at IBing those particular moves. Skye, my local Arakune/Jin player, is really good at IBing Bloom Trigger, and has made me pay for it numerous times.

The biggest drawback about using Assault Through is how it's much easier to punish than Bloom Trigger or Chamber Shot, because it has a long startup phase, it's possible to jump out of it, thus making it whiff and impossible to Rapid Cancel, then punishing with a jump in.

When in drive mode, what is the difference between moves like 6C/4C and 4A/6A? Do you have to block them differently?

Also, since I'm just starting learning these kinds of games, what BnB should I start with? Right now I'm using 5A/2A > 5B/2B > 6A > sj.C > j.D > d.6B > d.5C > d.6B > 22C~66 > 6C > 6B > 22B because it seems like everything after 6a can be used from different hit confirms

on Makoto I can't hit with the j.D after the sj.C because she's moving too far away

Am I doing something wrong, or does anyone know a BnB that works on the whole cast?

Edited by Dayman

Well, considering that you're new to this, there's a lot to take in and I can't really boil everything down to a simple answer. If you want, you can PM me and we can meet online for some practice and I can give you some live advice.

Sup guys. Not really new to Blazblue, but I've never taken the time to learn Noel and I think I might pick her up as my main.

Where do I start in terms of practice with this character? Also, how do I stop whiffing Optic Barrel? Lol. (I think that's what it's called, anyway)

Hello, and welcome to the Vanguard.

First off I'll address Optic Barrel: You just need to find your sweet spots. Noel has two Optic Barrel's: 236A which hits about 3-4 character lengths away from her, and 236B, which hits a full screen opponent. The best way to tag an opponent with 236B is after hitting them with a burst, finishing a midscreen combo with 236C, or ending a combo in 236D. This works well as a meaty, and can actually win you a match if your opponent get's too frisky.

236A however is actually really only used as combo filler, I've never really used it for neutral much myself, but it can be useful if you're spamming 236B full screen, and you're opponent decides to run in, expecting another 236B, but get's tagged by 236A. This isn't exactly a high level thing to do though lol, but used sparingly can work.

As far as things to practice, I'd say learn your drive shit, it's 99.9% of Noel's game in this version, and while plenty of people would say the same thing about her past versions out of spite, this time it's actually true.

here's some combos off of standard stuff to get you started:

(Midscreen) 5A/2A > 5B/2B > 5C/2C > 236C

(Midscreen) 4D > d.2D > d.6B > d.5C > d.5B(Delay depending on character) > 236A > 665B > sj.C > j.D > d.6B > d.5C > d.6B > 22C~66 > 6C > 6B > 6D > 236D

(Midscreen) B+C > 214A > 5B/2B > 5C > sj.C > j.D > d.6B > d.5C > d.6B > 236D

(Midscreen) 6B > 5D > d.5C > d.6C > d.6A > d.5B > 665B > sj.C > j.D > d.6B > d.5C > d.6B > 236D

(Corner) 4D > 214D > 2B/2C > 5C > sj.C > j.D > d.4D > d.2D > d.6B > 236D > 6C(2) > 6B > 22BxN

(Corner) B+C > 2B/2C > 5C > sj.C > j.D > d.5D > d.6B > 236D > 6C(2) > 6B > 22BxN

(Corner) 6B > 5D > d.5C > d.6C > d.5C > d.6D > 236D > 5B > 5C > sj.C > j.D > (d.5C) > d.6A > d.5C > (d.5A) > 22BxN

Hello, and welcome to the Vanguard.

First off I'll address Optic Barrel: You just need to find your sweet spots. Noel has two Optic Barrel's: 236A which hits about 3-4 character lengths away from her, and 236B, which hits a full screen opponent. The best way to tag an opponent with 236B is after hitting them with a burst, finishing a midscreen combo with 236C, or ending a combo in 236D. This works well as a meaty, and can actually win you a match if your opponent get's too frisky.

236A however is actually really only used as combo filler, I've never really used it for neutral much myself, but it can be useful if you're spamming 236B full screen, and you're opponent decides to run in, expecting another 236B, but get's tagged by 236A. This isn't exactly a high level thing to do though lol, but used sparingly can work.

As far as things to practice, I'd say learn your drive shit, it's 99.9% of Noel's game in this version, and while plenty of people would say the same thing about her past versions out of spite, this time it's actually true.

here's some combos off of standard stuff to get you started:

(Midscreen) 5A/2A > 5B/2B > 5C/2C > 236C

(Midscreen) 4D > d.2D > d.6B > d.5C > d.5B(Delay depending on character) > 236A > 665B > sj.C > j.D > d.6B > d.5C > d.6B > 22C~66 > 6C > 6B > 6D > 236D

(Midscreen) B+C > 214A > 5B/2B > 5C > sj.C > j.D > d.6B > d.5C > d.6B > 236D

(Midscreen) 6B > 5D > d.5C > d.6C > d.6A > d.5B > 665B > sj.C > j.D > d.6B > d.5C > d.6B > 236D

(Corner) 4D > 214D > 2B/2C > 5C > sj.C > j.D > d.4D > d.2D > d.6B > 236D > 6C(2) > 6B > 22BxN

(Corner) B+C > 2B/2C > 5C > sj.C > j.D > d.5D > d.6B > 236D > 6C(2) > 6B > 22BxN

(Corner) 6B > 5D > d.5C > d.6C > d.5C > d.6D > 236D > 5B > 5C > sj.C > j.D > (d.5C) > d.6A > d.5C > (d.5A) > 22BxN

Very insightful, thanks! :yaaay: I'll have to practice these. I am getting blown the hell up online. She doesn't seem to have very good air normals, so I just get destroyed not knowing what to do.

How exactly do you dash cancel in any combo involving 22C?

Dash cancel as soon as you can, the timing is stricter than EX because they don't get bounced as high (and I heard that the dash cancel has a bit more recovery?).

I wouldn't say dash cancel "as soon as you can". I would say dash cancel "at the same time". You have to do the 66 while she's still in her Silencer animation. I do 22C66 with no delay at all in between.

I wouldn't say dash cancel "as soon as you can". I would say dash cancel "at the same time". You have to do the 66 while she's still in her Silencer animation. I do 22C66 with no delay at all in between.

Yea that's pretty much what you have to do, it was kind of weird to get adjusted to and I still screw up sometimes.

Okay, thanks for the tips everyone.

My next question, what are some good habits and tricks to use when pressuring with Noel? Like, what exactly are your main strategies and block strings look like?

I notice that its hard for her to mix up normally, and Chain Revolver provides to many options to not have a game plan.

Best advice: stay unpredictable. Once you get the hang of things you'll start to develop habits. If you play against the same person often enough, they'll figure you out. So, don't always do the same things. You should learn several strategies for mix-ups and choose between them to keep your playstyle fresh.

Here's one example: A lot of people become conditioned to 6B following a 5C. If you see this happening, a 5C - Muzzle Flitter will teach your opponent to never assume and will make 5C - 6B a viable option again. Of course if you're seeing a DP reversal, then stop short and block after the 5C for the same effect.

or you can get poked out of both.

there is a huge list of things you can do after 5C. like going into drive for mixup, throw whiff for less recovery on 5C, 3C to catch mashers etc.

Playing, I tend to usually either give the opponent enough rope to hang themselves so I can punish with a counter hit 5B or 4D, or I try to pressure them with careful use of Noel's drive until I and stay on them with Noel's speed until I can punish them with either 5B or 4D.

Either way, I think Noel benefits more from Baiting and Punishing then straight out pressure from her drive, because she can get stronger combos from punishes then achieving a correctly guessed mix up with her Drive.

Sound about right?

Noel gets about the same average damage from everything. unless it has 214A in the combo, then its much higher.

or you can get poked out of both.

Not the point of my post....

Yes, there's like a million things an opponent can do in that gap, but the point was to do different, unpredictable things at that point to force your opponent to play it safe, rather than assume you'll always go for the overhead or whatever they've grown accustomed to. And that string was just an example. That philosophy could be applied anywhere in your game plan.

Either way, I think Noel benefits more from Baiting and Punishing then straight out pressure from her drive, because she can get stronger combos from punishes then achieving a correctly guessed mix up with her Drive.

Sound about right?

Depends. If you're in the corner, Drive pressure -> Bloom Trigger will give you that wall stick for a full corner combo. Midscreen, a correctly guessed drive mix-up probably won't get you very far, but don't ever discount anything. If your opponent is low on health and you have full meter, a rapid cancel to a short combo with Fenrir ender could get you the match.

Also, if you land Noel's Drive 6B in pressure, you can do as LunaKage said and use Bloom Trigger 1st hit -> Muzzle Flitter, because Muzzle Flitter is (iirc) an unprorated 1400 damage, which is a HUGE buff for Noel. It's seems to ALWAYS be worth the Heat to get that Muzzle Flitter in.

Not the point of my post....

My apologies if I sounded bitter, I've had a rough couple of days lol

I was only meaning to list the particular danger that you had to face while using those two options is all :3