Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LunaKage

[CP] Noel Vs. Bullet Matchup Discussion

Discussion About the Bullet matchup goes here. First post may be edited as important information arises.

Having trouble dealing with Bullet. Not sure what she is doing but it seems like if she ever locks on its a free get in for pressure. Also not sure when her pressure ends. Any tips on this one?

When she has no charge level, her lock on is unsafe, also, if she locks on from high up in the air, you usually get to poke out of that as well.

I'm going to share my matchup notes for this one. I've loosely organized my strategies based on the Jin boards matchup template. If anything seems incorrect feel free to inform me.

General Strategy

My general strategy for this matchup is to take advantage of Bullets poor defensive options and kill her before she gets the chance to gain a Heat up level. Bullet doesn't have a lot of options when dealing with Noel's pressure or oki, so as long as they don't have a heat up level you want to play offensively, while trying to force them into the corner. If Bullet does manage to gain a heat up level then your best option is to switch to defense until they squander all of their heat up levels.

Neutral

This is a very momentum based matchup, so your success depends on how well you can play neutral with Bullet. At close range Bullet retains a slight advantage because of the range of her normals and the fact that Bullet's best ground pokes low profile Noel's (Her 2B vs our 5B). If Bullet is trying to approach from the air she will normally use her j.C. Noel can respond by anti-airing her with 6A or challenging her in the air with a well spaced j.A or j.C. If Bullet is trying to approach from the ground she will normally use 2B or 5B. Noel can respond by using her 5C or occasionally her 5B. Approaching Bullet from the air is very risky considering how good her anti-air is, so try this sparingly and don't forget that we can bait out her anti-air with a well timed j.D.

Neither characters are particularly strong at Full Screen. However, at this range Bullet can use Afterburner relatively safely. Noel can tag Bullet with a few optic barrels but overall Bullet could gain a much larger advantage at this range than Noel can.

Offense and Defense

As stated before Bullet has very little options against our offense. Her only reversals are Cutting Sheer and Serpentine Assault which are both very short range moves. This means our 22B corner oki is incredibly strong against Bullet. If Bullet a heat up level she can try to jump out of our pressure and use j.D which will hit you if you try to reset pressure so as always be wary of playing offense while Bullet has a heat up level.

While Bullet's pressure may seem overwhelming there are a couple of points where we can interrupt it. Bullets will typically try to reset pressure with 5C since it's 0 on block. Our 5a will beat any of her follow ups that aren't 2C 3C or a drive move. Furthermore a well timed 4D will beat Bullet's 5C even if she gattlings into it. If Bullet does decide to end her blockstring 2C you can use 5A or 2A to beat any of her followups that aren't a drive move. Lastly if Bullet doesn't have a heat up level and tries to end her blockstrings use 5A, 2A, or if you are quick enough 5B to beat any of her attempts to reset pressure. Occasionally Bullet's may try to use the blockstring 6C>JC>j.C to catch any attempts to mash out of her pressure. If you block Bullet's 6C we can use Noel's 6A to beat out Bullet's j.C. However Bullet can use her j.D to beat our 6A so it is risky.

Gimmicks and Misc Info

Gimmicks

Afterburner has projectile guard point, so trying to interrupt it with Optic Barrel or 5C may not work depending on the timing. In this matchup Bullet's will typically use if they are at full screen or after a Burst or CA.

Cutting Sheer is her main reversal. It looks like a grab but it can be blocked and it has very short range. Bullet will typically use this in the middle of our mixup if it's too predictable or our oki. It has 16 frames of invincibility starting at frame 1.

After Bullet does a combo ending in J.D you always want to neutral tech immediately. Failing to do so will result in Bullet picking you up off the ground with her 2A and comboing into another j.D

Serpentine Assault is Bullet's command grab. It also has very short range and like all command grabs it loses to jumps. Bullet will use this after an unsafe move or after an empty jump in, to try to catch use off guard. Sometimes Bullets may also try to use this as a reversal.

Misc Info

In a blockstring Bullet can only use her 6A overhead after she does 5A, 2A, or 5B.

In a blockstring Bullet can only use her 5C after 5A, 2A, 5B,2B, and 6A.

Bullets Overdrive allows her to gain one heat up level. During the time she is in overdrive, she will not be able to lose heat up levels.

Frame Advantage, Disadvantage, and Punishes

Frame Advantage

Bullet's 2A and 5A are +1 and 0 on block. Her 5C is also 0 on block and it's her main way of resetting pressure. Noel's 5A will beat all of her follow ups that aren't 2C, 3C or a drive move and 4D can clean if she gattlings into it. It should be noted that all of her drives are plus on block if she is in heat up level 1 or 2.

Frame Disadvantage

Bullets 2C is -5 on block and it can only be cancelled into her drive moves. If she tries to reset her pressure after a blocked 2C you poke out of it with a quick 5A or 2A

Punishes

5C>JC>j.C: After blocking Bullet's 5C you can use your 6A to hit them out of j.C. Bullet can use j.D to punish 6A if they anticipate it.

Afterburner: If they try to use this move carelessly you can punish it by running up to them and doing a 6C<214A combo. Be careful about trying to punish it full screen because if they may recover before you are able to punish them.

Cutting Sheer: If Bullet tries to use this move, you can punish it with either 4D or j.D. 4D will work on this as long as you aren't too close to Bullet when you use it (which is fairly rare).

6A: If Bullet tries to mix you up with her 6A you can your 4D to beat it. Be careful when using this option because if she decides to mix you up with a low it'll beat your 4D and she'll gain a full combo.

Crush Trigger: Use Noel's 4D to punish this. If you don't react fast enough and just decide to barrier block it remember that like all Crush Triggers it is + on block (+4 to be precise) so don't try press any buttons she does it.

Serpentine Assault: If they try to use this in the middle of block string then jumping will cause it to whiff. If they try to use this move in the middle of a drive blockstring than d.2D will also cause it to whiff. If this move whiffs you can punish it with 5C >214A.

5C: 4D will beat this clean.

All in all I think this matchup is still slightly in Bullet's favor simply because it's very hard for us to stop her from gaining heat up levels and once Bullet gains control of the match it's very difficult for Noel to stop her. It's a bit of an uphill battle but it's far from unwinnable.

I personally still believe it's in Noel's favor slightly, but I have minimal Bullet experience, so I'm not entirely sure of myself on that one.

hi i used to play this character

After Bullet does a combo ending in J.D you always want to neutral tech immediately. Failing to do so will result in Bullet picking you up off the ground with her 2A and comboing into another j.D

if you NO SCARE you can just hand her the second heat level and then air tech on the second pickup. This will piss bullet off because you get away and can run away until she runs out of heat. If you think you can deal with her heat until she wastes it or it goes away, this is a pretty good option.

Honestly bullet wants you to neutral tech immediately so she can do her safejump. Which is what her entire game revolves around. She safejumps jC and then does a blockstring, a tick throw, or forward dash 720. Or she can fuzz guard instead of safejumping and put you back in the jD knockdown.

also, if she locks on from high up in the air, you usually get to poke out of that as well.

Redring lockon jD is fully invulnerable. Just a note. Higher levels of heat will make it redring faster so this is actually pretty safe and I suggest NOT trying to poke her out if she's at level 2 or whatever. You can always try to 4D it, I'm pretty sure that will work well.

Or you can just 4D all of her lockon approaches, it's not like she can do anything after they start.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you should just 4D through all her lockons.

edit: you can't 4D through bullet jD/5D

my advice for the matchup:

block her stuff

Bullet oki:

her fuzzy guard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm6tCfP4-8U

she can do this(or the jC safejump) from pretty much any knockdown. That means any D combo ender or if she manages to DP you.

6A meaty is pretty easy to deal with, you block it properly. Then you block the 5C because it's an overhead that gatlings.

236[A] meaty you can maybe 4D out of. probably depends on spacing. it's + on block and will launch if you get hit by it.

crossup jD is annoying shit. I don't think noel 5A is high enough to mash out, so just try to block properly. DON'T PRESS THE BUTTONS. This actually doesn't do damage without RC so whatever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvBhh0KWWEc This is how much damage it does!

as I mentioned before she can buffer 720 during forward dash. So watch out for her doing jC dash or whatever.

Oh, if she does the anti-air grab and then does afterburner, noel might be able to punish with air super. Maybe. I'd have to check the angle.

Since I play both Noel and Bullet, and I can provide some unique insight.

For starters, be very wary of her J.C Normal. It's a little slow to start, but is still one of the better jumping normals in the game. It has a large hitbox, hits overhead, and has a LOT of untechable time on counter hit. Don't in any way underestimate this jump in!

Also, after a J.D Knockdown midscreen, Bullet players can pull off a nasty cross up by air dashing over you as your waking up, then hitting you once more with he drive. So if they jump over be, be prepared to block the opposite direction!

Her mix ups are no where as scary as someone like Rachel or Izayoi, but she still has some tricks up her sleeve. 6.A is a very slow, but very subtle overhead, so watch out for it. It also makes a great combo starter. Her Drive has the capability of creating situational 50/50 mix ups by inputting 6D (Which is an over head) or 2D (Which Hits low) The starting animation for both also look similar. There's also the cross up mentioned before.

Honestly, this match up favors who ever can land the first hit and start mounting their offense because of Noel's and Bullet's below average defensive options and their offensive potential.

This can either turn into mere target practice where Bullet is Noel's target... OR Bullet can make Noel her little bitch.

To put it in perspective, I went up against a Bullet Player who scored a perfect victory and just barely won a round in one match, I faced the same player a second time, and I scored a perfect victory and steamrolled the rest of the match.

I don't think 4D will beat her lock-on. I've tried. Might be an issue of timing, but I've not done it. Better to just play it safe and block. That's what I do.

I'm pretty sure Lock On is projectile Invulnerable (I might need to double check that) so 4D might not be able to beat it. Your better off just blocking it, and waiting for a better chance to 4D during her mix up.

jD and 5D are projectile invuln and become fully invuln on redring.

6D and 2D are foot invulnerable.

you don't want to hit her with 4D, you want to 4D through the drive hit and then hit her with the next move.

edit: I'm an idiot ignore this

also a random note: the 6D/2D high/low mixup is really bad and you can just backdash/jump/5A/etc to get out because of how slow it is. You don't even need to guess which one, you just need to recognize that she's did EITHER ONE and perform ANY ACTION(aside from a low) and you win.

Well this is officially the character I lose the most to. I react to her OH everytime and it hits everytime (thanks netplay). I feel like Neutral is def in her favor. I have the timing down to punish afterburner with OB but ofc that doesn't do anything. The best thing I can do at neutral is to start OBing and jumping around. Bait a AB then IAD j.C punish for it. I also tried running away from her at neutral when she's burning up and it lasts way too long before you get cornered with a huge ring covering all the movable screen space infront of you. I think I have literally 0% success rate in mashing out of her pressure at any point and yes I know not to after Drives when she has heat. Her J.D beats everything (once she's burning up) and she can basically just keep jumping at you doing it until your in range, then gets to start pressure. Honestly I think just blocking her pressure is the answer. But netplay will never let me block her slow ass OH. I can block Jin's overhead easier some how. Think I might just learn Bullet to see what other people do about it lol.

Does anybody have any videos of them fighting this char? I beat 2 of them on stream in a row at FR but I have no idea how I managed that now lol. Maybe she's just an amazing netplay character.

Bullets 5C is safe against 4D unless she starts mashing out another move. So if you do 4D at the right time you get to do drive pressure I guess.

Basically you want to rush her down so she can't heat up. But at the same time all of her normals are better besides her AA. Not that that's anything new to Noel. So you need to play better footsies than she does but you also can't mixup that well because 6B into anything gets cutter'd. Something I also noticed while playing as Bullet against CPUs offline is it seems like lock on takes way longer (even at level 2) than it does online and I get hit out of it quite a bit. Could just be me being bad at Bullet though. Actually I just realized that she's only projectile invuln while locking and not fully invuln and of course I've been using j.C to try and get her to stop >.> so that helps to know.

So correct me if im wrong, in summary her pressure is basically 2A into more 2A's (frame trap). 2A, 5A, 5B into a 6A or 2B mixup. If mixup blocked then 5C for +0 which is then a frame trap because 5D or 2C could come out or she could dash and maybe get mashed out. If you block 5D with when she has no heat you get a 5B/2B punish if your really quick. Otherwise you get to block another set of this pressure again.

Offline I'm sure it's not really that hard to just sit there and block all her pressure. At the same time if a Bullet caught on to you being able to 4D OHs on reaction she's not really at a disadvantage since she has frame advantage/neutral pressure and her 2A is the same speed as ours.

Dunno just not really seeing how this could be in Noel's favor lol.

Going to keep looking for stuff though and now that I know how to play Bullet as well I'll see what other people do about her pressure. I feel like backdashing out at some points might be a thing but I'll have to experiment more.

Welp nvm back dash has just as many problems as anything else. The best thing I've found so far is to try and IB her 5C then 2A. This beats everything but 5D and if she does 5C>2C then you will just keep blocking.

Backdashing her 5C attempt is pretty much a free escape btw. I finally beat a good Bullet after doing that + not using j.C on her drive like an idiot.