LunaKage

[CP] Noel Vermillion - Gameplay Discussion

I dunno, I don't use drives in neutral unless it's rare 4D/2D/6D to avoid certain attacks. She's got pretty decent normals in 5B and j.C and you can confirm them into combos in a lot of situations.

There's more that will combo into 5D, although they require you to either already be mid-combo, a Counter Hit, or Overdrive.  If you got a Counter Hit, going to 5D isn't your best bet.  All that being said:  6B, like Sashi said.

Also, NONE of her Drive starters will combo from a normal, outside of the previously mentioned criteria.

Actually, I take some of that back.  I believe it's possible to 6A - 6C - 5D, but that's FAR from optimal.  Oh yeah, and 2D works after the 2nd hit of 6C.  Actually, now that I think about it, there's more situational Drive links than I thought.  I'm sure you can also do 6A - 6C - 4D in the corner.  But the one thing all these have in common is that they require a float hit.  You'll only get a Drive starter to link on the ground with 6B, CH, or OD.

Is there some kind of rule to Noel's Silencer attack? I'm doing a raw 3C into 22C and dash 5B/5C don't pick up or not as often (probably the opponent hit box is an issue) though watching other Noel players in action their 22C bounces the opponent a lot higher. What is the trick behind this?

3C > 22C will always bounce lower than a juggled d.6B > 22C

Off of a raw 3C > 22C, you just need to practice your timing. the 5B follow-up is universal, and your opponent's hitbox doesn't affect the strictness of the timing. The timing is just naturally strict.

I wouldn't really call that oki as much as I would a gimmick.

When using that setup, if your opponent is gonna roll at all it's gonna be a forward roll, since you just put yourself in the corner. So just beat that with a run forward 2B.

I wouldn't really call that oki as much as I would a gimmick.

When using that setup, if your opponent is gonna roll at all it's gonna be a forward roll, since you just put yourself in the corner. So just beat that with a run forward 2B.

Thanks Luna.

Yh run up and 2B sounds good if they roll out. 

What about 6D?

6D wont work in that situation no.

the benefit of dash 2B in this setup is that if they don't roll, but neutral tech instead, you get a crossunder putting them back into the corner.

Yeah, this is pretty bad, because it's more likely to not work than work.  Why would anybody do a backwards roll in the corner? 

Why would people do forward roll in the corner?

Hey all. I'm a fresh BB transplant trying to learn Noel having never played a single BB or arksys title before. I wouldn't consider myself to be experienced in a broad variety of fighting games, although I did play a significant amount of 3S:OE and got proficient at that title (Akuma main). Back when I was still playing regularly I was top 20 ranked Akuma's on PSN (not that that means much in the grand scheme), so at the very least I wasn't terrible.

Some of the biggest issues I've experienced transitioning to bbcp are due to the sheer magnitude of things to learn. I've always taken a very "work-out" like routine to learning fighters, spending a good chunk of my first month in training mode grinding out the muscle memory for essential bnb type stuff. In 3S it was easy to figure out what I needed to know. Be able to input all specials consistently (623.p/k, 236.p/k, 63214.p etc.), then move onto primary bnb stuff (cr.mk > qcb.lk > dp.hp) and then from there into more advanced situational type stuff.

I've read this thread top to bottom, and have followed the combo thread for Noel as well, and while I can execute some of the combos, I just am not certain what I should be focusing on (what's actually useful/cornerstone to her offense and what is more situational).

So then my question is, what are Noel's absolute necessity BNB's? I feel like this game seems to play very modularly in terms of its combo system, in the sense that you learn "chunks" of combos (5/2A > 5/2B > 2C > 5C for ex.) and then can make situational decisions about which "chunk" to play out next. Maybe that's completely incorrect? IDK. If someone could perhaps point me towards a few essential combos to learn I can grind those out and at least have a few punish tools and whatnot to work with while I build my experience with how to pilot Noel properly.

Secondly, I know it's been touched on a bit but I have a hard time figuring out what I should be using my normals for. I feel like given the higher pacing of this game, I'm approaching footsies entirely backwards. I find myself falling into old 3S habits when I play matches which obviously doesn't pan out so well. For the most part I've been utilizing 5/2A as my best interrupt/poke options close range, leading me into some simple chamber shot combos and whatnot, occassionally a raw 3C > 22C > 66 > 6C/5B if I'm playing close attention. However it's really easy to get stuck blocking for 2348823239847 years against stronger players, I'm not sure what my best tools are to get out of those situations and often just resort to 5A/2A mashing hoping to time and properly catch an opening in a blockstring.

Anyways any and all input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help, I'm dedicated to learning a passable Noel over the course of this summer before I explore other characters :)

For Sadeyo

Is there some kind of rule to Noel's Silencer attack? I'm doing a raw 3C into 22C and dash 5B/5C don't pick up or not as often (probably the opponent hit box is an issue) though watching other Noel players in action their 22C bounces the opponent a lot higher. What is the trick behind this?

In regards to the raw 3C > 22C > 66 > 5B, I found that you need to delay the 5B input. Initially I was inputting the 5B immediately, after dashing (as I would in 3S), and it wouldn't come out. Instead if you wait a slight moment until you approach the tail end of your dash, double tap and hold 5B it comes out much more reliably (for me at least). Hope that helps!

Your notion of "combo chunks" is entirely correct. Unfortunately, I'm typing this on a cell phone, so I can't add a lot of info, but your brain is definitely in the right place. If you ever want to meet online, I can give you some pointers.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

I'm struggling with safe combo starters recently. Most other characters have a bunch of invincible frames to work with to help them with their initiation into combos, but the best thing Noel seems to have is her 4D, and opponents can only get hit by that so many times before they learn. (I miss my old 5D)

Because if this I've been falling into the bad habit of jumping and trying to use j.D only to be met in the air and promptly shot down. (Namely by Haku-men players)

Any relatively safe ways to get into combos with Noel now?

EDIT: I got a answer in a different thread, but I think I could still use as much help as I can get that this point. Thanks Legacy. 

Sounds good legacy, I'd definitely be game for that. Could certainly use some mentorship. My PSN is SkyL1N3eh, Im usually online in the evenings and weekends CST

mmmmm ive been itching for some japanese BBCP Noel play, but I don't know who to watch. Any suggestions?

mmmmm ive been itching for some japanese BBCP Noel play, but I don't know who to watch. Any suggestions?

Shino, tetsu yarou, kouya, watagashi(?), and Dango for 1.0. Haven't seen many at all for 1.1 but I think Kouya and Watagashi were on stream at some point in 1.1. Almost all the other high ranked players (not just Noels) switched to Kokonoe or someone else after the patch.