Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeth07

[CP] Azrael vs. Amane Match-up Discussion

Discussion about the Amane match-up goes here.

First post may be edited as important information arises. If any information seems wrong please feel free to correct it, hopefully with actual proof / examples. Anyone is free to post info as long as it is constructive and helps with the discussion of the match-up.

• One of the major points of Amane is that he can do insane chip damage or barrier draining.
  • A lot of Amane's attacks have good range, in addition to his mobility options the fight comes down to chasing Amane down while trying to get in to avoid his ranged attacks and chip damage.
  • Amane does not have a meterless reversal, be aggressive after knockdowns.
  • Azrael can use Growler Field (214B) to absorb Amane's drill oki if they go for it and gain multiple Phalanx Cannons (236B).
  • Use any Phalanx Cannons (236B) wisely. Don't use it immediately after getting it because it is obvious, like Tager players itching to use Spark Bolt. Since Amane has a lot of long range attacks you can use it to catch him off guard or even punish them on reaction (presumably) and combo into Black Hawk Stinger.

About the OP notes, his chip moves are 5D and j.D mainly, while is is true that they technically do less if you take the hit as opposed to blocking if he has lvl3, you have to keep in mind they are normals and are cancellable on hit and can go into a full combo for 5k+ if he has lvl3 so i wont advise getting purposely hit. It can be worth it if your barrier is about to run out to save it but it depends on the Amane coz if they can react faster enough and see that they 5D/j.D hit they can covert to a lot of damage.

They arent cancellable on block though (which is why you see Amane usually do 5D (blocked) RC 5D again) so unless they RC you have some breathing room to backdash/jump/do whatever. Another option is to use Growler and absorb it and technically avoid both the hit and chip damage but if they bait that you're eating a hefty combo.

Amane's 2A/5A have no reach so you use 5BB,5C,3C and other stuff and frametraps quite often as he cant try to "poke out" of your pressure.

He also has no overheads aside from j.A (which sucks) so you can block low with no worries.

Amane will usually throw out a 5C if he thinks you'll try to jump/IAD in and that whiffs on crouchers so you can gustaf/dash in if you bait that out. Once he notices you're crouching they'll start using 2C more and you can IAD that for a full combo, he can 5D in that range as well but you can use growler to absorb that and in that range you have more options and you're too close for his C normals to hit you.

so yeah its a lot of reads and baiting but its kinda tough to get in depending on the Amane's style.

Notable Matches:

Tahichi (AZ) vs. Hina (AM) FT10

Amane vs. Dogura (AZ)

Any tips on approaching Amane? Both the Amanes I fought were smart enough to avoid using drill when we had some distance, so I was left without any Phalanxes. I just got clobbered by their C attacks while not having enough structure for a safe aerial approach.

Any tips on approaching Amane? Both the Amanes I fought were smart enough to avoid using drill when we had some distance, so I was left without any Phalanxes. I just got clobbered by their C attacks while not having enough structure for a safe aerial approach.

I haven't had a chance to play against any Amane's but in general there's almost never a "safe" approach option if you're really trying to get in. You can jump/dash/back dash around to try and feel them out and see how they react to things but eventually you have to just throw yourself out there with an attack because more than likely you won't make it in with movement alone.

Remember you can cancel his forward dash with a jump, which means you can also TK his specials like Gustaf (236A), which turns into a fairly quick approach that covers a lot of distance. So if you are at complete neutral/fullscreen if you see him whiff an attack during footsies you could try and get in with something like that. Not saying it is full proof but it's something to consider instead of going through the air.

Hopefully someone else can give more specifics in regards to what Amane can/will do and ways to avoid it to get in, or else I'll come back to this once I actually play some Amanes.

Got a local Amane player that's putting a ton of work on the character. A match can be already over once you get pushed far enough for Amane to start swatting you with his scarf and drilling your barrier away. One thing to note is that Amane's C attacks (the long range scarf attacks) only have hitboxes at the end of the scarf. It completely whiffs if you're in between the end of the scarf and Amane, so a method that has been working for me is to do a forward dash right as soon as you see Amane press the C button and then go to Gustaf to get up close (just watch out for Amane's forward drill special if he's out of blockstun). Jumping in this match up is just asking for trouble. Amane only has a distortion super for reversals, so it should be smooth sailing once you're right next to him.

Jumping in this match up is just asking for trouble.

I really agree with this. The anti-air scarf is really good, and getting hit by it will result in Amane throwing you back to nearly fullscreen. Staying on the ground and trying to get him to whiff a C move, then making your way in, doing forward dash -> Gustaf, or Phalanx if you have it is the best way I've found so far to get in on Amane.

Of the matchups I can get around here, this one and Arakune have been the most "annoying," although not necessarily the hardest.

About the OP notes, his chip moves are 5D and j.D mainly, while is is true that they technically do less if you take the hit as opposed to blocking if he has lvl3, you have to keep in mind they are normals and are cancellable on hit and can go into a full combo for 5k+ if he has lvl3 so i wont advise getting purposely hit. It can be worth it if your barrier is about to run out to save it but it depends on the Amane coz if they can react faster enough and see that they 5D/j.D hit they can covert to a lot of damage.

They arent cancellable on block though (which is why you see Amane usually do 5D (blocked) RC 5D again) so unless they RC you have some breathing room to backdash/jump/do whatever. Another option is to use Growler and absorb it and technically avoid both the hit and chip damage but if they bait that you're eating a hefty combo.

Amane's 2A/5A have no reach so you use 5BB,5C,3C and other stuff and frametraps quite often as he cant try to "poke out" of your pressure.

He also has no overheads aside from j.A (which sucks) so you can block low with no worries.

Amane will usually throw out a 5C if he thinks you'll try to jump/IAD in and that whiffs on crouchers so you can gustaf/dash in if you bait that out. Once he notices you're crouching they'll start using 2C more and you can IAD that for a full combo, he can 5D in that range as well but you can use growler to absorb that and in that range you have more options and you're too close for his C normals to hit you.

so yeah its a lot of reads and baiting but its kinda tough to get in depending on the Amane's style.