Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AtTheGates

Battle Fantasia: Combos, Strategy, Discussion

Wow so they WEREN'T trolling afterall! WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!?

At least it's the latest version Kappa.

With a few graphic updates Kappa.

I'm sooooo excited this game is getting a steam release!!! I didn't realize there were graphical differences between the Nesica and console version. I'm also starting to wonder if there's actual gameplay tweaks ArcSys made just for this version. As there's no changelist mentioned, I'll have to grind it out and find what has been changed if anything.

My greatest concern is that netcode...

I'd laugh if it had the same unplayable netcode as the console releases.

I already laughed at how the trailer didn't even have time to show what Deathbringer's Heat Up actually does.

Yeah I'm a bit concerned that DotEmu is running things... I hope this is their chance for redemption, at least for fighters...

Anyway, I've found another way to add more damage to Deathbringer's links...

From up close and while charged, you can 5A, 5A, 2B~61234D for about 922 dmg.

In the corner you have 2 options, both while charged. The combo is 5A, 5A, 2B~623C for 855 dmg. You can super cancel into 236236[A/C] for 1251 dmg. You have to time how long you hold A/C to make it connect.

For shits and giggles, I tried linking 5A, 5A with 2C, and the 2C only hit once, not twice, so you can't follow up with 623A/C. This link doesn't really do much, except maybe push the opponent closer to the corner.

----------------

I also came across some interesting thing with Watson.

If the opponent is jumping, and you hit them with j.236B, an easy bear trap setup you can do is 5C~236D. The interesting part is if you happen to hit the opponent with j.236B in the corner, you can land 2C and combo afterwards. The important part to remember is that the opponent must not be high in the air when you hit them with 2C, otherwise it will produce a blue hit. If the opponent is low enough, you can produce a red hit with 2C, and juggle with whatever (I used another j.236B trying to see if "lightning loops" were possible, lol)...

I'll keep grinding at the game until Revised Edition comes out, and post what I find...

Of course, if you guys have any questions, please post up, and I'll respond...

I asked if there were any changes made to nesica-version and here is the answer:

I do know certain fixes were in to nullify all infinites, some of them not widely known.

And apart from some other small little gameplay bugs and glitches, there ain't much drastic changes made to gameplay.

I asked if there were any changes made to nesica-version and here is the answer:

So then this might fix the infinites that Odile, Watson, and Ashley had... If that's the case, then I'm guessing Olivia's unblockable setup in Heat Up won't work either...

I kinda feel bad for Olivia losing out on one of her best ways to get damage if it's true. Other than that, she's sheer fundamentals and spamming command grab to get free dmg... I would hope her 623A/C gets buffed so that it can be a decent AA or a good combo filler...

Pro:

-Unlike +R's port, it has proper support for DirectInput controllers.

Cons:

-Game resolution only goes up to 1080p

-Game internally renders at 720p regardless of resolution choice

-"Fullscreen" is not actually fullscreen, it's a borderless window.

-Button, video and language configuration is in a separate configurator and not in the in-game options.

-Netcode is apparently the same as before.

I think +R was actually a better port than this.

What else were you expecting from DotEmu?

I think the BF port is a lost cause unless some fan modders take it upon themselves to completely overhaul it. It gets stuttering frame drops on capable hardware even OFFLINE.

This port is completely fine for me. Played for a few hours offline/online and didn't have a problem. If the fps reader is right I get a constant 60fps. And it sure feeels like it. Some are noticing stutter but I haven't experienced any. Only a little during online but I assume it was very minor lag for brief moment. 

The Online I actually think is solid but it's plagued by desync problems from my experience. Played a friend from ohio (I'm from illinois, not really too far but still) for about 20 or so games and there was noticeable delay (expected as it is delay based net code) but overall felt smooth. It desycned when we tried it the first time and on the very last match of our 20 that we were playing. Overall it felt smooth and playable enough for delay based. 

Arcade stick control registers and works fine.

Could be a resolution problem, maybe, with the stuttering. People are setting the game to 1080p when the game is locked at 720p internally. I've had mine on 720p from the start mainly because my old montior I use doesn't support 1080p (only goes up to 900p). Idk, just an idea.

I think the port is fine and worth it. Never played Online from the console version but the games I played so far felt acceptable and doable in this version. It sucks that there's no real fullscreen but I haven't had any problems with that. And the lack of resolutions, as well as true 1080p, is a negative, that doesn't matter to me cause I'm fine with it just being 720p.

I hope they took note of the desynchs to fix. PR guy posting in the community seems genuine, atleast compared to most PR ppl in other games. They don't say things like Shini does afaik. Apparently patches are coming though he does say not to be too hopeful with netcode patch. But for me it was just desynchs. 

Overall for just a straight up playable port, it works fine on my end and worth it from my experience. I just want people to play and not have everything be mostly negative about this version. Mine is so far mainly positive.

Welp, looks like I won't be playing the Steam ver since not much has changed besides the infinites being patched. I never knew the Odile loop so it doesn't hurt me much to stick to console ver.

I wonder though what the patches they are speaking of will do if they aren't related to the netcode. Maybe additional options to try to prevent stuttering.

I've been playing the Revised version a bit. I will admit that this version does need a performance patch, which from what I'm told is in the works... I doubt that there will ever be a netcode patch either, but that's another story altogether...

I managed to do some testing and in all honesty, frame data seems to be the same. Olivia got nerfed sorta. So her infamous "unblockable" setup in Heat Up is no longer a possibility. The timing in the bird attacks vary enough for anyone to either jump or Gachi out of it. In some cases, you can Gachi Drive as opposed to Gachi Match the unblockable.

Also, in previous versions, during a High Gachi Drive, Olivia could juggle after landing her 214214A/C super. The opponent had to be high enough so that the last hit of the super wouldn't connect. Now, it doesn't matter how high they are, Olivia will still get the last hit, and strike that finishing pose rather than whiffing and going back into neutral.

I'm still going to be testing whatever I can, but I've sadly been sticking to the ps3 version of the game, since Revised doesn't perform too great on my laptop...

Oh, here's a Newbie Primer for those interested: http://t.co/PnnmyMLgXx. I plan to do something that's more in depth and in video form, so stay tuned. Shout outs to NovrilTataki for the support.

Emiko Iwasaki, the director of Battle Fantasia, was interviewed by Siliconera and provided a little bit insight into the development process (why 3D and not 2D, even with a team with no 3D experience), why they have chosen a Fantasy RPG setting and the problems she had to face as a female director in Japan.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/26/origins-of-battle-fantasia-and-the-art-of-making-a-2-5d-fighting-game/

I was so looking forward to that Goblin King. 

I've got an Urs combo from 2B!!! The only caveat is that this works only from 2G, so the 6B has to be a GCH. However, this combo can be done anywhere on screen.

• 2G, 6B, 623A~236236B/D: 1288 dmg - This by far is the most damaging combo from 6B that doesn't require Heat Up, only 1 stock of meter.

I've also managed to max out the 5G combo listed in the Batfan guide by adding a link. I believe the link is 2f, but it nets an extra 100+ dmg.

• 5G, c5C~236C, f5C~236236C: 1563 dmg - This works on everyone and everywhere. Currently the max damage 1 stock combo not requiring Heat Up.

I've been working on some corner spacing setups with Urs as well, and managed to find another link from 623C. From 2G, Urs can do c5C~236C (we know this already), but can link 5D right afterwards.

What's so special about this? Well vs characters with DPs (Urs, Marco, Olivia, Coyori, Face, technically Deathbringer and Freed), he's right outside of their range, so the hitbox will completely whiff. Deathbringer wouldn't want to use his DP because it's not that strong as a wake up option without Warcry, and even then 214C is a better option due to armor properties and to get out of the corner. The same can be said for Coyori and Olivia. Freed's [2]8C can catch you from the range Urs is standing after the combo, but just block and you'll be fine.

Another good thing about this "setup" is that you're outside of the standard throw range, but most importantly command grabs (Olivia, Donvalve, Ashley). At this range, both in and out of Heat Up, Urs can still poke with the f5C~236A/C option. If the opponent jumps, you don't even have to DP. Just 2C and cancel into 236A/C, which is even more dangerous in Heat Up because of the projectile trajectory change. For the gachi happy opponents, you can still play safe and use a strong low like 2D, or get gutsy and use 3D for a Hard Knockdown, and still manage to be safe against most characters.

Your only real threats are Watson's 236236A/C super, a charged Deathbringer (as stated before), and Donvalve's 41236D or just DV activating Heat Up. Block the first two (or gachi if you're able to), and you can out throw Donvalve's 41236D if you're quick enough. Even if Donvalve is in Heat Up, you can still out throw his dashing grab special! Give it a try in the lab!!! It's really a 50/50 vs Donvalve, because if he anticipates the jump, 236236B/D WILL catch you.

Essentially, you're at the range you need to be with Urs, and the opponent is trapped in the corner. While this isn't an "unbeatable" position, you can still lockdown the opponent immediately after punishing a low attack after 2G-ing.

Ok, before I forget, I am convinced Marco got slightly nerfed in Revised Edition. Allow me to explain...

So in the older versions of BatFan, Marco's Heat Up 236B where Char-Siu flies low can normally relaunch somewhat for a short combo. I use 2C > 3D ~ 236B, 236236B as an easy example. If you're quick enough, after knocking down with 3D, 236B will relaunch, allowing for the super to connect. In Revised Edition, Char-Siu won't relaunch, which also hurts Marco in terms of damage output, but he's still rather "safe" if 2C > 3D ~ 236B is blocked.

I also figured out a few things with Deathbringer. Some of this is built around some DargonInstall findings. **Note: Deathbringer has a ton of links!!!**

Current max damage 6G combo with no meter and no charge:

6G, 5C~63214A(1), 5C~623A - 1199 dmg

Current max damage corner combo with 1 meter and charge:

5A, 2B~41236B, 623C~236236[C] - 1390 dmg

Heat Up Corner Carry (does slightly less damage than 5B > 5D loop):

6G~HU, JC, land, 63214A(2), 2C(1) > 5D ~ Final Strike - 1574 dmg

"Force Gachi" corner reset

So, basing this on my 5G, 5A, 2C finding some time back, in the corner this setup can actually become really deadly if Deathbringer has a charge and meter to burn. From the 2C, which hits twice, you can juggle with 5A or 2A. Doing either move provides a "Red Hit", which means that while the opponent is falling, his only defensive option is to gachi, or simply take the hit(s), whereas if you attack with any other normal (and some specials), you'll produce a "Blue Hit", and the opponent will be safe while landing. From 2A, Deathbringer can recover fast enough to do a charged 623C, and cancel it into 236236A/C at any point. Against most players, they're not going to anticipate a charged 623C in enough time to Gachi Match it. In the event that you face someone with quick reactions, an alternate, but less damaging option would be to use 63214[C] after 2A. With 63214[C], you can charge it, thus delaying the attack time and possibly bait a Gachi Match attempt. You'll still score a knockdown, and possibly another opportunity to charge. There's also the 2A > 6D attack set that will also force a Hard Knockdown. If you aren't in the corner and have a charge, just go for the damage and use 623C after the 2C launch.

I'm just going to throw this "tier" list up and eventually I'll expound on it at a later date... Just for better understanding, "Options" basically refers to oki options, general mixups & setups, etc... Heat Up refers to just that-- it doesn't include the use of supers...

Tell me what you guys think...

BatFan_Tier.JPG

A new patch for Revised Edition was released. Version "TK 1.01".

- Fixed a bug where certain skills are stronger than normal, when players choose a specific color variant of Watson. 
- Victory scenes can now be skipped during network play. 
- Players can now choose from a wider range of Display Resolutions, depending on their graphics board. 
- Fixed issue where higher resolutions were previously just "up-scaled" versions of lower resolutions, and now display correctly as of the indicated resolutions. 
- Shortened the countdown timer for Rank match from 10 seconds to 3 seconds. 
- Added new Motion Blur feature to the Launcher settings.

No more up-scaling, yay.

@Jinxhand That teirlist seem sounds to me. 

Bottom character when their fully locked and loaded are fucking threat. The least Option with Odil and Death bringer I may need help understanding. 

I got Steam verson so now I can double my attempts to play this game.

For Odile, she heavily relies on her limited chains, and 214A/C, which she can only jump cancel from the A version. So most of her game is the same, and if she decides to do anything else, it's extremely risky... Lastly, for having 2 supers, only her air super is really worth anything tbh.

Deathbringer, well, he has f.5C which is great, and so is 2C, but Gachi shuts down f.5C really quickly, so it ends up being used as a long range punish. Also, DB doesn't really shine until he does Warcry, which is best done on knockdown. He also doesn't build meter fast enough.

I'll expound on this and more later...