Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AtTheGates

Battle Fantasia: Combos, Strategy, Discussion

I just got this, it's pretty fun. Add another Freed player to the list. :keke: EDIT: OK, I just played this a ton tonight, an I just keep liking it more and more. Anyways, what are some good gatchi and heat combos for Freed? I figured out his BnB, but I can't figure out anything else that is worth anything.

BNB combos for Freed are... c.B C [4]6C 236236P/K 2A 2A 2A [4]6A 2C [4]6A 2B [2]8A ... Combos off Tempest near corner yada yada High Gatchi just do j.D [2]8C, [4]6C or something like that, they all suck for him. Low Gatchi do... j.C j.D |> c.C C 2C [4]6C 236236P/K Skip those first few hits if they are too hard or on short people. For heat up, mash out something like [4]6B, 2C [2]8C, [2]8C 2B [4]6A, [4]6A, 2B [4]6A, [4]6A, 2C [4]6C Millions of assorted combos like that from different setups and positions but it's pretty much all variations on that stuff. Freed is probably the only character in the game I'd consider helplessly bad though. He's just got some awful, awful matchups, weak mixups, bad specials uhg. You'll be spending about 80% of your timing just poking people with 5D, f.C, 2C, and 2A because nothing else he has is good. Edit: Helplessly bad is probably putting it kind of harshly but he is definitely the worst character in the game by a fair margin.

Freed is probably the only character in the game I'd consider helplessly bad though. He's just got some awful, awful matchups, weak mixups, bad specials uhg. You'll be spending about 80% of your timing just poking people with 5D, f.C, 2C, and 2A because nothing else he has is good.

Edit: Helplessly bad is probably putting it kind of harshly but he is definitely the worst character in the game by a fair margin.

Why does this always happen? The funnest/coolest characters are always low-tier. Although, I have noticed his mixups are rather weak. Good thing xshadow flashx has convinced me to sub Ashley. :kitty:

Thanks for those combos, by the way!

EDIT: I've noticed some pretty significant differences between the home and arcade versions of the game (you can toggle between the two in the Options menu). Is there a formal list of these?

Not that I know of. I asked Aksys when they were localizing the game if they could give one but they didn't. The big things are that you have command throw invuln on wakeup and the infinites were removed from the game (depends on what system you have it for though). For Freed, the problem is really that all of his specials suck. [4]6K is too slow to be a particularly good overhead. You also can (and will) get thrown out of it if not Gatchi Drived. [4]6[K] is just way too slow and unsafe. [2]8P just isn't that good and is really unsafe on block. Plus it's not even as good of AA as 5D/f.C [4]6P goes over the head of most of the cast when they are ducking which basically means you can't poke with it safely at all. Very useful against those characters who can't duck it though. Best thing he has going for him are his normal pokes, 5D f.C 2C 2A, and Heat My Justice makes a good DP. His Heat Up isn't bad but the big problem there is that it's very hard to land any real hits with it. The best mixup you have with it involves throwing and you don't get any major damage from a throw. What you CAN do though is something like... knockdown, [4]6B+C+D, then mixup into a throw, then [4]6C again. It basically lets you get 2 mixup setups. One throw alone isn't really worth the meter for the heatup but being able to get another good chance at one isn't too bad. For mixing up with that, you can do something like jump then j.C |> c.B C ... or jump up, land and 2B [4]6A... Or, jump OVER then 2B [4]6A... or stay on the ground and back up and do [4]6B, or stay on the ground and do 2B [4]6A... or just hop forward and throw. You have to work really hard to get the hits because your stuff is pretty readable.

Thanks! Yeah, I use the [4]6K sparingly as oki, but it gets beaten by practically everything, so I tend to not use it. I'm really bummed about how [4]6P misses on most crouchers; if it didn't, at least Freed could keep up some good pressure. At least, from what I've seen, throws work really well in this game. That's where most of my hits have come from. Nonetheless, I'm going to stick with him. :)

Yes, throws are very good in this game and Freed has a very good hop->throw to boot. Also if it wasn't obvious, c.B C chain forces standing on hit. Because of this you can always do c.B C [4]6C on anyone. I think Freed does alright against a fair number of characters, but he also seems to have some really awful matchups, like Urs and Marco in specific have seemed really bad for me using him.

Why does this always happen? The funnest/coolest characters are always low-tier. Although, I have noticed his mixups are rather weak. Good thing xshadow flashx has convinced me to sub Ashley. :kitty:

Thanks for those combos, by the way!

EDIT: I've noticed some pretty significant differences between the home and arcade versions of the game (you can toggle between the two in the Options menu). Is there a formal list of these?

woot oh yea if any one wants to add send me a message and i make space for you on the list.

Here some really good Ashley vids(Hope they help you vs Ashley or if you want to play him.:kitty:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1njbI_-Ulg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnJ7Z1Jtdgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxwVwPHlYSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg1Ct2G-0lM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f9lju6BxoI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLvjKCfG5X8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0oXxmJrTsI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJkAKLgowM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FLaf-q2FIY(homo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzWIurS43k8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhMNcjDHHxY

Does anyone have an updated tier list by any chance? The only one I can find is from 2008 and I usually like to see how tiers stand up over time. Just something interesting to watch. I didn't know if not its cool.

The online is to the point where you just need to get together a group of people with whom you can get a good connection (i.e. < 70 ping) and organize matches with them. The random matches are to the point where you will never find anyone, and even if you do, they have a bad connection.

Nevertheless, I have a lot of good things to say about this game:

- Unlike most people, I actually enjoy the soundtrack. It doesn't have to be rock to be good.

- I really like the gachi system. It is easier to do than parries or slashbacks, in my opinion, but you can't mash it and hope to get a gachi combo.

- The characters are really cool. Freed being the coolest, of course. :kitty:

- RPG-style presentation is sweet, and damage and health values being provided on-the-spot is great.

I still try to play this on xbl if anyone's down to fight my ASHLAY. (The announcer is so boss.)

Does anyone have an updated tier list by any chance? The only one I can find is from 2008 and I usually like to see how tiers stand up over time. Just something interesting to watch. I didn't know if not its cool.

Li's tier list from earlier in the year:

S: Ashley

A: Cedric, Coyori

B: Watson, Face

C: Donvalve, Marco, Death Bringer, Odile

D: Freed, Urs

F: Olivia

I don't agree 100% with this though, I'd put it more like:

S Cedric, Ashley, Coyori

A Watson, Donvalve

B Face, Marco, Deathbringer, Odile, Urs

C Olivia

D Freed

And of course, those are for the US 360 version of the game. The Arcade version (which you have the option to use in the console releases) tiers are more like:

S+ Ashley, Donvalve

S Watson, Cedric, Coyori, Urs?

B Deathbringer, Olivia, Marco, Odile,

D Freed

F Face

I can't remember if Urs had an infinite or not so I stamped a ? next to him.

The tiers in the console version are pretty tight though so they aren't worth worrying about too much.

Well snaps, didn't realize Ashley was so ridiculously good, but it makes sense. I always thought it was like, Cedric, then everyone else.

In the arcade version, Ashley was extra broken due to the lack of command throw invincibility and having an infinite off any Gatchi Drive. Now, he's mostly just tops because of his instant overhead as well as being very solid all around. Cedric is tops mainly for huge damage off everything, plus frame advantage and parry super and the command taunt, yadda yadda. He's not that hard to parry, but because his throw is so good you still have to deal with guessing games in his favor. Against both characters it's really critical that you get a max damage punish any time they fuck up or you get a parry.

I messed around with Deathbringer today for a little bit; he's interesting. However, does anyone know any good 6G+Heat combos? The one ATG posted only seems to work near the corner.

ChickenFat used to play D-Bringer. Try PM'n him. =P Oh wait... Dan DELIVERS!!! Another point about Cedric is LOW Risk with a good reward. I was playing him sayin," Daaaaammn, I'm so safe. Look-at-me: taking absolutly no risk."

Hopefully not a repost but, US 360 version of the game for 10$: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874203002&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL121509&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL121509-_-Xbox360VideoGames-_-LE14B-_-74203002

Another point about Cedric is LOW Risk with a good reward. I was playing him sayin," Daaaaammn, I'm so safe. Look-at-me: taking absolutly no risk."

Yes, all of his stuff is safe and leads to strong damage. Beating Cedric requires you to parry very well and to keep yourself out of the corner as best as possible.

At least with Ashley, his dumb shit is incredibly punishable if you just block right.

Freed Velez

Normal Moves

5A - A quick jab, mashable, cancels into 2D.

2A - A quick jab, mashable.

j.A - A quick aerial jab, nothing noteworthy.

c.B - A quick knee, cancels into c.C, useful in combos and pressure.

f.B - A quick kick.

2B - A low-hitting kick, one of Freed's only mixup moves.

j.B - A quick aerial knee strike, can be used to cross up.

c.C - A quick smack with the claw, useful in combos and pressure.

f.C - A smack with the claw, useful for poking.

2.C - A smack with the claw, useful for poking.

j.C - An aerial swipe with the claw; useful as a jump-in; faster than j.D, but does less damage.

5D - A high kick (45 degrees), useful as an anti-air poke.

2D - A quick, low-hitting sweep kick; has fairly long recovery, however.

j.D - An aerial kick; useful as a jump-in.

Special Moves

[4]6A - A quick, dashing jab. Does not knock down, and seems to have -frames on block.

[4]6C - A quick, dashing jab. Knocks down, and is super-cancellable. Seems to have +frames on block.

[4]6B/D - A dash followed by a slow overhead smash. Button can be held to use a low-hitting sweep instead of overhead.

[2]8A - An uppercut, can be combo'd from in the corner.

[2]8C - A dashing upper with fist, followed by an uppercut with the claw. Seems to have -frames on block.

Super Moves

236236A/C - A strong dash punch that blasts the opponent away. Easily gachi'd.

236236B/D - Freed uppercuts and a thin fire column shoots up in front of him. If it hits, Freed fires a beam at the opponent that blasts them away.

Heat-Up Overview

All of Freed's specials have a "shadow" effect. In other words, when you use one of your specials, a phantom will appear and do the same move. On the A/B versions of the moves, the phantom appears quickly, whereas on the C/D versions, the phantom comes out after a brief delay. This allows Freed to pressure the opponent into a throw and pull out long, damaging combos. However, do note that all of the shadows hit mid, and can be blocked low.

Combos

5A(xn) 2D

5B c.C

(j.B/C/D,) 2A(xn) xx [4]6A

(j.B/C/D,) 2B xx [2]8A

(j.B/C/D,) 2C xx [4]6A

(j.B/C/D,) 5B c.C xx [4]6C (xx 236236A/C/B/D)

3G, dash, forward jump, j.C j.D, c.C f.C (2C) xx [4]6C (xx 236236A/C/B/D)

Few points of interest for you: There is c.B and f.B. Only c.B can cancel to c.C. j.A is good because it has a very big hitbox and it remains active all the way until you hit the ground. j.C can also crossup but the hitbox is wonky as shit. 2C [2]8C works on crouchers or on counterhit. Not that I can think of any reason that'd be useful. c.C [2]8C works any time. Again, can't think of any real reason to use this. You could do c.C [2]8A as a followup to a jump in if you knew it would hit though. You can combo off the second hit of [4]6D. Unfortunately, the first hit only combos into the second hit on CH. And the second hit isn't low. Arg. You can wiff cancel 2A and 5A into each other at any time. So you can do stuff like 2A 2A 5A 2D. Or, 2A 5A (wiff) throw. Other fun stuff. If you've got the person blocking on wakeup when you do a Heat Up, you can do [4]6C/D, Throw. It's silly but it may work every now and then. Mix it up with doing [4]6C, walk back, 2B [4]6A or [4]6B. You can also do this mid combo. Also, silly big ass multi-meter combos for Freed: (corner) HGD HU j.D |> c.C, [2]8C(2-0), c.C, [2]8C(1-1), 236236K For the first Tempest you want both of your hits to connect but neither shadow hit to connect. For the second one, you want your first hit to connect but the second to wiff, and only the second hit of the shadow to hit. (mid, easiest) LGD HU 66 j.C j.D |> c.C C [4]6A, [4]6A, 2C 236236P, c.C, [4]6C or 236236K (very mid screen) LGD HU 66 j.D|> c.C C [4]6A, [4]6A, 2B [4]6A, [4]6A, 236236P, c.C, [4]6C or 236236K Many variations on this combo will work. Spend up to 3 bars because the scaling is pretty good.

Deathbringer

For combo finish:

623P - Generally the strongest finish. May get more damage out of A or C version

depending on the combo and if you have a chargeup.

41236D - Knocks back, best for a charge up.

Chains

2A 2D

2A 6D

5B 5D

c.C 6D - Doesn't work in Heat Up.

Basics

5A, 2B 623P

5A, c.C 623P

5B 5D, 623P or 41236K

CH 2A, 2B 623P

5C(2), 623P

2C(2), 623P or 41236K

5D(Max) 623P or 41236K

(corner) 2D(Max) 5A

(corner w/charge) 2D(Max) 623P

(w/charge) ... 623C 236236[P]

Any time you can land 623C with a chargeup, you can cancel to super. Combos from

some setups if released at the correct time.

High Gatchi Drive

Note: [2D] May not hit some characters in the corner, replace it with f.C on them.

Note: All [5D] Charges are up to Level 2 (Launches them strait up)

(0 any) c.C [5D], 66 623A (1038)

(0 any w/charge) Jump, late j.D |> 623C, 41236D, 214K (1127)

(1 mid) Heat Up, 44, 5B 5D, 66, 5B 5D, 5C (1757)

(1 mid) Heat Up, 44, 5B 5D, 66, c.C [5D], f.C (1832)

(1 mid w/charge) c.C [5D], 66 c.C [5D], f.C (1919)

(1 mid w/charge) c.C [5D], 66 c.C, 66 j.A (pause) j.D |> f.D/6D (1957)

(1 corner) Heat Up, j.B j.D |> j.A j.D |> c.C [2D]

(1 corner) Heat Up, j.A (pause) j.D |> 66 c.C [5D], c.C [2D]

(1 corner w/charge) Heat Up, Late j.D |> j.C |> 623C, c.C [2D]

Low Gatchi Drive

(0 any) 66 66, 5B c.C f.C 2C 623P

(0 any w/charge) 66 66, 5B c.C f.C 2C 623C, 623A or 41236K

(1 any) Heat Up, 66 66, 5B c.C f.C 2C 2D

(1 any w/charge) Heat Up, 66 66, 5B c.C f.C 2C 623C, c.C, f.C

(1 deep corner) Heat Up, 66, c.C f.C 41236B, 2C 2D

(1 corner w/charge) Heat Up, 66, 5B c.C f.C 2C 623C, c.C [2D]