Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeth07

[CP] Azrael vs. Izayoi Match-up Discussion

Discussion about the Izayoi match-up goes here.

First post may be edited as important information arises. If any information seems wrong please feel free to correct it, hopefully with actual proof / examples. Anyone is free to post info as long as it is constructive and helps with the discussion of the match-up.

• Nobody plays this character.
  • Will post actual info later.

Notable Matches:

Kaichou (IZ) vs. Tahichi (AZ)

Shimotsuki (IZ) vs. Dogura (AZ)

Okay, well since nothing is being said so far, I think I'll just go ahead and kick it off.

I'm rather unfamiliar with Izayoi, I think I'd actually like to give her a play sometime. And the guy I was fighting was undoubtedly a noob too, but he could actually get long combos started :/ I still don't have the reigns on Azrael yet, and he's not exactly easy to win with IMO so. Meh.

Wanted to know what you guys have been experiencing so far. She's got projectiles to absorb but, I think she can rush in and punish. So I don't know if that's the right idea or not.

Izayoi seems super-free to Growler. Sonic Sabers mean free Phalanx so use Growler at your own leisure. If she uses the A version and she runs up for a followup, you can Growler again and the followup will either pass through or be beaten out completely if she's close enough. If she uses the D version and she follows up with a Morrigan/I-no dash you can continue with your Growler and most, if not all, of her followups off of the dash will either whiff or be blocked by guard point.

Justice Phorizer, despite looking like a projectile, is a physical hit so it cannot be absorbed by Growler, but you can always Sentinel, Scud, or even Astral right through it if close enough.

Izayoi's teleports, which some people will eventually resort to since you can pretty much tank her effortlessly, can be easily reacted to, even by mashing 5BB. If you hit her during her teleport recovery it's a free counter hit.

In short, I'm certain this matchup is heavily in Azrael's favor. No scare.

Hilariously enough Izayoi's hurtbox seems to overlap the opponent when she uses her crossup teleport, so that if you used Gustaf Buster she gets counterhit right out of re-appearing "behind" you.

Azraels having trouble against Izayoi, lol....

We're practically free against this MU, you have better buttons than we do. Try not to block too many Sonic Sabers, sure it's not much at first glance but blocking them gives us a stock, which we desparately need to even /attempt/ to even up to MU with Gain Art mode. Also watch out for teleport shenanigans as well and you're home free.

i dont really agree, you can air to air him very well with jA. aegis blade is a really good option, you should have no trouble anti airing him and dealing with him IADing over you and such. scariest thing is pressure, where you dont have a really solid answer most of the time. keep him honest, mash him after 2C, IB barrier what you can to make his pressure as manageable as possible. 6A becomes a big thing in 1.1, but thats next ver hah. in terms of neutral him growlering sonic sabre is not a bad thing, he gets phalnax but you generally approach from angles he has trouble dealing with, as well as him comitting to stay in place after growlering it. if he growlers again, thats a big risk and its your job to make him acknowledge it. never sabre after using both of your jump options, bait 2C's with modechange...you have options?

he strictly doesnt have better buttons, you can keep him midrange very well. just work on safely controlling space? its probably not in izayois favor but this isnt close to her hardest matchup. I dont really like perpetuating negativity, especially when it isnt warranted.

Okay, guess I'll stop being pessimistic and try to give /real/ advice haha.

What I personally like to do as Izayoi is space with 5B and 236C at midrange since Azrael seems much more scarier up close. Also, like lunaris previously said, use Growler if the Izayoi is being braindead with Sonic Sabers. As for aerial approach, Azrael has that one air normal (forgot which one) which kind of alters the way he lands which can throw off an Izayoi trying to anti air him with 623B/C, it's worked wonders against me personally. On defense, try to look out for 236C~A stance cancels, we tend to do so after 6C and 5B, at least for me, but an Izayoi worth his/her salt should mix it up and maybe throw in a mode change mid blockstring should the situation call for it like when baiting your 2C like lunaris said.

Anyway I'm not entirely sure if something like our 5B > 6C is entirely gapless and could be punishable since I've seen some Izayoi's autopilot it on block sometimes, myself included. Also the advice lunaris put above could also be posted in our Izayoi v Azrael thread lol.