Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeth07

[CP] Azrael vs. Platinum Match-up Discussion

Discussion about the Platinum match-up goes here.

First post may be edited as important information arises. If any information seems wrong please feel free to correct it, hopefully with actual proof / examples. Anyone is free to post info as long as it is constructive and helps with the discussion of the match-up.

• Will post info later.

Notable Matches:

Zekuso (AZ) vs. Platinum

Katsuo (AZ) vs. Maven (PL) *3

Senchou (AZ) vs. Furuchoko (PL)

Yumekami (PL) vs. Dogura (AZ)

If you bait her counter, you can walk up and activate it with a normal and cancel into growler to absorb the projectile, then still have time to punish with 5C fatal counter

alternately you can just activate with a normal and cancel into 214D/236D and armor through it for a counterhit

If you bait her counter, you can walk up and activate it with a normal and cancel into growler to absorb the projectile, then still have time to punish with 5C fatal counter

alternately you can just activate with a normal and cancel into 214D/236D and armor through it for a counterhit

Was this actually tested? If yes then it's pretty useful info. 214D CH easily leads into a damaging combo, upper mark, and some respect.

Yeah, it works. You have to immediately cancel into hornet/valiant if you want it to work though, impossible to react to and still have time to get to active armor frames. So, risky.

Have more time to see if they might've DP'd and then absorb with Growler, but still would be very, very difficult to confirm on reaction. If you cancel immediately into Growler, you recover in time to CH her. If you try to absorb on reaction, she might recover at same time as you (maybe even a couple frames before) and will be able to block. Or, if you're close enough, Growler might even CH her and you're back to neutral.

Still, it's not like it's an easy thing to confirm, and since her reversal isn't throw invul, may as well just go for a wake-up throw if you expect it. Far less risk, similar reward in most cases.

It's not something I would try to do on reaction, but it is quite easy to do if she whiffs the counter and you don't activate it somehow. This usually happens to me when the platinum tries to counter and I jumped and have a moment to see it before pressing a button. The counter is out forever so you have plenty of time to land and walk over and do whatever you want, since triggering the counter causes her to start another animation entirely and gives you the same punish window on its last active frame as if you had triggered it on frame 1.

You can also, if close enough, dash through her and trigger the counter with whatever you want and then punish freely since the projectile will still fire in the direction she is facing. However, if your teleport puts you right next to her the projectile can sometimes still hit behind her.

Basically, I just wanted to find ways to punish this move on whiff better than just a throw combo. It has counterhit recovery frames at the end but its kind of a small-ish window and easy to do 5C too early/late and either not get the counterhit or accidentally trigger the counter anyway. if you are just trying to predict it then grab is obviously the way to go

also, activating it to get a free growler absorb and then punishing anyway makes you look awesome

I just got tore up by a Platinum the other day. No other answer for this than just learning about her and her moveset, but is there basic "rules of thumb" you guys would reccommend against her?

I just got tore up by a Platinum the other day. No other answer for this than just learning about her and her moveset, but is there basic "rules of thumb" you guys would reccommend against her?

Could you give me some details as to what she was doing and what you think you lost to? And who was the player?

As for rules of thumb against Platinum....there are actually many.

Heartcar is punishable by a fucktons. It's -24. If someone is spamming heartcar midscreen, instead of pressing buttons or trying to gustaff in neutral, sometimes just block and see what happens. Punish that shit when blocked and make it hurt as much as possible.

TK Swallow moon is super prone to mashing, so don't be afraid to press buttons.

Her blockstrings end at 3C. If she's repeatedly ending blockstrings in 3C into bubble, IB 3c and punish.

ALWAYS WATCH HER ITEMS

Watching her items is extremely important if you want to know what each item does, read this. This'll give you a pretty detailed breakdown on Platinum.

As for fighting Platinum, you have better normals than she does.

She's bad underpressure even though you pressure isn't amazing.

If she's using the counter a lot, make sure you bait it and punish fully.

Like so: Here

Eat projectiles if you can and shoot them back at her.

I'll see if I can't dig up the video from the archives and see just wtf happened, but thanks for all the plethora of advice. I think a lot of it had to do with me not being prepared for her items, and Platinum is mostly a pretty foreign character for me. I never played against many, and she just has a bunch of crazy shit going all at once. Throwing out zoning bubbles, random items, friggin' cat mallet. Ugh.

It's also worth noting that she came around during a time in which I just left BB for awhile, and I was never interested in playing her so, I just never learned her ins and outs.

Plat items:

Hammer its cute and guard crushes, also safe on block.

Cat Hammer is cute but hits far, iirc its a instant overhead if tiger kneed, block it and gustav in free, if she is grounded then IB it and move in, make her use those items.

Frying pan, annoying and dangerous, is a instant overhead if tiger kneed, not much a threat in neutral, deal with her normally.

Baseball bat, -7 1 button DP, play cautiously around this, this move can end your pressure pretty free.

Kitty missiles: growler

Bombs: growler

Present: annoying dash growler can work on them other wise super jump over them.

Install present: I'm sorry...I AM SO SORRY! (dash growler if possible)

I'm learning Platinum and Azrael gives me no end of trouble so I thought I'd go ahead and ask what you guys do against her. What's Azrael's game plan versus Platinum and how do you deal with her antics?

Could you give me some details as to what she was doing and what you think you lost to? And who was the player?

As for rules of thumb against Platinum....there are actually many.

Heartcar is punishable by a fucktons. It's -24. If someone is spamming heartcar midscreen, instead of pressing buttons or trying to gustaff in neutral, sometimes just block and see what happens. Punish that shit when blocked and make it hurt as much as possible.

TK Swallow moon is super prone to mashing, so don't be afraid to press buttons.

Her blockstrings end at 3C. If she's repeatedly ending blockstrings in 3C into bubble, IB 3c and punish.

ALWAYS WATCH HER ITEMS

Watching her items is extremely important if you want to know what each item does, read this. This'll give you a pretty detailed breakdown on Platinum.

As for fighting Platinum, you have better normals than she does.

She's bad underpressure even though you pressure isn't amazing.

If she's using the counter a lot, make sure you bait it and punish fully.

Like so: Here

Eat projectiles if you can and shoot them back at her.

And also:

Plat items:

Hammer its cute and guard crushes, also safe on block.

Cat Hammer is cute but hits far, iirc its a instant overhead if tiger kneed, block it and gustav in free, if she is grounded then IB it and move in, make her use those items.

Frying pan, annoying and dangerous, is a instant overhead if tiger kneed, not much a threat in neutral, deal with her normally.

Baseball bat, -7 1 button DP, play cautiously around this, this move can end your pressure pretty free.

Kitty missiles: growler

Bombs: growler

Present: annoying dash growler can work on them other wise super jump over them.

Install present: I'm sorry...I AM SO SORRY! (dash growler if possible)

Is the advice I usually drew from to start winning matches. Sorry if you were hoping for something more...personalized, but there are quite a few shortages of Platinums for me.

Platinum is underrated and you may get a surprise beating for not knowing her stuff.

Big Bubble on hit = big combo in corner you have to space around this projectile. Required. Also, don't growler this fullscreen, the bubble will fly up once it goes a far enough distance.

Some Platinums like to "occasionally" play nutty and the character allows you to do this with random Circular. That shit is very easy to get hit by, and in corner, tons of damage. Also she can use fake overheads into low mix ups and those are naked to the human eye when done perfectly. She can also mix you up with grab set ups and float over heads. This is part of the reason why shes underrated.

What helps az in this match up is that as LONG as you're aware of her defensive techs then you can kill her in one touch to death situations. She has two of them, the fake platinum doll and the Baseball bat DP which are both very reliable. You have to grab the doll, OR you can hit the doll with 5A and then block the counter hit that comes right after. From my exp her recovery after that looks verryy bad. 

Her install super is quite gay and will beat your neutral verrryyyyy bad. Her stuff starts to cover the entire screen and her projectiles are upgraded as well. 

In conclusion, Platinum underrated. Match up is definitely even.