Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[CP] Kagura vs. Arakune

I feel like this matchup can be pretty troublesome for Kagura.

Arakune can use his spider move full screen to punish you trying to setup an Dark Orb Approach.

He can use his long duration backdash to make a drive move whiff and punish you during the long recovery.

He can backdash out of drive strings for free and there's pretty much nothing you can do except call him out with 6DC.

When you're cursed, you have no chance of really buying time at neutral, you pretty much just have to get locked down and block what you can.

Arakune's normals are bad and your drives and normals can do a good job at catching him out, but it's very high risk from both sides as Arakune can also backdash or use a Fake-Out special to make them whiff.

My advice is to play patiently early on and figure out what the Arakune you're playing against likes to do. Your DP is extremely good Vs Arakune and he has a hard time punishing it due to his lack of a dash. Don't go #yolo with your mixup and pressure. Arakune has no meterless Reversal, so keep him locked down with a few regular normals and resetting pressure with orbs before using your big mixup moves. If you can get into his head, then his threat level becomes a lot more trival.

A few notes...

Arakune can easily backdash out of B orb oki, so be aware of that. If he's doing it a lot, rather than going for pressure you can call him out on it and run forward to grab him when he reappears.

Flash kick is pretty damn useful here, if he ever tries to do something besides zone with bugs and clouds. If you can react to his 6A with it you're golden.

6C is surprisingly useful here. Arakune's pretty floaty when he's in the air, and if you're at a good distance it's fairly easy to hit him with it.

I feel like you can only win this matchup if the opponent is just asleep, otherwise just learn to block and prey for the best. The fact that he can float out of DP's range is irksome.