Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP] Valkenhayn vs Amane

Ute!

Anything he does into 236A (zettou - the hop) can be beaten with 5D > w5B if you have the reaction for it. I understand the matchup is a pain due the fact that many combos do not work on him but let's point them out as a reminder. With corner combos you need to delay the 6B after 2C otherwise the 2nd hit will whiff, or you could just do 6B(1) > 236C > 236A > etc which is an easier confirm but deals less damage. In addition corner combos involving 236A may whiff occasionally because he's too high, so you need to slightly delay the 5B/2C.

It's kinda awkward to get in when it comes to Amane because of his long range air normals, but he does extend his hurtbox whilst using them so don't be surprised if you hit him with a w5B when you're not close.

After playing and talking to both Eshi and Hellfire at UFGT, I think its time we got some more info on this matchup. All I can say is DO NOT sleep on Amane. This character gives Valk a very hard time, and it's not just because I got ruthlessly bodied. If anyone has anything they could share that would be great. For now I have a few things I took note of:

- Gekiren (623C) is air unblockable and can be RC'd for a tech trap reset. Eshi caught me off guard with this one.

- His 6A is really big.

- His j.B is really good against wolf.

- 6B(2) whiffs on him midscreen. Why.

- His pressure is honestly super scary if we don't have meter. (I don't really know where his strings are mashable so if someone could add that in it would be great.)

I was told by both players that this matchup is actually in Amane's favor, and after what I saw I'm inclined to agree. He seems to control every bit of space that we want to be in. Any thoughts would be appreciated so that we can prevent another Valk from being like me, walking into this matchup like it will be free and getting wrecked :P

Firstly: https://twitter.com/xKeebsx/status/471319446557319169

When you get used to the matchup, you'll realise it's not in his favour. j.B is a problem for grounded wolf, you can go in the air to that. Amane's pressure is full of gimmicks it's not scary. Amane's neutral against Valk is not even reliable. He can whiff something, and then he's dead. If Amane does lock you down, it's not game over.

I can't tell you his mashable strings because players can change it but stuff like 3C > Fabhop forward can lose to 5A / 6A / 5D > w5B, but the problem is that he can fabhop backwards, make you whiff the AA and then punish. Alternatively the easiest thing to do may be to block. If you're not awake then they can catch you with resets and stuff like 6D drill during pressure.

Like I said, Amane's tactic is unreliable and gimmicky. This isn't in Amane's favour, and Eshi if you corrupt my dawgs I will have to fight you at EVO.

Boku Zen demonstrates an easier combo route against Amane if you go for the corner wolf stuff  > 5C > 6D > j.A > 5B > 2C > 6C route. Here. You have to input the 6B very quickly otherwise you'll end up with your back to the corner.

Yeah, saw that. Thought it was pretty funny looking, does a bit less damage than the regular BnB but it's a pretty negligible amount. 

For me, personally, the slightly delayed 6B stuff isn't too bad. The thing that really kills me time and time again is that ever-so-slight delay before 236A in certain instances.