Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP] Valkenhayn vs Terumi

Been playing against a local Terumi and I've come back with some info. I'll update it as I play more.

This match is hands down in Valkenhayn's favour. Our space control and mixup pretty much leaves Terumi at our mercy.

Neutral

A pretty straightforward neutral game. Terumi has a few solid pokes, and his ground pressure is average at best. I found it to be best to approach him from the air and bait his slower moves. 6A is a pretty big anti air and one of Terumi's most used tools in this matchup, a counter hit with this will net Terumi a 4K combo so be careful! Bait it with j.77D or other evasive stuff for a free combo. The biggest threat here is his j.D. It has big range and comes out at a reasonable speed, perfect for smacking any wolf unfortunate enough to be in its way. Maneuver yourself around his anti air and air to air attempts and you're good to go. If he whiffs 6C and he has less than 50 heat, you get a free counter hit. Always be ready to pounce on him the moment he whiffs a move.

Defence

An important part of this match is the fact that Terumi has no meterless standing overheads , with 5C jump cancels being obsolete. Simply block low and wait for him to throw or use his 214D command grab. Tech the throw, and you're golden. As for 214D, it has 25 frame startup, so if you notice that Terumi hasn't gone for a throw yet, you can 5B or even IB 2C to beat it. DO NOT try to mash out of his pressure. A large number of Terumi's normals are plus on block so you will get beat out. In the event that you do get opened up, prepare to lose a solid 30-40% of your life if he has meter (which he almost always will). Remember however that Terumi has to rely on gimmicky mixups to make up for his flaws, and his surplus of meter gives him a plethora of options to rapid cancel into all sorts of shenanigans. This depends more on the player however, so take it with a grain of salt.

Offense

Getting in on Terumi is fairly simple, and once in, you can have your way with him. He has no reversal other than Soutenjin (236B), so be weary if he has 50 heat. When pressuring him, know that his 6B possesses lower body invulnerability, if he isn't respecting your pressure he just might throw it out so react accordingly.

So yeah, unless the Terumi player is adept at creating unorthodox mixups and getting good reads on your wolf movement, he's gonna have a really hard time. This is definitely in Valkenhayn's favour

Tbh you covered the matchup better than I would have if I posted something on him. I don't know what else to add, except maybe for the fact that because of his massive heat gain he may opt to use more CTs than any other character. It's rare but it's something to bear in mind.

I think you're underestimating Terumi close-range mixup. He has some really nasty, near-unreactable shit if he has the meter to sustain it and he's got frametraps out the ass. His ground throw is super short range but with his run speed he has very little difficulty getting in for it. If he lands it you will eat big damage and have to deal with a potential reset for giant damage (he has a lot of them). On top of that he has the best damage output in the game once he does hit you so relying on being able to block his mixups 100% (especially since he's got a 19-frame overhead) usually isn't the best way to play the matchup.

I think you're underestimating Terumi close-range mixup. He has some really nasty, near-unreactable shit if he has the meter to sustain it and he's got frametraps out the ass. His ground throw is super short range but with his run speed he has very little difficulty getting in for it.

I personally don't agree with this. What near unreactable stuff are you talking about? Stuff like 5C > RC > j.B? Terumi has little to offer once he's on the offensive. I don't usually disrespect it by pressing buttons but I'll use the opportunity to get out. Against someone who is very good at teching throws, his offense becomes even more limited.

On top of that he has the best damage output in the game once he does hit you so relying on being able to block his mixups 100% (especially since he's got a 19-frame overhead) usually isn't the best way to play the matchup.

Wut?

On top of that he has the best damage output in the game once he does hit you so relying on being able to block his mixups 100% (especially since he's got a 19-frame overhead) usually isn't the best way to play the matchup.

You are aware that Hakumen is a thing in this game, right? His damage is great, but nowhere near Haku or Koko. Also, blocking his mixup is fairly simple once you know his options. And like I stated in the guide, rapid cancel shenanigans are very effective with him, but this just a basic guide for Terumi on a fundamental level, and a basic Terumi player on a fundamental level is not likely to be doing RC IAD cross up overheads and shit a la Jin.