Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP] Tsubaki vs Amane

I find this incredibly hard. Amane seems to be able to fly, whenever he does land, I notice I'm not there to catch him. I'm struggling a lot with this neutral. I can't lay out a projectile most of the time because I'll get countered by Amane's j.C.

So what would most of you do to catch the bird? High jumps seem to be good, so are IAD's when Amane is falling, but I can hardly ever get an air-throw. I can't sit and block in the corner all day because I know I'm gonna get hit eventually.

Any help?

I rarely use the projectile in this matchup because Amane just has a lot of neutral control so he's mostly always going to be pressing buttons.

I rely on Tsubaki's dash speed to get in, or even IADs but not when he's grounded and hasn't committed to anything because his 6A AA is really good. If you're going air to air with Amane when you're not so close to him chances are you're gonna lose because of his j.B. His j.B is kinda weird though because it extends his hitbox so at times you may trade with him from a distance. I find getting in somewhat awkward and I usually take my time. Sometimes I deliberately charge in spot to make the Amane use 2C or 5C, both of which give you the chance to get in with an IAD provided you weren't too greedy with charging. If he goes into the air while I'm charging I usually aim to dash in, but then he has Gosei (j.236C) which can catch ya, though it's unsafe if blocked.

Specific things to note about this matchup is that 6C > j.D > j.C combos won't work on Amane due to his real small hitbox, so you have to use 6C > CT or 6CC. 623C > j.214A/B (whiff) > 5A/5C also does not work on Amane.

Stay on the ground, and you'll survive just fine. Going to air is suicide, and remember, he has an attack that can pull you out of the air into the ground. So yeah, aerial for us in this MU is a no go. Also, when he has 50 heat, watch out for his DD reversal. One of the best I've seen.

I'm actually starting to really dislike ending combos in 22B midscreen against Amane, since he gets to go into the air and play his game afterwards. 

Also, doing crossunder 2B(w)B is really bad in this matchup. Amane hitting 4/6 B~A OSes 6B and barrier for left/right. Not sure if doing 2B(w)>5C works on him, although he can also do 6A>kara B, and get 6A or barrier as well which is slightly faster and might hit Tsubaki out of the 5C. Need to check. 

I got challenged by a really good Amane about 7 or 8 times in a row today and I lost every single match. I tried applying everything I read in this thread but it was futile.

One thing I had the most trouble with was when I got put in the corner, especially if the Amane has 2+ Drill level. What can you do? I barrier as much as I can, but that dissipates within seconds. If I attempt to jump out, I get hit with his 100% unblockable air grab. DP whiffs at the distance he gets pushed back due to barrier. Reversal Super has no range. Blade Super gets me a drill to the face before the invuln kicks in.

Is there any way out besides the Amane making a huge mistake or not managing his gauge correctly?

Counter assault? :P

Though honestly, this is the same sort of complaint you are having in the Terumi thread - someone is out guessing you. The anti-air hand grab is 25 frames of startup - they're not reacting to your jumpout with this, they're guessing when you are going to jump out and throwing it out there.  You have to be less predictable.

Of course I'm going to jump out when I have no barrier, though. It forces me to do something. Let's say I don't have 50 heat. What are my options with a depleted barrier gauge in the corner? Sit there and eat chip damage?

Do I just need to guess that he is going to attempt for the air command grab if he sees that I have no barrier? What should I expect?

If you don't have 50 heat, you can probably get there by instant blocking his drills.   Though yes, there are times when you are playing against Amane that you're going to take chip damage.  And there are times in all matches when you have to say 'F- it' and try to do something unexpected.   Trying to jump out when you have no barrier is actually a really BAD idea, because even 'normal' air unblockables that require you to barrier will hit you.  So yes, try to identify when you are predictably jumping out and dash forward and do something instead.  Amane's whole gameplan basically centers around making you feel helpless so that you won't just run up and hit him in the face.

Also, depending on how he is setting up the drill, if you see it coming, you should be able to DP him out of it instead of blocking it.  What setup is he doing?  Go nuts and try something wacky. TK j.236A. Mash DP.  Dash up jab.  The problem is that you are being predictable, and if your opponent can tell what you are going to do, it's easy for him to counter it.