Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP1.1] Tsubaki Yayoi Questions and Answers Thread

How do you guys deal with who interrupt your rush down by mashing 2A and 5A? I feel like i'm being forced to do full block strings.

I've tried, jumping towards, delaying attacks and spamming 22B with little success.

You could try to add more frame traps to your gameplay if you know your opponent is a masher

There should be some frame traps in the strategy guide

After some time they will stop mashing (respecting your offensive options) and you can go for better mixups

You could try to add more frame traps to your gameplay if you know your opponent is a masher

There should be some frame traps in the strategy guide

After some time they will stop mashing (respecting your offensive options) and you can go for better mixups

To just give the only-slightly-less-lazy answer, the basic frame trap for Tsubaki is:

Pretty much anything -> Delayed 5C.

The objective is to do the 5C late enough that there's a small gap for them to mash in, but not so much that the mashing hits you. It takes a little practice.

You used to be able to use 6B as a frame trap as well, but that basically only works after 5B in CP because the reduced blockstun on 5BB means that mashing will beat 6B after 5BB. You can still use 6B after 5C/5CC, but that's less a 'frame trap' and more 'just keeping the blockstring going'.

5C© is also a great frame trap as well and gatlings directly into 6CC just like 5C CH does.

Tsu has a lot of strong frame trap options so it's good to know a handful of them to mix them in to your pressure strings to make mashing seem unreasonable.

How do you guys deal with who interrupt your rush down by mashing 2A and 5A? I feel like i'm being forced to do full block strings.

I've tried, jumping towards, delaying attacks and spamming 22B with little success.

I know the feel. There are some ways in which I deal with it.

I use 5A xN and may delay 5A slightly to get CHs. When they start respecting your 5A pressure you can start to mix in your usual things. Use 5A as much as you need to in order to frustrate the opponent. if they're barrier blocking you'll have to use microdashes, or even IAD j.C stuff (the options for this are in the strategy guide). This is what I was talking about when I was describing Stage 3 pressure with Tsubaki. Charge cancelling may prove ineffective if the opponent is alert (in this case it's my brother), so most of the time you'll have to rely on your neutral for hits. Believe me when I say I get hit out of everything with Tsubaki. 6C > j.D > j.A beats AA attempts so you can use that against players. You won't be able to followup from j.A so use that opportunity to go for a 6A/Throw/Command grab, or go into further 5A pressure if they are mashing buttons. Additionally you can try stuff like 6C > [2]7C or 6C > [2]7D > 236D if you like. It's another way to try and stay on top of your opponent really.

For frame traps these are the ones you have:

• 5BB Delay
  • 5CC Delay - If you charge cancel this you'll most likely get poked out of whatever you do next. Use 6B sometimes.
  • 2BB Delay
  • 6BB Delay
  • 6BB > Delay 22B

Also try this example. Against a player I'd do something like 5B > charge cancel. If they don't poke me out of the charge cancel, then you're free to do whatever you want, but if they do, start doing 5BB(Delay) to catch them off guard. I sometimes also do stuff like 5CC > charge cancel > dash 5CC > 6B to catch mashers too. 6C > 623149b (tk.blade super) can also encourage players to press buttons and get hit, but the reward isn't great.

I know this answer is quite lengthy and goes against a 'simple answer' but I hope it helps. As a Tsubaki player it's very easy to get disrespected, and it's not your fault. It's just the way Tsubaki is.

Thanks guys, all very helpful, especially yours Kiba.

I'm pretty bad with the 5A throw mixups, so i have been practicing kara throw :S. Its helped when it works haha.

Additionally you can try stuff like 6C > [2]7C or 6C > [2]7D > 236D if you like.

Also, whats xN, and what should [2]7C or [2]7D look like?

I really appreciate this. Hopefully I wont be as frustrated with this part of Tsu no more lol.

Also, whats xN,

xN is "times N" or, in English "some number of times." For example, 5A xN means "do 5A some number of times between 1 and infinity"

and what should [2]7C or [2]7D look like?

I have no idea, this totally lost me.

Also, whats xN, and what should [2]7C or [2]7D look like?

I have no idea, this totally lost me.

Here. Cancelling 6C into the projectile. Hold [1] during the 6C hits then press 9C whenever you're ready. You may want to also consider using IAD j.C > command grab and 6C > Command grab. 6B > command grab is also real good. They are just a few of the many command grab options you can use but they along with a few others can be viewed here. I think IAD j.C > stuff is particularly good because you can go for a number of options:

• IAD j.CC (delay) (overhead mixup)
  • IAD j.C > 2B (low mixup, but is quite slow)
  • IAD j.C > Throw/Command grab
  • IAD j.C > land 6A (This is quite good but don't be surprised if you get thrown out of it due to 6A's slowness)
  • IAD j.CC(delay) > j.D > j.A/B/C > throw/command grab (You won't be able to followup from the j.C (if used) due to landing recovery. You may also need to dash for the throw/command grab to hit, but you can be poked out of j.D, or when you land)

I also forgot to mention that if you want to minimalise the mash risk you need to be observant with your spacing. 5BB can whiff if you're not close enough.

Here. Cancelling 6C into the projectile. Hold [2] during the 6C hits then press 7C whenever you're ready.

I...what? How does [2]7C get you the projectile? Since 2 is completely direction neutral for forward/backward, and 7 is backwards? @_@

So judging by the number of changes, I'm assuming that anything beyond learning the basic fundaments of Tsubaki's character in CSE would be wasted coming into CP? I don't have access to CP yet, but I want to start using Tsubaki, and I do have CSE.

So judging by the number of changes, I'm assuming that anything beyond learning the basic fundaments of Tsubaki's character in CSE would be wasted coming into CP? I don't have access to CP yet, but I want to start using Tsubaki, and I do have CSE.

Then learn CSE Tsubaki. I'm not saying that it's not a big change going to CP, but there's a lot of stuff that didn't change too. (Mostly her crappy normals, heh.) Any experience is better than zero.

Learning CSE Tsubaki will give you a basic understanding of her combo theory and the type of pressure/mixup she has. IAD j.CC combos are still used and you will still be using 5A xN, 6B and charge cancels to reset pressure. You'll also learn how to use your attacks in neutral for example. You'll still be relying on 5B for instance for the poke game and 236X > 214D is still quite useful for getting in (although it covers more ground in CP).

The stuff that you may learn which could be a waste is stuff like:

• 3CC RC Combos
  • 3C© cross up stuff which no longer autocorrects in CP.
  • 623C > j.236A(whiff) > j.214D combos

[1 Charge] 5BB > 5CC > 236B > 214B > 22D > Dash 6C > j.D > j.C > 5C > 2CC > j.C > dj.CC > j.214A [2783 DM] [19% HG]

With this combo here, what exactly is the timing for J.D > J.C > 5C > 2CC?

I can't seem to get it right as soon as I jump up into J.D, because I whiff the Jump C as soon as I recover from J.D.

Yeah the timing is weird on some j.D > j.C combos.

Sometimes you need to input the following j.C immediately, other times you have to slightly delay it and use it when you're much closer to the ground. Here. In this case I think you're supposed to do it immediately.

okay i'm new to bb and this character, and i think what gives me the most trouble is actually getting in on the opponent and keeping pressure. i can do the basic blockstrings and whatever.. but what should i be doing if i hit a max range 5B. i can't continue the gatling so i've been trying either 6B, 22B or an IAD jC or jB but both the iad and the 6B can get me counterhit and the 22B puts them on the other side of the screen if it hits so that's not really too great either.

is there anything safe here i can use to continue pressure or should i just not even try if i know they are going to be hitting buttons

There isn't much you can do from a max range 5B; your only decent options being 6B or IAD j.C followup. Players can jump out of the 6B, and even if they don't, it's still difficult for you to continue pressure because you'll be too far out and at that point they'll probably be mashing buttons, or trying to get away. IAD j.C is good to get in but as you know, it can lose to mashing and anti airs.

Following up with a 22B will return the pace to neutral, but it's good if you're fishing for CHs.

5B > 6C is a good option. Of course you can get mashed out of it (but that's Tsubaki, she can be mashed everywhere, so the risk/reward isn't worst than anything else), but 95% of the time you won't, and it gives you a free mixup because 6C will put you at very close range, and it's jump canceable on block with a huge blockstun.

6C > jump cancel > j.D > j.A is not mashable. Hell, even j.C is worth it to keep pressure. Only a few opponent will really react to.

6B is a good option too. I don't know what kind of opponent you are battling, but 5B > 6B is pretty nice for approaching.

You can also try 5B > 5D > 5B > 6C, to bait stuff. If you are really at max range, the opponent won't be able to get advantage after your 5D.

And if you are pretty far from your opponent, try to throw a random 3C from time to time. People will never guard low at a certain range, and you can even get a fatal counter out of it. And at max range it's pretty safe (depending on your opponent obviously)

alright, 6C is really legit. i was never using it outside of combos before.

confirming the second hit on the 3C is pretty tough online though, is there a way to os it or something? or do i just go yolo mode and do it anyway

There isn't a way to OS it I'm afraid, but you can very slightly delay 3CC if that helps.

Due to the update that CP is getting, any presumptions of what the new input for Tsubaki's command grab will be? I personally disliked the 63214 input, it felt out of place in my opinion.