Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP1.1] Valkenhayn Q&A Thread

lol really? the analog stick for fighters, not even once xDD

i was playing against a mashing azrael, it seems he gets rewarded for flailing arround like a retard, every thing he did just seemed to pick me off wherever i was, got me real frustrated, and obviously i started doing dumb shit, went to check the match up thread, but theres nothing on his IAD j5B crossup, whats the best way to punish it?

im actually not really good punishing crossups, i shall practice that...

I also play on pad with the analog stick xD. I just recently purchased a fightstick though so, time to 

re-learn how to play lol, it feels so strange, but I'm sure it'll be easier down the road.

As for the azrael question, I'd also like some insight on this lol, I'm not too good on punishing crossups as well.

Azrael's IAD j.B isn't really something he should be throwing out willy nilly. My advice would be to look early in his strings for a 5A or 5B as they are his only jump cancellable ground normals and chicken block. If anything you could probably just block it and 5A anti air him. You could even IB and call it out with 5D > w.5B, all that extra head invuln would probably work.

went on training mode and, i came up woth block>5A, 6A if timed just right, and my favorite was 2C, the 5D>w5B needs to be done very early and if the connection isnt that good i would still get CH out of it xD thanks anyway stellar :D

Hi, I am a new player in the game, it's my first anime fighter. I choosed Valkenhayn as my char but I have a hard time getting out of the opponent's pressure, especially when I am against the wall. Got any tips for that? Reversals or something. And I would like to ask for help to improve with the character, I already know some combos, but my neutral game and my footsies are very bad.

That's just something you have to get used to. Valkenhayn has some of the worst defensive options in the entire game. I can recommend 2 things for you.

1. Learn to Instant Block. It's an invaluable skill, and will give you openings to mash out against even the most oppressive of characters.

2. Counter assault. I cannot stress how important this is. Sturm Wolf is good, but can be pretty unreliable. Your CA can get you out of sticky situations and back to neutral where you can start baiting/punishing/poking.

h.5B, h.5C, w.5C and w.5A are all very solid footsie tools. Valk has great footsie normals, so learning to space them is very important.

As for improving your neutral, look at improving your wolf movement. Wolf can't block, so you have to rely on baits and punishes to get in. A good example of a movement technique is jump > j.D > 66D. It will cover a ton of space and works as a fullscreen human jump in!

Also, abuse w.jA. It will stuff most air normals outside of Koko j.A and Carl j.A. It's amazing, so use it!

Hope this helped you out a bit!

That's just something you have to get used to. Valkenhayn has some of the worst defensive options in the entire game. I can recommend 2 things for you.

1. Learn to Instant Block. It's an invaluable skill, and will give you openings to mash out against even the most oppressive of characters.

2. Counter assault. I cannot stress how important this is. Sturm Wolf is good, but can be pretty unreliable. Your CA can get you out of sticky situations and back to neutral where you can start baiting/punishing/poking.

h.5B, h.5C, w.5C and w.5A are all very solid footsie tools. Valk has great footsie normals, so learning to space them is very important.

As for improving your neutral, look at improving your wolf movement. Wolf can't block, so you have to rely on baits and punishes to get in. A good example of a movement technique is jump > j.D > 66D. It will cover a ton of space and works as a fullscreen human jump in!

Also, abuse w.jA. It will stuff most air normals outside of Koko j.A and Carl j.A. It's amazing, so use it!

Pretty much this.  For God's sake, even if you suck at instant blocking, at least block.  You don't have the health or options to gamble.  CA is a good option, but can be low profiled (this sucks) and baited quite easily.  Spacing battles are something that comes with experience, although you have a bit of leeway as most opponents tend to be more wary because of Valk's superior neutral in most scenarios.

So I've been having a lot of trouble with opponents using the 1 > 7 > 1 fuzzy jump OS during my pressure. Too often do people just try jumping out for free with it, and I'm not sure what ways Valk can circumvent it other than making a read with an air throw. I have a set with someone in my scene who makes ample use of it, so Ill post it when it's uploaded if you want a better idea what I'm talking about

Hmm. Actually, wolf form Valk is one of the characters that fuzzy jump doesn't really work against. If they're jumping out a lot there's probably other problems. What kind of situations was he jumping out in?

Also, hi guys. :) I might be semi-active again. Planning on starting to play again in a month or two.

Hmm. Actually, wolf form Valk is one of the characters that fuzzy jump doesn't really work against. If they're jumping out a lot there's probably other problems. What kind of situations was he jumping out in?

Also, hi guys. :) I might be semi-active again. Planning on starting to play again in a month or two.

Just basic stagger strings. Things like meaty 6B > 2A > 5D > w.5A > etc...  Going for 6D mixup after I figured I had forced enough respect is being beaten as well. What do you recommend?

Oh ok so you're doing human pressure. Eh, just start doing things that will call out fuzzy jump. Delayed lows. They made our late chain into 3C much longer, which makes it easier. eg. 6B>2A>5B>delay>3C. I guess if they're jumping you trying to do 2A>5D, then do 2A>2B or just 2A>2A delayed to catch jump startup.

If you wanna do a super obvious call out, you can just gatling into 6B from like 2B or 5B (maybe 2A). It usually is about the right amount of delay to catch them. The key to beating fuzzy jump is basically just delay strings, but then you can usually get mashed out. That's the RPS of it.

If they get hit for it a few times they'll stop doing it and you can do whatever. (Or you just keep hitting them)

In general the answer is to use wolf oki! :D

PS: When you say, "going for 6D mixup," do you mean like human stuff into 6D? If so, that's something you should only do rarely if you think you'll catch the opponent sleeping.

No, when I say 6D mixup I mean stuff like w.5AA > w.5C > 6DD > 2B/6C/throw. I've been playing long enough to know that human stuff into 6D is pretty bad :P

Thanks for the advice, it's really useful stuff. really hate the OS regardless, just an added layer of needless bullshit IMO