Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP1.1] Valkenhayn Q&A Thread

I say it was better in Extend for 3 reasons:

-It could be easily done off of many starters, it isn't like that anymore due to the timer-based combo system.

-In Extend you could usually tack the Joker ender on at the end of your combo (and you'd even get a nice little damage boost) whereas in CP you have to shorten your combos to use it.

-Human mode oki was better in Extend due to the stronger gatlings and ridiculous meter gain for constant j.C > RC > j.C IOH's.

Anyways, it's basically just a safe-jump set-up. I suppose that you could still find a use for it every once in a while in CP.

Not really my thing anymore though but I can see why some people would choose to use it. I'd say that it's a preference thing, keeps things fresh too.

I've been meaning to incorporate the Joker ender too, but are all the wolf attacks to set it up (w[j.A > j.B > 5B > wj.AAA) really necessary? It seems to boil down to w[j.B > j.3D > j.B] to set up unless the earlier hits do affect the timing and positioning of the resulting oki.

Hi new to BBCP and Valkenhayn, I've got a question

What is a good follow up/ are good follw ups after I antiair in both wolfmode and human mode?

Right now in wolf mode I've been practicing j.C then do a couple of drills, but I'm not sure how practical that is in a real match.

In human mode I do j.B > j.B> j.C as a quick easy follow up, but I'm sure there are more optimal ways to follow up.

I have a question:  What's up with the sound effects for Valk's Wolf?

"Once upon a time, it was whispered amongst the whole ASW company that one and only particular character was so powerful that no nerf stick could ever affect his might. No matter how many times the old wolf got beaten by the divine nerf stick that even brought his blond vampire master on her knees ages ago, Valkenhayn kept being ranked top tier amongst all the rightful candidates no matter how fierce the rest of them were.

In order to destroy his legend, ASW forged a unique weapon: The Great Nerfhammer. This way, they hoped that the beastkin will be stripped of his almighty S rank. They started by smashing and crushing his limbs in order to make his wolf recovery slower and severely hinder his powerful claws so that the old butler couldn't be able to even scratch his opponent's feet anymore but could only settle with aiming at their abdomen.

In fact, the damage were so bad that he had to use his tail even more than before making a tail sweep much stronger than any of his claws or bites.

In their madness, ASW decided to use the Great Nerfhammer on his voice actors themselves. Yes, you heard right, they even nerfed them. Tying up the english voice actor, they dropped it with all their might on the poor man's nuts. The scream coming out of his mouth was so pitiful and pathetic that they decided to use it in the actual game for when the wolf will be howling.

However, despite the numerous sufferings and countless tears, the loyal wolf still remained S tier.

Now, you know.

Hi new to BBCP and Valkenhayn, I've got a question

What is a good follow up/ are good follw ups after I antiair in both wolfmode and human mode?

Right now in wolf mode I've been practicing j.C then do a couple of drills, but I'm not sure how practical that is in a real match.

In human mode I do j.B > j.B> j.C as a quick easy follow up, but I'm sure there are more optimal ways to follow up.

Depends of the anti-air you used.

However, with pretty much everything except 6A, you should be able to do after jump>jD>wjA>wjB>3D>wjA>5D>5B

Basically, doing wjB>3D>wjA in the air allows you to land and go with the usual BnB which is really convenient.

An example with w5B would be:

w5B (AA)>jump>wjB>3D>wjA>5D>5B>5C>jB>djB>jC

This combo is universal and provide some corner carry while not using that much wolf gauge.

If you're not far from the corner you can go with:

w5B (AA)>jump>wjB>3D>wjA>5D>5B>236A>2C>6B>2C>tk214B>6C>3C

Which gives you a lot of wolf gauge back and a pretty good oki.

You can obviously get more damage but it entirely depends of the height of the opponent and how far they are from you. You won't do the same thing if you hit at point blank or with the tip of the hitbox.

The combos I gave you though always work and got a relatively easy hitconfirm.

If the opponent block w5B for example, doing wjB>3D>wjA right after that will allow you to make the opponent land while blocking and keep pressuring them on the ground so it's something you will use whether it is on hit or on block.

I was wondering... on the character select image back in BBCSE, Didnt Valkenhayn had a scar on his eye? Now on BBCP both of his eyes are normal...

Idk if this post goes here...

Yo tambien pensé lo mismo que tu David, hubiera sido bien chingon si lo hubiera perdido en la batalla contra la black beast!!

okay so long story short im just learning valk from scratch. what should be the things that i should focus on right off the back, combos, mixups, wolf meter?

The Valk stategy guide would probably be a better place for info, but imo, get comfortable with human/wolf normals and wolf movement first. Anytime you learn a new character, you always start with the basics.

In one of Kiba's latest additions to the video thread, I noticed Suya use a technique I've never seen before and was wondering if you guys could explain it.

In this video http://youtu.be/DGNT0hN5pL0 at about 20:54, Suya punishes Noel's burst with w.5B and then proceeds to confirm into w.jB by somehow jumping slightly backwards. It looks like some sort of wolf brake super jump thing but I still can't be sure. Anyone have clarification on this.

Yeah I noticed this and figured it out a while back. If you time it right and do the dash fast enough, you can do that loop w/o a wolf dash. It's like an IAD, but you jump backwards. w5B>7>66>jB>jA You also want to delay the jump cancel slightly.

Question: I can't do CP Valkenhayn's basic basic Wolf Combo, w.[A > B > C > 6D > A > 5D] > 5B and onwards.  The 6D into A is hard enough for me and I can't get it 100% consistently even after practicing it for hours at a time, but I can never get the 5B.  Either I input it too early and w.B comes out, or it's way too late and they've already teched.  Is there any way to better understand the timing on this?

Question: I can't do CP Valkenhayn's basic basic Wolf Combo, w.[A > B > C > 6D > A > 5D] > 5B and onwards. The 6D into A is hard enough for me and I can't get it 100% consistently even after practicing it for hours at a time, but I can never get the 5B. Either I input it too early and w.B comes out, or it's way too late and they've already teched. Is there any way to better understand the timing on this?

If you want a more optimal corner carry combo, use w.5A > 5B > 5C > 6D > j.A > 5B > IAD > j.B > 3D > j.A > [h.5B > 2C > sj.BAB > dj.BC]

If you are close to the corner once you reach the switch to human, you can do h.5B > 236A > 2C > TK.214B > 6C > 3C for better oki.

All I can say about the w.jA > h.5B is that you should fiddle with the timing. Wolf switching is done through "pianoing", this means that two or more buttons are pressed in rapid succession. I play on pad for example, so when I do this specific piano, I rest my thumb on both D and B and press starting at D and moving up to B. This inputs the switch to human with 5D and the 5B all in a few buffer frames.

It's usually something new Valks struggle with, and learning to consistently switch from wolf to human and vice versa is critical to playing this character. Just grind it out and it will come naturally!

I also play on pad, but my thumb is kind of fat, so I can't rest my thumb on D and B without also hitting A and C when I try to piano.  In Extend I could sort of do the combos because a lot of them did not require the input immediately after switching, but this is kind of rough :/

Thanks for the advice!