Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeth07

[CP] Azrael - Gameplay Discussion v.2 (Discuss Videos/Combos/Questions/etc.)

Yeah, it took me a while to get used to all of the timings, and I'm still not getting everything right consistently. I'm having the most trouble with 5B>2C and 5A>5B(surprisingly). As far rekkas in the corner go, it also took me a while to get used to delaying the final hit just enough to follow up with 5B. Weird shit.

I answered my own question, it seems all you have to do is just delay the 3rd hit. For other stuff like linking 3D midscreen, it seems it's best to do it faster though. I had trouble with Valiant Charger too when I started off but I can do the 5C x 4 3C > 6A > 5/6D sequence pretty consistently now. Still having difficulty with the 5C 6C j.C 6B DUMP sequence.

I'm feeling good about all of his links now, I mostly just feel clumsy getting used to all of the new inputs. This character is not easy, and I'm actually ok with that.

Like, 30 minutes into playing him, I confirmed a new double weakpoint application combo I've been thinking of, only to find out it's azrael specific...

Yeah, it took me a while to get used to all of the timings, and I'm still not getting everything right consistently. I'm having the most trouble with 5B>2C and 5A>5B(surprisingly). As far rekkas in the corner go, it also took me a while to get used to delaying the final hit just enough to follow up with 5B. Weird shit.

Coming from Bang who wasn't allowed to late-chain his normals (which means Bang has to immediately do 5A>5B no matter what), for Azrael you really just want to visually see the move hit/block and then do the next move. Just take your time with the inputs.

Again I'll mention to check the combo thread and look at the section for "Move Timing", as it covers some of that stuff.

I have a lot of combos and explanations for why certain things work/don't-work. I'll post all of it tomorrow, since casuals today will go into the morning.

Throws are special starters that have inherent hitstun deterioration already applied. It's best just to go straight into valiant charger off any ground throw. Haven't tried to 2A > TC > Valiant off air throw but I feel like 2C > 6D > extension is a better route for damage there.

I guess throws were a bad example. Take for instance mission 22 in azrael's challenge mode. 3D to TC to valiant. I can't do it and I've been at it for ages. I feel like there's a timing I'm missing.

for the life of me i can't get tc to chain into valiant after a throw. any tips?

Just in general since it will apply in other combos, you want to cancel it as soon as you do TC, shouldn't be any special timing on the Valiant itself so just do it asap.

But yea as AMB Bakery said, if you are just doing it off throws go straight into Valiant. Off forward throw you want to delay it so you catch them lower to the ground which will help with combos after it but it isn't "necessary" since if you catch them higher they'll just wall splat higher just means your options are more limited.

Very basic and simple Valiant combo off both throws that will do fullscreen corner carry,

Throw>Valiant>5C Loop*4>3C>6A>2C>6D.

Probably isn't the highest damage since I didn't look at the combo thread but it is very easy and does ~4k.

keep in mind that if you are doing TC > Valiant, you need them to be fairly high into the air. If they are too low when you begin TCL, then they will hit the ground and tech before valiant connects. This isn't commonly an issue, but if it is, try using a normal like 5B before TCL, to help raise them higher into the air.

I had a ton of matchup experience and practice at my casuals today. Too much stuff is going on in my head at the moment, but I'll get around to posting it once I wake up. Everything from Matchups to combo ideas.

Also, is anyone else having trouble confirming this? (on standing opponent) TCL > OMC dash > Valiant

I've started using a more complicated combo just because it's more consistent for me. TCL > OMC (delayed IAD) low j.C > (land) 6A (wallbounce) > Valiant

I've been TK'ing the Valiant during the forward dash. Has been working out just fine for me.

Getting used to Azrael's movement... I feel like he really needs all the help he can get from his forward moving normals and specials, Gustaf in particular I'm starting to see why it's thrown out so much in match videos.

Yes, gustaf is amazing in the neutral game. Its worth using just because of rc to 3c on hit which easily leads to charger combos with uw. Between gustaf and 6c I feel generally okay in neutral, especially if you can be patient and utilize IB's and his back dash. For me I generally try to just train people to sit after I have advantage with either 5a or 2a, and then try and mix in other pressure options such as sentinel dump or forward dashes once they respect your presence in close.

Also, is anyone else having trouble confirming this? (on standing opponent) TCL > OMC dash > Valiant

I've started using a more complicated combo just because it's more consistent for me. TCL > OMC (delayed IAD) low j.C > (land) 6A (wallbounce) > Valiant

IAD route is better as long as you don't plan on going for an optimal OD ender: 6A> OD> 3C> BHS

Jump cancelling the dash into Special is really finicky.

Sorry I'm behind on posting what I was excited about before. I got sidetracked, and it's not a bad thing.

I'm going to do my best to record an example of anything I post, so there's a clear visual of how to perform it. I'll start with optimal punishes and practical double weakpoint application combos.

Alright, I don't know if this has been stated or confirmed or anything, but it IS possible under unrealistic circumstances for Scud Punishment's second hit to whiff despite the first attack hitting. If that happens, there is no stagger, nor any weakpoints applied. I was messing around training mode by doing 6A>Delayed 5B in the corner against Ragna, and Scud's second hit didn't connect because Ragna ended up behind Azrael. Again, unrealistic, but felt like pointing out.

Yo!

I have no idea how to anti-air well.

I can anti-air with 2c very long bad jumpins and with 5b very late jump ins. I absolutley cant antiair with 6b. Is 6b just bad AA option or i should try harder?

Yo!

I have no idea how to anti-air well.

I can anti-air with 2c very long bad jumpins and with 5b very late jump ins. I absolutley cant antiair with 6b. Is 6b just bad AA option or i should try harder?

Don't even bother with 6B. It is situational at best in my opinion and until someone sits down and actually goes through when it is appropriate just stick with 2C and 5B. It is also really weird trying to combo after it.

The only time I've seen 6B work is to react to ragna's blood scythe move, followed by a dash 5B I think.

Sorry but I can't upload the combos yet. I keep finding new stuff and I refuse to upload them without first double checking all the characters they work on first. It'll be a few days, realistically.

6B is super awkward in general. It seems to be good only against crossups and you can't follow it up consistently without CH. It's an ok combo filler in valiant combos off a decent starter, at least.

Oh, and about the OD second hit whiff I mentioned earlier? I was messing around with a friend and I ended up hitting her Mu out of the new crossup move she has with it, but the second hit ended up whiffing. Seems like this can end up happening more often than just if you try to make it happen.

It's pretty easy. After hitting the opponent with VC with the UW applied, just tap forward then let it go, hit 5C, then tap forward again. Rinse and repeat.