Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reaper4

Tips for Reload Sol

I started playing guilty gear again when it came out for download on xbox live. Im trying to get good with Sol and i was wondering if any one can give me some tips or combos for him.

Oh yeah, #r just became downloadable from Live. That explains all these posts for #r stuff.

Unfortunately most of our #r stuff got deleted, or was on gamecombos.com or romancancel.com which aren't around anymore.

but you can check out this guy's youtube channel for a bunch of #r vids

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=getterbeeeeeeeeeeem

Hmm, so I originally started this post with the intent to write a little, and I went really overboard. :psyduck: But if a lot more people are just getting #R, maybe it will be useful? Anyway, ridiculously long post ahead. =/

By the way, If you're going to play online, you're probably better off downloading the Japanese version of #Reload for the PC and patching it so you can play on #R Net. Just sayin'. =P

Basic stuff for Sol:

-Be able to GF FRC consistently. That also means being able to GF FRC after moves like 2D, 6P, etc.

-You generally want to stay close to your opponent, so use short strings while on the ground to keep from pushing your opponent out.

-Be careful about getting predictable with Sol, especially his specials since a lot of them are easily punishable. For example, don't overuse VV, since your opponent is just going to start blocking and punish you for it.

-This may be obvious, but since I have seen a fair number of newer Sol players do it, I would just like to reiterate that GV, BB, and Riot Stomp are not mixups, and they are all easily punishable (especially GV). The only exception to this is when you are backed way into a corner with your opponent close to you, then Riot Stomp is fast enough to be considered a "mix up," but I still hesitate to call it such.

-Knockdowns are usually more important than a little extra damage.

Decent pokes:

2P

2S

5H

Anti-Air:

VV

j.P

2H (timing's tougher on this one because of its slow startup)

6P (not the best anti-air, but not horrible either)

air throw

Air-to-Ground:

j.H

j.S (done late, and typically against smaller characters)

Air-to-Air:

j.K

j.D

Good moves for tick throws:

2P

j.S (done very late, or so that it whiffs entirely)

Some basic combos that work in #R:

1. 5K, 2D (if the 2D connects, do either VV->kick or BR)

2. 2K, 2S

3. 2K, 5S, 2S

4. 5P, 2K, 2S

5. 2K, 2H, GV

6. 5S, 5H, GF Feint/GF/BB/Jump/Whatever (I usually use GF Feint)

7. j.S, JC, j.S, j.H, VV, kick (air combo)

8. j.K, j.D, JC, j.K, j.D (air combo)

9. j.K, j.D, JC, j.S, j.D, VV, kick (air combo in corner or while dashing)

10. 5D, hold up, j.D, j.D, stop holding up, j.S, j.K, j.S, j.D, JC, j.S, j.D, VV, kick (must reach the corner by the third j.D, I think)

11. 5D, hold up, j.D, j.D, stop holding up, j.S, j.K, j.S, j.K, j.S, JC, j.S, j.H, VV, kick

12. 2K, 6P, 5H, JC, air combo (must be in corner)

13. WT, air combo

14. WT, GF, jump, j.K, j.S, j.D, JC, j.K, j.D

15. WT, dash, dashing air combo (this one is tough to do. You need to wait just a moment so you won't jump over or under your opponent, and the jump needs to come out immediately after the dash)

16. BB, dash, 2H, air combo (you can leave out the 2H and go right into a dashing air combo, but it's harder)

17. WT, GF FRC, BB, dash, 2H, air combo (you can leave out the 2H and go right into a dashing air combo but it's harder)

For 2-3, you can replace the starting 2K with 5K for some extra damage, but you don't get the low hit.

For 2-4, if it connects you can replace the ending 2S with a 2D and do BR or VV for some extra damage.

For 4, 5P can whiff on some characters, so you might want to consider 2P instead.

For 14, leave out the j.S on light characters.

For 17, the GF needs to be delayed slightly so it doesn't put your opponent too high, and the BB needs to come out right away, otherwise they can tech. This one will be pretty tough until you get GF FRC down.

Dustloops (some basic setups first, just about all of which require your opponent to be in the corner, and then the loops):

- WT, dash underneath, 2H, JC

- BR, RC first hit, j.D, land, 2H, JC (you can leave out the 2H and go right to jump, j.D, but it's harder)

- j.D (low to the ground), land, 2H, JC

- 6P, 5H, JC

- GF FRC, jump

- GF, jump, j.K, basic dustloop (can't do the running one here)

- CH 2D, GF (preferably FRC'd, but, again, you can connect with a j.K without), jump

- BB, 2H, JC (you can leave out the 2H and go right to j.D, but it's harder)

- WT (from a little less than a half-screen from the corner), dash, jump, running dustloop (can't do the basic one here)

- WT (from half-screen or less), GF FRC, BB, dash, 2H, JC

- (setup), [j.D, JC, wait, j.S, j.D, land, dash, jump,] corner air combo (basic dustloop)

- (setup), j.D, j.D, [land, dash, jump, j.D, j.D,] corner air combo (running dustloop, also shown in the banner at the top of the site. =P Thanks for mentioning this, Abominable K! I completely forgot about it =/)

The stuff in brackets can be repeated. For the basic dustloop, I usually just do one (which also doesn't require a dash) and don't repeat anything. For the running dustloop, I usually go for two or three reps. Also, being able to GF FRC consistently is more important than dustlooping. =P Oh, and the basic dustloop is a LOT easier, so I'd recommend focusing on that one first.

One more thing: the "wait" for the basic dustloop is so that you end up falling with your opponent. You basically want the j.S to hit the top of their hitbox, and the j.D to hit the bottom. Also, make sure you do the JC right away after the first j.D, otherwise you definitely won't be "falling with" your opponent.

Oh, and just an FYI, look for some Sol #R combo vids on youtube. Not everything on those is practical, but enough is to be worth your time. =)

Hope this helps!

I'm pretty sure he means XX#Reload for Xbox, which I bought a few weeks ago.

I was joking. But to actually be a bit of help, I'll give the only thing I know about #Reload Sol: a Dustloop setup.

1) 236K (RC) -> j.S. -> j.D land, loop (See banner at the top of the site for the rest).

Thanks for the info guys and im gonna try that #R net. I hope its not as laggy as xbox live usually is. I have a question though. For the running dustloop do you have to jc the first j.D or do you just wait a bit to hit with the next dust.

if i remember correctly, after you connect the first j.D, you wait and link the second j.D, then you land and do a running jump, etc oh, and GGnet compared to Live, GGnet is smoother/more consistent

No dustloop requires a doublejump, but some are easier like vs Potemkin. VS Potemkin in corner you'd do WT jump towards Potemkin, D Potemkin will fly into the corner rather then into the field, dj.D->D land, rj.D->D, rj.D,dj.D->D, rj.K-D, dj.S-D, *VVK. Sol's combos are pretty simple: 1. anything that gets the opponent into air outside corner goes to either j.S,dj.S-H HVVK or sj.S-H HVVK 2. in corner it goes to dustloop(unless you fucked up somewhere, which can happen) into finisher, which is j.{K-}D,dj.S-D,*VVK 3. if the character is too light to dustloop(or you fucked up) you do j.D, dj.S-D, rj.K-D,dj.D HVVK. 4. standard ground combo 5K-S2D, BR { RC j.D -> dustloop } between the {} is optional. best way to position someone into the air is 5K2H(you can confirm sj or normal jump for dustloop starter) Pretty much anything that floats in the corner works as a dustloop setup(even normal throw). Best way to learn dustloop is by starting with really simple stuff: in corner 6P5H j.D->j.D, land, j.D->j.D, land, j.D->j.D and then you should end up out of range :P After that you start adding the running and after that you paste the finisher behind it. From 6P5H you can hit about 4 dusts before having to append the finisher.

Oh yeah, #r just became downloadable from Live. That explains all these posts for #r stuff.

Unfortunately most of our #r stuff got deleted, or was on gamecombos.com or romancancel.com which aren't around anymore.

but you can check out this guy's youtube channel for a bunch of #r vids

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=getterbeeeeeeeeeeem

He's got 100 videos of Faust beating the crap out of Jam, if the first 5 I watched were any indication :psyduck:

I have a question about the "basic" dustloop.

Which direction do you have to jumpcancel the j.D ? Neutral jump, or forward?

As Spirit Juice already said, it's forward. And just as an FYI, I called it a "basic" dustloop because it's the one I see Sol players go for most often online, probably because most can't do the other one. I've heard someone (I think it was Teyah) refer to it as the "ghetto loop," which is probably more appropriate, heh. It is easier than the running one imho, so I go for it a fair amount, but, as reaVer already pointed out, it's really not optimal.

Anyway, I have a couple of videos so you can actually see the loops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmE96cqIQ4E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7__ZH5qjaP8 at 0:35.

The first vid is someone doing three different dustloops in one, and the second "loop" he does is the one I called the "basic" one. However, he doesn't do the dash at the very end for some reason and gets pushed too far away for the VV knockdown. :psyduck:

The second vid is an old vid of 012 fighting a Zappa player. At 0:35 he does a super jumped dustloop into the "basic" (ghetto) dustloop.

EDIT:

He's got 100 videos of Faust beating the crap out of Jam, if the first 5 I watched were any indication :psyduck:

He's got more. =P Lots more, actually. The one I posted with 012 is from him.

3. if the character is too light to dustloop(or you fucked up) you do j.D, dj.S-D, rj.K-D,dj.D HVVK.

4. standard ground combo 5K-S2D, BR { RC j.D -> dustloop } between the {} is optional.

No character is too light to dustloop with a good setup, it just gets really hard to do with certain setups on certain characters, and the number of hits can be limited.

With proper setup on some characters, you can also do:

.. 2D, BR(1) RC, j.S, NJC j.D, j.D |> ...

That Dustloop setup works from almost 2/3 of the way across the field because the Normal Jump Cancel keeps your air speed. I think you need to Jump Install in #R though so don't forget that.

Also don't remember exactly where and when this is useful, but from some setups at mid screen you can do:

... j.D, air dash, j.K j.D |> ...

Which gets you a no tension dustloop setup from mid screen, although the timing is really hard of course.

Also don't forget Bandit Revolver loop. :I

You can't dustloop Jam, Bridget or May amongst certain others. You can dustloop Millia but its too hard to be consistent. And that BR combo you gave is possible with j.D instead of j.S.

You have to use j.S because you can't NJC from j.D to j.D. You can do it closer to the corner with just j.Ds, but you can do it from almost the opposite corner with j.S instead. And yes you can dustloop all of those characters. You just can't do it nearly as easily or get as many reps. Generally I could only get 6 j.D's on a character like Jam and only with tight timing, although I'm sure it's possible to get more.

No, 6 is the maximum, and you can't do it in a loop either, it starts off with j.D->j.D but then you gotta pull shenanigans to keep her in the combo. And using j.D instead of j.S is demonstrated in #Reload astray from 2/3s in the screen.

If you mean you can't do 6 j.Ds in a row by themselves, yes you can, you can do that on anyone in the game and it's not even that hard to do. Also feel free to link me to whatever '#Reload Astray' is so I can see how he does the combo without a j.S.

Jam/Dizzy can be looped without too much trouble (May/Bridget are sometimes tricky) using the [*j.D-D, land, pause, rejump] x 3, then end with the standard ender. Although depending on the launcher, it may be tough to get all of the reps in. Millia can go longer since she's not as light, up to a full dustloop, and IIRC rj.D-D reps can work on her as well.

omg thx guys so much. I am trying to do the normal dustloop now, so no jump cancels, just linking.. but somehow most of the time simply there is no time for the second dust. Sol lands before the second dust could come out. What can be the reason of this? No running?(though I think I do running jumps) I only could do the linking once and don't know how.