9TNine

[Xrd] I-No Gameplay Discussion

So, dash > airdash can be input as 66956.  This is pretty easy on both pad and stick, so it should work out for you.  Now that VCL recovers faster, it's possible to frame trap with this, and it might actually be safe enough to block some DPs.

The other method is VCL YRC.  VCL is active for 11 frames, so most characters can't backdash the whole thing.  Besides that, if you YRC you're just barely in the air, so you can do an immediate overhead, or land and go low.  The screen freeze on the YRC will let you react to a reversal's startup so you'll know to hold FD block in the air instead, which will let you punish the reversal.

If you don't want to spend meter and you don't have the time for the fast fall VCL done out of 66956, you can shoot a note to try to get them to block.

One of I-No's strongest point is her oki and setplay (given her changes and the Xrd mechanic changes, it's probably her strongest point now), so you're right about it being essential.  Anyway, even though I-No is significantly easier than before when she had her 5K > HCL > 6FRC6 stuff to worry about, she's still hard.  That IAD stuff is a 2-frame link if I remember right.  If you really like I-No, don't get discouraged and keep it up.

By the way everyone, I-No's colors were recently found and posted.  Here's a link.  I'm going to save copies of the images, crop them, and put them on the wiki.  I'm working on other wiki stuff right now though so it'll be a while.  Looks like a collection of images was posted here.

*Edit*  Also noticed that f.S is seriously less shitty with dash cancel, though it's still pretty shitty.

So a good way to do j.D fdc when you have a burst available is to hold 2 buttons, do j.D, then tap back.  You can hide the button holds in a variety of ways.  If you want to do j.d>fdc off a jump cancel you can do the jump cancellable normal, hold that button and quickly hold another button, jump, do j.D, then tap back.  

I'm a noon wat is fs?

Far Slash

I was just fooling around with Dash< air dash and I come to the conclusion that 4444 works goods on pad but May seem over helming I couldn't do it at all at first into I counted with my finger going 1-2-3-4 swiftly into VCH and it was always safe jump VCH so I'm guessing that wouldn't work on a stick since it's not just your thumb moving

So a good way to do j.D fdc when you have a burst available is to hold 2 buttons, do j.D, then tap back.  You can hide the button holds in a variety of ways.  If you want to do j.d>fdc off a jump cancel you can do the jump cancellable normal, hold that button and quickly hold another button, jump, do j.D, then tap back.  

Ah ok, I would hold one button (K or S depending on what I used), then double jump > j.D and immediately hit back+P.  I didn't think of holding two buttons down ahead of time so that the back input would be enough to trigger FD.  I'll experiment with this tomorrow.  I felt like I was getting pretty good at doing it with a burst stocked, but this sounds way more consistent.

Why would that tech be useful

j.D causes a shift in your air momentum.  If you use it while rising you'll fall immediately, and if used while falling you'll float a tiny bit.  The idea is that if you get someone blocking and jump cancel out of anything, you can j.D FDC to immediately start to land.  This lets you use near-instant overheads out of stuff like 5K and c.S, and also increase your mixup options off of j.S and j.D when you HD in.  The removal of landing recovery almost makes up for 2S not being a low - before you could 5K or c.S and either TK Sdive as an overhead starter or go into 2S for a low starter, but now TK dive isn't a starter anymore (it knocks down even if you spend meter) and 2S doesn't hit low.  If you were to jump cancel into j.D FDC you'll drop immediately, and have the option of landing with an overhead or landing and going for the low/throw.  You can also do it late out of the jump to have more time for your overhead to start up (for example j.S) or to attempt a cross up.  However, you can't gatling to j.D and be able to FDC it.  It has to be used raw out of a jump or hover dash.  Another use would be to repeatedly float to try and stall to make an AA whiff.  However, you're using FD, even if only for a second, so it'll cost you a little bit of meter to use and prorate your meter gain for several seconds following it.  It's a super powerful tool but there are enough checks in place to keep it from breaking the game even if players could do it 100% of the time with a burst.

It's funny because overall I-No is easier, but using j.D FDC without bursting is probably harder to do consistently than her old 5K > HCL > 6FRC6 stuff.  That stuff had more opportunities to mess up, but the windows weren't like 1-frame wide and didn't cause you to burst unintentionally if you ****ed up.  With I-No's redesign there's more emphasis on using j.D FDC to compensate for some of the other tools she lost.

Why couldn't i just get a nice blue color???? Ugh, green i-no it is 

I hate this too.  Of the default colors the blue is my favorite.  I don't think you get it if you buy the DLC color pack either, which is bogus.  At least the DLC has "Koichi purple", "Fire Mario", and a couple of other good colors in there.

Oh yeah, so another thing I had noticed was that the issue I had with double jumping out of YRC... turns out it's like a minimum height requirement or something?  Kind of odd since you can YRC HCL or VCL and have enough height to dash, but if you want to double jump you have to be higher in the air.  I realized it when trying to double jump after TKing SM and YRCing it.  If I jumped higher before using SM YRC, I could double jump, but if I TK'd SM YRC I couldn't double jump.  :psyduck:

Ah ok, I would hold one button (K or S depending on what I used), then double jump > j.D and immediately hit back+P.  I didn't think of holding two buttons down ahead of time so that the back input would be enough to trigger FD.  I'll experiment with this tomorrow.  I felt like I was getting pretty good at doing it with a burst stocked, but this sounds way more consistent.

If you want to do it off a 5K, you would press and hold 5K and quickly press and hold a button of your choice (so fast so the gatling doesn't come), then you would jump cancel, press j.D, and finally tap back.  If you wanted to j.D fdc out of a dash with this method, you wold dash and hold two buttons to use for FD during the uncancellable frames of the dash.

Oh yeah, so another thing I had noticed was that the issue I had with double jumping out of YRC... turns out it's like a minimum height requirement or something?  Kind of odd since you can YRC HCL or VCL and have enough height to dash, but if you want to double jump you have to be higher in the air.  I realized it when trying to double jump after TKing SM and YRCing it.  If I jumped higher before using SM YRC, I could double jump, but if I TK'd SM YRC I couldn't double jump.  :psyduck:

If you want to double jump out of VCL YRC, you have to jump install.  Auto-JI on HCL and VCL only applies to airdashes so if you want to jump out of them you have to do it the old fashioned way.  

I'm sorry guys I'm a bit confused I'm used to zanky low techy persona

TK:

SM:

C.s:

HD:

Sdive:

TK:  Tiger Knee

SM:  Sterilization Method which is her command throw  214H and j.214H

C.s:  Close Slash

HD:  Hover Dash

Sdive:  Slash version of her air dive.  j.236S

Why couldn't i just get a nice blue color???? Ugh, green i-no it is 

Duuuude I know. I rocked the HS blue color in #Reload, and they didn't include one :( I'm also using the #2 color green one right now haha.

That's a pretty sick find. 

I was trying to practice this the other day with +R (don't have the game yet lol). and thought I should just rage burst early so I can utilize this lol.

Good to know there's a way to not accidentally burst while using this technique.

I think another good way is to buffer with a Hoverdash > j.K or j.S after a knockdown. It'll look like you're setting up for a high/low on the 2nd Hoverdash but you go for the cross up FD cancel instead. 

The IAD stuff is tight, but otherwise there's a lot more leniency than before.  I-No used to need to be able to '5K > HCL > 6FRC6' stuff.  Before, HCL's input was 632146, so you had to do that input in the hitstop of 5K because there's only 1 frame of leniency there, and you had to manually jump install (jump cancel the 5K AND do the input for HCL).  Besides that, the cancel window to cancel (FRC - it's kinda like YRC) was only 2 frames wide, and you had to buffer a dash within 4 frames of the cancel or the dash wouldn't come out (you'd land).  Hence, you'd split the input as 6 > press 3 buttons simultaneously > 6.  There's so many places in that tiny string where you could flub the input by 1 frame... and then after doing it, the follow up was character dependent, and also depended on their height and distance from you and distance from the corner.  You'd use it to get combos off of Sdive (an overhead starter), STBT (a low starter), as well as mid combo after Sdives or STBT, or in the corner if you wanted to spend meter to optimize damage, or mid screen to push them into the corner.

So, for those of us that have played I-No for a while, this is a welcome change because she's a little easier, though still hard (heh :roboky:).  It's still going to take a few weeks to get used to the differences, but it's better than the few years it took before.  If you really like I-No and stick with it you can get it no problem.

Anyway, I-No does have some simpler stuff that you can probably use while you learn her neutral game and defense and such.  It's just that the IAD combos lead to good damage and account for most of her corner push.  It looks like most damage in this game is done in the corner, so corner push is really important to get down.  I'll try to get some simpler combos into the combo section later.

Found another way to do the j.D FDC if its easier for people, I found it was for me.

Instead of holding down the 2 buttons then doing j.d > tap back, I found holding one button then j.d and the 2nd button right after + tap back all in one smooth motion works. Note that this has to be done pretty damn quick. So for example you would do 5k (hold) > j.D(S and hold) and tap back. You do the J.D > S (hold) > tap back all in one quick smooth motion starting with J. D, but make sure you dont hit them all at the same time or you will burst. Has to be done in succession 

If you played SF4 it feels like doing a plink from J.D to either K or S, that kind of speed maybe slightly slower., or if you played soul calibur it feels like a slide input. 

This might be way more complicated for all I know, but I like it at the moment. Just thought I'd share. Sorry if the notation is off I couldn't figure out the best way to type it since it's kinda weird?

The way I gave for j.D fdc is so you will NEVER get an accidental burst.  Your method makes it just as hard with a burst as the normal method.

The way I gave for j.D fdc is so you will NEVER get an accidental burst.  Your method makes it just as hard with a burst as the normal method.

This is true, my brain just likes it with my hands at the moment since I'm used to plinks as muscle memory already. But the 2 button is optimal in the long run

I made some updates to I-No's wiki.  Thanks Hollysmoke for updating the images!  A couple aren't there... not sure if you're still working on it or if I should do it, but I got some captions in and some move descriptions, as well as the gatling tree in the frame data page.  Also edited some of the info at the top of the page.

I'm trying out this other method for j.D FDC and while I'm flubbing it kinda frequently, it's pretty awesome.  It'll take a while to get used to the timing of plinking j.D and 4 instead of j.D > j.P, but there's 0 risk of bursting, and it's not hard to be holding 2 buttons when you're attacking.  You can just plink j.S-j.K as you approach with j.S, or you can [j.K] > [j.S] > dj.D-4.  Wanna STBT YRC?  Just release one of the buttons and instant overhead.  I'm kinda surprised we don't see more j.D FDC use out of Japan with stocked bursts given how effective this tactic is and how easy it is compared to some of I-No's other stuff.  It's just weird and a little different.  Must be how Zato players feel when starting out.  Honestly, my success rate is pretty high for the time I've put in compared to the amount of time I've worked on the other method during +R just to prep for Xrd.

Thanks Coma, this is going to save me months of practice that would only apply to a handful of situations where I would want to j.D FDC.  Your method works great in pretty much every situation, and it'll keep my dick burst out of the peanut butter from being grabbed.

*Edit*  So after playing with dash cancels on normals more I've figured some stuff out.  f.S seems to let you cancel the earliest, but that still doesn't let you combo directly into anything.  I can't get it on CH either.  CH 2H lets you dash cancel for a combo so at least we have that.  :psyduck:

However, if a dash cancelable move hits or is blocked, you can dash cancel to Blitz Shield before leaving the ground, bypassing the dash start up.  I-No still says "Mada mada" or whatever.  You can also cancel into air moves immediately rather than after doing the initial dash animation.  You can cancel into dives, the air version of the command throw, and our air super.  You could have always canceled into ground specials so it doesn't really matter that you can do this with STBT and note and such (you can, and I-No will cut off her "Mada mada" with whatever she'd normally say).  This might lead to frame traps, but without some hard data I can't determine if we're actually at an advantage.  In most cases it really looks like we're disadvantaged, except with f.S.  The problem is that if you're at the range to use f.S, you're not close enough for any of our special moves to combo, and I don't think it's possible to cancel the dash startup into normals.  I can't get that to work.

So yeah, if anyone wants to record some footage so we can frame-by-frame it and determine the static difference on dash cancels, it'd be really helpful to us.  I wish I had a PS4 right now.

I was working on the images but then I got distracted by watching the videos of people playing D:

It's a little slow because I'm adding an alpha transparency so it looks nice on the wiki. Our girl deserves the best :B

I sent you a PM with some ideas so we don't flood the board with a back and forth.

I was working on the images but then I got distracted by watching the videos of people playing D:

It's a little slow because I'm adding an alpha transparency so it looks nice on the wiki. Our girl deserves the best :B

I sent you a PM with some ideas so we don't flood the board with a back and forth.

Hey Bro could i get those combos too please?

I've read both suggestion about jD FDC. (Plinking thing,and holding 2 buttons in quick succession).

But why not just using input priorities? I cannot test right now, but since:

D > P > K > S > HS

If you input, for example:

HD K+S (hold both) > jD~4

Ino should (visually) do:

HD K > jFD

without any risk to burst, no?

And you could do:

HD S+HS (hold both) > jD~4

if you want to jump cancel from jS.

I cannot test right now, but in theory, that should work.