9TNine

[Xrd] I-No Gameplay Discussion

What should I be doing against Faust? I'm having a ton of trouble against that character. Not sure how to really get any offense going against him, or how to keep it up since most combos and pressure strings drop on him.

how do you stop very jump happy players??? I'm finding may absolutely infuriating and this is also a problem with milia and chip 

Same, these jump happy players are hard to catch for me. Especially when they come at too high an angle for me to hit em.

What should I be doing against Faust? I'm having a ton of trouble against that character. Not sure how to really get any offense going against him, or how to keep it up since most combos and pressure strings drop on him.

Faust is probably I-No's worst matchup. All his normals can stuff I-No out of hoverdash and 5k, for example, can lead to massive damage and is easily confirmed. His far S has as much range as HCL and he runs under HCL, too. His j.H rules the air, you cannot win against it. If you manage to knock him down, he has 5D which is strike invuln. from frame 1 to 11, which he can YRC (lol, wtf) to completely evade your oki notes without risk. Your main oki tool against him is VCL YRC.

Your best bet is to try to stay out of his range and throw out notes until he blocks one or jumps over it and gives you an opportunity to hoverdash in, but that won't be an opportunity each time because he has j.2K and the head bomb to try to prevent you from doing this. At this point, it's mostly a long-range footsies game, with your HCL and air HCL being your main pokes.

But yeah, this is a shitty, shitty matchup : you're somewhat forced to play a long range game against a character who is top tier at it. Oh, watch out for those hammers, I-No gets stunned by about 2 CH hammers.

Same, these jump happy players are hard to catch for me. Especially when they come at too high an angle for me to hit em.

Have you tried using 663 to take the fight to them?

how do you stop very jump happy players??? I'm finding may absolutely infuriating and this is also a problem with milia and chip 

Abuse air throw whenever you can, you'll get used to it eventually (on reaction). I-no's air throw range is huge in Xrd, and against some characters with weird hitboxes like Ram or Elph you can get some ridiculous and funny looking air throws.

Otherwise you can try to 6P if they are on the proper range, or ocasionally 6H.

Ive been really trying to git gud at hoverdash > air dash but no real luck yet. I'd say I'm sitting below 30% success rate with it in actual matches. When I practice in training mode my input display shows im doing it correctly almost all the time but it still doesnt come out consistently. 

I was wondering if anyone could record them doing it on stick so I can see the actual hand inputs easier. 

Yeah, I had quite a lot of matches with a Ram player and what I did is just being always near to her whenever possible and abuse of HCL and SM in reactions so that you don't let her summon her bats, I even won a match against her with the command throw as a final blow :yaaay:

What is really the most annoying thing about Ram-chan though is not even that at all or her overdrives, but rather her j.P. Seriously, everytime I try to do something she just starts spamming this again and again and doesn't really let me any chance to counter effectively without being punished in the ground afterwards.

I had one online match last night against a competent Ram player.  Seems like a lot of her grounded attacks cause her to contort in ways that she low profiles under things.  If you manage to IB the hits before her overhead, it's like a haymaker with a full back swing that goes under your punish.  What I think is her 5K has a deceptively good hitbox that goes through lots of stuff, and she seems to have many low profile moves that she can use at neutral.  I'm going to need to look into this matchup more.  Even though a lot of her stuff is - on block and should be punishable, her range makes it difficult to get anything.

Sucks playing Ram or Zato online since you need a lot of precision to deal with them, and that's gone with variable delay.  Also, Ram's hitbox is a bitch to combo.  Her dress is part of it so you can hit her at weird angles, but when she's in longer hit stun in the air she tends to lean back, which causes dive loops to whiff on her.  Her light weight helps with VCL loop, but just makes it more of a pain when you want to dive loop or just get knockdown at the end of a combo.

I also struggle to land much on Ram midscreen after an IAD starter.

I can really only land j.S xx HCL ~ VCL, even j.P j.S double jump j.S seems to whiff at the first j.S.

Although for the moment I'm basically just doing starter > super jump > j.S j.HS xx 236S against everyone that isn't Millia for the knockdown.

That info came from the 4Gamer wiki.  I've tried it with meaty lows and haven't been able to reversal over them.  Can you be more specific with the test you're using?  Maybe it's still frame-1 airborne but doesn't go as high off the ground, which would mean it's better for beating throws than we currently think.

Also, I played a bit more with my friend today and VCL was trading hits with Sol's 2D.  :vbang:

Command grab set ups!? ^^

Damn I've been looking at I-no sets to try to find some but I can't find them anymore. They are lost in my playlists.

@TheRealBobMan

I was trying to find an answer to Elphelt unblockable loop and was able to be hit airborn by the grenade (so the snipe hit me in the air, but wasnt hit by grenade explosion).

And I've tried vs ino 2K > 2S > 2D > note (input 2) to be meaty, and was hit airborne.

Same vs potemkin meaty 5K on my wakeup. (im testing right now). Im getting counterhit airborne.

After doing some recording with VCL vs Wild Throw, it does appear that VCL (and I would assume HCL) are airborne frame 1.

Edit: Tested HCL just now and it also appears to be frame 1 airborne. Command grab is frame 9 airborne as listed as well.

Ok, later on I'll try to reproduce this with HCL and after I've confirmed both of them I'll update the wiki.  Or someone else could do it before then.  I'm going to be going out later and I have some stuff to do now so I don't know if I'll get to it today.

Ugh, I'd much rather have had HCL just go airborne on 2 and have the same hitbox so you couldn't reversal with it but still had the option to beat lows clean.  Trading hits with a sweep when you're in the air sucks.  YRC will probably help alleviate the problem because she'll cancel to her airborne hitbox from what's basically j.D (her leg gets pretty close to the ground).  Needing to spend 25% to beat a low rather than only needing 25% to FRC to get something for beating the low is still a nerf though, besides the fact that we can't reversal against lows anymore.

Im having some problems against certain characters like May and Faust. It feels like whenever they start crouch blocking and i try to dash and use J.S, the crouching attacks end up low profiling it and I get beat. Not sure how to start pressure if this keeps happening.

Either use j.K to make your hitbox smaller vertically and land on them with the added active frames, or delay the j.S a bit by dashing for a few extra frames, or if you have meter you can use VCL YRC.  I guess it kinda depends on the move that's beating you.  Those should work on things like Faust 2P, but if May is using 3K it might be hard to land on her with j.S's active frames.  Experiment with it a little bit in training mode.

forgot about this thread lol. anyone know if there is a special input for ino for cancel an air normal into jd fd? i've seen OSCA do it but I dont know how she does it.

You have to jump cancel the normal, you can't do it within a chain since the j.D has to be done at a neutral state.

ooooohhhh.... you just blew my mind... thanks

j.K isn't jump cancel-able?