9TNine

[Xrd] I-No Gameplay Discussion

I'm sure it's been discussed in here but there are a lot of pages to go through, but are there any tips for doing hover dash into air dash? I see the notation 66956 a lot but..I have no clue if I'm doing that right because it never comes out. I usually just do 66666 when I'm on p1 side and it comes out 70% of the time, and I can barely do it at all on p2. Would be nice to get it down consistently.

I got to playing around again with the old Potemkin crouching confirm IAD combos showcased at the start of this video (which were, btw, possible in 1.0) and found a series that could consistently get full corner-to-corner carry on the big lug into a meaty note.  Near as I can tell, there's a bit of a trick at getting the spacing for the initial rep right (so that your j.K-S doesn't overshoot).  Here's my findings so far:

Example starters to set correct spacing:

- Point-blank j.K, [5K/2P]-[c.S/2S]-

- Point-blank j.H, 5P-2S-

- Point-blank j.S, 5P-2S- (finicky depending how high your j.S was)

- I-no-length-away 2S- (i.e. not quite a back-dash away. A landed match-start distance dash j.S or a j.H from slightly further-out will put you there)

- A slightly closer 2K-2S

- Almost (but not-quite) point-blank 2K-c.S-

- Any (?) airdash j.S-H, 5P-2S-

- Point-blank [j.S-K]/[j.K-S], c.S-

- Point-blank j.K-P, 5P-2S-

Rest of the combo:

5H jc IAD j.K-S-H, 2S-5H jc IAD j.K-S-H, 5H jc IAD j.K-S-H, 2D (xx 214P)

Damage ranges from 123 off 2K-2S to 185 off of j.S, 2S starter.

Starting the combo from half-screen or closer means you'll probably want to drop the post-IAD 2S and just use the first or third combo featured in the video.

Otherwise, know that I strongly recommend always using the same timing for the j.H at the end of the IAD string.  The delayed j.H obviously lets you link the 5H, but also ensures there's not too much push-back before the 2S, which would also cause the combo to drop.  My timing cue is something like: Dial in the j.K-S immediately and then delay the j.H to the moment right where you know I-No starts to lose the forward momentum and descend from the airdash.  

EDIT: 186 off of airdash j.S-H, (slightly-delayed) c.S opener.  You can get a little more damage off of comboing into HCL at the end too, which might make sense if blitzing the meaty note turns out to cause problems.

I always did 23623664+S for hover dash instant air super to bait anti-hover pokes, didn't know about the other shortcut. Works great in the air too, 2362364+S

Bwuh?  All this time I thought I learned this from you on one of your ACP streams a few years ago. o.O

I don't really like that I-No still gets rejected with the note if the opponent is near her, that means you can't even call the note after a knockdown with K/S Dive unless you get that distance from the opponent with CH and you have to do 2K with the risk of getting a reversal throw, and I tried to do stuff like HCL>DCL>RC> charged S Dive but it doesn't seem to be worth of it, instead spending that meter for Ultimate Fortissimo is still your best option.

Use note YRC. Also, back step HCL YRC to bait Blitz. Note YRC is one of her best options. After Dive KD you have time to backstep note YRC and get good mixup.

If you are mixing up all of her offensive options on oki (which is a lot), you won't get blitzed cause they won't have anything to read since your oki is so varied.

I'm sure it's been discussed in here but there are a lot of pages to go through, but are there any tips for doing hover dash into air dash? I see the notation 66956 a lot but..I have no clue if I'm doing that right because it never comes out. I usually just do 66666 when I'm on p1 side and it comes out 70% of the time, and I can barely do it at all on p2. Would be nice to get it down consistently.

There's a minimum height restriction and you might be doing it too fast. It's more like 6[6]956 so that I-no gains a little bit of height during the hover dash.

Use note YRC. Also, back step HCL YRC to bait Blitz. Note YRC is one of her best options. After Dive KD you have time to backstep note YRC and get good mixup.

If you are mixing up all of her offensive options on oki (which is a lot), you won't get blitzed cause they won't have anything to read since your oki is so varied.

I'll try that thanks, and probably using vertical hover dash more often now to not let them get away of the note.

I read that her command grab now has above the knees invul, so I've been testing it out to see how well it can be used as an AA. So far, I've mostly tested it on Sol doing IAD j.S j.HS, after a f.HS, and she can command grab him out of it (which, while she could do normal throw, I don't think she could command grab him in pre-patch). However, how useful it is as an AA is still iffy. It can't be done late, but it does seem to work more as an early one (she can grab sol out of his j.HS for example). However some moves still beat it out like Chipp's j.D (but I did grab him out of it at times as well). 

I'll try to play around with it more later, and if someone could try it out themselves to help out, it'd be appreciated. It seems that the grab doesn't get any invul until right before she leaves the ground (hence early AA), so it won't be replacing 6P as an AA, but knowing what we can use it for is still useful.

I didn't bother to test it out, I assumed not just because the patch notes on srk didn't specify the air one (plus wouldn't really make much sense I guess) but it's something worth testing out.

I tested the air one and it seems to have some type of invul on it as well. I've been doing a lot of dash -> immediate air throw to beat obvious airdash attempts.

I straight up TK SM'd Air Bridal express an inch of the ground as an AA. Welcome to the new era of scoops.

There's a minimum height restriction and you might be doing it too fast. It's more like 6[6]956 so that I-no gains a little bit of height during the hover dash.

Yeah, I'm most likely doing it too fast. Guess I just gota grind out the timing.

thanks on the note yrc tip for another oki setup. been trying to look for something to do other than VCL YRC. should hover dash VCL beat wake up blitz? i feel like i have to always keep in mind that the enemy will always look to wake up blitz cos of the blitz change

thanks on the note yrc tip for another oki setup. been trying to look for something to do other than VCL YRC. should hover dash VCL beat wake up blitz? i feel like i have to always keep in mind that the enemy will always look to wake up blitz cos of the blitz change

If they are mashing on wakeup blitz you will have a field day counter hitting them to death. Really not a good look.

Watch JP vids, you still have to respect her oki at all times. Not worth throwing your game away off of a guess.

Reversal Blitz just makes oki Fortissimo that much better.

Except for that 1 time out of 10 where your fortissimo motion wasn't clean and VCL came out & you got blitzed. Then opponent feels themselves but you know what's really up :-(

Sometimes I still get VCL even with the input window buff & easier ODs

Except for that 1 time out of 10 where your fortissimo motion wasn't clean and VCL came out & you got blitzed. Then opponent feels themselves but you know what's really up :-(

Sometimes I still get VCL even with the input window buff & easier ODs

:yaaay: That's me! 

Preach Mynus!

So some defensive stuff I've been doing that helps are j'FDC to fake a jump out, (maybe AA them after for trying to catch you)

and super jump or 663 hold dive YRC > dash. 

Warning! 

These are very situational and will get you blown up if you don't use it correctly.

I was wondering if any of you guys have any defensive tech? Correct me if I'm wrong but for the most part we talk about offensive tech.(which makes sense because of I-No's playstyle)

I've been focusing a lot on defense lately and it's been helping my win ratio a lot more now.

Another thing that I've taken from Japanese players vs Leo is 6P grab OS at a range where Leo has a hard time converting off of combos standing. This is usually almost max range far slash for Leo where they think about berserker slashing. Challenging with 6P grab OS has worked really well in clutch situations where I feel the pressure of Leo is weak. 

Again if you guys have any defensive tech or overall knowledge to blow up situations let us know.  :)

I would say that the best defensive options are the universal ones. FD, Blitz, backdash YRC, IB, dead angle, and chicken guard. If your using all of that stuff I don't think you need any character specific tech really, more about knowing when and where to apply each in the different match ups.

The only Ino specific defensive stuff I know of is waking up with ground super or air super. Maybe I'll wake up with VCL once in a while if they have trouble converting an airborne hit they weren't expecting or doing gapped pressure with lows. That's all I can really say on the subject personally lol

As far as I-No-specific defensive options go, don't forget j.D FDC. It can bait an opponent into an air-to-air commitment, cause certain corner setups to cross up when the attacker doesn't expect it, punish obvious command throws (I've even punished Zato Nobiru-covered command-throws thanks to the forward momentum), and help navigate around zoning, among other things. I'm not going to say that you should mash it during pressure or anything, but hilariously enough I've had that work out on occasion.

j.D FDC is good on jump-ins too for making the opponent react with an anti-air, but falling in later so that the anti-air whiffs, leaving them open for a jump-in punish. At worst you block the anti-air, and it will make them hesitate on anti-airs regardless.

Speaking of j.D FDC, the first part of this video shows an advanced application: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26289745

It's basically jump cancel 6FDC6 to get a really low IAD. It's kind of like gatling into HCL 6FRC6 from pre-Xrd. Not only is the air dash lower than a normal IAD, but this 6FDC6 lets you do a blockstring into air dash pressure without the meter cost or time freeze of HCL YRC. The most obvious applications are A) catching people who fall asleep while holding down-back, and B) punishing people who mash because they expect STBT after 5HS.

The inputs after 5HS: 9 5 6 4+FD 6. It's not 956 like a normal IAD. You're jumping, returning to neutral, and then manually inputting an air dash with 66 and a j.D FDC somewhere in between. You can hit the j.D at the same time as the first 6 or the 4. Personally, I prefer pressing 6+j.D rather than 4+j.D but be sure to try both methods out.

This is actually really hard lol. I practiced for over an hour and only got it twice at the lowest possible height. Sometimes I would get the 6FDC6 but it would be too high. 95% of the time I wouldn't get the 6FDC6 at all. Gonna practice some more tomorrow.

Hey, it's like it's AC I-No all over again!

(nice find BTW, this is really useful)

(edit: this WOULD be useful if i actually could friggin do it, that shit seems insane. Wouldn't doing 5H > 9j.DFDC6 enough though? Since 96 is enough for IAD)

That sounds absolutely disgusting but ridiculously difficult. Thanks for the explanation, I couldn't tell immediately from the video.