9TNine

[Xrd] I-No Gameplay Discussion

5H has always had foot invul, just not on frame 1, generally good poke to beat people who have tendencies to do lows at range, like Chipp 2D

Having hard time on what to do after an successful blitz shield,  not sure whats the optimal thing to do 

Been working on safe setups against DPers. Some people may know about these, but I figure the majority might not so these will be useful to know and utilize (2nd video more importantly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s77LcivbHzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CglZD1_MzfA

In the first one, this is just off a midscreen starter combo, thought it was interesting and seemed to work

The 2nd video is REALLY helpful though. Basically if you do a quick hoverdash (just tap 66) and then a j.S or j.K on their wakeup at the right time, it becomes a safe hoverdash. If they wakeup DP, you can block and punish. If they don't, they have to block the incoming j.S/j.K. This can't be thrown or jabbed on wakeup either.

I backed up a bit in the video before doing an HCL, but just to note that it doesn't matter on the range. You just have to time it well enough to get it on their wakeup where it becomes safe. I'm working on seeing if you can whiff certain moves then go in to make the timing more "setplay", but because the nature of the HCL combos on the ground can really change the distance, I don't think that will work. This might have to be something to learn the timing on habitually.

I tested the same setups on Ky and Axl (only others I know of that have a wakeup DP), and it works for them all.

Been working on safe setups against DPers. Some people may know about these, but I figure the majority might not so these will be useful to know and utilize (2nd video more importantly).

[vid]

[vid]

In the first one, this is just off a midscreen starter combo, thought it was interesting and seemed to work

The 2nd video is REALLY helpful though. Basically if you do a quick hoverdash (just tap 66) and then a j.S or j.K on their wakeup at the right time, it becomes a safe hoverdash. If they wakeup DP, you can block and punish. If they don't, they have to block the incoming j.S/j.K. This can't be thrown or jabbed on wakeup either.

I backed up a bit in the video before doing an HCL, but just to note that it doesn't matter on the range. You just have to time it well enough to get it on their wakeup where it becomes safe. I'm working on seeing if you can whiff certain moves then go in to make the timing more "setplay", but because the nature of the HCL combos on the ground can really change the distance, I don't think that will work. This might have to be something to learn the timing on habitually.

I tested the same setups on Ky and Axl (only others I know of that have a wakeup DP), and it works for them all.

I really like the timing on the meaty 66956 j.K from the midscreen combo, but I'll have to play around to see how it's affected from comboing into HCL~D at various heights, because there are characters the ffVCL > j.S link won't work on.

In video 2, you stumbled on a key aspect of I-No fundamentals, and it is something that you want to be able to do consistently off of any HCL/dive/stray knockdown you can when playing around potential reversals.  With practice, it won't feel "setplay-y", as you internalize your opponent's wake-up timing and the start-up on their reversal options, and just manually time it.  Use it with short dashes; use it with held dashes and let go a bit with the right timing; use it with FDC hops now... the sky's the limit, my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s77LcivbHzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CglZD1_MzfA

Nice. Would the second one work after a combo into knockdown or do they have to be a specific range?

I really like the timing on the meaty 66956 j.K from the midscreen combo, but I'll have to play around to see how it's affected from comboing into HCL~D at various heights, because there are characters the ffVCL > j.S link won't work on.

In video 2, you stumbled on a key aspect of I-No fundamentals, and it is something that you want to be able to do consistently off of any HCL/dive/stray knockdown you can when playing around potential reversals.  With practice, it won't feel "setplay-y", as you internalize your opponent's wake-up timing and the start-up on their reversal options, and just manually time it.  Use it with short dashes; use it with held dashes and let go a bit with the right timing; use it with FDC hops now... the sky's the limit, my friend.

Agreed. I know someone posted this before but I don't think a lot of people saw it so I figured a video would showcase this to everyone else. I haven't tried messing with FDC hops for this as I don't want to overwhelm myself with the options but that just sounds dirty. I feel bad for people who have to play against high level I-No, so many mixups...

Edit: also do you know which characters ffVCL> j.S doesn't work on? So far I've found it works on everyone but the j.S > j.H doesn't work on everyone so I just remove the j.H to get slightly less damage but at least a full combo.

@Heroking, it will work after any combo into knockdown whether it be an HCL, dive, throw, 2D. etc. The key thing is that you get the timing right on the wakeup. See Essay's post above for some tips.

Hello guys! Sorry if this is the wrong thread for it but I have a question. What super jump notation do you guys use for ino when doing the super jump for chars like sol who drop out of regular jump air dash style combos?? Im asking because I accidentally get tiger knee dives which makes it impossible to super jump instant air dash into her normals :(.

Any tips??

Hello guys! Sorry if this is the wrong thread for it but I have a question. What super jump notation do you guys use for ino when doing the super jump for chars like sol who drop out of regular jump air dash style combos?? Im asking because I accidentally get tiger knee dives which makes it impossible to super jump instant air dash into her normals :(.

Any tips??

buffer the super jump after the 5H, so do 28 or 19 (whatever is easier) then just 66 once youre in the air and get the linking j.K > j.S

Guys, I found the next new I-No tech, get cracking in the lab :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx__i9sRowk&feature=youtu.be

Been having some trouble with the j.s cross up off fdc, when I try to do it she doesn't turn around so I assume i'm inputting wrong. could someone tell me the inputs for getting her to turn around and get the low j.s off the fdc? 

http://youtu.be/xvYtgL7Z8Eo?t=6m15s quick example 

Guys, I found the next new I-No tech, get cracking in the lab :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx__i9sRowk&feature=youtu.be

That's called a prefect satellite IIRC.

She could do this in AC games too. 

Been having some trouble with the j.s cross up off fdc, when I try to do it she doesn't turn around so I assume i'm inputting wrong. could someone tell me the inputs for getting her to turn around and get the low j.s off the fdc?

http://youtu.be/xvYtgL7Z8Eo?t=6m15s quick example

You have to super jump j.d fdc

That's called a prefect satellite IIRC.

She could do this in AC games too. 

I think I'm going to use it to troll when I'm up a huge amount of life and meter, just looks hilarious.

I just noticed i have this problem

so after performing cr.k, cr.S, hcl it whiffs on a standing faust  :psyduck: 

is it the hit animation or something because it's very frequent and i don't know what to do or if there's another combo route or something, help 

Sorry about the slow updates to the wiki and whatnot. My PS3 mainboard melted (Rip fatty, 2006-2015). Got a refurbished slim but I'm waiting for a HDD replacement. Once I get it I'll start re-updating everything.

I have a question that may or not be system related. I was testing out some damage with I-No from j.D and had the dummy set to only block the first hit. From this, the combo would do around 200 damage. But when I set him to block normally (after the first hit) and just did raw j.D, the combo did less damage by around 20 or so points of damage. Does anyone know why this is?

The first string the dummy blocked one hit then got hit by j.D right? If so, the move you used built some RISC/guard gauge therefore, you would do more damage from that combo than if there was no RISC/guard gauge built up. Hopefully that's what it was.

Fun fact/tech.

If you ever see a I-No player IAD back and j.HS they are basically OS'ing it into HCL or Note.

But did you know this technique is even stronger in the Zato match up?

If you see Eddie out in neutral you can IAD backwards j.HS~HCL OS to combo Eddie & Zato for a knock down. 

If you don't hit then you just get a whiff j.HS.

Taking out Eddie along with a knock down on Zato will put you one step forward to setplay, and that much closer to winning. 

Peace my I-No lovers. <3

Fun fact/tech.

If you ever see a I-No player IAD back and j.HS they are basically OS'ing it into HCL or Note.

But did you know this technique is even stronger in the Zato match up?

If you see Eddie out in neutral you can IAD backwards j.HS~HCL OS to combo Eddie & Zato for a knock down. 

If you don't hit then you just get a whiff j.HS.

Taking out Eddie along with a knock down on Zato will put you one step forward to setplay, and that much closer to winning. 

Peace my I-No lovers. <3

You mean just buffering the special with the normal, right? I didn't even think about this until you brought it up so kudos.