9TNine

[Xrd] I-No Gameplay Discussion

not a question for the stream tutorial

what's the best use of j.D in pressure? it seems like there are two meterless confirms off of it: 1 is corner j.D VCL, which is unsafe if blocked, and 2 is j.D jc j.S/j.H xx whatever, which A: can't be used if you already airdashed and B: seems like it puts you in an awful position if they blocked. I guess you could VCL YRC to try and navigate your way back down to the ground.

neither of these seems that great, so it looks like maybe 80% of the time you should be landing into 2k until they're convinced you aren't going to do the j.D. that about right?

Midscreen you can do jD > VCL > 5K/P > j.S > j.HS > HCL ~ D. When you hit the ground to do VCL, your air options reset anyways. j.D is just one of many tools in your kit for mix-ups. 

The best time to really use j.D in pressure is when you have at least 50% tension.  But I know you're talking about meterless confirms.  You can react to the j.D hitting with a VCL.  Takes some practice though but it is possible.  Still doesn't help that the j.D itself is unsafe if you don't have a jump cancel available.  I would recommend doing more j.D>FDCs though if you want that double overhead.

The best time to really use j.D in pressure is when you have at least 50% tension.  But I know you're talking about meterless confirms.  You can react to the j.D hitting with a VCL.  Takes some practice though but it is possible.  Still doesn't help that the j.D itself is unsafe if you don't have a jump cancel available.  I would recommend doing more j.D>FDCs though if you want that double overhead.

Considering you have to delay the VCL, it shouldn't really be too difficult to react too.

thanks matt. wish Xrd had come out before I moved so I could've learned from you!

From what im recently reading on japanese forums (if i understand correctly), it seems that instant air HCL (2147k) has a wider hitbox than grounded HCL. For example, it hits sol dashing (sol can go under grounded HCL while dashing), or even ky crouching... (in fact, only millia could dash under instant air HCL...even faust would get hit).

Can someone test it? (Im at work now)

quickly tested against sol, i got it to work though it's pretty strict on the motion. I didn't test against other stuff  cause its pretty late but if other people haven't by the time I wake up I'll try it against dash in's from chars plus low profile moves like el 2h.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA5qPDIhWpo

Thx for testing.

Here is the complete list of this trick (CGuard = Crouch Guard):

Regular HCL:

Crouch o CGuard o Dash o: Potem, Bedman

Crouch x CGuard x Dash o: Sin, Ky, May, Slayer, Ino, Ram, Venom, Leo, Zato

Crouch x CGuard x Dash x: Faust, Millia, Sol, Chipp, Axl, Elph

Instant Air HCL (2147K):

Crouch o CGuard o Dash o: Ky, Potem, Slayer, Ino, Bedman

Crouch x CGuard o Dash o: Sol, May, Ram, Venom, Zato, Sin

Crouch o CGuard x Dash o: Axl, Leo

Crouch x CGuard x Dash o: Elph, Chipp, Faust

Crouch x CGuard x Dash x: Millia

quickly tested against sol, i got it to work though it's pretty strict on the motion. I didn't test against other stuff  cause its pretty late but if other people haven't by the time I wake up I'll try it against dash in's from chars plus low profile moves like el 2h.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA5qPDIhWpo

Just by looking at this, it seems that it's not that the hitbox is wider, just that the move comes out at a lower altitude. I suspect it's not possible to YRC airdash out of it, it seems too low to the ground. Needs testing.

Does I-No have any good fuzzy OSes? I'm going to mess around with it later tonight and see if I can figure out anything but if anyone has a baseline I can work off to save time that'd be neat.

If your talking about the air command throw you can already get a good meter-less combo from it. I wouldn't think you'd add much damage by using PRC at the beginning

Does I-No have any good fuzzy OSes? I'm going to mess around with it later tonight and see if I can figure out anything but if anyone has a baseline I can work off to save time that'd be neat.

Do you mean high/low fuzzy?  I don't know about option selects, but vs at least Slayer and Zato I-No can do stuff like landing whatever > dj.K > dive.  It used to lead to a hell of a lot more though when Sdive actually worked to start combos... if you want to use a fuzzy with j.K and get more than a second hit into knockdown you pretty much have to spend some meter, though comboing into Fortissimo is probably your best bet for efficiency.

Anything interesting I can do off A Sterilization Method prc?

Uh...  you're either RCing on hit, which is unnecessary, or canceling on whiff.  If you're doing the airborne version you can YRC during active after the first active frame fails, which is ideal.  If you're doing it from the ground, it's PRC well before active.  There isn't much reason to intentionally PRC this move since you could always just RC whatever came before it if it's on hit/block, or YRC on whiff into the air version.  Basically, if you PRC the ground version of SM, it's because you went for it and realized as you were starting that it's a bad idea.  If that happens, you just want to deal with whatever made SM a bad idea.  If they already had a hitbox out, maybe all you can do is IB, or maybe you have meter for Fortissimo.

I guess there's some gimmicky stuff you can do, but none of it is worth the meter unless you're forced to do it.

Do you mean high/low fuzzy?  I don't know about option selects, but vs at least Slayer and Zato I-No can do stuff like landing whatever > dj.K > dive.  It used to lead to a hell of a lot more though when Sdive actually worked to start combos... if you want to use a fuzzy with j.K and get more than a second hit into knockdown you pretty much have to spend some meter, though comboing into Fortissimo is probably your best bet for efficiency.

I was wondering if you can hit deep enough with j.S to quickly get anything with it such as j.K fuzzy.

I know one fuzzy that works is doing a deep FFVCL on the opponents wake up into j.K. Pretty hard on IB, but you could always YRC if needed. But as Bob mentioned all you get is like a VCL knockdown unless you spend 50%

I feel like I tried jump slash and it didn't give enough block stun but I might be remembering that wrong.

j.S > dj.K works on tall enough characters.  It's hard to get anything when rising with j.K though.  Millia gets more off of this since she has meterless confirms with H-disc, Sol can go into air VV for a meterless confirm (air VV recovers fast enough to combo into 5K), Zato has Little Eddie to work with when using j.K > dj.K, etc.  So yeah, the mixup does work, you just don't get much off of it in this current state.  You might be able to get dj.K > dj.S > dj.H > 5P on Zato, but I think c.S would be too slow of a link after the j.H because of vertical positioning (would need a few extra frames to land).

What are you guys using for oki? I'm pretty much only doing 6696 into fastfall vcl or a low and adapting to what the foe might do on wakeup. Although this is working out amazingly well right now, I feel like I only scratched the surface of this characters mixup opportunity. Same for pressure, any strategies? Pressure is just me trying to reset back to neutral via frametrap, resetting pressure with a note or yrc, or trying to catch a jump, am I missing somethings?

Gonna upload some matches soon, maybe that would be a better way of asking for advice.

What are you guys using for oki? I'm pretty much only doing 6696 into fastfall vcl or a low and adapting to what the foe might do on wakeup. Although this is working out amazingly well right now, I feel like I only scratched the surface of this characters mixup opportunity. Same for pressure, any strategies? Pressure is just me trying to reset back to neutral via frametrap, resetting pressure with a note or yrc, or trying to catch a jump, am I missing somethings?

Gonna upload some matches soon, maybe that would be a better way of asking for advice.

Depends on the knockdown.

After K dive only options fast enough are IAD ambiguous crossup VCL YRC or just like hoverdash high/low/empty FD/throw.

After HCL~D depending on spacing there isn't really enough time to go for note before oki so something like 6696 FF-VCL (or j.D FDC) is perfect

After low P dive you can do basically anything and cover it with a note.  Note 6696 j.SKSK or j.KSKD or go low or empty (whiff j.P) into throw at any point in that string, the 6696 mixup is really stupid once you have a wide enough tree of mixup strings to go to from it, just have to train the opponent not to reversal first which is what FF-VCL safe jump is for.

It was pointed out to me a couple weeks ago that oki was the weakest part of my game (and I agreed) so I just watched a bunch of vids and took notes of every single oki setup I saw that I wasn't regularly using (thanks mynus and uuzen).  Just adding simple stuff like j.D FDC or hoverdash -> back-airdash double crossup to your game adds a ton to the effectiveness of your mixups.  I started winning a decent amount against players I just could not take games off of previously just by adding reversal baits and simple ambiguous crossups to my oki game.

Of course I'm still new at this too and probably only scratching the surface as well.

What you said has given me insight on several of her knockdown scenarios. Thank you.

However, I'm not ready to jd fdc and accidentally burst just yet.

jD FDC is a really good tool to learn. I'm still learning this tool though so Bob gave me some good advice on it a few weeks ago when I was practicing for a tournament :

Oki meaty crossup j.D FDC > j.K/j.S should beat most reversal attempts because it'll mess up their input (will not work against Leo's DP since it's a down>up charge move).

Oki crossup j.D FDC > delayed K/Sdive should be good when you've baited a reversal Blitz Shield (since you can't cross up a Blitz Shield). This will be even better post patch since we'll get combos off of the CH K/Sdives. You can expect that after getting crossed up a few times they'll try to reversal BS.

Oki crossup j.D FDC > 2K is good for calling them out after you've conditioned them to block overheads and can also beat Blitz Shield if they don't high/low with it properly (currently better reward than with a dive). Kind of risky if the other player wants to mash on wakeup and be disrespectful.

Oki j.D FDC > j.K/2K can be used to feint a crossup, or to adjust your timing if you dashed in wrong and need a few extra frames before landing to be throw-reversal safe.

Oki dash in > back jump j.D FDC can be used to bait reversals (get them to waste their meter if it's a super). Kind of risky and easy to disrespect, but in some cases it works out if you can get out of range and make them whiff. If they have 50% meter to RC a DP you can make them whiff instead and get your punish rather than hand them the initiative.

Please don't forget about note YRC guys. Especially off of K Dive. OTG 2K>5S>note YRC after KD dive is almost 100% they will get hit rate. You get to dash like 3 times in their face and adjust to their block attempt.

Actually, adapting to your opponents blocking habits and knowing when they will crack/BS/Desperation Reversal will destroy them morally and make you so much scarier as an opponent (and I-no player of course) if they feel that one knockdown is all it takes.

Also, idk if you've seen my recent matches, but I've started to implement hover>iad>YRC nothing on pplz oki. They can't reversal, and they absolutely panic because the high low becomes unseeable and 100% a guess on there part, which lets you take full advantage on your part if you've already downloaded their panic blocking habits.

Anaboli Chris fake note oki into SM YRC OS is also the God.