MikelAL93

[CP/EX] Kagura Mutsuki - FAQ/Q&A thread

Was playing around with different things and it seems better to just lose a bit of damage, follow the first 2DC into 46B which lets you use 6C and a ton after that to punish them if they don't tech.

I read somewhere in this thread a bit back about how to cancel from command grab to OD but I can't seem to do it. Saw it in one combo vid, looked useful.

What I remember the post saying was something like 2D~4D, OD activate?

I read somewhere in this thread a bit back about how to cancel from command grab to OD but I can't seem to do it. Saw it in one combo vid, looked useful.

What I remember the post saying was something like 2D~4D, OD activate?

Best thing to do is 5DB>1DD. Pressing D twice will put you into 2D stance and cancel out of it as quickly as possible, then you can land and OD.

Awesome, thanks a lot man. Now to get that 5D~C, 2D~A link down and I think my offense will have a good foundation! haha

6DA is pretty straight foward, hits mid and not low like we first thought. 6DB also hits mid and not low, but crosses up and has invuln during the part where Kagura goes through the opponent. I don't think we know the exact amount of invuln frames yet though.

6DA is typically a combo extender and is as far as I know the only drive move he has that doesn't have same move poration and it hit mid. Other than that I don't think it has any special properties. 6DB is pseudo teleport move that hits mid and as far as I know is used for mix up and is a really high damage combo starter. Other than that I don't thing it has any special properties.

The Dragonic Tyrant

6DA is typically a combo extender and is as far as I know the only drive move he has that doesn't have same move poration and it hit mid. Other than that I don't think it has any special properties. 6DB is pseudo teleport move that hits mid and as far as I know is used for mix up and is a really high damage combo starter. Other than that I don't thing it has any special properties.

The Dragonic Tyrant

6DA, 6DB, 6DC(non OD) and 2DB don't have SMP.

Now I've never posted in the Kagura section before, but I just got the game 2 days ago, unlocked him in 3 hours, already pwning online with him... against the other new players :( I though I had great combos, great Oki and all that until I saw combo videos... yeah.

But anyway the real question is, I kind of know what to do when approaching the enemy if they are trying to get away, but the reason I always get blown up playing Kagura is because they come at ME. I have no idea what to press, I'd DP but I always forget since I'm used to using non-reversal characters like Nu. And I even think on wakeup sometimes I can't get the DP out properly because it's a charge command. If they are comming from the air, I have no idea what anti-air to press, cause I think Kagura has 2. So while I'm thinking of which to press, they're already in. If they are coming from the ground, I can't orb because it's a charge command and they'd get in first, so I've tried things like 2C and 6DC which worked for a little.

Even though I've mained Nu since CT, I might main Kagura. I don't have a problem with Nu's changes but Kagura is so much fun to play with.

But anyway the real question is, I kind of know what to do when approaching the enemy if they are trying to get away, but the reason I always get blown up playing Kagura is because they come at ME. I have no idea what to press, I'd DP but I always forget since I'm used to using non-reversal characters like Nu. And I even think on wakeup sometimes I can't get the DP out properly because it's a charge command. If they are comming from the air, I have no idea what anti-air to press, cause I think Kagura has 2. So while I'm thinking of which to press, they're already in. If they are coming from the ground, I can't orb because it's a charge command and they'd get in first, so I've tried things like 2C and 6DC which worked for a little.

Kagura has two anti-air attacks: 5A and his DP. You should only use his DP as an anti-air once its buffered correctly against an airborne opponent, and his 5A is also useful since it has a fast startup much like Ragna's and Hazama's 5A do.

Thanks a lot, never could have guessed those are his anti-airs. I should go to his wiki. That's it, I'm maining this guy now. I've cleaned up in the basic places, inputting DP, blockstrings, etc.

I hope I'm not bother you all, but in the end, my blockstrings still need a lot of work. I tried the 46A blockstring technique that Omni created, which is effective against some players. Some players respect my pressure, and don't constantly jump or mash out of everything I have. I can deal with the mashing, but the jumping is a killer.

It happens at noticeable gaps, and that's where I'm failing. I'm not good with the hit confirms yet, even though I tried doing some drills in training mode, so online I'd do something like 5B > 5BB > 3C but they've already jumped away before 2DA or 2DB has come out. Even the many Taokakas that are around in my lobby now hold 3 to go under the orb when I'm using the 46A. I'm quite lucky that I'm using his command grab at the right moments though luckily.

Do you or anyone else have any tips to beat jumping, or better blockstrings with less gaps. Once again sorry for the long post but it's like me to use a big explanation.

6C has lots of head immune frames. With a bit of practice you can definitely learn to use it as an anti-air. Has about the same feel to it as Hazama's 2C

6C and 5DC can also serve as anti-airs, but are just tons more spcific when you want to use them (almost never in the case of 5DC :vbang:)

Do you or anyone else have any tips to beat jumping, or better blockstrings with less gaps. Once again sorry for the long post but it's like me to use a big explanation.

Try not to be too predictable with 46A pressure (ie always orb after 6B), and ending a string on 5B itself can be alright, because it's +0 on block, you can do a 2A to keep pressure going after it, or delay 6B to catch mashing or jumps (granted you don't get much from 6B if they jump). Cancelling into a drive move from 5B/2B instead of 3C can work too, if they're not paying attention. Not the greatest of tools, but it can work. Sometimes it's just best to do something like 5BB>5C>A orb though. Keeps you at a save distance because of 5C push back, and the orb may force someone to jump/back away while you follow it. These are just a few things I do anyway, it's not much but they can work. Kagura's blockstrings are pretty sub par honestly.

Edited by -Seo

6C and 5DC can also serve as anti-airs, but are just tons more spcific when you want to use them (almost never in the case of 5DC :vbang:)

5DC is a mix-up option for 5DB. They jump to avoid the command throw (once they're used to your setups) and they get caught by an AA 5DC

I've had odd uses for it in the air too. People like to jump up to you when you're stancing in the air for some reason.

Edited by Ctrlaltwtf

5DC is a mix-up option for 5DB. They jump to avoid the command throw (once they're used to your setups) and they get caught by an AA 5DC

I've had odd uses for it in the air too. People like to jump up to you when you're stancing in the air for some reason.

Yeah it can work if someone is expecting command grab and jumps, but you don't really get too much out of it other than flash kick in most cases (unless CH obviously), which is kinda disappointing for what it is. What bothers me is how insanely easy it is to jump between the first and second hit, it's happened to me trying to AA with that so much ;_;

Well it has been a looooong time since I last posted here. First of all try to not use any drive after 3C when your opponent is blocking. Even 3C is punishable on block if it is not spaced correctly. When you identified that your opponent is blocking after 3C try to let it go or do 6DC that catch them sometimes or you will pass through but it is dangerous b/c they can block it and even 5DA wont help you vs chars with fast low normal (Ragna, Azrael, Mu, Nu, Taokaka, Kokonoe, Rachel... ) even Relius can easily dodge it with 236A and punish you for free.

These are my options:

After a blocked, jB I press 4BB and release A orb, this reset your pressure in the best way. You can go for an air grab if they try to jump, jump B but for more pressure, 6A for overhead (2A > 6A is way tricker) or 2A > 5B for low mix up. Another option is to use 6DB, it will cross them up right after the orb blockstun and if they stay in the ground, sweep them with 3C > 2DC and you get a combo. You can jB > overhead directly tho, it is pretty good.

After a blocked 5BB try to always hold back after 5B for 4BB and instead of 3C use 4C (5C charging) and release the A orb, any jump attempt will be beaten if they not use the barrier and if they do, the orb will put them right on ground for another mixup. because 5C blockstun is amazing.

When you get pressured you got 4 options: 1° his DP 2° his fastest super 41236C 3° mash 2A or 5A (yep that works online) or jump back C, this move is amazing, try to use it as soon as you jump if they come from the air or a bit later if they come from the ground, this blows up a lot of getting in attempts especially vs Azrael (yeah they hate it).

When they jump over your orb you have 2 options or air grab them, this is really difficult vs arakune and Amane since their super jump is very high and they float more than other chars. or you can jump forward and press C right in the air; good vs a lot of chars. When you release the orb and you don't want to charge the DP right after, jump back C is your best option. Even when you are close to the corner A orb > 6DB will save you the corner pressure. If they block, use 5DC to destroy and jump attempt, even if they block you will be fine.

From my experience, my hardest matchups are good Hakumen, Relius and Mu-12 players. At least for Relius, I know the matchup since I use him but it is really difficult because you can't avoid getting put in the blockstun by Ignis, and he can become dirty.

Sorry for the long post but it can help and if someone wants to share some great stuffs with me, please feel free to answer.

Edited by FatalCounter

Is Kagura playable in arcades?

Unless if you are asking specifically about Arcade mode, he is playable in that mode.

Other than that, he is not available in the arcade version of the game (as of right now).

Can anyone tell me if he can go into drive after 5BB?

The Dragonic Tyrant

I just tested this out earlier, but you can not cancel into his drive stances from 5BB.

I just tested this out earlier, but you can not cancel into his drive stances from 5BB.

Ha! Of course not. Well thanks for testing, would have done it myself but I'm not home.

The Dragonic Tyrant

Q: Is it possible to charge buffer with Kagura?

Yes. It is possible to charge buffer with Kagura. An example can be done in challenge 28 where you have to buffer your charge after the orb hits the opponent; a good solution for that is by pressing 5A while charging "Ryuuha Gokuenjin" while in Overdrive, then doing the buffered command the moment after 5A makes contact with the opponent.

Okay, now I got a stupid question. It may just sound stupid because I might be overlooking something easy.

So, you have Kagura and your opponent, at a distance similar to the start of the round. Just a little closer though, kind of at a distance where Tsubaki can poke you with her 5B. This is the place where I'm always going to get hit unless I'm blocking, because Kagura's C moves are too slow for me to hit the enemy, and his B moves are short range. Should I just jump or something or are there better options?

And here's another question, it's neutral game.

I played Seo about a week ago or maybe longer, and I noticed he uses a lot of fireballs. Which I tried for some time, until I fought Hakumen and Azrael (characters I see a lot.) I also looked at some matches Omni was involved in, and he uses a lot of high jumps and air barrier.

So could there be any basics to neutral? Anything you'd usually do at the start of the round?