MikelAL93

[CP/EX] Kagura Mutsuki - FAQ/Q&A thread

i have seen Kagura get Multiple hits off of his 2[]8D super. is this an OD thing? how is it done?

Only possible in version 1.1 of BBCP, which will be released in May on PS3.

I have to still beat the damn story mode to play around with him, (I should honestly just get to use him after you deal with Azrael in story mode but whatever >_>) but my question is: Is Kagura as complex of a character, and to that end, as hard to learn as I'm making him out to be? Obviously, if I haven't gotten to experience him outside of neanderthalic button mashing in story mode, he's going to feel very foreign to me. But, after reading much of what he's about, and a few charge moves, (I've been nary too keen at in the past) he seems like an odd bird with a steep learning curve given the different stances he can take, and what each of those stances chain into.

His stances take a bit to memorize but he's not super complicated. Most of his game is just poke into same combo over and over. He does require some reads to be able to open the opponent up but it's nothing extraordinary.

I noticed that in the combo thread, most of them end in 2db into A orb oki. Is a orb oki better than b orb oki?

A orb is the more common safer method, but B orb isn't too bad either.

Because of B orbs longer startup, characters with an invulnerable reversal can tech and hit you out of the startup, which they otherwise wouldn't be able to do if you used A orb. It's also possible to forward roll right through a B orb after 2DB, but this only seems to happen from things like 5C>2DB. If a 6DC comes before the 2DB, it doesn't seem possible to forward roll through it.***

In short, A orb is the safer option, B orb is character dependant and a risk you can take on other characters, or use if you notice a player doesn't immediately tech 2DB.

***EDIT: This too is actually character specific, some people can still forward roll it, others can't. Relius, Carl, Jin, Tao, Noel, Bullet and Valk can roll through an immediate B orb, but a slightly delayed one will force them to block. They can still reversal, but Kagura recovers just in time to block.

Stance super ender?

Assuming that's what you mean, you don't really get any sort of oki off that. Orbs can be pretty easily rolled, so you're better of doing an immediate 5B to try and catch someone rolling. If they neutral tech, you're still safe because of 5B's quick recovery. If they delay tech, you pick them back up for a new combo.

Ah, my bad.

2DA ender has more than enough hitstun to safely set-up a B orb. Again though, the timing on the B orb is important, as some characters will get picked up by an immediate B orb which will trigger SMP, so you need to delay it ever so slightly (There's a list of which characters require delays in the OP of the combo thread). It's still possible to roll through the B orb here, but they won't actually get through Kagura, so you can catch the roll with a 5B and keep them in the corner.

Can someone explain to me just how exactly his Drive cancels work? Like how many times can you Drive cancel and what cancels into what?

I feel like I'm letting Kaguras get away with a lot of crap because I don't know just when I should push buttons after his Drives.

Can someone explain to me just how exactly his Drive cancels work? Like how many times can you Drive cancel and what cancels into what?

I feel like I'm letting Kaguras get away with a lot of crap because I don't know just when I should push buttons after his Drives.

Stances (5D,6D and 2D) have a limit (Once) of how many times you can use them after going into the first stance. If I were to go into 5D, I would freely be able to go into 6D or 2D. After going into one of them though, I wouldn't be able to use the previous stance (5D), leaving me with only one stance left. Basically, Kagura can only use a max of 3 stance moves immediately after each other, but they have to all come from different stances. There's no set order in which you have to do them in though, so you can start and end with any stance you want.

5D consists of: A=Guard point B=Command Grab C=Anti-Air

6D consists of: A=Combo tool B=Cross-up C=Anti-projectile

2D consists of: A=Overhead B=Low C=Combo tool/low

Pretty much all of his drives are unsafe to end on, with a dash cancelled 5DA being the safest at -3. Some do push the opponent far away enough to make him relatively unpunishable (2DC).

Thanks for clearing that up, it would really help to have this sort of explanation under his Drive description on the wiki page for future reference. Might as well just copy-pate the above since your explanation is pretty clear and thorough.

Just something to note with Kagura's stances is that his 6 stance A and B are not airtight and can be mashed out of easily and aside from 5A stance most are not safe.  They also can only be canceled on hit so characters like Ragna can generally 5B after most 2 Stance enders.

Was to the arcade today and now that my 2DA 5DC 28C scrub 3.3k combo doesn't work, I actually want to improve my combos.

I'm pretty sure I saw this the other day on YouTube:

2DA > forward 6DA, 5B > 3C > 2DC > 5DA > 46A > 5A > 6B > jump JB > jump JB > JC

but I can't get 46A > 5A > 6B > jump JB to work. Am I just too slow (or too quick), or am I remembering it wrongly?

I guess I'll stick with 5DC 28C ender until I get it to work.

Was to the arcade today and now that my 2DA 5DC 28C scrub 3.3k combo doesn't work, I actually want to improve my combos.

I'm pretty sure I saw this the other day on YouTube:

2DA > forward 6DA, 5B > 3C > 2DC > 5DA > 46A > 5A > 6B > jump JB > jump JB > JC

but I can't get 46A > 5A > 6B > jump JB to work. Am I just too slow (or too quick), or am I remembering it wrongly?

I guess I'll stick with 5DC 28C ender until I get it to work.

Delay the A orb after 5DA so they can drop a little, you should be able to hit the 5A>6B then. If that doesnt work, I'd just omit the 5DA.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm really bad with these (somewhat) tight combos, but I'll try to get it to work. 

By the way, what do you do after throws now that it screen bounces? o.o

And why do I have problem with picking up the opponent for combo after reversal now? ._.

You can still get a 6C from a throw midscreen, but it does look a lot tighter now. You can charge an A orb during the throw and use that to help the 6C connect though! I think midscreen throw bnb is something like

Throw>6C>6DA>B orb>3C>6DC or 2DC (6DC for corner, 2DC for midscreen knockdown).

I don't think it's actually possible to get a combo from CH 28C now though, the height they rise seems to have been reduced, and it got nerfed as a starter overall, so I'm not even sure 5A>6B would work anymore. Saying that though, it'd be interesting to know if CH 28C>Charge super connected on ground CH. You can still get a combo from corner CH 28C though, but it's only something like 28C>3C>6DC>2DB.

Oh, I see. Though I'll probably go with the 6DB-route, because I'm so bad at timing right now. Something like 6DB 2DA 5DC 28C should work for damage right? 

I don't know, when watching some Kagura at YouTube every once in a while they do combo of the ch 28C, but maybe that's against airborne enemies. : /

Saw 28C rc JC as a finisher in a match, so 28C rc JC stance super maybe works for 100%?

Oh, I see. Though I'll probably go with the 6DB-route, because I'm so bad at timing right now. Something like 6DB 2DA 5DC 28C should work for damage right?

I don't know, when watching some Kagura at YouTube every once in a while they do combo of the ch 28C, but maybe that's against airborne enemies. : /

Saw 28C rc JC as a finisher in a match, so 28C rc JC stance super maybe works for 100%?

That does indeed work. Could you test if counterhit 2c still combos into 6da, and if so at what ranges?

I started making a punish list for kagura's drive cancels, primarly to avoid doing some depending on the character, so far i only did 2db and 6db, later i'll finish the rest

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13DcG6foV2iwra7N2uZ6xTaJ7IAQPEIGOUtuVK1mm0Ho/edit

While your list may be right, it will be useless within a month or less. On many videos I watched, I seems like 2DB > 5DA may not be punishable anymore because the second hit of 2DB is now a lvl 5 attack which means at least 20F of blockstun instead of 16 of a lvl 3 attack and 5DA has now 33F (14 + 19) of startup instead of 36F. I didn't see anyone hit him during this string. 

Not to mention that 2DB is now -5 on block. 2DB > 5DC beats, at least trades with any masher. 6DC > 2DB could be a true blockstring, at least really difficult to punish. Many other things have change for his drives. 

However, you are right the fact that 2DB was unsafe, was really hurting him. after a 6DC, the instant move was to do 2DB, the safest drive when blocked is 2DC but can whiff when you are far away. Cancel 6DC into a drive stance w/o any move make it somehow safe but some good players can super  you before you are able to Stance cancel it. 

He was too risky to play at high level. 

I kind of started this guide on a whim, I was testing stuff with a friend and eventually put it on paper to keep track of everything, maybe i'll revise it after the patch and finish all the other cancels

but yeah, 2db was death for most matchups, although the IB 5db tick throw was pretty cool

when is it best to use 2 8 D as a finisher in a combo?  I'm still learning kagura, but I hardly ever use this. Also, whats a good way to use [4] 1236 D in a combo?  On a different note, anything flashy we can do with unlimited kagura, I just barely unlocked him by beating unlimited mars, so I'm stoked :D