MikelAL93

[CP/EX] Kagura Mutsuki - FAQ/Q&A thread

His drives work like a more limited version of Noel's drive system. There's 5D, 2D and 6D stance, and you can only chain them together consecutively once (2Dx>6Dx>5Dx, you can't do 2Dx>6Dx>2Dx). They're NOT limited to once per combo however, only when they're used after each other.

For which are punishable, most all of them are really, some requiring IB to punish for certain characters however. The only drive that could really be considered safe would be 2DC, as it pushes Kagura a good distance away on block.

Where you can push buttons is kind of a tricky one, you just need to get used to common drive blockstrings as there's a decent amount of pressure and mixup with them. In pressure though, the most common drives you'll see are 5DA,2DB,2DC,6DC. Remembering what these are and what they do is honestly the quickest way to dealing with Kagura. Goes without saying you should learn what the other drives do too.

A very common blockstring would be 2DB>5DA, 2DB gets Kagura in really quick with a low and 5DA has guard point and fatals, if you mash after 2DB, you'll get hit hard, but if you have a fast enough low (9 frames IIRC) you'll hit him out of 5DA because it loses to lows. Kagura can counter this and do 2DB>6DC as a frametrap to catch mashing though, so you have to be cautious of that. In general, it's not worth mashing at all during this string, as after blocking 5DA, Kagura is -3 if he dash cancels forward or -6 on baskdash, so his pressure effectively ends.

Mmm, gonna have to read his frame data page to see what does what and how negative they are on block. Thanks for the reply, this helps in understanding them a bit better. Man, I'm so behind with CP, still don't know how to fight Amane, Bullet, and Kagura all that well lol.

No worries, thanks for the heads up about the wiki too! Had no idea stuff was shifted over for an Extend wiki. I've updated it, albeit being a bit basic, but it's better than it being empty.

Sorry if it's been asked before but does anyone have a good answer to Fuzzy jumping? 

I feel like I have a hard time opening people up with anything other than 6a and occasionally command grab, as any time I cancel into stance in pressure, people automatically just fuzzy jump and barrier.

And while I can make them block for jumping with something like 5DC, it doesn't really stop them from doing it again and avoiding any drive mixup. 

Put more lows into your strings. 2A 2B 5BB 46A or 2A 2B 5B 5C 46A. Ending in 3C works too as I believe it doesnt have a gap like 5C. 6A, 5DB and 2DA will work a lot better once you make them feel afraid to jump out of your strings.

Also, use 6C instead of 5DC if you want to keep them blocking in the air after a jump. It causes a massive amount of blockstun so youll have the frame advantage to run any kind of drive mixup as they fall down. 

Ah sorry I guess I should have clarified. It's not that people are trying to fuzzy jump everything. Basically people just wait until I drive cancel and then they immediately up back.

While they can't react to stance cancel initially because it's pretty fast, they still react before any drive move can hit.  So they hold down back during any strings (for example 2a 2a 5b 3c) I do until I drive cancel.  I'm not sure if we really have any options that can stop fuzzy jumping any drive mixups.

Yeah, maybe 6C drive cancelled might have enough blockstun to force them to deal with the mixup though.  Guess I'll do some testing.

5DA>2DC beats people trying to upback out of stance pressure, and once they start respecting that you can run 5DA>2DA or 5DA>2DB for a high/low mixup, or the occasional 5DA>66 to catch them off guard.

So I started playing Kagura recently and was wondering a couple things. 

Should I only use 5b after the opponent blocks orb? I feel like the move doesn't really work to just throw out and its a bit frustrating to use.

Can I do unsafe stance moves and just cancel into orb to make them safe? I've seen it on hit but can I just 2D-B and then orb as a blockstring for example? Edit :Tested it out and I 2D-B isn't cancel-able on block or at least into orb. 

What else can I do for approach besides j.C, 5.C - stance move/orb, or 2C - stance move/orb? Just run a bit and hop around?

What would be a good combo after CH 6D-C? Prob one of my favorite counter hits in the game.

-5B is one of kagura's best tools once he's up close with the opponent. It truly shines when you have the opponent worried about blocking 6A or an overhead in general. Times you shouldn't use that move is when 2A can reach when 5B can't. Other then that, try to opt for 5B since its a low. Another great place to use it is, when a person is forced into blocking a B Orb/Fireball on wakeup, you can just empty jump and immediately go for 5b.

-You can't cancel stance moves into special on block, besides other stance moves you have left. Most times you use stance moves, it's to condition the opponent for certain things. F.E. if you do 2DB and you know your opponent is gonna mash on a button that isn't a low, you can follow up with 5DA for a fatal. In this situation, if your opponent knows your going to do 5DA, they can grab you out of it, but to beat that you can use 6DC, and 6DC will also beat most lows at that range. So its all about conditioning your opponent into something. If you just want to play it as safe as possible, you can do 2DB, and enter another stance and immediately cancel it and barrier to make it slightly safer. Doing this makes all stance moves -4 on block. The safest stance moves kagura has are 2DB(-5 on block), 5DA forward dash(-2 on block), and 5DA back dash(-7 on block).

-The hardest part about playing kagura is his neutral is pretty ass. You really have to know to make use of all your giant normal, stances and specials to make everything workout. The most go to thing is to setup orbs and follow behind them. Other then that you have 6DC which covers about 75% of the screen horizontally, and j.C to wack people. j.C. is pretty good since kagura's hurt-box is slightly detached from the hit of the sword, so its kinda wonky for opponents to anti-air at times. Or you can literally just turtle some of the match and catch your opponent in the air with B-Fafnir, and force them to play the ground game, dealing with 5C and 2C. 2C is a great move since kagura leans back for the move and enters a crouching position. Just don't use it too much since it has a decent amount of recovery and people will capitalize on you overusing it. Your main goal with most match-ups is just getting yourself in 2A, 5B, and 6B range where kagura starts applying tremendous pressure with frame traps and mixups.

-For combos off of CH 6DC,

Midscreen-6DC, 6C, 6DA, 3C, 2DC, 5DA, A-orb, 5B, 3C, 6DC, 2DB

Midscreen to corner-6DC, 6DA, 3C, 2DC, 6DC, C-Fafnir, 2C, 6DC, 2DB

I have a question. When do I use [2]8C after 6D~C? In one of his challenge mode, I'm having trouble buffering the flash kick. Is there a another way to do it? Or a short cuts or advice that you can give me? Thank you 

I'm sure someone else can be of better help and probably give you an actual shortcut, but when I picked up CPEX I had the same problem. I literally just practiced the combo over and over again. I personally found it helpful to press 6D during the 3C (3C should probably be before the 6D~C in the challenge you're doing I guess? If not, just 6D during the move you executed before) and switch to holding 3 even before you press the follow up C. So really it should look like 6D~3C. 

The [2]8C should be buffering during the time you hold 3, so by the time 6D~C is over, the 3 should have buffered the move enough for 2[8]C to come out at the time you need it. It takes practice, but I'm used to it now, so you can get used to it too. Hopefully someone else can be of good use if I wasn't enough for you.

One thing to be aware of is that the direction priority for 3C will first be into 2D stance if both 2D and 6D are available.  Doing 3C > 3DC will result in 2DC everytime and is an easy way to hold a charge for 2DC > 6DC > [2]8C in the corner as you only need to hold 3 until the last part.

Spend time in the lab learning the timing for both when you can start charging from 6DC input to when you can do [2]8C.  If the flash kick never comes out you didn't store a charge long enough, if the flash kick does come out but they are wall stuck too low on the wall to prevent 2C/5C pick-up then you flash-kicked too late.  If you do the charge quick enough from 3C > 6DC then you can do [2]8C right when 6DC hits or just slightly afterwards.  Corner position also can impact this, luckily 6DC normally puts you into the place where the wallstick allows follow-ups easily.

Sorry for the late reply but thankle for for giving me advice with kagura mission 14. I'm having a hard time doing mission 18 and 19. 

18: when I do 2DA into 5DC, seems like the dummy Flys away instead of staying in the corner. Why is that?

19: how can I buffer 6DC into flash kick? Can I cheat my way by doing 3DC into 6DC then flash kick instead? Or does it scale?

On 1/19/2016 at 4:36 PM, Tatsumaki85 said:

Sorry for the late reply but thankle for for giving me advice with kagura mission 14. I'm having a hard time doing mission 18 and 19. 

18: when I do 2DA into 5DC, seems like the dummy Flys away instead of staying in the corner. Why is that?

19: how can I buffer 6DC into flash kick? Can I cheat my way by doing 3DC into 6DC then flash kick instead? Or does it scale?

Can't answer 18 right now as I'm not touching the game and I don't remember what you mean, but as for 19, you can do 3DC > 6DC > flashkick as an easy way to buffer the flashkick. It's what a lot of Kagura players do. It's just that holding 3DC brings out 2DC automatically instead of 6DC. No need to worry about scaling because you can still get great combos off of it.