Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moy_X7

[CP] Jin vs Kagura

Match Start

Neutral

Full Screen
Long-Mid Range
Point Blank

Offense and Defense

Your Offense vs His Defense
His Offense vs Your Defense

Gimmicks and Miscellaneous Info

Gimmicks
Misc. Info

Frame Advantage, Disadvantage, and Punishes

Frame Advantage
Frame Disadvantage
Punishes

Summary

So far, I think this matchup is in Jin's favor.

When Jin's on defense Kagura's drive mixups are mostly pretty easy to block, the only one you really need to do guess work on is the crouching stance overhead. His crossup/non-crossup drive has a 9f rhythm block timing, and a lot of the time you can jump out of it to make it whiff and punish him. One thing that I really do have trouble with is his non-drive overhead, especially when his B orb makes it harder to see. As far as I know there aren't any real setups for his drive cmd grab, but who knows. I feel like if you don't want to risk trying to go for punishing him mid drive string, it's totally OK to just wait until he's used all 3 and then go in on him, since drive strings will always end with his opponent at advantage.

When you're on offense, things can get trickier. Kagura has the best reversal in the game, his flash kick, and good Kagura players should always be looking for you to jump or do a long move like 6B, so they can flash kick out of your pressure and get an easy 2k on CH. I think the best strings to use on Kagura are ones like 2A staggers and throws, since you'll make him have to guess if he wants to flash kick out. If he's only blocking and flash kicking and not mashing much, you can do strings ending in 2B. Remember, if he blocks high he loses his flash kick for a second, and you can do more risky things for a bit.

I feel the neutral game is really what puts this in Jin's favor. Jin and Kagura both have kind of a hard time staying in on each other and mixing each other up, but Jin is pretty good at controlling space in this matchup. If you stay just outside his 5/2C range, he doesn't really have many options. If he tries to use his 6D>C to get in, you can jump over it and come down with a j.C CH if you react early enough. If he throws out a B orb(the only one you really need to worry about) you can IAD and punish him, but he might be able to fake you out being doing an A orb and then flash kicking you. If you see him trying to charge, poking at him with 2D is a good option since you know he's not likely to move out of the way, but don't do it too often. Basically, I just play the neutral game really safely and I don't try to go in too often. Kagura's defensive tools are really good, but his offense isn't too hot. Just try not to give up space too much, since Kagura's corner damage is really high, easily getting 4k off of random drives.

If anyone has anything to add/correct, please go ahead!

Just to re-iterate what uberdeluxe said, it's of paramount importance that you don't retreat too far back when playing against Kagura. There are several reasons why this isn't beneficial for Jin which include pushing yourself closer to the corner where Kagura gets big damage, and giving him space to set up B orbs which leads to ambiguous guessing games of deciding how to deal with his approach when the orb is out. Don't give up too much space against Kagura.

Staying outside 2C and 5C range is the best plan of action, as IAD j.2C are of great use if he summons B orb. If you should find yourself having to block the B orb, try to Instant barrier it, as this negates the vacuum effect. j.C can be used as a spacing tool, but be weary of 6D~C. It's best to not try to approach Kagura, instead, you'll want to try to react to what he does, because the answer to most of your options will be [2]~8C. It's ok to approach sometimes, but you'll want to focus the majority of the game at being outside the range of his C normals.

When you do get in and start pressure, I find that keeping your block strings short works best and doesn't yield as much risk as staying in his face for the majority of the match. Using mixup early on during your block strings is better than leaving it until last minute. Quick mixup gives the Kagura player less time to think of using a DP. For example, if you have 50 meter, it's best to go with something like 2A > xx > 662A > 6A > Rapid combo than something like this:

2A > 2A > 5B > 5C > 6B > 662A > 5B > 6A > Rapid combo.

If you want to retreat after being in his face for a while because you want to reset your position outside the range his C normals, 5C > IAD back is quite useful. This can also be used to bait DPs, but you have to be fast with the follow up punish.

I also don't really recommend using 2C whilst pressuring Kagura, stick to As, Bs, 5C and 3C as normals for pressure (6B is debatable).

If you do happen to get Kagura to block j.2C > j.C, go straight into an overhead without delay. He won't be able to DP, as the player would have taken his finger off [2] in order to block high.

Oh yea I kind of understated the importance of not being too far lol, if you let Kagura get a B orb out you are gonna have a bad time :(

For pressure, I'd be careful about using 6B though, it's pretty easy to react to if they're looking for it, or even if they're not. VS Kagura I like to re-establish pressure with 2B dash 2A, 5C(2C)2D, and micro-dashed 2As, because there's no one animation he can look at and say "FLASHKICK TIME"!! 2C maybe, but the gap in 5C 2C is a lot smaller than 5C 6B.

I still don't understand how 5C>2C like you said would be an effective mixup.

I just get hit by flashkick most of the time.

They do have to charge [2] for at least 45 F though right? holding down back wouldn't actually count as charging?