Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prototype909

Bullet vs. Ragna

This looks like a pretty straight-forward matchup, as expected. Ragna seems to win in most air-to-air and ground-to-ground scenarios, and he has 6A and inferno-divider to keep us honest about jumping. Without heat, Bullet seems to lose at neutral, but when she gets heat, Ragna has a noticeably difficult time getting through Lock-On, dash-forward 6Bs, and Flint Shooter.

Blood Scythe can be a little annoying, but keep in mind that it's vulnerable to head-invuln moves and air-throw. Also with Blood Scythe, I'd advise being careful anti-airing it in the corner, I've had several instances where I'd try to use 6B to anti air it, but because she moves forward a little bit, Blood Scythe ended up going around it and hitting me from behind.

Under pressure I could probably use some advise, it's a little gray to me, but that's partially because I'm new to BB in general and common defensive answers. It's rather tough to backdash or jump out of his pressure, and he's typically too far away to dp. I've mainly focused on blocking/reacting to high low, anti-airing obvious jump-ins, and starting pressure (sometimes) after Hell's Fang, or Gauntlet Hades as long as he can't RC them. I'm willing to bet Gauntlet Hades is punishable with 720A, though I've messed up the input whenever I've tried it myself.

Doing pressure against him can also be somewhat of a pain because of inferno divider. trying to restart pressure after 5C causes problems because it almost benefits him as much as it does Bullet. his jab is only a frame slower than yours, and most Ragnas I've faced are dp-crazed (which also makes + moves like Lock-On somewhat problematic) and Bullet's 5C is his most likely opportunity to disrespect her pressure. I'm thinking it's our best bet to continue pressure with jump cancels after 5B or 6C as we can block in the air if he tries to mash out, and j.C is good to continue pressure when he doesn't. j.D also seems to have to potential to bait and punish 6A, though I've not yet tried it myself.

Seems to be a horrifying matchup for some reason.

Pros

-Full screen projectile, forcing stupid jump-ins.

-Can barrier block for a bit easier punishes.

-Can roll under certain attacks.

Cons

-Nearly every normal he has beats anything Bullet can throw at him. His 5B has better priority/range than Bullet. His 5C is the same. His 5A is as well.

-This means hard punishes in general, meaning you get destroyed once you're in pressure situations. It's almost impossible to break it without a burst.

-His movement is better.

-Can punish your jump ins.

-DP goes through 720.

-Damage is insane for ending matches quickly that are already in his favor.

-Due to how Bullet is played, you don't have the damage output (not easily) to end the match quick enough for him to not have chances for pressure.

General advice -

Don't try to go air to air unless you're above him - his j.C stuffs most of Bullet's air normals (It seems). SJ into j.D helps at getting you vertical space.

Red charged j.D can clash with ID - they can mash into another ID and win (I think) but if they don't you can get a punish.

Get comfortable blocking - there's no 'trick' to escaping his pressure, the worst thing you can do is get desperate and throw out a Cutting Shear or Serpentine Assault that doesn't pay off. Just involves patience, practice and IBing (6Bing him out of blood-scythe is also possible, but it can cross you up and fatal you if the distance is off)

3C can be used to go under most of his ground normals to punish if you feel as though you've got a read on him, if you whiff him you are going to get punished in return though

The matchup is worse for her than not. 2B is good but because of its recovery you really cannot afford to whiff it, and it still doesnt protect from the air. Its situational for this reason, but something that bullet players should use a bit more

I have never had problems with Ragna until I started playing Bullet. Although 2b is money, you'tr still ice skating uphill. Punishing ID with level 2 is sexy though

The matchup is worse for her than not. 2B is good but because of its recovery you really cannot afford to whiff it, and it still doesnt protect from the air. Its situational for this reason, but something that bullet players should use a bit more

You think so, because I feel Bullet has a slight advantage. That said yea, 2B is good for spacing, but with 18f of recovery, you can't whiff it. That's a free 5B punish for Ragna right there. I had almost completely forgotten that Bullet is a grappler and should be fought against like one.

( we really should be talking about this matchup on our own board, so this is my last response) the matchup is hard, but we do not have to make reads like a bullet has to. Given correct starters and positioning on the field we can get 4K in the corner without meter, and solid 3K midscreen. Bullet literally needs heat-up in order to do anything, which means getting two knockdowns (if she has 50 meter then just one) or risk getting punished by charging up levels. She has explosive damage and can blow people up, but the matchup is in ragnas favor (imo) because its his game to lose untill she gets levels, like in most matchups involving bullet. Not saying she is bad, but this IS a legitimate problem she has to deal with

The problem is gaining heat up for me. Thank goodness his mix up i sort of meh. Neutral has to be on point fot Bullet imo or Ragna will just 5b/5c da gawd for free (like most seem to think they can)