Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DerQ

[CP] Amane vs. Kagura

I've only played Amane twice so far, so take what I say here with a grain of salt.

These will be general match observations since I also don't know anything about Kagura.

-At the start of the round, Kagura can 5C Amane for free, so don't try anything besides super jump barrier or backdash. I personally didn't try to Zettou out so that might work as well. You /might/ be able to 3C underneath, but I didn't try that either.

-I found it difficult to keep Kagura out. When he's just inside of 5/2C range, he's got a wide variety of moves he can hit you with.

-His projectile didn't really give me any issues unless he used it for Oki.

-Attempting to super jump and Zettou out of the corner is difficult since his 6C is fairly quick and reaches the top of your super jump. Barrier is required.

-Stopping his approach can also be difficult since his dash attacks bring him right in and have giant hitboxes out in front of him.

-The Kagura I fought liked to super jump up back and float in the air using his Drive. His only options after that are letting the drive go (where he'll do a dive to the ground, then do the drive move), or let himself fall and can block (if I remember correctly). It should be very possible to smack him around with j.C/j.6C if he tries to hover.

-Oki is possible on him, but you can't do it too close since he can Flash Kick out of it for free. Of course if he tries that and it whiffs, you get a free punish.

-I don't know what Kagura's health rating is, but it felt like he was taking a lot of damage when I would chip at him with drills. Though that might have just been him not barriering.

That's all I can remember from my set with him last night. I did manage to win quite a few (though he won more), so that's not too bad for less than 15 hours with Amane.

I would definitely appreciate anyone with more knowledge/experience on this match up.

Yeah the 5C will catch A version fabhop but i'm not sure about b since i spam A XD. 5/2C can beat any attempt to use projectile out of oki so he can't use that against you. His 6D-C can catch out your c moves if he reads you so don't give him any free room at neutral.

Kagura's 6D~C actually loses cleanly to 3C if you time it correctly! I've never seen it low profile anything else like that before.

Match Up Favor: 6-4 Amane's Favor

Match Up Breakdown:

Amane's primary goal in this match up is to run away and zone Kagura all match. There is absolutely no reason for Amane to go in and try to pressure Kagura even if Amane is at level 3 drill. Doing so is a sure fire way to lose the match because of Kagura's Flash Kick. Amane's movement is too much for Kagura to handle if done properly because he jumps too high and has a ton of air mobility options. Abuse the fact that Amane has a greater range to attack from than Kagura. There are two main ways to zone against Kagura:

A) Always be in the air. Constantly be up-backing and hoping around in the air while poking Kagura with j.B and C normals. Kite him around the stage and slowly whittle him down.
B) Stay grounded and in 2C/5C range. Try to reaction poke Kagura every time he enters a stance or attempts to throw a fireball to get in.

When at level 3 Drill, continue doing a solid zoning game. Level 3 5D is one of the best pokes to use against Kagura because it will eat up his 6D[C] and 2D giving him very limited option to get in. Poke Kagura with 5D on reaction every time he enters a stance. Use Hariken to level yourself back up in neutral every time you drop to level 2 and Kagura is on the other side of the screen.

***While zoning, Kagura has 4 ways to try and approach Amane: 6D[C], 2D, Airdash, and Fireball. Amane has great tools to stop each of these approaches.

- 6D[C]:
Wyvern or Sky Dragon Strike has 1500 points of projectile armor and will go through Amane's drills. However, all of Amane's C normals are not projectiles and will hit him out of 6D[C] clean. Simply poke him out with a C normal to stop his advance. Amane's best option for doing this is 2C. Thanks to Amane going low to the ground during the animation, even if 2C whiffs, Amane will low profile under the 6D[C]. While risky, Amane's 3C will also low profile under it scoring him a good CH, but this needs to be timed well or else Kagura will get a free CH into big damage. Another option you have is jump above or over 6D[C] and use j.2B. Be careful though, if you are too low in the air Kagura will get a free CH. The final option can only be used while at level 3 drill, 5D will eat right through 6D[C]'s projectile armor.

- 2D:
This move is commonly referred to as Kagura's "skateboard" move. All options for dealing with 6D[C], except for 3C, also work for dealing with 2D. Instead of 3C, Amane has access to 6B. Instead of low profiling, 6B puts Amane air born and Kagura's 2D will whiff right under him. This is Amane's best option for dealing with 2D because it scores Amane a free Fatal Counter.

- Airdash:
Kagura's most basic way to get in. Simply 6A him every time he is above you, but be wary of j.C because it will lead to big damage for Kagura if it counter hits. If you don't feel confident in 6A, jump back and hop away to create space.

- Fireball: 
*Work in Progress*

Important Things to Note:

Kagura can get out of any drill set up using: Flash Kick > RC. 
- Raibu > RC > 2C wiffs on Kagura, use RC > 5C instead
- Second hit of 5C can wiff on Kagura standing at max range
- 6B will always beat out and Fatal Counter Kagura's 2C > 2D as long as you don't barrier block 2C
- Level 3 5D will always beat out Wyvern(6D[C])
- Bait out Kagura's Flash Kick by doing Forward A Zettou > Air Backdash on oki. Punish with j.C CH

Some of my thoughts:

- On making Kagura's flash kick whiff. If you do a combo that ends in 236C and bait with 236A > air back dash > jC then the spacing will be perfect every time, but if you end a combo in j236C then sometimes Kagura will land so close that jC will whiff so it won't work. But yeah, 236C every time. Practice the timing so you ABD at the earliest frame possible or you will get hit. 

- If you are zoning him from the ground, Kagura will fish for 6DC (Sky Dragon Strike) to get in. It has projectile super armor so it will go through drills. Here are the common ways to punish it:

* 2C. If it's early enough then you'll just hit him out and if you're too late then he'll actually miss you because of 2C's low hurtbox. Even if you do it super late, it's surprisingly foolproof. GOLD STAR FROM ESHI

* 3C. If you time it just right then this will also low profile (and CH at most distances), but if you do it too late then you'll counter hit you for huge damage. Use at your own risk. Don't try it online. HONORABLE MENTION

* j2B. If you jump early enough and are at just the right, you can make JDC miss and bounce on his head, but too low and he'll hit you.

* 5D level 3. While 6DC has projectile armor, the patch actually caps it at 1500 damage and 5D lvl 3 will rip through it easily. It's a little risky though, if you misjudge the distance or timing then you won't get enough hits and he'll CH you instead.

- Hariken setups. Do not go for A Hariken at point blank range because DP will hit you. Otherwise, his DP will hit A Hariken and you can still punish it, but if he has meter to rapid cancel then he's safe. If you set a drill behind him with B Hariken, however, his DP will completely miss and there's no way for him to avoid you punishing him. B Hariken setups ALL DAY. Don't even bother using 6D, just pause and react to him doing DP, if not then you can safely start pressure. 

- On pressuring Kagura, his DP is really good so if you want to do block strings then occasionally pause or go for 214A > jC. Avoid reckless air approaches because they're very easy for him to reaction DP and you can't do anything about it, even if you block it. You don't even have to bother if you have a life lead.

As an aside, I had NO IDEA that 6B straight up always beats 2C > 2DB, that gatling was giving me hell and this answer is really damn good!