Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urichinan

[CP] Litchi vs. Rachel

Could seriously use some help on this MU. I'm sure it doesn't seem that hard, but for some reason I'm very bad when dealing with Rachel and her wind. I have difficulty blocking her high/low mixups, find it incredibly difficult to escape from the corner with her frog in place and it just feels like no matter what I try to do or position myself from her, it always seems like I'm setting myself up to fail. Is there any advice I can use when fighting Rachel?

Could seriously use some help on this MU. I'm sure it doesn't seem that hard, but for some reason I'm very bad when dealing with Rachel and her wind. I have difficulty blocking her high/low mixups, find it incredibly difficult to escape from the corner with her frog in place and it just feels like no matter what I try to do or position myself from her, it always seems like I'm setting myself up to fail. Is there any advice I can use when fighting Rachel?

I play this MU so much it's crazy...

Just about every local tournament we run these days ends with me vs our Rachel player in both WF and GF.

To directly answer your questions first:

mixup           

Rachel has some pretty true 50/50s that you're going to have to guess your way through at some point in a match, it's unavoidable really.

For the most part you just want to know what she's capable of, what she can do in any given situation for example...

5B - IOH j.A vs 2B low

you blocked IOH j.A > j.B - dj.A fuzzy vs land > 2B low

you notice Rachel jump and wind down but not j.A - late j.B vs empty jump > 2B low

you block a j.B in the above situation - dj.A fuzzy vs land > 2B low

There's some other stuff like IAD > j.1DC crossups that she can do but the above are probably the core high/low mixups she has and honestly you're just going to have to guess. Throws are kind of a thing to look for but are generally kind of easy to see coming.

You can guess one and CA out but you need to be careful that it doesn't get baited.

Oki/setups       

Once she hits you, she has a few combo ender options, mainly combos into frog, combos into pumpkin and combos into both of these at once. Really, having both isn't much scarier than just the one, your options are limited either way.

Frog oki

Frog oki comes in many forms. For the most part you'll see 5CC > frog or 3C > frog...

3C > frog is generally more of a set situation than 5CC > frog due to the range of heights involved here. You're always going to be waking up into a certain point of froggy goodness. Rachel has a few options here.

3C > frog > block: Beats DPs and respect, loses to jump out > air dash

3C > frog > 2A > block/2A: Beats jump out (tends to hit during pre-jump) and respect, loses to DPs.

3C > frog > 2B: Beats blocking high, loses to DP and jump out

3C > frog > IOH j.A: Beats blocking low and jump outs, loses to DPs

5CC > frog is a bit different because you're up higher when 5CC hits so Rachel recovers earlier relative to you.

Most of this is the same as the above except there's no reason for that...

When 5CC is hit high enough, 5CC > frog > 2A > block appears to beat everything. meat 2A recovers before DP becomes active and stops you from jumping out. You're going to have to respect this one but at the same time, it's not always an optimal ender for the Rachel player and the chances where high 5CC enders come up are generally off something like a frog confirm so there's no frog to work with.

Pumpkin oki     

I don't have the most experience against pumpkin oki... I feel like our Rachel could be using it for a few more things than as is but it's still pretty scary.

The downside to pumpkin oki is that while with frog oki, Rachel can wait on the ground for George to finish and regain wind, Rachel needs to spend wind to get anything working.

Again, the below is to the best of my understanding.

5CC/3C > pumpkin > j.2AD - beats jump outs and respect, loses to DP, high option.

5CC/3C > pumpkin > 2D > block > 2B - Beats jump outs, respect and DP, low option.

5CC/3C > pumpkin > 2D > j.4AB > late j.B - should beat DPs and respect, can go into a fuzzy afterwards.

5CC and 3C are pretty much the same here, the Rachel player can react to your tech choices and you have little option other than wake-up block or wake-up DP. Just be happy that Rachel is probably going to lose some wind here.

Frog and Pumpkin   

No specific scenarios around this one, you've pretty much going to have to block here. Rachel can just wind the pumpkin down and it'll keep you in the frog while being DP safe. You're going to have to eat a mixup here and be happy that the Rachel has used some wind and put George into recovery.

So this is all well and good but like... what you're still guessing a bunch of stuff. Guessing stuff really sucks.

(I GOT TO HERE AND ACCIDENTALLY REFRESHED...PRAISE THE BOARD (sounds like Lord... get it?) FOR AUTO-SAVED CONTENT)

You're going to have to hit the neutral pretty hard and avoid having to block anything. There's a few things to look out for... off the top of my head...

when you're coming at her, Jump back > pumpkin > 1D > 6D: Covers A LOT of space below and in front of Rachel on the ground. This will give Rachel a chance to mix up but it uses 2 wind by itself which means 1 or 2 mixups and probably frog oki. 

- If you see this early enough you can attempt to itsuu through the pumpkin and hit an itsuu B

- You can jump over the ground pumpkin at which point you can choose to come down with j.B and beat out a 5B or j.D or air dash away in fear of 6A

full-ish screen, frog > B/C lobelia > 6D: This puts you in block stun long enough and pushes George forward enough to almost guarantee a blockstring into frog pressure, only uses 1 wind and often puts you in the corner as a result.

- DO NOT try to itsuu through this... you will die.

- Jump back to avoid the lobelia, air dash over George while Rachel is in recovery from the lobelia

- IB the lobelia and attempt to jump out of George... This one is harder because of the IB on a projectile

with an odd speed (thanks wind) and may not work if George is too close but if you pull it off, it means

that George has to recover

full-ish screen, j.3D > air dash > j.B: Gets Rachel in extremely quickly and starts her pressure very easily. Costs 1 wind and often means you're in the corner... possibly just after bursting her out.

- Anti-air her! Oh shit, you're Litchi! You have no good anti-air! Proceed to attempt to block mixups while

your vision is blurred by tears.

- Throw out a yomi DP... definitely a scary option but with the hitbox coming back down, it's hard to punish

if she didn't actually air dash in.

- Itsuu is risky here as it's hard to get a move out before Rachel hits you after landing... use at own risk

- The best response is unfortunately situational... If the staff is near you, you can send out a 5D if staff is

vertical or a 41236D if staff is horizontal... it'll blow this up.

General stuff...

I'm a big fan of not killing George... Litchi doesn't have the best tools, mainly because moves that kill George aren't jump cancellable or are really slow (6D[m], 3C[m]) but also because killing George does not put him back on cooldown... George only goes on cooldown once he activates. For this reason, running up and IAD backwards is really good and leaves Rachel without a frog for a while. Do this with care, especially with the pumpkin around, it can be an issue if you get hit on the way in.

Rachel's 6A anti-air is amazing. So good...

Don't try to cross it up, it'll hit you.

Don't try to double jump to bait it, she can just do it again.

Don't try to hide under the covers, the boogey-man 6A will find you.

I find that your best option is j.D[m] as it halts your air movement and CHs 6A. At which point you can land and do 6[6][D] as she recovers to get yourself some nice pressure.

Without staff, you want to back off... really.

When your staff clashes with a lobelia, Rachel can use lightning on said staff before it touches the ground.

This WILL catch you out when you think you're safe because you deflected the lobelia and it WILL suck.

Keep this in mind.

Choose your horizontal and vertical staff sets carefully.

Vertical staff blows up air lobelias and pumpkin summons. Horizontal staff blows up ground lobelias and pumpkin summons. This feels more important than most other matchups because of the penalty involved in getting it wrong (it's death).

Itsuu is not as good in this MU as you would really like it to be.

Rachel is made of projectiles but she's also made of movement options.

She has ways of getting in between itsuu angles and punishing itsuu whiffs hard without much issue.

Use it every now and then but don't rely on it.

TK lightning is plus on block. Don't screw around after she does it. Feel free to DP her out of the follow up though. It's generally not plus enough to gaplessly run in and follow up.

If she ever escapes pressure and does the whole "wind to the other side of the stage at the top of the screen" thing. Feel free to 6[6] at her all day or attempt to DP her while she's going up and still in the corner. At that point you're not really punishable and it'll reach up that far and allow a short combo into pressure afterwards.

Wind will stop 63214B[e].

This really annoys me.

If Rachel winds when you do 63214B, you'll jump at the staff and just plain miss... often ending in you getting CH.

Use this when you know Rachel isn't going to wind stuff around.

DO NOT COUNTER ASSAULT OUT OF GEORGE BLOCKSTUN.

Rachel has no real reason to do anything but block and regain wind while George is going.

You're just giving her a free punish.

Uhhhhh... That's all I can think of.

This MU is kind of fun but kind of frustrating if you guess wrong often enough. You just need to accept that you're going to get hit sometimes when you're in pressure. Just take whatever you can get out of a successful guess and carry on.

Some of this may be slightly off. I play this MU often and have dabbled in playing Rachel myself though so hopefully I'm OK.

Aaaaaaalso... I didn't really proof read this... so yeah