Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urichinan

[CP] Litchi vs. Valkenhayn

Ok after fighting a good valk for so long I might as well write something here but the worst part about this match up is that , people always say - blah blah -> its litchi , all she has to do is throw out the staff. Yes its that easy but No it doesn't always work out as perfect as people assume it to be.

Ok so lets say you are at a good distance from valk - and he's going to approach you via Wolf mode.

Now if you do 2D staff set and launch (where the staff flies forward near the floor) Valk can do the following counter measures:
-He can do 4D and bounce above the hit box of the 2D staff launch and instantly reply with a Wolf J.A
-He can do a wolf cannon over the 2D staff launch and possibly hit you out of the air or if you block - > force you to start blocking his mix up after you just tried to get him to respect your pressure.
-He can completely jump over you if you IAD'd in and just reset the neutral by switching sides. (where you'll both be on separate sides of the screen.)
-If you do 2D Staff set and 41236D to make the staff spin - the same things do happen where he can either run away - ignore pressure or , dodge it and wolf cannon or just dash in after dodging the staff.

Now if you do a 5D staff Set and launches (Where the staff flies up and over -> then back down and back down returning to litchi) valk can do the following counter measures:

-If you launched the staff from a 5D staff Set - he will either be hit out of wolf mode or if the valk's movement is on point - he'll turn back in to a human and will have to respect your potential air game/mixup which will probably be something like J,a's in to air combo and a J.2D hard knock down in to potential mix up from the staff being set again. (you could do 4kote and do a type of mixup or even possible 6b Feint mixes , anything you can mix up - > try it whiles he's close and in human mode - you have him where you want him , blocking and in human form)
-He can 4D , Any approach from the ground and rush in to put you in pressure or potentially hit you.
-He could just run forward and use a possible normal that can knock you out of your normal or he can do a wolf cannon. (If he gets a CH he will be able to combo + wall carry you)

these are a few examples of how simply "throwing the staff out" can get you killed if you don't understand Valkenhayns mix up.

I would suggest watching this video to understand Valkenhayn's wolf break and also look at the part of the video that shows what is mash-safe and what is unmashable during his wolf braking technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZR8i5xIz2c

I'll be work on this match up often since i have a very dangerous Valkenhayn in my area .... but like i said before- the staff maybe give valks a bad time - because they can't move freely like how they would vs for example a ragna or tsubaki but he can still disrespect litchi's options.

-MORE INFO-

It would be wise to sometimes stand behind the staff and watch how the valk player will react.  This helps because you can then see if the valk you're playing is patient or careful when approaching. Its annoying seeing valk's savagely jump around the screen Sonic the hedgehog so once you get a bit of data on the valk from waiting near the staff , you can then test the valk player by doing a few 2D / 5D launches and seeing how they react. If you find that the valk is easy to read and deal with and is impatient , you just run / jump along with the staff.

Also in terms of w[5B] (Valk's Wolf mode anti air)  it SOMETIMES clashes or trades with J.B/J.C but Its not something you really want to pray for.

If he gets a CH w5B and it trades>  he can still combo off it and get good corner carry via human > wolf mode combo.

Some Valk's fail to respect j.D at times but its nothing you wish to rely on 100% because some valk's will run under you , so that j.D[m] Whiffs and if you dare jump on the staff after > they'll just run under the staff and w5B you before you can do 63214A/B/C.

The main plan about his match up is to see how the valk deals with your launches and use different staff sets to capture him. 

A personally trick I do vs valks from full screen , I use 4kote and make the staff go off the screen and then choose 4kote or 6kote and run with it (but the valk can't see the staff so its a guessing game on whether he shud jump in or dash forward or maybe he'll play it safe and just avoid everything by jumping up high and wolf cannoning to the other side - rethinking his/her approach.